Favorite Grateful Dead Show Opener ...

comesatime

• Forum MVP

We had front row for the 1993 Scarlet Fire second set opener. It was kinda scary at the 1995 scene with the huge crowd, but Jerry pulled out the slide for the only verse of Fire and that was OK by me. There is a monitor recording around and you can hear Jerry talking about people's cameras looking like guns and how could they shorten the show enough to get the hell outta there. The second show was cancelled so we went to the Indy zoo and strip clubs instead, yahoo!!

That second set was played with the lights ON. You can't even imagine how weird that was...to see them play with the lights on at night. People were just looking at one another so weirded out. But the GD had played so many shows that any difference like that sometimes sparked stuff, and that Fire was going to be something very special with Garcia doing some nice stuff vocally and playing some pretty mean ass stuff for the first solo before deciding to end it right there.

Never heard the in house mic stuff you are talking about Crew...makes me think that Garcia planned it that way on the Fire. I had always assumed he decided spur of the moment as if to say..."you guys don't deserve an all time Fire!" after that first solo.

Also of note is the way he echoed the chorus on H C Sunshine...pretty neat how he did that, even though I've never listened to any of this. I do remember the Suger being VERY muscular as well.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd95-07-02.aud.unk.12578.sbeok.shnf

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Papaphunk

But the second set Shakedown opener felt perfect.

I was to the left (the side of the entrance) too, dancing near the speakers they had set up on the stairs. I spent the first set trying to find where the "good vibes" are, and I think this was the spot. One can't see the band but can dance in every which way. Only part I didn't like right there was the lack of Phil power. I could definitely hear him well, but not feel him.

Same spot! Def good vibes over there. Figured i'd seen the band plenty times before

Twas a very fun dance party

It is one of the great tid-bits on you tube....

It was so nice to see that again. Little Feat finished their set, and the skies just opened up. It POURED right up until the boys came out and started tuning up. I vividly remember watching Jerry's hair blowing in cool a breeze as that awesome Eyes began to roll. It was a really nice moment for me at the start of really good show:)

Thank you!

• Forum MVP
Hamilton county is a pretty scary place btw...democrats don't even TRY to run for anything there.

Phhhhhht. It's a very even bet that Hamiltonians feel the same about SF county.

• Forum MVP

Phhhhhht. It's a very even bet that Hamiltonians feel the same about SF county.

That's a VERY safe bet.

Bush senior speaks for them when he declared us 'misguided Marin hot-tubbers.'

My guess is the whole idea of San Francisco makes counties like Hamilton shiver.

• Advisory Board

3.17.95 in Philadelphia is the other time it was a 1st set opener that year...

Tried to get into that show... went up to Philly, but couldn't score a ticket... the ONLY person I saw selling a ticket was selling it for $150!!! That was alot of money (still is) to a 17 year old kid...

• Forum MVP

How often was Here Comes Sunshine an opener? I don't know of any Dead Base feature that allows one to look only at set openers.

16 shows. '73 (3); '92 (1); '93 (6); '94 (4); '95 (2). I would rank them in this order - the 3 in '73 in reverse order and then the rest in chronological order.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Walking the Dog from Philly Spring 1985 and Day Tripper from Blossom '85 summer spree! How about your favorite JGB opener? I'd have to say Melody or Love in the Afternoon.

When did he ever open a show with Love in the Afternoon?

I can't think of a one...but I'm sure you're right if you remember seeing one.

Me and my friends were always hoping for Melody.

I think one of the better openers was Rhapsody in Red though. Just so much freakin energy for a song to start off a show. Check out 5/31/83 NYC for one that will blow your lid.

I was at Jerry Day yesterday listening to Stu play a nice Love in the Afternoon when some of us were trying to figure out who wrote it and lo and behold, we were surprised to find out that Kahn wrote the music for that one...along with Hunter.

Thanks for that learning Rich Hughes!

• Forum MVP

Kahn wrote Love In The Afternoon? How about that. Good tidbit there, David.

Jerry opened shows in '78 with it, I don't think he did it as an opener in later years though. In fact, it pretty much dropped off the map after '87. I actually only caught it once. A "bust out" I suppose - I think it was the lone appearance post '87. It was at the Warfield - perhaps Spring '94? Or '93? Drawing a blank.

Oh, and I was a Melody opener guy as well.

• Forum MVP

When did he ever open a show or even a set with Love in the Afternoon?

I think one of the better openers was Rhapsody in Red though. Just so much freakin energy for a song to start off a show. Check out 5/31/83 NYC for one that will blow your lid.

I was at Jerry Day yesterday listening to Stu play a nice Love in the Afternoon when some of us were trying to figure out who wrote it and lo and behold, we were surprised to find out that Kahn wrote the music for that one...along with Hunter.

When did he ever open a show or even a set with Love in the Afternoon?

• Forum MVP

Jerry opened shows in '78 with it, I don't think he did it as an opener in later years though.

Yes, now I recall a '78 show I have where he opens a second set with it...NY or Long Island I think

So cool that he opened shows with that one...I don't have any. Never knew it happend.

That IS a great show opener. Thanks Amm Crew.

Tonight when I get home, I'm going to try to track some down.

Archived