Sensitive Question: Is It All About The Drugs?

deadfan

do drugs enhance the experience?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. do drugs enhance the GD experience?

• Yes, I wont go unless I have some.
    • I would go to a show without but won't have as good a time.
    • I would go to a show with or without... it makes no difference.
    • I don't believe in drug usage @ shows.

Every time I see a really absurd poll or post on this forum, it seems it is from you, Deadfan. I don't mean this as an insult, I understand the inquisitiveness behind many of your questions. However, I continuously think to myself each time I read your topics that many of them are better suited to lot conversation than to public record internet posting.

This topic is especially disturbing, but everyone else has already outlined the reasons why.

Perhaps ego dissolution is is often overlooked in favor of dance skill enhancement when people go to shows.

I am sober at almost every show that I attend and I have to tell you that I get asked for colorful substances very consistently because I ALWAYS have an ABSURDLY good time that those who "need" something to enjoy the music always seem to want to bother those who are gleaming with its energy, because they ASSUME it is the DRUGS. Kind of a bummer, but I try to take it as a compliment.

It is MUCH EASIER to deal with people when we are sober. Nothing like a vampire lady dressed in black coming to your spot to suck our energy and dance on us or the dude who won't stop standing on my man's feet because he is short.... these situations are easier to deal with while maintaining good vibes when sober- "drugs" on any level can make us more likely to "do nothing" or "get pissed" (what's the diff bw a hippie and a deadhead? i'll punch you in the face..... ha)

so, anyways, I just think it is absurd to think that anything is truly "better" with a "drug"..... lets get this conversation and poll on a level of world views, cultures and perceptions of reality and we can have a real conversation about what brings us all together over this music, because I can ASSURE you that even when the drugs are good, they are NOT what brings us together or makes the music rock our soul.........

ego dissolution???? is that like a tasty cake and a cool breeze??!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am sober at almost every show that I attend and I have to tell you that I get asked for colorful substances very consistently because I ALWAYS have an ABSURDLY good time that those who "need" something to enjoy the music always seem to want to bother those who are gleaming with its energy, because they ASSUME it is the DRUGS. Kind of a bummer, but I try to take it as a compliment.

I like to have some colorful substances here and there, but no matter what, I always get down and dance my ass off like it's the last time I'll dance, even while I'm completely sober. People come up to me and ask if I have Drug A and Drug B, just because I'm totally feelin the music and appear to be on drugs, even though I'm not. But in MY own opinion, I honestly think my experiences with acid and mushies have made me be able to feel the music and vibe without those drugs even in my body. They've made me open up to expressing myself the way I do when I dance or spin poi. Without those eye-opening experiences behind me I don't think I'd be so quick to fully express myself through dance like I do, because before those experiences, I was a completely different person. I never danced or felt music. But now that I have such experiences behind me I can express myself knowing that it doesn't matter if someone may think I look silly flailing my arms everywhere and diggin' it the way I do, I'm happy and it's all good! I'm not saying you have to have taken drugs even once in your life to feel the music in this way, but this is how it worked for me.

• Forum MVP

You hand in your ticket

And you go watch the geek

Who immediately walks up to you

When he hears you speak

And says, "How does it feel

To be such a freak ?"

And you say, "Impossible"

As he hands you a bone.

• Forum MVP

ego dissolution???? is that like a tasty cake and a cool breeze??!

nah, it doesn't taste good (it's kind of bitter) and it can make you pretty hot and sweaty until it's gone........ but I guess once you're all mixed up back into the chaos it's a lot easier to taste and feel again.

• Forum MVP

I wouldn't be me if I didn't go ahead and take this thread a different way.

Was it Robert Anton Wilson who had that AWESOME chart about which "drugs/substances" activate which specific chakras/gland centers in the body? I'm pretty sure the McKenna's also have a similar view.... relating from memory, I am pretty sure that things like alcohol, sugar, caffeine, cocaine, and opiates were all under the "lower chakras" category, while psychedelics and THC were all under the upper 2 chakras. At the time that RAW was writing Cosmic Trigger, where I remember seeing this chart, there was NO substance for the heart chakra, and he had a lot to say about what that substance could do for society. I think we all know that with the help of Shulgin and the medical community, MDMA definitely found it's way to the people, for better and worse, like everything else we use our divine gifts to create in order to enhance life on earth and then hang our heads when the growing pains ensue.

