DSO Jubilee - Labor Day 2012

gr8fulpair

• Forum MVP

As much as I'll hate not trekking up to NLQP over July 4th to see the best band going, I'm super stoked to see that there WILL be a DSO head-lined festival with three nights of bliss and camping with cool people. Have never been to Buckeye Lake before. From the photos on the website, looks like field camping (kind of a bummer compared to NLQP), but there were some trees and it's not hot in Ohio (compared to the good 'ol South), so I'm sure there'll be something there that I find better than GFest and it'll be my new favorite place. Plus it's looks like it's about 1-2 closer to me than Garrettsville.

Anyone shed any light on the scene? :dsorocks:

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I seen dso there a few years back over the same weekend ,it was a hooka gig ,not alot of dso support if i remember correctly,I believe at the time parking was not near camping so you had to carry every thing in .there was a number of food venders maybe 50 yards back from the stage which was a nice set up but there might of been gravel down on the ground near the stage,camping was behind vending ,flat area ,a hill to the right facing the stage ,it was deffently a different scene then a dso show ,it seemed like when ekhoostic whatever took the stage thousands of people came out of the woods ,never ventured back there .we stayed up on the hill w/ vince and sue for most of the weekend ,not much shade .bring plenty of water ..

Guest Rob Eaton

It really ticks me off to hear statements like the one above. Firstly let me say that this was "Mutual" separation between Evan and us. There were long discussions between Evan and our booking office (NOT Management). We scheduled our festival, which we've wanted to do for years, well away from Evans 4th of July celebration out of respect. Since when did Evan have the exclusive rights to Ohio? Also we are not playing the 4th this year out of choice NOT because there is a rule from All Good that say's we can't. We wish Evan all the best and hope the park grows and becomes even better then it's been in the past. We mean no disrespect in any way to Evan but we want to do our own festival. Moe does one, Younder, UM, Disco Biscuits, Mule, Allmans etc all do there own festivals, why not us? Buckeye Lake has Dead history and is an established venue with easy access for fans. When EH did there festivals for years in Ohio several a year I don't remember folks crying fowl.... Why now?

Guest L~Cat

I understand people being bummed, but the bitching, enough already. I've been to the ledges a good handful of times and it's always been wonderful but over the years but I also feel it's changed so much and the last couple times I became very frustrated with the dancing room. Love the ledges for the sweet family vibe but the reason I've always gone was for dso and if I can't dance comfortably, it's hard for me to justify spending all the money on getting there and That said, I'm assuming that this venue may have more room and no sand. I'm really happy for the band getting the opportunity to do this and I hope it's a huge success. Dso always brings great family vibes and I'm sure this will be no different. No quarry no problem.

• Forum MVP

Why the bickering? Break-ups always have some tensions, but lets try to remember were all family. We owe Evan a great deal (I had great times at the Ledges), but as the Cat said, I always went for DSO. I owe DSO more than they will ever know. Can't we all have our fun?

Well it's not going to be anywhere near as awesome as Nelson Ledges you can bet on that. I would imagine it's one of those "tent city" type events.

You know I'm a huge fan of DSO and of NLQP and Gratefulfest, but something doesn't seem quite right here to me. It almost seems as though someone wants to "stick it" to Evan. Perhaps I'm reading too much into this but, for years DSO has been hosted by Evan at the quarry for Gratefulfest, which was awesome! In fact that's our vacation....we drive from Philly to NLQP and stay the whole week for Gratefulfest.

The thing that bothers me, is not the fact that DSO doesn't want to play Gratefulfest anymore....let's face it, things can get old, people change....blah, blah, blah. But this is like rubbing salt into a wound.....or thumbing your nose to the man... moving Allgood to Evan's "backyard"....securing all the "dead related" acts....making them sign a clause to make sure they can't play Gratefulfest.

And now this Jubilee....basically you're own version of Evan's Gratefulfest, again right in his own "backyard"....what is it 2-3 hours away?

I don't know Man...something don't seem right. I thought there was some sort of unwritten festie rule of mutual respect and understanding that you don't step on others toes.....working your festie around the next guys festie.This seems like somone's playing hardball.

Anyway we'll be at Gratefulfest, or the 4th of July celebration, or whatever Evan decides to call it due to the small band pool he's being forced to fish in this year....and we'll have a grate time no matter what just because it's NLQP and the Quarry Rocks!

