Yost

comesatime

• Forum MVP

Quite an amazing show tonight , I can't even begin to remember the set list , we'll have to get it off the DSO site when it's posted ( a recording would be pretty choice ) , but it was an OFF THE HOOK elective ... thought it was an early show at first , 68-69 , but the second drum solo with Koritz on the drum machine gave it away , for me anyway ... really good crowd and very into the show ... very nice old theater also ... good fun and dancin was the order of the night ...

Sad news was announced tonight , Lisa had to leave tour due to the passing of her mom ... DSO dedicated tonights show to Lisa ...

(((((((( Lisa and Family )))))))

• Forum MVP

One: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider ; Good Morning Little Schoolgirl ; Doin' That Rag ; Hard To Handle ; Dancing In The Street ; He Was A Friend of Mine (Just A Hand To Hold) ; Good Lovin' > drums > jam > Good Lovin'

Two: New Speedway Boogie ; Silver Threads And Golden Needles ; Deep Elem Blues ; Cryptical Envelopment > drums > space > The Other One > Spanish Jam > Attics Of My Life > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > Viola Lee Blues

Encore: King Solomon's Marbles > The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)

An original setlist that sure looks like it might have come from 1969-1970... what a thrill it would have been to experience this firsthand, and maybe secondhand.... I wonder if there were any tapers in the house?

Indeed sad news about Lisa's Mom passing. You know we love you dearly, Lisa, and hope you are with loved ones as well as others who you can lean on during this time. May you find warmth and security in knowing that your life is not only precious to those you are closest to, but also this community who regards you as a tremendous asset to team DSO.

Topher

One: China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider ; Good Morning Little Schoolgirl ; Doin' That Rag ; Hard To Handle ; Dancing In The Street ; He Was A Friend of Mine (Just A Hand To Hold) ; Good Lovin' > drums > jam > Good Lovin'

Two: New Speedway Boogie ; Silver Threads And Golden Needles ; Deep Elem Blues ; Cryptical Envelopment > drums > space > The Other One > Spanish Jam > Attics Of My Life > The Other One > Cryptical Envelopment > Viola Lee Blues

Encore: King Solomon's Marbles > The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion)

hell yeah !!!!!! {btw, was the marquee ever translated back to english? LOL}

much luv to Lisa & her family !!!

• Forum MVP

Just read this really nice review of the Yost show on philzone.org. If you would like to see the entire thread, the link is

DSO @ HSB Hopes

Here is the review:

By Painted Mandolin (Treblemaker) on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 01:48 pm: Edit Post

A good pal of mine sent me his review of last night's show:

Last week, with some obligation, I wrote of the El Rey DSO show and had mediocrity on my mind. Specifically, I opined that "reviewing" a show that features a tribute band was somewhat limiting. As such, I concluded that instrumentally this group was fantastic, lacked in vocals, and most profoundly I surmised that the mold was to jam every tune as though it concluded a landmark set. That was Friday.

Last night, I joined my SoCal jambanders and hit the show at the Yost Theater in Santa Ana. Turns out the theater was closed for 3 years for renovations, re-opened last month, and next year will mark the theater's 100 year anniversary. Our buddy Dave has an "in" with one of management, and we had a complete tour of the place, backstage as well, during the show. Really a very cool venue with high ceilings and great sound. Given the date and venue, attendance was, um....down, which I find a great variable when attending these events. It always seem that strange things happen to the extreme.

I chatted with Kevin again while he was enjoying what appears to be his ritual preshow butt. With great nonchalance I had the audacity to nudge him on the night's setlist at which point he politely mentioned the weather. When the band came out Eaton announced that sometime band member Lisa Mackey had a death in the family and had to return East, but that the band was prepared to rip the face off some good ole Dead. Indeed.

China Cat Rider opened the show which indicated that this was gonna be one very old show or be an original setlist. What followed was what is probably best described as "vintage" Dead, and in my opinion, right in Mattson's wheelhouse. Opinions differ, and individual entry into the world of Dead will dictate appreciation of this era, but for me this is grassroots stuff that is reverential. Further, it is the era of Jerry I never saw but most love. Honestly its where these guys came from, regardless of my favorite years '77- 82. No, this wasnt Built to Last or going back, Heaven, or my favorites Terrapin and Blues....it was unrecorded, raw bootleg Dead that is 101 for us all. And what makes Jeff, and really the group, so over the top, is the ability to resurrect that vibe like last night.

Something new also for me last night. Beyond the small crowd (150?), great new/old venue, and amazing sound and lights, was the original set. I cant stress enough how that enhanced the night. The reason why is that in my previous critique each song was unto itself, a blueprint of individual songs off a sheet of paper. Not so on the original set, especially THIS set. The forethought, song melding, and gestalt was original and huge. That component, so lacking in my previous experiences made this legendary.

Eaton was never better on rhythm and noticeably contributory on every tune. Barraco, who I came to respect from the 4/99 Phil shows, really was very good especially in the first set. Though not as raw as Pig he was more than adequate in conjunction with the entire band and had tremendous interaction with Mattson on Lovin. Kevin was the absolute bomb the second set an the insane Other One, and I would strongly suggest the Spanish jam be given some ear time. We all talk about those songs or shows that put us out of our mind. This is it.

The vintage setlist, Jeff's wheelhouse, and the continuity of originality made this a special show, and the best DSO I've ever seen. I say more original setlists. One note: I had an ice water to go when I left the venue with Brown, and this morning on my way to work at 0445 sucked the remaining ice down. Sacrifices of live music.

It was a privilege to attend this show. It is hard to find words to describe how good the show was: statements just seem vain at last. It was pure, unadulterated, vintage Grateful Dead performed almost flawlessly -- quite a feat considering the number of songs that rarely make the setlists. Condolences and best wishes to Lisa and her family.

Archived