I absolutely advocate that each individual live his or her life to the fullest and has a chance to experience every facet of opportunity of happiness, and recognize that at each stage of our life, we may need activation of different parts of ourselves in order to eventually achieve our purpose. I think I will probably be a freaking psychedelic warrior until the day I break through for the last time in death, but when talking about substances, it is VITAL to differentiate between drugs that activate our lower chakras and enslave us into addictions and realization only of our most basic needs, and mind expanding substances that work directly with the upper chakras to activate parts of our reality that we were hitherto unaware of. In the heart chakra, being in the middle, the substance carries break-through qualities of the mind expanders, but can easily lead to addiction because we as humans are just so freaking desperate for love, we easily enslave ourselves to its pursuit. I don't directly advocate or abhor any specific drugs, or their effects on people (except maybe sugar or caffeine because the long-term human consequences in society due to our collective addiction are the most devastating with these, though I am a slave like most of us... or maybe the pharmaceutical industry as a whole)..... but I gotta say,

the BEST SHOW VIBES (not necessarily best shows) I feel, are when people are sober or on pot & colors in venues that don't sell alcohol. but maybe I just particularly like going to such things because I LOVE interacting with people who are acting with LOVE in those crazy upper realms where we can all just get along riding the rainbow.... its sexy and beautiful and enriching.

There are certain eras of GD music that I like more because of the substances of choice by both band and audience from that time (as I only get to be a fan thru recordings), but that doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, and at the end of the day the drug being used by the audience and band was no MORE or LESS than a reflection of American yearning, itself a reflection of World desire, which of course fractals all the way up to the divine center of the entire universe itself, so is always exactly what it needs to be. When taking a psychedelic journey during Grateful Dead music, one of the most beautiful parts is the OVERWHELMING sensation of ALL the same journeys undertaken by SO MANY over SO MUCH TIME that brought everyone to different places, but still, all swimming together. We recently decided we will never EVER even consider partaking in such a sacred journey at any other live show if it isn't Grateful Dead, which I tie directly to that feeling I just mentioned.

The journey is just empty without Grateful Dead.

But the Grateful Dead is still full without the journey.... every fucking time.

And DSO is THE MOST reliable band as far as that particular journey is concerned..... I wonder what it is like for some of you that have ended up in the same altered state at a DSO show as you were at the Dead show they are recreating.... that has to be a really spectacular and life affirming feeling. But I guess it's also as good to go now sober and actually remember everything you see and hear.........

Still think this is a silly topic for the internet, but I have no shame, and as it has always been my life calling to talk to people in person or otherwise about perceptions, feelings and universal mediums, I felt I needed to actually take the time to say how I really feel about it, because our ability to transcend our affection of our points of view, however induced, is what it means to truly be human, and leaping off the tower into the wind is the only way we fly, but also the only way we fall.

Deadfan, I still can't wait to meet you because I think you, me and my man will have a gazillion hours of conversation to wade through, and it will be really fun. Come out to CO for DSO :)

• Forum MVP

I've been thinking about this thread and it's place on this board ... because I know that most of us here ( and I do know many of you guys) are either sober , been there done that and don't do it anymore , or enjoy a beer or two responsibly and as I look at the title of this thread , I can see how irrelevant the subject is to where we are at in our lives now , most of us can't relate to it anymore ... we really are all about the music and the friendships the GD and DSO helped to forge ... so if it were to be removed or float off into the abyss from lack of responses , then , bye bye useless thread ... :)

bye bye useless thread ... :)

I just wanted to say that while this is certainly a sensitive topic (everyone's reaction within this thread confirms this fact) and while Deadfan did make some pretty ridiculous and poorly thougt out statements -- Anyone who thinks this thread is "useless" has their head in the sand, in my opinion.

Drug usage is and always has been a part of the Grateful Dead concertgoing experience. By this, I simply mean that there are great numbers of people at just about all Grateful Dead related concerts that are either high, hammered, or tripping. To deny this fact is to be, well, in denial. So since this drug usage DOES exist in large numbers at Grateful Dead related concerts, why not discuss it and be open about it? The Dead community and the DSO community are filled with kind, intelligent, reasonable people. There is no reason on earth why we shouldn't all be able to be open with each other about a topic so central to the history and mythology of a band that we all care so deeply about. Perhaps this conversation would be better suited to a living room than a message board, but now that Deadfan has brought the topic out into the open, why hide from it or denigrate him for mentioning it? Again, I certainly don't agree with many of Deadfan's statements, and in particular I found it distasteful and foolish for him to assert that anyone who isn't on drugs isn't having fun. But that having been said, our community has always been -- to a large degree -- about freedom of personal expression. Just because someone has expressed an opinion with which we do not agree does not mean that we should denigrate the OP or his topic. Its a valid topic, and in my estimation it deserves valid consideration and discussion.

