Gratefulfest 13?!

jljbirdq

Dear Evan,

Wasup? Can you allow someone else to run Gratefulfest? I know you had some challenges last year but maybe a fresh set of eyes can carry on on your behalf. NLQP is fantastic and the camping is great. The back to back music is a major plus and the bands were great. Do the local politicians have it out for Gratefulfest or you? Were the bands hosted well? Were they paid well? Was there enough advertising? Did you lose some bands (i.e. 7 Walkers) for reasons that should have been in your control? Did you wait to long to pull everything together? Did you alienate DSO to the point of no rescue? You don't have to answer my questions but just do some soul searching. NLQP's site says THEY are looking forward to another Gratefulfest. Is that the park or the park and you?

J

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dear Evan,

Wasup? Can you allow someone else to run Gratefulfest? I know you had some challenges last year but maybe a fresh set of eyes can carry on on your behalf. NLQP is fantastic and the camping is great. The back to back music is a major plus and the bands were great. Do the local politicians have it out for Gratefulfest or you? Were the bands hosted well? Were they paid well? Was there enough advertising? Did you lose some bands (i.e. 7 Walkers) for reasons that should have been in your control? Did you wait to long to pull everything together? Did you alienate DSO to the point of no rescue? You don't have to answer my questions but just do some soul searching. NLQP's site says THEY are looking forward to another Gratefulfest. Is that the park or the park and you?

J

It looks like Gratefulfest is still a go, just no DSO.

Evan has contributed hugely to the Grateful community and deserves our thanks and gratitude. Things change. Unless we know the ins and outs of running a festival of this caliber and can do it better than he has, we have no right to condemn him nor to accuse him of soul malfunction. He took a sick piece of land, resuscitated it, and brought music to our community. If DSO no longer fits there, so be it. They're getting too big for it anyways :-).

Thank you Evan for all your hard work and dedication. I apologize for the times that I have been indiscrete on your property and may have added to your troubles. Please forgive us all. See you down the road.

• Forum MVP

Evan has contributed hugely to the Grateful community and deserves our thanks and gratitude. Things change. Unless we know the ins and outs of running a festival of this caliber and can do it better than he has, we have no right to condemn him nor to accuse him of soul malfunction. He took a sick piece of land, resuscitated it, and brought music to our community. If DSO no longer fits there, so be it. They're getting too big for it anyways :-).

Thank you Evan for all your hard work and dedication. I apologize for the times that I have been indiscrete on your property and may have added to your troubles. Please forgive us all. See you down the road.

Amen. Mea culpa and all apologies also. Thank you for the memories.

Amen. Mea culpa and all apologies also. Thank you for the memories.

ahh this thread... makes me feel like doing laundry :ph34r:

it is what it is ~ maybe there will still be a Gratefulfest at Nelson Ledges Quarry Park... and maybe DSO will put on an amazing festival of their own ~ maybe we'll be happy with both festivals ~

here's to a New Year and the wonderful things it may bring ~ hoping for many blessings to you all ~ much love

:dsorocks:

I guess it came off a bit like Evan bashing but that wasn't my intention. Rather I intended to have Evan review what went right and apparently what didn't and seek input and help from others to reduce the things that didn't go right. Evan HAS done a lot for the Dead community and I am sure can do more. Without going into details of what were discussed as issues last year (true or not they were posted) I'd like to see a better Gratefulfest return this year to NLQP, Even if DSO won't be there, the park is great and has and can make for some great shows.

As with all festivals things go wrong. Hopefully the promoters learn and avoid the same mistakes in the future. I went to a few Bonnaroos, both Rothbury's, Hoxeyville.....each time there were issues. Lack of shade, ice, water, sound bleed, parking, food prices, no show artists, aggressive security, rain, heat, deaths, long walks, stage confussion, tight camping, long walks, ........ Some got addressed while others didn;t. People waited nearly 10 hours to get into Bonnaroo.....that's nuts! You had to walk forever with ice to your campsite at Rothbury and Bonnaroo and wound up with a bag of cold water. Never been to Allgood but from the stories I've heard I understand why it got nicknamed Allbad.

Maybe it is time for Gratefulfest to move out of NLQP. Maybe DSO has run its course there. Maybe a new version of Gratefulfest will be even better than those in the past. Maybe DSO will host a new DSOfest. I can tell you I want to go to a Gratefulfest. I can tell you I want to go to a festival at NLQP. I can tell you I would go to a DSOfest.

Maybe Gratefulfest needs more than just Evan masterminding it. That isn't a knock on Evan.

