Gratefulfest 13?!

jljbirdq

OK, I had never been to a Gratefulfest before or Nelson Ledges Quarry Park and all I can say about Gratefulfest #12 is WOW! I loved every minute of it even the sandstorm and wind storm. So much good music led by DSO!

Plus Railroad Earth, Rusted Root, New Riders of the Purple Sage, Cornmeal, Keller Williams, JGB with Melvin Seals, Donna Jean Band, Spikedrivers, and our unofficial master of everything, David Gans.....and so much more!

So many great people who just wanted to have a good time. Love the camping and quarry too. Even talked myself into jumping off the ledges! Had to do it.

Sooooooooooooooooo, I have to be the first to ask, when can I book Gratefulfest #13?!

I also have to be the first to throw out some suggestions, Evan, get on the wagon and get us Ratdog, or Mickey Hart Band, or the Rhythm Devils, or 7 Walkers or.....before we lose them again. Also, how about Little Feat? Maybe twist it up and get the David Nelson Band. Maybe some blues Joanne Shaw Taylor (Michigan based). Maybe Glen Phillips of Toad The Wet Sprocket. I'd be up again with Cornmeal or Railroad Earth for a later show. Maybe some G Love? Maybe Ollabelle? How about some Pimps of Joytime or Orgone? How about some Jefferson Starship or Cold Blood?

Just some thoughts to get the ball rolling.

PS, I learned a lot this year. First, no need to worry about staging as you can see everybody! Second, no place like NLQP. Third, the good people or Gratefulfest and Evan can put on a great show!

Thank you DSO!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So many great people who just wanted to have a good time. Love the camping and quarry too. Even talked myself into jumping off the ledges! Had to do it.

The Quarry is the BEST place for camping! Also one of the BESSSST places i've seen DSO (54 shows and counting), however if the same feelings still stand between all the parties involved, im sad to say I doubt we will see another Gratefulfest at the ledges.... However people and points of view change, so I PRAY it all gets worked out! Gratefulfest would not be the same if it wasn't at NLQP.

That being said, no matter where it is I will be there! I love this band and all they do for us! :dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

they said no Gratefulfest in 2009... there was one..

again they shouting from the mountain tops in 2010 .... again the band played on...

"No Way in 2011" was the rally call .... those voices were silent when DSO hit the stage...

So as we look at the summer of 2012 .... well until the day that tour bus does not pull into the Ledges is the day I will finally believe the spirit of Gratfulfest is no longer....

• Forum MVP

they said no Gratefulfest in 2009... there was one..

again they shouting from the mountain tops in 2010 .... again the band played on...

"No Way in 2011" was the rally call .... those voices were silent when DSO hit the stage...

So as we look at the summer of 2012 .... well until the day that tour bus does not pull into the Ledges is the day I will finally believe the spirit of Gratfulfest is no longer....

I must stand with you here brother. Until the summer passes and there is no Gratefulfest. I will continue to believe that DSO and the ledges will reunite again this summer, along with my smiling face.

• Forum MVP

Summer would be less satisfying without NLQP/DSO. It's a special place. GOTTA believe it'll carry on. Just can't imagine the positives not far outweighing the negatives. My belief is that as long as Evan owns the park, Gratefulfest is on!........ one way,... or another..

I don't know man, I just don't know.

Do I want it to be at the Ledges again? Totally, yeah. I love that place. But it was so uptight this past year - and rightfully so, when you consider Evan's predicaments - that I at one point said, "Wow, they really mean it this time."

You always hear the conjecture about "this is the last Gratefulfest at the Ledges," but by God I think I really believed it this time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know man, I just don't know.

Do I want it to be at the Ledges again? Totally, yeah. I love that place. But it was so uptight this past year - and rightfully so, when you consider Evan's predicaments - that I at one point said, "Wow, they really mean it this time."

You always hear the conjecture about "this is the last Gratefulfest at the Ledges," but by God I think I really believed it this time.

I've thought about going to the Ledges, though I've never made it (quite a drive). What are the predicaments you mention?

goodness ..... it would take quite a many of word to answer that question.... you think "War and Peace" is lengthy....

No sense in airing dirty laundry and possibly opening old wounds though. Private messages would be more tactful. I've been going to Gratefulfest since 2005, and hope to keep going for years to come. :D :D

• Advisory Board

NLQP May indeed have a Gratefulfest 13, but I'm gonna have to give you my opinion, and say that I highly doubt DSO will be in that line-up... I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but from what I've seen, heard, and the vibes I felt, I doubt DSO will be in attendance next 4th of July...

again... just my opinoin, and I do hope I'm wrong!

• Forum MVP

Mighty High Mountain Fest... May 18 May 19 May 20th. Eli & Company (Create A Vibe) have expanded the festy to 3 days this year. It's in Tuxedo Ridge N.Y. and is very well run, with good vibes in abundance, in a beautiful mountain setting. Now I know there's no quarry, and the campground isn't as nice, but I'd put my money on DSO being there for 3 nights instead of the usual at NLQP. Just my opinion. There's just too much bullshit going on over there. I know alot of you love the Ledges but from what I've heard, the landscape has changed over there, and not for the better. I heard alot of very negative stuff from folks who were there last year, some of them active members of this community. There might have been an announcement for a Gratfulfest 13, but imho I don't think DSO will be there. I hope I'm wrong for those of you with your hearts set on it, but I doubt it. One way or another I'm sure you'll find out soon enough. Peace.

• Forum MVP

they have already moved "All Good" to Ohio ... next summer it will be at Buckeye Lake (well that is what it was called back in the late 80s and early 90s when the Dead played it ... those were fun fun shows... I made a killing selling Mountain Dew and Lipton Brisk Ice Tea out of a can .... $1 a can when a case only cost $3 .... I could not keep it cold enough....

Would love love love Dark Star Orchestra to headline THEIR OWN FESTIVAL AT THAT LOCATION ...

didn't know there was tension between dso and the ledges, thought all the uncertainity lied in the ledges' status with local government/authorities.

if the conflict lies in $$ concerns, the solution is simple. raise the price of the festival ticket. compared to other festivals, gratefulfest is super cheap. $110 for 4 days of festival? raise that to $150-200, more $$ for everyone, easy peasy.

• Forum VIP

It's Offical Gratefulfest will be replaced by Herdstock in 2012...the festival will be in a small field outside of Baltimore....please send $50 to get a wristband to hold your palce in line to later reserve your tickets....more info to come....only band confirmed are the Jackalopes out of Delaware...great band love those guys...I am sure DSO would not miss such a chance to play this amazing festival....again more info coming stay in touch....Herdy will post address to send cash only ...no checks sorry...I am soooo pumped .....Dr. V.

they have already moved "All Good" to Ohio ... next summer it will be at Buckeye Lake (well that is what it was called back in the late 80s and early 90s when the Dead played it ... those were fun fun shows... I made a killing selling Mountain Dew and Lipton Brisk Ice Tea out of a can .... $1 a can when a case only cost $3 .... I could not keep it cold enough....

Would love love love Dark Star Orchestra to headline THEIR OWN FESTIVAL AT THAT LOCATION ...

All good things in all good time ~

Archived