Zen Tricksters- Brooklyn bowl

Mango

• Forum MVP

Made the trip up to Brooklyn last night and boy was it worth it! Show started late due to the football game, which I could have cared less about(and of course there was overtime). Was glad that the giants won just for the sake of having a happy crowd. Great mix of dead tunes and tricksters originals(I don't know the name of any of these)..highlights...

1st set- greatest story smoking opener, and then a Jerry song which I can't recall. Deal with some guy I didn't know singing. Barraco tune which capped of with an awesome jam leading into the trio of scarlet>Stella blue(so sweet)>Samson. There were obviously more songs in there but I don't know the names(enjoyed them though!)

2nd set- opened with an absolutely beautiful mission in the rain. I'm blanking on everything in between here but the set ended with alligator>Nfa. Very good would be an understatement. The encore was some song, I think by hot tuna, that I had never heard before but that everyone else seemed really excited about.

An awesome time was had. Great dancing. Barraco had to stay up way past his bedtime but I think he still had fun;) a friend of mine said to me that "it was like being at a private DSO party". It did feel that way. Great job boys. Til next time, toodaloo!

• Forum MVP

Here is the entire set list, Mango:

THE ZEN TRICKSTERS. SUNDAY, 1/22/12 THE BROOKLYN BOWL

w/Rob Barraco (former Zen Trickster, DSO, Phil & Friends, The Dead)-keys

* w/Jaik Miller (Jake Miller Band, Xanax-25)-acoustic guitar and vocal

SET 1

Greatest Story Ever Told, Row Jimmy, Down the Road, Orange Sunshine*, Deal*, Call of the Wild> Jam> Scarlet Begonias> Stella Blue> Samson and Delilah

SET 2

Mission in the Rain, All Night Long Blues, Pride of Cucamonga, Shine Your Light, Alligator> Drums> Jam> Lay Your Love> Jam> Space> Not Fade Away

ENCORE: Good Shepherd

And the original tunes were Down the Road, Orange Sunshine, Call of the Wild, All Night Long Blues, Shine Your Light, and Lay Your Love. The encore was Good Shepherd by the Jefferson Airplane, but also performed extensively by Hot Tuna.

• Forum MVP

mmmm still think that this would be fabulous tune for oh I dunno, perhaps Terrapin Nation to play. Ahem. :-)

I don't know how is missed this, I thought I knew this tune decently well. Oh well.

Randi, we're you there? Didn't see you

Sounds like a great show. I used to see the Tricksters regularly. Mostly when they were a quartet, with Rob on keys, Jeff on lead of course. Always fabulous -- quality equal to DSO. Extraordinary renditions of Dead tunes, excellent originals, and other great covers. They are also good with Tom Circosta on rhythm, but I mostly saw them in the period when he wasn't there. In my area, they used to have regular "human be-ins" , "acid test" type experiences. Such a good scene. The current DSO is almost like half Tricksters. If you like Rob and Jeff, check out the Zen Tricksters album: "A Love Surreal". Really, really good.

• Forum MVP

I don't know how is missed this, I thought I knew this tune decently well. Oh well.

Randi, we're you there? Didn't see you

Didn't make it Mango. I had planned to go, but when I heard that the start time for the ZTs was pushed back til after the Giants game, it became too late on a Sunday night for me. L-Cat--I totally agree that Terrapin Nation should do Shine Your Light! It is one of my very favorite Jeff originals!!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived