" Electric Dixieland "

Dr. Vapor

• Forum VIP

So, I am reading thru my new book in my Europe '72 suitcase and I came across a very interesting quote from David Crosby on how he describes Grateful Dead music and I thought it was spot on. Over the years people have asked me , " well what kinda music, do they play ?" and I always struggled with an answer, was it Blues, well sometimes, Jazz, well somtimes, Rock, that too....but I feel David nailed it...So I am offically a fan of Electric Dixieland Music and have been for 30 years, not even knowing it. ....Dr. V.

Guest Sweet Jane

hmmmmm. I think it could definitely be used to describe some of the GD music, however I have a hard time describing songs like morning dew, other one, terrapin, etc with the term electric dixieland. I think the term psychedelic dixieland works even better. IMO its just about impossible to describe the music to someone who doesn't know it. I think someone on here one time said he just says "its spiritual." works for me.

I've also been asked how we dance to GD music. Try answering that one. and you may as well forget even using the word spin.

So, I am reading thru my new book in my Europe '72 suitcase and I came across a very interesting quote from David Crosby on how he describes Grateful Dead music and I thought it was spot on. Over the years people have asked me , " well what kinda music, do they play ?" and I always struggled with an answer, was it Blues, well sometimes, Jazz, well somtimes, Rock, that too....but I feel David nailed it...So I am offically a fan of Electric Dixieland Music and have been for 30 years, not even knowing it. ....Dr. V.

do the Jerry bop to rockin roll rythem and blues

• Forum MVP

hmmmmm. I think it could definitely be used to describe some of the GD music, however I have a hard time describing songs like morning dew, other one, terrapin, etc with the term electric dixieland. I think the term psychedelic dixieland works even better. IMO its just about impossible to describe the music to someone who doesn't know it. I think someone on here one time said he just says "its spiritual." works for me.

I've also been asked how we dance to GD music. Try answering that one. and you may as well forget even using the word spin.

Genre: "American Rock, Folk, and Blues"

Dancin: "Doesn't matter what you wear....just as long as you are there"

Archived