New Jersey Dead Heads

jbjb2

Guest crazy digits

My wife and I live in new jersey and were wondering where all the dead heads hang out most of our friends our down in phily and wew are trying to meet local heads

ask herdy

• Forum MVP

they tend to hang out at the gas stations... you know the "whole I don't pump my own gas" thing going on ...tends to give them lots of free time to talk about the "last show I went to dude" .... "man what a killer Scarlet>Fire .. sick" ... :P

or checking in with their parole officer... depends on the day ...

While I agree it's great fun to poke fun @ New Jersey...

It probably would be nice if a new member got an answer to a pretty straight forward question.

This deadhead lives in south jersey, can be found hanging out at he shore (swimming/fishing/etc.) & usually playing GOGD music too loud.

Just wondering if you'll be @ the New Year shows in Monclair (sweet venue)?

See Ya on the Road,

Rob

Monclair (sweet venue)?

whoa! there are a lot of words I'd use to describe that place and sweet is not one of them!

It has gotten better over the years- at least they have a re-entry policy now so the whole place doesn't end up wreaking like cigarette smoke because they won't let people out. but its a hell-pit of talkers and drunks.

(disclaimer- this is coming from a picky bitch, so do check it out for yourself)

• Advisory Board

they tend to hang out at the gas stations... you know the "whole I don't pump my own gas" thing going on ...tends to give them lots of free time to talk about the "last show I went to dude" .... "man what a killer Scarlet>Fire .. sick" ... :P

or checking in with their parole officer... depends on the day ...

Bahahahhaaaaaa!!!

whoa! there are a lot of words I'd use to describe that place and sweet is not one of them!

It has gotten better over the years- at least they have a re-entry policy now so the whole place doesn't end up wreaking like cigarette smoke because they won't let people out. but its a hell-pit of talkers and drunks.

The Wellmont is a horrible sounding venue! Something about that place, while it looks great inside, the sound just is horrible in my opinion... I compare it to listening to a show while trapped inside a bottle... I've bounced around that place many a times, looking for a sweet spot, and just can't seem to find it...

As far as where the Jersey Deadheads hang out, I couldn't tell you... I stay as far away from that fucking state as possible... BUT, looks like I'll be there for 2 nights come New Years... BAH!!

• Forum MVP

The lack of crowdedness I my main motive- however, I think that the sound is best up there, or least somewhere in the balcony. I'm hoping we can recreate the vibe in the balcony from the 2000th show in Ithaca, which was epic.

Ok boards, I've been pretty dark since the relaunch but I do have a question for the longtimers...

WTF (?!?) is the deal with Jersey? I mean... This band generated out of Chi-town and the genesis was from CA so maybe I get the east bound flow...

I've been to NYC multiple times, I get that... but all I here about NJ is not good. Yet, DSO chooses NJ for NYE.

Someone pls educate me.

Happy new year brothers and sisters.

Ok boards, I've been pretty dark since the relaunch but I do have a question for the longtimers...

WTF (?!?) is the deal with Jersey? I mean... This band generated out of Chi-town and the genesis was from CA so maybe I get the east bound flow...

I've been to NYC multiple times, I get that... but all I here about NJ is not good. Yet, DSO chooses NJ for NYE.

Someone pls educate me.

Happy new year brothers and sisters.

well NJ has probably one of the biggest fan bases for DSO I'd say... or at least the tri-state area. Not to mention there are quite a bit of deadheads in NJ. So geographically, I'd say its an ideal spot for the shows. I would think that they probably want to go somewhere where they will know they would have a good turnout. Its definitely not for the weather nor because its a great venue. Its better than the Keswick- that was somewhat of a disaster a few years ago. I've never been to Bridgeport CT, so I can't comment about the venue, but I'm pretty sure it has seats and I know that the area is terrible.

I think the Hilton AC would be a fantastic venue for NYE. Lots to do post-show and hotels right there within walking distance, unlike the Keswick, Bridgeport venue, and Montclair.

I've always enjoyed the Ramshead for NYE as again logistically it works. Same with Burlington- though there you'll really freeze your ass off.

Weather-wise, i've never heard of DSO playing a NYE run anywhere warm, but Key West would be just lovely for the 50 of us that show up.

• Forum MVP

the last two years the turn out down in at the hilton hasn t been fantastic and its not centrally located like montclair is ,alot of great resturants ,been going down there a couple of times a week ,new kundalini yoga studio just opened up right down from the wellmont ,East coast always does well .the show right before thanksgiving in new brunswick on a night where it rained about 3 inches had a fantastic turn out ,now I know ,theres nothing like the crowd on the west coast but maybe when dso s out there it would be nice they got alittle more support. every show i was at on this last east coast run had good turn out s which was good to see,peace to all and happy holidays

I don't understand what you mean by they don't get enough support? I think dso does pretty well out here. They sell out venues and lord knows there's enough deadheads. I don't know the real figures but my guess is that they only do a 1/3-1/4 of the shows here that they do between east coast and midwest. To gain a solid fanbase you have to play often- people in WA, OR, and Northern California only get to see them once a year. Additionally they come out here in the fall which is a tough time of year for some folks.

And Steve I understand the fact that Montclair is in a good central location and Montclair is full of good restaurants but you're coming from the perspective of someone who goes to shows and drives home. People like to party on NYE. I think playing at a venue with easy hotel logistics makes all the difference in the world. After that Keswick show about 20 people were waiting in the frigid cold for over an hour because there were no cabs and that sucked.

(by the way- none of this is bitching on my part....)

• Forum MVP

it really doesn t matter where they play on new years on the east coast me n kris go, all i meant was montclair area always has a better turnout then down near the shore if its asbury or a c. and of course theres alot of heads out on the west coast but i believe the last few tours for them were thinner then they used to be .east coast is always better for the band ,more cities closer together .and i am happy for once i don t have to stay in a hotel room and i can drive home

I agree re turnout last few tours on west coast. It's a different beast out here. I think this upcoming spring tour will have great turnouts. Already a big buzz going around. Folks talking about trying to swing a lot of shows. Good timing helps. And I think the west coast is a great place for the band to really cut loose..... Folks out here have never seen a TN show. People would really dig it. Or even some of the more obscure Jerry stuff. Lately we have had quite a bit of dead music out here with stu doing his local gigs and other dead cover bands. It's always nice to get the stuff no one else is doing. (acoustic, pre 70s, Jerry band tunes).

it really doesn t matter where they play on new years on the east coast me n kris go, all i meant was montclair area always has a better turnout then down near the shore if its asbury or a c. and of course theres alot of heads out on the west coast but i believe the last few tours for them were thinner then they used to be .east coast is always better for the band ,more cities closer together .and i am happy for once i don t have to stay in a hotel room and i can drive home

Pardon me from a person who knows very little about NJ. I am also suggesting from only one experience.

Isn't Red Bank, NJ ideal?

Or perhaps it was just my one subjective experience from the one show I saw there (I think it was a 12/30 show some year). The hotels were there, the Thai restaurant with the GIANT Buddha was great, the old fashioned diner was great, a great Irish bar, the 6 college coed girls in string bikinis that joined my buddy and I in the hotel hot tub, etc, etc.... And also the venue seemed great to me. my 2 cents.

Archived