Sensitive Question: Is It All About The Drugs?

deadfan

do drugs enhance the experience?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. do drugs enhance the GD experience?

• Yes, I wont go unless I have some.
    • I would go to a show without but won't have as good a time.
    • I would go to a show with or without... it makes no difference.
    • I don't believe in drug usage @ shows.

As far as Im concerned...anyone that is a regular here is hardcore....anyway there you have it....My hypothesis is crushed. The next question is did you see the GD....because if you managed to make your way through the contagious abyss of psychedelic rebirth that was a Grateful Dead show....Im impressed...

Alas, I did not...I was seven when we lost Jerry, and my folks are not/were not the type to go to a GD show. Roughly 30 DSO shows, one Dead '09, one Furthur, a few Phish/Trey Band shows, a few fests...so it's not like there was shortage of opportunity. Just don't feel like trying it at this point!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Devoted

Dear Happy Asian,

While it is most impressive that LSD has firmed your eggroll and allowed your girlfriend to experience "Acid Rock" vicariously through you, nonetheless I am here to remind you that polite company does not discuss "sex" or "drugs" on a public internet forum!

As titillating as these topics may seem, they are considered "private" and when linked to a public forum where anyone may lurk for reasons of their own, may come back to burn those who so freely discuss them. Nothing is private on the internet. Of course you must make your own choices but it could be considered unkind and unwise to associate DSO with anything illegal, as these fine young Musicians go to great lengths to provide their fans with a safe, fun and open environment to enjoy music and friendship together!

Abby

• Forum MVP

Dear Happy Asian,

While it is most impressive that LSD has firmed your eggroll and allowed your girlfriend to experience "Acid Rock" vicariously through you, nonetheless I am here to remind you that polite company does not discuss "sex" or "drugs" on a public internet forum!

As titillating as these topics may seem, they are considered "private" and when linked to a public forum where anyone may lurk for reasons of their own, may come back to burn those who so freely discuss them. Nothing is private on the internet. Of course you must make your own choices but it could be considered unkind and unwise to associate DSO with anything illegal, as these fine young Musicians go to great lengths to provide their fans with a safe, fun and open environment to enjoy music and friendship together!

Abby

Ahhhhhh the voice of reason is back. I concur in toto. I'm really not into censorship..... but in this case I actually think this whole thread should be deleted.The conversation just doesn't seem healthy for a public board such as this, and could possibly be damaging. Maybe it's just me.

• Forum MVP

Deadicated to Dave, the "Happy Asian" aka 'deadfan.

Sung to the tune of "Revolution" by Lennon and McCartney

"The Forums" are an Institution,

like grape jello.

It's our happy Starhead world.

You tried to make a contribution,

whoa, hell no

and your "poll" it really blows.

'Cause 'drug use" polls serve no good function,

on a web that's public have no doubt...

Cavey knows it's gonna be, all right.

You're tight, all night!

Your words are like a web pollution.

Time you go,

"Happy Asian" little man.

Your girl say's you're a "Lilliputian",

she would know

'cause your chopstick's not a "man".

But Dave it's not funny to link something really "grate",

with drug use in public, you moron, go masterbate!

Cavey knows it's gonna be all right.

You're tight, all night.

My drumstick is my contribution,

I'll go slow.

I just want to feed your head.

No MSG in my solution,

Asian bro'.

At least you are Kung Fu in bed!

And if you drop Acid and think you're a hipster now,

at least in your dreamworld you can be "Chairman Wow".

Cavey knows it's gonna be all right.

You're tight, all night!

Love,

Cavey :wub:

Welcome Home My Friend !!! :hug2:

You gotta be careful with the thread deletions and the request to do so , setting president could blow up right in all our faces ... although I agree that this thread is a weeeee bit over the top and has little spots of tension ... as it stands right now it is up to the author of the thread to moderate his or her own topic ... but even that cause's issues , y'all remember the shit pot that was stirred up when I deleted a couple of my own threads and the spot I was put on for doing so ...

Yea I freaked out once to a deleted thread. At the time I had no idea that threads could be deleted by the original poster. Another poster implied censorship and I got all fired up. Plus I think I had liked what I had posted in the deleted thread and I was just mad it was gone. I got over it and I learned a lesson about getting to serious on message boards.

• Forum MVP

Yea I freaked out once to a deleted thread. At the time I had no idea that threads could be deleted by the original poster. Another poster implied censorship and I got all fired up. Plus I think I had liked what I had posted in the deleted thread and I was just mad it was gone. I got over it and I learned a lesson about getting to serious on message boards.