Hey now ~

First let me say that I appreciate your concern.. but I don't appreciate the intended vibe you've put forth... especially since you don't really know and are just assuming that someone wants to stick it to Evan. As a youngster, I learned why not to assume anything.. ass/u/me it makes an ass out of you and me. It's pretty early and I hope this post ends up being a good one as I feel some shakeyness in myself and towards your post and would like to defend the situation here without returning the bad vibe.

You can imagine it's one of those tent city type events... since you've never been there. You'll find the staff at Legend Valley to be very professional yet very friendly and you won't experience anyone yelling at you or shaking you down. And there is plenty of room to camp. And a slip n slide. And trees and fields and horses and beautiful people.

As for sticking it to Evan... that's such a terrible statement it's almost funny.... but it's not funny at all. Why would you say something like that, really? Go to Gratefulfest, too. It's still at NLQP and it's still in July... two night of Melvin's JGB and two nights of Wookiefoot and many other bands. Evan has the festival Gratefulfest and for years DSO played. This year, they're not playing. It's unfortunate that it bothers you. Pardon me when I say that you have no idea about the intricacies of the situation. Last summer, I assisted in getting the hospitality together... because it was completely haywire and that's all I'm saying about that. One of those dirty little secrets.

As for moving All Good to Evan's backyard... let me pause for a moment to gather my thoughts :blink: For years, Steve (owner of LV) has tried to work around Evan's schedule... which is why he hasn't had many shows or many big shows at his place. But, how long can someone run a business around someone else's practices?? I don't hear you complaining that, this year after many years of the same scheduling, Evan changed one of his shows to be on the same weekend as Steve's show that he's had for years. Stuff happens and we roll on. And your statement about securing all the Dead related acts.... did you ever go see the real Grateful Dead at Legend Valley/Buckeye Lake??? If you did, you would be pining (yes, pining - yearning and longing) for that feeling once again.

I appreciate that you're concerned about everyone involved enough to post all your thoughts here. But I thought that there was " some sort of unwritten festie rule of mutual respect and understanding that you don't " post bad vibes and bad mouth bands on their forum??

As for the small band pool Evan is being forced to fish this year... jeeeezz ~ maybe it was his idea to not spend any money on the festival, to make it smaller than years past. Maybe it's up to him to spend as much or as little money as he wants on bands. Maybe that part has nothing to do with DSO and is entirely up to Evan's choosing.

While you certainly have a right to say or spew whatever you like... it seems you've stepped on my toes by talking so much bad vibe about things you're unsure of. You could've worded your worries differently... but you chose not to. Now I've felt the need to attempt to clarify these things which involve my friends... and too, have perpetuated your bad vibe. Yuck :(

But I love DSO and I love the Grateful Dead. And I love Steve Trickle and his beautiful family. And I love Evan (despite his demons) and I love the fine folks at the quarry park... most of 'em anyway. I love lotsa folks and I love good times and blue sky sunshine. I love music that's good... and if I were Tom T Hall I'd say I love you, too. But I'm not and I don't know you. But I do wish you the best of luck. And I hope you'll find satisfaction in all that you do. May you live long and prosper ~

I'm looking forward to this summer ~ I can't wait to go to both nlqp and legend valley for all the shows. I'm totally excited about the Jubilee ~ and the good music we'll be blessed to hear all summer long. I can't wait to see beautiful smiles and get good hugs and dance ~

:dsorocks:

:wub:

• Forum MVP

I could care less than a dog on a sunny back porch in the Ozarks chewing on a bone ....

EXCEPT - being a teacher and having the summer off it was nice to have the festival during the 4th of July .. I was in no rush to get in or out .... but since it is over Labor Day and the school year just starts up and Las Vegas to Ohio is not an easy flight sometimes it looks like I will not be able to make it ...

BUT - the Ohio State Buckeyes do play the season opener down the road in the Horseshoe that Saturday Sept. 1st .... hmmm...

got to go and chew on that bone again for a spell ....

You're right...I don't know a thing about the festie situation. I said that perhaps I was reading too much into it. I was just stating how it looked to me, I am not speaking for Evan or the Quarry.

Let me say that I'm sorry to Rob and whom ever the post offended. I'm looking forward to G-fest this year...have fun at the Jubilee!

• Forum MVP

Well it's not going to be anywhere near as awesome as Nelson Ledges you can bet on that. I would imagine it's one of those "tent city" type events.

It almost seems as though someone wants to "stick it" to Evan

But this is like rubbing salt into a wound.....or thumbing your nose to the man... moving Allgood to Evan's "backyard"....securing all the "dead related" acts....making them sign a clause to make sure they can't play Gratefulfest.

And now this Jubilee....basically you're own version of Evan's Gratefulfest, again right in his own "backyard"....what is it 2-3 hours away?

.working your festie around the next guys festie.This seems like somone's playing hardball.

You should have been careful with these thoughts before they became words, especially when speaking of something you know nothing about.

• Forum MVP

You should have been careful with these thoughts before they became words, especially when speaking of something you know nothing about.

now this is some good advice I could have used also , many many times !!! ;)

• Forum MVP

Jubilee on Labor Day weekend sounds like a blast...

Slightly of thread topic, but I've been curious about the possibility of some out west outdoor DSO this summer,,,July and August still seem pretty mysterious...

One consideration is the old "Oregon field trip" phenomenon with all of the following played out in the woods at the Oregon Country Fair site:

8/27 1972 GD---Classic show!!

8/28 1982 GD

Aug. 1992 GD---Cancelled due to Jerry health issues

July 2002 DSO---Three separate shows of DSO on stage at the fair

July 2012 DSO????????? --Fair dates: July 13-15

Now, why let such a great decadal tradition go by the wayside??! :)

• Forum MVP

There are some nice trees at the top of the hill looking down on the stage, should be the best weekend of the summer folks, revoking all the spirits that have lived on there since the 1970's, it's got a nice sense of community to the landscape inside the concert area. It's a great place to get lost and still be at home

• Forum MVP

Island Bro -

it looks like DSO is going to play outdoors in July.... but not in Oregon ...

looks like Friday July 13th in Charleston,WV at the "Live on the Levee" is almost a lock .... as well as Wednesday July 11th in Springfield, Ohio...

and both those shows are free !!!

• Forum MVP

If the charlestown, wv show is anything like huntington, wv of last year, this show will be one not to miss. The recreation of huntington 78 they did outdoors was a scorcher. I think jam on the levee is going to have a similar set up to huntington; I would bet the show will also be a scorcher.

• Forum MVP

...looks like Friday July 13th in Charleston,WV at the "Live on the Levee" is almost a lock .... as well as Wednesday July 11th in Springfield, Ohio...

I've been hoping for some news about Springfield which is always a wonderful Wednesday in the park...so Thursday can be a short drive to West Virgina and the show on Friday. But I wonder if they would squeeze in a show on Thursday night ?

Peace and Love,

Doc

• 2 weeks later...

What about the fact that ekoostik hookah were threatened by DSO's management and bullied to move their Hookahville weekend, which has been on Labor Day weekend for nearly 20 years? What about that? Steve Trickle was TOLD that if he didnt move ekoostik hookah's festival off of Labor Day weekend, that he [Mr.Walther] would "kill Hookahville" <Mr. Walther's words.

I guess he assumed Hookah would drop the fest altogether, but when he found out that they are being the bigger people and moving their nearly 20-yr-tradition LaborDay wknd fest to the weekend that follows it, that wasn't good enough for Walthers. I guess he thought they wouldn't do their fall fest at all. His words: "You're still doing Hookahville?!" to Hookah's booking agent and hung up the phone.

Everyone is so pissed about NLQP that no one even cares that All Good and DSO management are bullying and pillaging their way through long-time regional festival scenes left and right.

Sidenote: NLQP has SOOO many issues, I don't blame DSO for moving from there. As beautiful and comfortable and lovely as NLQP is, the management issues and legal/ local PD probelms are making it sadly fall apart. I don't think anyone is "sticking it" to Evan; Evan has been sticking it to himself for years.

My 2 cents. Bash away :) :) :)

Guest L~Cat

What about the fact that ekoostik hookah were threatened by DSO's management and bullied to move their Hookahville weekend, which has been on Labor Day weekend for nearly 20 years? What about that? Steve Trickle was TOLD that if he didnt move ekoostik hookah's festival off of Labor Day weekend, that he [Mr.Walther] would "kill Hookahville" <Mr. Walther's words.

I

I assume that you have the transcript from the conversation or were there to witness it..... lets not play whisper down the alley.

• Forum MVP

So you heard it straight from the source and decided to create an account here and share it. For what purpose? To make the band look bad? Admittedly I've heard a lot of things about this Walther guy recently. Whether or not they are true I don't know, I'm just focused on the music being played on stage. Hookahfest reAlly? Does anybody actually go to that shit?;)

Archived