Gratefulfest 13?!

jljbirdq

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David has also performed with some of the RRE boys calling themselves the Shockenaw Boys. They do a "King of the Road" that I absolutely love and have on several of my playlists. He did a Big River with Boris Garcia at the 2nd Bear's Picnic that had us screaming. The whole of Norfolk got to hear that blasting from my car for months :-) . He performed Terrapin with John at a late night session a couple of years ago at Gratefulfest. He sang, and as much as I love John, I was glad that David was singing. His voice has a high level of integrity and he comes to play. After they finished I turned to Doc and someone who I know posts here but I don't know his name and said "How about that? We just had two of the masters sing us Terrapin." And I still mean it. It was an extraordinary rendition and David's voice was a big part of that.

ain't that the truth ... I saw him a couple 2 many times with DSO and I think you have to be in the mood for his shtick ...

I don't like keller either...just not my cup of tea.

Shockenaw Boys! I can dream of David and .....from RRE at Gratefulfest #13!!!! Does anyone think that Jeff could show up with Donna Jean or JGB???? Or are we gonna be totally DSOless? Really, I wouldn't put it past Jeff....he was kind of the Warren Haynes of Gratefulfest #12 as he played with everybody. Oh, and did a GREATful job too!!

• Advisory Board

I agree with the Keller thing... first time I saw him I was BLOWN AWAY, but then I saw him again, and it was pretty much the same show a year later... Keller is a nice guy personally, and I can take his music in short segments, but like some others here, just not my cup of tea...

• Forum MVP

Did you ever make it to one of the GD's NYE shows? Any person there would have been happy to get just the boys, but those Bill Graham extravaganzas were unmatched and worth every cent of the ticket cost and more. While Walther charges comparable prices to what the Dead charged, he does not deliver anywhere near what Bill delivered. I believe DSO and their fans deserve better and I believe David could deliver it.

Yes, Mary, I was at GD NYE runs three years and you are right--the Bill Graham extravaganzas were fantastic! But it is a little silly to compare ticket prices 15-20 years ago to now. I will take the three-set DSO music any day over flying joints (although it would be kind of fun to see Tim come flying out over the audience!). In any case, I am glad I saw those shows then, but now I am far more interested in dancing to great music for four hours than hoopla. Each to his or her own I guess.

Sorry to be unclear. The ticket prices are not about 2011 vs 1991, it's about the Dead charging 2-3 x the normal ticket price and Walther doing the same. And the extravaganza is not about Father Time flying across the venue, it's about the Neville Brothers, Bonnie Raitt, The Allman Brothers, David Nelson, Clarence Clemens, The Tom Tom Club, the Rebirth Brass Band marching through the venue. I'm getting thrilled again just remembering some of those shows.

Yes, 4 hours of DSO is a wonderful thing. 6 hours of the Dead and their support bands are beyond wonderful. Maybe you didn't find those acts danceable, but I certainly did. And while the venues DSO plays would not support such acts, they would definitely support the jam bands on the festival circuit. Instead, we get finger foods and a small portion of champagne that is not worth the gauntlet of elbows it takes to procure.

Why on earth would you spat with your husband's fans? Out of loyalty to Walther? That's entirely misplaced. The band is a major league band that is getting treated as a glorified bar band by its management and apparently its family members. They will not be reaching their full potential until they extract themselvels from Walther's machine. Look closely at the direction All Good has taken; that is where Walther is heading. The band deserves so much more and so does its fans.

Why on earth would you spat with your husband's fans? Out of loyalty to Walther? That's entirely misplaced. The band is a major league band that is getting treated as a glorified bar band by its management and apparently its family members. They will not be reaching their full potential until they extract themselvels from Walther's machine. Look closely at the direction All Good has taken; that is where Walther is heading. The band deserves so much more and so does its fans.

why on earth do you think Ms Evangeline is "spatting" with her husbands fans? Do you really believe you speak for everyone here?

I'm pretty sure most dso fans here would agree with E.

and DSO's management? (not that its any of our business) but Lets see I remember pre-Walther days and hmmm they weren't playing places like amsterdam, jamaica, alaska, etc etc. Treated like a glorified bar band? What? From the outside looking in, I don't see much difference between DSO and other bands playing similar audiences. From what I can tell they are quite happy and having a very successful run as we speak.

leadballoon.jpg

Guest Rob Eaton

Personally we owe a lot to your manager Tim Walther. I'm proud to have him as our manager. We are better off with him in our world then we were before ( no chop on anyone here). He's also one of the best people you'd ever meet. This is from someone who actually knows him.

Hum, I may be right huh? I'll take a wild best guess, it'll be 7 Walkers or Mickey Hart Band AND Rusted Root will be there AND NRPS will also be there. Now, that will be worth $1,000,000....oops I mean $100!

In DSO's absence, a Dead member would re-legitimize Gratefulfest. I am also willing to bet that somebody from DSO, maybe Rob Barraco will show up too!

So, that's the plan Stan! Lets ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I assuming Rob will pull a red eye from somewhere to play with a friend. Just a guess, kind of like a Warren Haynes of Jeff Mattson think...play everywhere! The only other DSO/Dead connection I can see might be John Kedlecik showing up to guest or bringing his band.

Me thinks somethings up at NLQP for Gratefulfest #13! I think they have an ace up their sleeve! So pour me half a cup of rock and rye and wait until that deal come round because I'd like to be dancin in the streets while the eyes of the world are on NLQP and the music never stopped!

I assuming Rob will pull a red eye from somewhere to play with a friend. Just a guess, kind of like a Warren Haynes of Jeff Mattson think...play everywhere! The only other DSO/Dead connection I can see might be John Kedlecik showing up to guest or bringing his band.

Me thinks somethings up at NLQP for Gratefulfest #13! I think they have an ace up their sleeve! So pour me half a cup of rock and rye and wait until that deal come round because I'd like to be dancin in the streets while the eyes of the world are on NLQP and the music never stopped!

That made me laugh ~ thank you.

It's great that you think Barraco is a super hero kinda guy... playing here, playing there... playing everywhere and who knows when he'll show up. I'll make a risky statement here and say that I don't think he'd show up without DSO in tow... at least not this year. But, I appreciate your optimism and your lingo usage. B)

:dsorocks:

"it's about the Dead charging 2-3 x the normal ticket price and Walther doing the same."- What is normal price? I just paid $25 to see DSO this weekend and I think that is an amazing price! As for the Dead and other 'core 4' bands, they have been around for 40 years, so I think they can charge a little more. Not trying to be antagonistic or anything, I just get annoyed with people complaining about ticket prices. If you deem it not worth the money, don't go. Others will be glad to pay $30 for DSO or $60 for furthur. I don't exactly think any of the band members live these lavish lifestyles from their riches from touring.

• 2 months later...

OK, I have jumped on the Jubilee but am still a bit sad as I love NLQP. I may still go this year but besides Melvin and JGB, Rusted Root, and Donna Jean, I am a little disappointed. It is basically the same cost as Jubilee and Jubilee has sooooooooo much more including Donna Jean! Although sadly, no quarry.

So, DSO, do you think you can ad New Riders or Railroad Earth?????????? Maybe NRBQ? Maybe some Wayward Roots or Mike Vial from Michigan? Dragon Wagon or Detour Bluegrass? Ralston Bowles? Just asking........we have some great music up here in Michigan.

I know, Jubilee will be AMAZING!!!! I am so excited.

Peace and get yo jiggy thang ready!!!!!!!!

Archived