Tom , that was my thread that I deleted and the repercussions stirred up a lot of unnecessary , un-called for bad feelings mostly because of how I handled the situation ... live and learn and try not to fall in a stirring pot ... :cheers:

• Forum MVP

Damn, I go away for a week and you get a thread that not only causes the return of Dear Abby but our first Cavey song in months!!!!! How can I NOT comment:

My $0.02

#1 I agreee that this is a FABULOUS topic while sitting with your friends or having a face to face discussion. NOT for public internet forums.

#2 Nothing is absolute, so it is all just speculation. What would have happened if Jerry's brother hadn't chopped off his finger with an ax? You could never possibly answer that question, so it is all just speculation and good debate. It could be easily argued/debated that one different decision by any of the members of the band(or any of us for that matter) and there may not of been a GD PERIOD. Had you not taken a left turn by mistake that one day, 20 years ago, you could have been hit by that bus and it would have changed everything.

Things are the way they are because of the choices that we all make each and every day and no choice for one is the right choice for another. Obviously, Owlsey had a fantastic, long term relationship with LSD and there is not a single one of us who would be enjoying some of the music that we enjoy(GD or other bands) without him and his love for it(I'm speaking of his brilliant adaptations of sound, for those who do not know his history). Conversely, I grew up down the street from a guy named Billy, who I found out later liked to try LSD when he was a teenager in the 70s. He was an absolute walking fucking zombie. There was absolutely no life in that guys eyes and he could barely walk down the street, let alone hold a conversation.

One man gathers what another man spills.

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Damn, I go away for a week and you get a thread that not only causes the return of Dear Abby but our first Cavey song in months!!!!! How can I NOT comment:

My $0.02

#1 I agreee that this is a FABULOUS topic while sitting with your friends or having a face to face discussion. NOT for public internet forums.

#2 Nothing is absolute, so it is all just speculation. What would have happened if Jerry's brother hadn't chopped off his finger with an ax? You could never possibly answer that question, so it is all just speculation and good debate. It could be easily argued/debated that one different decision by any of the members of the band(or any of us for that matter) and there may not of been a GD PERIOD. Had you not taken a left turn by mistake that one day, 20 years ago, you could have been hit by that bus and it would have changed everything.

Things are the way they are because of the choices that we all make each and every day and no choice for one is the right choice for another. Obviously, Owlsey had a fantastic, long term relationship with LSD and there is not a single one of us who would be enjoying some of the music that we enjoy(GD or other bands) without him and his love for it(I'm speaking of his brilliant adaptations of sound, for those who do not know his history). Conversely, I grew up down the street from a guy named Billy, who I found out later liked to try LSD when he was a teenager in the 70s. He was an absolute walking fucking zombie. There was absolutely no life in that guys eyes and he could barely walk down the street, let alone hold a conversation.

One man gathers what another man spills.

:dsorocks:

This is a GREAT post ... anything could have changed the course of the music , but we all followed our roads and that led up to this day ... I wish for one change and that I wish we had Jerry and Brent a little longer , they went too young and too soon ... but that might have thrown other things off , so I guess they followed their roads too ... really an excellent post !!!

• Forum MVP

As far as Im concerned...anyone that is a regular here is hardcore....anyway there you have it....My hypothesis is crushed. The next question is did you see the GD....because if you managed to make your way through the contagious abyss of psychedelic rebirth that was a Grateful Dead show....Im impressed...

+2

I'm definitely "dead to the core." 80+ dso shows, and 100s and 100s of other jam shows under my belt.

Never dosed. Never will. And I'm all about consciousness expansion... but i've found that the secret formula is all in the music- no additives needed!

• Forum MVP

As far as Im concerned...anyone that is a regular here is hardcore....

I agree Ty ... anyone that is a regular here is hardcore ... and the diversity in age and experience is what makes this board so good ... the members here cover all the years of GD and DSO ... we get to share what we've experienced and enjoy what we missed vicariously through those that were there when we weren't ...

+2

I'm definitely "dead to the core."

and Jordan , I'm so impressed by the deadication of the youngsters here ... you young guys are really taking the music very seriously and that may be in part why we all still have it to enjoy ...

• Advisory Board

Futhurmore, please speak for yourself and not for others about how much fun a person can have.

Agreed!!

As for the assertion that Bobby was tripping at the Nokia show, you don't know that. Only that Phil, for whatever reason, decided to publicly cast the situation in that light the next evening.

Bobby didn't get dosed at the Nokia shows... Bob didn't get ANYTHING slipped to him, what Bobby had done to him, he did it to himself... and no LSD was involved... This is a fact... How do I know? I know because I have a friend who's in the orginization... don't ask me to elaborate on what he was on, or what actually happened, because I'm not at liberty to tell anyone... I just wanted to clear up the fact that Bob DID NOT get dosed...

Sober or high it don't matter.

