Nfl Knockout Pool

bs69

• Forum MVP

I would also like to say something about the Bears...

I've been a huge critic of Lovie Smith for a long time.

It's been really hard to watch him seemingly single handedly take a SB team and ruin it but it's been even more difficult watching his style of defense on third downs, especially for someone like me who grew up watching Buddy Ryan mold the greatest defense in the NFL history.

His entire cover two scheme completely relies on the front four getting pressure on the QB. Buddy Ryan and both of his sons basically believe in doing whatever you have to do in order to get pressure on the QB on those big third downs. If the front 4 are doing that then fine...if you have to send 5 then so be it..if it takes sending 6 then that's what they will do and so on. Lovie doesn't think this way and that is the reason I think we've been unable to win the big ones, because he's been unwilling to send extra people on those big third downs and any good QB that has enough time on 3rd down will be able to find someone open in a zone coverage and Lovie only plays that zone on 3rd downs. It's been that simple for Chicago in my mind.

BUT...this year we have a what seems like new defensive line with Henry Melton who played like a light switch went on and a free agent Okoye who along with Julious Peppers showed the rest of the NFL that they could be a formidable unit. I know NOTHING about those two but they and that line looked REALLY good for the first time in years for the Bears.

And if that proves to be the case for the next months, then Lovie will finally have a unit that can win that big one against a great QB and we could actually do something (I know it's only week one...but what happened with that line last week for Chi was big news for folks like myself).

Most people think it's all about our offensive line and Cutler and while our offensive line is hugely important for our offense and they also played pretty damn good, what's just as important is our defensive line, at least in my opinion.

This is the first time, even including our SB year with Smith, that I've thought we could win something big.

(Like I said it's only week one but it's still pretty nice to believe that.)

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I would also like to say something about the Bears...

I've been a huge critic of Lovie Smith for a long time.

It's been really hard to watch him seemingly single handedly take a SB team and ruin it but it's been even more difficult watching his style of defense on third downs, especially for someone like me who grew up watching Buddy Ryan mold the greatest defense in the NFL history.

His entire cover two scheme completely relies on the front four getting pressure on the QB. Buddy Ryan and both of his sons basically believe in doing whatever you have to do in order to get pressure on the QB on those big third downs. If the front 4 are doing that then fine...if you have to send 5 then so be it..if it takes sending 6 then that's what they will do and so on. Lovie doesn't think this way and that is the reason I think we've been unable to win the big ones, because he's been unwilling to send extra people on those big third downs and any good QB that has enough time on 3rd down will be able to find someone open in a zone coverage and Lovie only plays that zone on 3rd downs. It's been that simple for Chicago in my mind.

BUT...this year we have a new defensive line and there are people like Henry Melton and a guy whose name is Okoye who, last week, along with Julious Peppers showed the rest of the NFL that they could be a formidable unit. I know NOTHING about those two but they and that line looked REALLY good for the first time in years for the Bears.

And if that proves to be the case for the next months, then Lovie will finally have a unit that can win that big one against a great QB and we could actually do something (I know it's only week one...but what happened with that line last week for Chi was big news for folks like myself).

Most people think it's all about our offensive line and Cutler and while our offensive line is hugely important for our offense and they also played pretty damn good, what's just as important is our defensive line, at least in my opinion.

This is the first time, even including our SB year with Smith, that I've thought we could win something big.

(Like I said it's only week one but it's still pretty nice to believe that.)

Dave, what is your take on Cutler?

Being a Vanderbilt grad, I've enjoyed following his career. He's certainly had his ups and downs. I think the jury is still out for me as to whether or not I think he is a great QB.

reid.

• Forum MVP

Dave, what is your take on Cutler?

Being a Vanderbilt grad, I've enjoyed following his career. He's certainly had his ups and downs. I think the jury is still out for me as to whether or not I think he is a great QB.

reid.

Cutler obviously has all the talent in the world but he doesn't seem to have the mental skills a great QB needs to have. The vision and the decision making that makes a QB great. What I saw last year, he just seems to make the wrong decisions way too often.

I have no idea about his work ethic or anything like that...he's super private and has gotten himself in a good deal of trouble with the media and the fans because he seems to be the rare player who TRULY doesn't seem to give a crap how he is perceived. Unfortunately, in today's game that can be a problem for an athlete...which is kind of a bummer.

In terms of his future? There have been athletes like Curt Schilling who always had the talent but lacked something mentally and then...bam! They all of a sudden just seem to wake up and get it....in terms of the mental stuff and preparation and all the rest. Cutler has the talent as anyone can see, but it's hard for me to believe he's ever going to be a great QB judging from what I've seen and that's only a single year of being the QB for the Bears. I didn't follow him in Denver or in college. And the reason I have a hard time believing is that the vast majority of the time, super talented players that don't get it, like Allen Iverson as just one example, end up never getting it.

But I can tell you that I hope I'm wrong. I'm the last person who is an expert on this guy only having seen him every week for just one year.

• Forum MVP

Week #1: JETS WINNER

Week #2: BALTIMORE ?

As long as BAL stays humble after they curb-stomped PIT, BAL should handle the Titans. Vegas agrees - the current line is 5.5 for any gambling degenerates out there.

• Forum MVP

Week #1: JETS WINNER

Week #2: BALTIMORE ?

Although the Ravens looked very good last week, I try and stay away from road teams early in Survivor pools. Especially when you have Pittsburgh available at home laying 14 1/2 coming off that ass-whoopin. Good luck Rob.....hopefully CJ doesn't go off. One more week in your 40's!! Enjoy your time at at home with your family, before the road beckons. Peace.

• Forum MVP

Looks like everyone except Rob E. moves on. here is week 3:

Patriots@Bills

Jaguars@Panthers

49ers@Bengals

Dolphins@Browns

Lions@Vikings

Texans@Saints

Giants@Eagles

Broncos@Titans

Jets@Raiders

Chiefs@Chargers

Ravens@Rams

Packers@Bears

Cardinals@Seahawks

Falcons@Buccaneers

Steelers@Colts

Redskins@Cowboys

Looks like a tough week. I expect the Chargers to be popular.

• Forum MVP

WEEK # 3 - Chargers....

Can we get the people that have survived both week #1 and #2 and are moving forward...

1. Teacher Matt

Those still alive in week 3 are:

1.Tea for Texas

2.CM Hayden

3. Teacher Matt

4.August West

5. DStone5553

6. Acududeman

• Forum MVP

stick to burning Dead shows..... :unsure:

I was watching that Philly game and I actually think Vick was going to win it for Phillly in that 4th quarter, but them's the breaks. Philly and Vick are always iffy just becasue of Vick's style and how often he will get injured.

I should have stuck with my Carolina pick, despite Newton being a rookie.

But you're still the Costanza of all sports predictions Teacher Matt.

Don't forget that.

:)

• Forum MVP

Apparently I like to pick close games......geez. A W is W no matter how you slice it. Piitsburgh is going to have a tough go if they can't protect their QB. Hopefully, I will find a less angina-inducing pick for next Sunday's tilts. Here they are:

Sun, Oct 2

DET @ DAL

PIT @ HOU

SF @ PHI

MIN @ KC

WAS @ STL

BUF @ CIN

TEN @ CLE

NO @ JAC

CAR @ CHI

ATL @ SEA

NYG @ ARI