• Forum MVP

Winter gray and falling rain

We'll see summer come again

Darkness fall and seasons change

(Gonna happen every time)

Same old friends the wind and rain

(We'll see summer by and by)

Winter gray and falling rain

(Summers fade and roses die)

We'll see summer come again

(Like a song that's born to soar the sky)

It was a good run. Thank you

• Forum MVP

All the years combine

they melt into a dream

A broken angel sings

from a guitar

In the end there's just a song

comes crying like the wind

through all the broken dreams

and vanished years......Stella Blue

• Forum MVP

Thanks to DSO for helping to create so many Gratefulfests over the years! It's a wonder they were able to pull it off for so long. I guess my festival will be Terrapin Hills in September. It's got the small quality of NLRQ and benefits an organic farm. I will never do a Bonneroo size fest again, that's just plain abuse. There's plenty of great festy sites out west that I'm sure DSO can entertain as a replacement.

• Forum MVP

Tell me more please! About a 7 hour drive for me but 2011 looked sweet

HARVEST FESTIVAL 2011

Railroad Earth

7 Walkers

Cornmeal

Greensky Bluegrass

David Gans

Rumpke Mountain Boys

Man, it's a beautiful mountain space that is very kind to those who camp there for the 3 day festival. Usually held in September so it's like all the colors of a fall sky above you. Real nice shakedown street and a bonfire to boot. More to be revealed as the months filter by.

The GratefulFest 2011 was awesome indeed. Fireworks were glowing, people were kind and DSO rocked as usual. ALl the bands were totally awesome and it was nice to hear nothing but Dead or dead-related music (JGB Band). However, I don't think the folks running it and the police were too kind to the heads this year. I also think it wasn't appreciated that they made some remarks right before DSO took stage. The folks I went with had a grate time but we also had some misfortune. Anyway, I was told a story there, perhaps it is true or perhaps not, but I share with y'all. A few years ago, a non-dead related festival was visited by a 13 year old girl who subsequently lost her life due to a drug overdose. The girl happened to be the Police Chief's daughter. So because of this, all music festivals were heavily policed. Hippies and deadheads were the obvious scapegoats on whom to punish. However, with respect to the poor girl who lost her life I do have a few questions. Like, where was the police chief during that weekend and why is it that he did not know the whereabout of his daughter? Is that our fault? And for anyone having a 13 year old girl experimenting in these drugs must at some point look in the mirror and look for fault. Hey we all do things which are not looked upon favorably but as reckless as we are, we usually do it with responsibility. In fact, besides the poor fellow who threw himself out of a window at a Furthur show and the poor guy who was killed by the nitrous mafia...a person has more of a chance dying at regular life than at a dead show...when you compare the number of people who went to deadshowst hsi year (any...including the local shows) and any normal population in any city town or nation. 2 deaths in several years is even safer than flying in an airplane.

It saddens me to hear that DSO will not be playing NLQP this year. It seemed like a perfect venue when you neglect all of the stupid controversies. Sand under your feet, a great shakedown street, good people, a cool place to swim while listening to the music, and nice woods. Multiple nights of DSO just completes it. I sincerely hope that DSO tries their own festival in the area. I just don't know of anywhere that can compete with the quarry.

• Forum MVP

Evan is cracked out. I'd sooner hope for new ownership than for DSO to return there. I love the ledges but if they aren't treating the band right, and they deserve to be treated well, then they shouldn't go back. Here's to mighty high! (sigh, shittty venue...)

Evan is cracked out. I'd sooner hope for new ownership than for DSO to return there. I love the ledges but if they aren't treating the band right, and they deserve to be treated well, then they shouldn't go back. Here's to mighty high! (sigh, shittty venue...)

... There are obviously more attractive and comfortable settings than the part-time ski slope that has housed the "Mighty High" for the last two years, but Eli and company really try hard to make the scene a pleasant one, and I for one will be back there this year, assuming it is still in the cards. I just hope they are able to secure dates in the Summer, as opposed to late May, which can still bring chilly temps to the Hudson Highlands of New York. Never made it to the Ledges, but it sounds like it was a very cool place, if only the staff and cops would make it enjoyable for all, which, judging from the feedback here regarding last year, was not exactly the case.

Never made it to the Ledges, but it sounds like it was a very cool place, if only the staff and cops would make it enjoyable for all, which, judging from the feedback here regarding last year, was not exactly the case.

As far as the fan experience, I wouldn't say that the cops or staff ever hassled me. In fact, I never even noticed police when I was there, although there are definitely people that have had bad experiences with them. And ultimately, I understand that the staff was doing what it had to do to protect the venue; I don't think it was overbearing for the sake of being overbearing, but rather for the sake of self-preservation. The Ledges always seems to be dancing on the razor's edge of trouble with the law, and 2011 just seemed like the year where they could afford NO slip-ups.

The Ledges is one of my favorite spots around. I'll probably try to make an extra effort to hit a festival there this summer just so I can hang out, but it won't be the same without all the good folks there.

As for an alternate venue...I hope it sticks around the Midwest. You East Coasters get enough damn shows already!

Archived