Gratefulfest 13?!

jljbirdq

• Forum MVP

I just hope they are able to secure dates in the Summer, as opposed to late May, which can still bring chilly temps to the Hudson Highlands of New York.

Mighty High has been announced Topher, and I'm sorry to inform you that it is in fact on May 18, 19, and 20th. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Mighty High has been announced Topher, and I'm sorry to inform you that it is in fact on May 18, 19, and 20th. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Dang .. just not a good weekend for me .... will not take off of school for that .... got to educate them kids !!!

I am hoping a festival falls of Memorial Day weekend of May 25-28 ..... and with my birthday on May 24th it would be fun...

• Forum MVP

The "Werk Out" Festival is Sept 20-23 at Buckeye Lake...... goes by the name of Legend Valley now ... .where the Dead played some shows in the early 90s..

bigger venue then where it was at its first two years.... last year DSO played a JGB show me and Chuck Vegas were able to attend...

it is down the road from Columbus, OH ....would be nice to see DSO get 2 nights at that place....

The weather, of course, will only be a small factor in the overall experience... which is always a great time! Thanks for the heads-up on the dates. Man, late May seems like an eternity from now...

Today, NLQP's website says Gratefulfest July 6-8 with "Melvin Seals", "Rusted What" (presume Root), and "Well Worn Boot" (eh). I guess it's on. Melvin works for me and so does Rusted Root. But, that isn't enough for $100 even with the camping. They need at least 7 Walkers, who were listed in most places as appearing last year, although we know they didn't.

Electric Forest is in Michigan from June 28th thru July 1. Does this mean we could see some Electric Forest bands headed home thru Ohio? Stay tuned. Maybe no DSO this year but could we get Donna and the Tricksters with Jeff?

Today, NLQP's website says Gratefulfest July 6-8 with "Melvin Seals", "Rusted What" (presume Root), and "Well Worn Boot" (eh). I guess it's on. Melvin works for me and so does Rusted Root. But, that isn't enough for $100 even with the camping. They need at least 7 Walkers, who were listed in most places as appearing last year, although we know they didn't.

Electric Forest is in Michigan from June 28th thru July 1. Does this mean we could see some Electric Forest bands headed home thru Ohio? Stay tuned. Maybe no DSO this year but could we get Donna and the Tricksters with Jeff?

All I see on NLQP, is Melvin so far.....no Rusted Root or anything else.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been going to see DSO for 14 yrs now and 12 yrs of helping with promotions..believe me this breaks my heart to see where this is going..but having heard both sides and being part of both sides I know its time for a change...I only wish DSO the best in their new adventure and look forward to what the new management at NLQP has to offer us this coming season. We all go thru rough parts in our life unfortuneatly the Kelley's where in the public eye and it affected everyone involved with them...I just whole heartly believe in the new people taking over production and management of the park and even if DSO won't be back this year I hope that we can all work together to bring back the love light that flowed so heavily thru that place for so many years...that drew you there in the first place...its not just the owners that make that place what it is..its each and everyone of you that stood on that ground and dance and loved and hugged and made some of the best memories of your life..so come bring your kids...enjoy the beach and the music and be part of the making this place a better place rather than knocking it all the time. Gratefulfest is still on and we are gathering some awesome bands for you..still having the best fireworks display you've ever seen...and many more things I just can't say yet....and of course the Rett's Syndrome Raffle will continue!!! Thank you DSO for the many years of great music at NLQP and giving to Jessica's cause!

• Advisory Board

The place is under new management??? That's a good thing!! Maybe one day when the place get's their shit together, DSO will be back... if that's the case, then I will be back again!

I'd love to go there for other festivals, but it's just to far away for this Deadhead who lives and breathes the Grateful Dead

4th of JULY Celebration July 6-8

Full Line-up will be released SOON!

Two nights with Melvin Seals and JGB,

Rusted Root, David Gans :)

and one more evening headliner I can't say yet :)

Marnee * Tarra Layne * Kim Manning w/ Groove Sessions

Wild Magnolias From New Orleans

WaterBanD * FamilyFunktion Sitar Jams

Uncle Eddy and Robin * Davisson Brothers Band

Definately more to the line up and it will be worth your $100. The added fee was only for cars with one person in them..its going to be the same this year..as always check up on the rules and info at www.nlqp.com

• Forum MVP

I love the ledges but without DSO there you can just forget about it. I've heard horror stories of what that place is like for 'hookahville' and other festivals. Gratefufest is not Gratefufest without DSO, plain and simple.

If this is real, the NLQP site does not show this at the moment but Rusted Root was hinted at early and David Gans is a must for any Gratefulfest, I don't see $100 either.

Don't get me wrong but JGB, Root, and Gans were all there last year PLUS Cornmeal, DSO x 3, NRPS, Keller, Donna Jean Band, & Railroad Earth....plus so many great others.

The other headliner to be mentioned better be up there to make this work anywhere near $100. Maybe Mickey Hart Band? 7 Walkers? Rhythm Devils? That I would go for!!! I could also see NRPS coming back as they have a new CD in March.

Just sayin.....

David Gans is a remarkable man, a renaissance man in fact. He's a published author, musician and songwriter, radio host, social activist, and promoter/producer. Some of my favorite downloads are from shows that he has put together, usually for charitable events, that include many excellent musicians, including members of DSO. I've long thought that DSO would do well to have him in their management structure. And I wish fervently that they would let him put together their NYE shows; the Walther productions are really unworthy of a band of DSO's talents. Offering finger foods instead of a support band is just unimaginable to me.

I agree that he is a must for any Gratefulfest, and he has been at every one of them, if my memory serves me correctly. He is a very important member of our community and deserves respect for the many contributions he has made. Any gathering he is at is made better by his presence.

• Forum MVP

I agree that David Gans is a terrific guy--a talented musician, author, and songwriter, and has done a lot for our business. But I think that Walther Productions does an exemplary job with their events and in my opinion, with three sets of DSO for their NYE run, who needs a support band? Really.

Did you ever make it to one of the GD's NYE shows? Any person there would have been happy to get just the boys, but those Bill Graham extravaganzas were unmatched and worth every cent of the ticket cost and more. While Walther charges comparable prices to what the Dead charged, he does not deliver anywhere near what Bill delivered. I believe DSO and their fans deserve better and I believe David could deliver it.

I think Gans is a great author, radio host, story teller, etc and is an asset to the GD scene/business in that regard. But I'm sorry, he may be one of the last people I want to see perform. I think he's rather boring musically and I'm not into musicians getting too political on stage. I've not gone to shows because he's part

of the lineup. I think he should stick to what he does best. And that's not performing.

There's my 3 cents.

Well, you must check out The Ones That Look The Weirdest Taste The Bast! David with Railroad Earth and it is a BLAST!!!!!!!!! Down to Eugene is a classic.

David put on really nice segueing sets last year. I would have LOVED for RRE to have joined him or for David to join them. That would have been so special.

I have to add that I enjoyed David more than Keller. Yeah, I know that is sacrilegious but sorry, Keller can bore me....David didn't.

As for the mystery "other" headliner, I keep thinking about all the early ads last year showing 7 Walkers. Could this finally occur? The Mickey Hart Band has a new CD coming out as do New Riders of the Purple Sage. Would this top off the headliners? I think so. Others worthy, Little Feat? Greensky Bluegrass? Any other suggestions??????

Archived