Special Note From Rob Eaton

Guest Rob Eaton

Guest Rob Eaton

On my 19th Birthday I moved to NYC with a one way U-Haul to an uncertain future. 2 months into my new life I hooked up with some musicians in NJ who had a band called Border Legion. Border Legion was a Northern New Jersey band that played Dead, Originals and more. I took a train out to Clifton NJ in Dec of 1980. I played some music in a garage for several hours with what was to become a 21 year run with Border Legion. I left NJ and Border Legion to move to Colorado and join Dark Star Orchestra in 2001. If it was not for all that I learned and went through with those wonderful musicians I would not ever be in this band today or where I am in Colorado. They were and remain to this day some of my oldest and dearest friends. a few hours ago I learned we lost the our guitar player, Dave Tarlowe to cancer very quickly. He was a huge influence to me and a dear friend. I will miss him and am very saddened at his loss. Since I just turned 50 it becomes even clearer to me how fleeting and fragile life is. We never stop learning and we never stop making mistakes and growing but it's those who have touched us that hurt the most when they pass. Dave, thanks for all you taught me over the 21 years we played together and know that you will always be in my heart....

Look for a memorial gig in the coming months to celebrate his life and help his family...

Fair thee well my good friend.....

Rob Eaton

Border Legion, Dark Star Orchestra

• Forum MVP

Being from Jersey, and the same age as you, I had the oppurtunity to see Border Legion quite a few times back in the day. I am sorry for the loss of your old friend Rob. I send you thoughts of Peace and Courage. It would be nice if you and Skip could get something together. You can count on me being there.

REST IN PEACE DAVE.

• Forum MVP

Rob, with the amount of time you spend on the road and the plethora of people that are in and out of your life, spending time with a friend like Dave mustuv felt like home. I'm very sorry for your loss brother. That a void that can't be filled. In fact (not sure of your beliefs but...) it has been suggested that God places pain in your heart to maintain the bond you had with that person. Stay strong. You and Dave's family and his other friends are in my thoughts. Peace.

Rob, it is always a sobering reminder of our fragility and mortality when we lose a close friend, and my heart goes out to you. I never had the privilege of seeing Border Legion, but I am sure the band helped you become the amazing musician you are today, and we all have your previous bandmates to thank for that. DSO is also, of course, continuing in that vein, as evidenced by the positive changes I have witnessed in the band's sound and vibe over the last two years, and I wish you and all of DSO great times ahead.

Topher

On my 19th Birthday I moved to NYC with a one way U-Haul to an uncertain future. 2 months into my new life I hooked up with some musicians in NJ who had a band called Border Legion. Border Legion was a Northern New Jersey band that played Dead, Originals and more. I took a train out to Clifton NJ in Dec of 1980. I played some music in a garage for several hours with what was to become a 21 year run with Border Legion. I left NJ and Border Legion to move to Colorado and join Dark Star Orchestra in 2001. If it was not for all that I learned and went through with those wonderful musicians I would not ever be in this band today or where I am in Colorado. They were and remain to this day some of my oldest and dearest friends. a few hours ago I learned we lost the our guitar player, Dave Tarlowe to cancer very quickly. He was a huge influence to me and a dear friend. I will miss him and am very saddened at his loss. Since I just turned 50 it becomes even clearer to me how fleeting and fragile life is. We never stop learning and we never stop making mistakes and growing but it's those who have touched us that hurt the most when they pass. Dave, thanks for all you taught me over the 21 years we played together and know that you will always be in my heart....

Look for a memorial gig in the coming months to celebrate his life and help his family...

Rob Eaton

"Since I just turned 50 it becomes even clearer to me how fleeting and fragile life is. We never stop learning and we never stop making mistakes and growing but it's those who have touched us that hurt the most when they pass"

truth.

• Advisory Board

So sorry Rob.

Thank you for letting us know about Dave and his untimely passing.

Without ever knowing Dave I am thankful that he was a good friend of yours and probably had an impact through you to all of us in ways that he could never even imagine.

Stay strong,

Dr. Barry

Thanks so much for sharing this with us Rob. My heart is heavy for the loss you and all of Dave's family and friends have suffered. I hope Skip and Jim are holding up alright. Your words of friendship and gratitude give heartfelt tribute to Dave's life with a wisdom in which we can all find solace. Losing such a friend is pain we only know because our lives have been so blessed to have such friends. Godspeed Dave.

Quote-

We never stop learning and we never stop making mistakes and growing but it's those who have touched us that hurt the most when they pass. Dave, thanks for all you taught me over the 21 years we played together and know that you will always be in my heart....

Rob Eaton

Rob- Sorry to hear about the loss of you dear friend !

Dave's family & friends are in my thought & prayers this evening.

Your remarks about loosing those who have touched our hearts are so true....The loss of family members & dear friends seems to hurt so bad because I couldn't change it!

It was proof that the only thing I have any control over is myself (attitude,actions,perspective,etc...)!

Peace,

Rob

Sorry for your loss. It must have sucked finding out after the fact. Being a dear friend I would have wanted to know everything.

Rob Eaton

Guest Sweet Jane

Sorry for your loss. It must have sucked finding out after the fact. Being a dear friend I would have wanted to know everything.

nice words to say to someone who just lost a friend.

dude, why don't you just go the fuck away?

Archived