• Forum MVP

Anyone who thinks this thread is "useless" has their head in the sand, in my opinion.

although I live near the beach , my head is NEVER in the sand , it's always on a towel or a chaise-lounge ... but you have the right to your opinions , as we all do ... :cheers:

• Forum MVP

[quote name='deadfan' date='07 July 2011 - 04:35 PM' timestamp='1310074542' po

! people were tripping and from my point of view, those were the people who were truly having the best times.. they weren't just sitting watching the show but joinilng in and becoming part of it and to me, that is what it is all about.

this is some funny shit here i must say

I wouldn't be me if I didn't go ahead and take this thread a different way.

Was it Robert Anton Wilson who had that AWESOME chart about which "drugs/substances" activate which specific chakras/gland centers in the body? I'm pretty sure the McKenna's also have a similar view.... relating from memory, I am pretty sure that things like alcohol, sugar, caffeine, cocaine, and opiates were all under the "lower chakras" category, while psychedelics and THC were all under the upper 2 chakras. At the time that RAW was writing Cosmic Trigger, where I remember seeing this chart, there was NO substance for the heart chakra, and he had a lot to say about what that substance could do for society. I think we all know that with the help of Shulgin and the medical community, MDMA definitely found it's way to the people, for better and worse, like everything else we use our divine gifts to create in order to enhance life on earth and then hang our heads when the growing pains ensue.

I absolutely advocate that each individual live his or her life to the fullest and has a chance to experience every facet of opportunity of happiness, and recognize that at each stage of our life, we may need activation of different parts of ourselves in order to eventually achieve our purpose. I think I will probably be a freaking psychedelic warrior until the day I break through for the last time in death, but when talking about substances, it is VITAL to differentiate between drugs that activate our lower chakras and enslave us into addictions and realization only of our most basic needs, and mind expanding substances that work directly with the upper chakras to activate parts of our reality that we were hitherto unaware of. In the heart chakra, being in the middle, the substance carries break-through qualities of the mind expanders, but can easily lead to addiction because we as humans are just so freaking desperate for love, we easily enslave ourselves to its pursuit. I don't directly advocate or abhor any specific drugs, or their effects on people (except maybe sugar or caffeine because the long-term human consequences in society due to our collective addiction are the most devastating with these, though I am a slave like most of us... or maybe the pharmaceutical industry as a whole)..... but I gotta say,

the BEST SHOW VIBES (not necessarily best shows) I feel, are when people are sober or on pot & colors in venues that don't sell alcohol. but maybe I just particularly like going to such things because I LOVE interacting with people who are acting with LOVE in those crazy upper realms where we can all just get along riding the rainbow.... its sexy and beautiful and enriching.

There are certain eras of GD music that I like more because of the substances of choice by both band and audience from that time (as I only get to be a fan thru recordings), but that doesn't mean there aren't exceptions, and at the end of the day the drug being used by the audience and band was no MORE or LESS than a reflection of American yearning, itself a reflection of World desire, which of course fractals all the way up to the divine center of the entire universe itself, so is always exactly what it needs to be. When taking a psychedelic journey during Grateful Dead music, one of the most beautiful parts is the OVERWHELMING sensation of ALL the same journeys undertaken by SO MANY over SO MUCH TIME that brought everyone to different places, but still, all swimming together. We recently decided we will never EVER even consider partaking in such a sacred journey at any other live show if it isn't Grateful Dead, which I tie directly to that feeling I just mentioned.

The journey is just empty without Grateful Dead.

But the Grateful Dead is still full without the journey.... every fucking time.

And DSO is THE MOST reliable band as far as that particular journey is concerned..... I wonder what it is like for some of you that have ended up in the same altered state at a DSO show as you were at the Dead show they are recreating.... that has to be a really spectacular and life affirming feeling. But I guess it's also as good to go now sober and actually remember everything you see and hear.........

Still think this is a silly topic for the internet, but I have no shame, and as it has always been my life calling to talk to people in person or otherwise about perceptions, feelings and universal mediums, I felt I needed to actually take the time to say how I really feel about it, because our ability to transcend our affection of our points of view, however induced, is what it means to truly be human, and leaping off the tower into the wind is the only way we fly, but also the only way we fall.

Deadfan, I still can't wait to meet you because I think you, me and my man will have a gazillion hours of conversation to wade through, and it will be really fun. Come out to CO for DSO :)

can u repeat that? whoa - and all that was going to stay at my place!?

• Forum MVP

It's going to be just SD on the 22nd and the two SF shows for me. Wish I could do more but responsibility calls.

May do Furthur at Monterey but after Shoreline, I'm on the fence...

same here on Monterey ... and was also on the fence about DSO SD , but that's changing , so prolly see ya in SD for a real good time !!! :cheers:

Archived