For once, I am in complete agreement with tbones...

but i've found that the secret formula is all in the music- no additives needed!

Well said, Jordan!!

Deadfan, how old are you? Did you ever actually see Jerry with the Grateful Dead? I hope you understand that you are giving "history" lessons to most of us on here that have been on the bus for many decades. It seems to me that you are somewhat new to the "bus", and that you probably have never gone to a show sober... I'm not saying its a bad thing, but you shouldn't be stating that you are having a better time at shows because you are dosed... I got on the bus in 1993 with The Grateful Dead, and I got on the bus with DSO back in 2000... over 300+ shows with DSO, and probably as many shows that are jam band related... I thought the same way you did back when I was younger, that if I didn't have the psychedelics, I wouldn't have a good time.... That is definatly NOT the case for ME atleast.. As much as I enjoy a good trip here and there with shows, I LOVE the shows just as much when I'm sober.. The only thing that really makes me have a better time when I partake in mind bending substances, is that I don't remember that I have bad knees, and a bad back when I tear up the dance floor.

To each their own when it comes to any substances at shows, but you certainly should not tell people that they would have a better time on something when they go to shows.. Everyone, especally LSD, has a different experience at shows when taking something... one man gathers what another man spills...

For once, I am in complete agreement with tbones...

Damn it.

BTW....I understand that many DSO folks who love the music have never gone "there"....The love of the music is real....Thinking that its all about the drugs minimizes the value of the experience and our love of the music.

Damn it.

BTW....I understand that many DSO folks who love the music have never gone "there"....The love of the music is real....Thinking that its all about the drugs minimizes the value of the experience and our love of the music.

What is this "LSD" that everyone keeps talking about? :)

What is this "LSD" that everyone keeps talking about? :)

I remember in my high school days it used to stand for "Long Slow Distance (Run)," which is what we on the cross country team used to do two days before the race.

I don't have the foggiest idea, though, why people think it would be a good idea to try this during a DSO show...I mean for one the venues aren't typically large enough that you could really get a good run in without being repetitive, and I don't think the other concertgoers would much care for crazies running laps around the floor...hell, some people here get upset when people walk back to their spot on the floor during a song! How do you deal with people doing a 10K mid-show?

• Forum MVP

I remember in my high school days it used to stand for "Long Slow Distance (Run)," which is what we on the cross country team used to do two days before the race.

I don't have the foggiest idea, though, why people think it would be a good idea to try this during a DSO show...I mean for one the venues aren't typically large enough that you could really get a good run in without being repetitive, and I don't think the other concertgoers would much care for crazies running laps around the floor...hell, some people here get upset when people walk back to their spot on the floor during a song! How do you deal with people doing a 10K mid-show?

It takes a certain skill to carve through the crowd. It's a game. Some people some suck at it. Don't fear the dancer. :cheers:

I dosed a bit at a number of different Dead Shows. I gave it up around '81. I just didn't like tripping for 5 or 6 hours after the show. I wanted to come down as soon as the lights came on. Just never happened. That's usually when the mind would wonder to the not so happy place.

Peace,

Joe

Guest jazz-man

Chuck, you beat me to the punch. Every Chicagoan or former-Chicagoan knows it's all about Lake Shore Drive!

To look at another person and know that you are having more fun than them, I dunno how you do that?

• Forum MVP

Every time I see a really absurd poll or post on this forum, it seems it is from you, Deadfan. I don't mean this as an insult, I understand the inquisitiveness behind many of your questions. However, I continuously think to myself each time I read your topics that many of them are better suited to lot conversation than to public record internet posting.

This topic is especially disturbing, but everyone else has already outlined the reasons why.

Perhaps ego dissolution is is often overlooked in favor of dance skill enhancement when people go to shows.

I am sober at almost every show that I attend and I have to tell you that I get asked for colorful substances very consistently because I ALWAYS have an ABSURDLY good time that those who "need" something to enjoy the music always seem to want to bother those who are gleaming with its energy, because they ASSUME it is the DRUGS. Kind of a bummer, but I try to take it as a compliment.

It is MUCH EASIER to deal with people when we are sober. Nothing like a vampire lady dressed in black coming to your spot to suck our energy and dance on us or the dude who won't stop standing on my man's feet because he is short.... these situations are easier to deal with while maintaining good vibes when sober- "drugs" on any level can make us more likely to "do nothing" or "get pissed" (what's the diff bw a hippie and a deadhead? i'll punch you in the face..... ha)

so, anyways, I just think it is absurd to think that anything is truly "better" with a "drug"..... lets get this conversation and poll on a level of world views, cultures and perceptions of reality and we can have a real conversation about what brings us all together over this music, because I can ASSURE you that even when the drugs are good, they are NOT what brings us together or makes the music rock our soul.........

Archived