DSO Jubilee - Labor Day 2012

gr8fulpair

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest L~Cat

What would it matter if I had a "transcript"? What difference would it make? What would it change? There are no alleys or whispering going on here. Straight from the source. What's the difference? How would you process the information differently, L CAT?

and whats the point of you joining here to kindly give us this information? What difference does it make? Doesn't change anything either....

This is a fan site.... what do you think is going to happen? This isn't really the place to bash dso's management....we have nothing to do with it....

There are 3 sides to every story.... lets not forget this is a business....like any other....

And by the way, those hookah guys have HOW many festivals? hookah in the hills, spring hookah, ledges hookah, hookah here and hookah there.....

I am not one to post things anonymously, but when you are dealing with such Mafia types of personalities that are being displayed, I really don't want to be bullied myself.. I am NOT bashing the band at all. However a band manager represents a band, plain and simple. Why is it okay for everyone else to have an opinion about moving the fest from NLQP but not okay for me to have an opinion about this?

YES people still go to Hookahville.

YES of course they will be "alright".. It's not even a matter of competition, it's a matter of principle. I LOVE Dark Star and am a fan of about 12 years. Still gonna stand up for the hometown bands who are being trampled and ouright bullied. It's one thing to throw a festival the same weekend as others, it's one thing to have all these exclusivity clauses and whatnot--- but it's a whole 'nother thing to tell a band and a venue owner that you are going to "kill" a festival, and to expect local bands and venue owners to do whatever you dictate.. like who the heck do you think you are?? MAFIA style.

Guest L~Cat

there is a way to present information without sounding antagonistic yourself. Reading your original post, I would have not gathered you are a DSO fan at all, rather a fan of Hookah coming on here to bitch to us fans who have nothing to do with the management's actions.....

Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy

-Isaac Newton

• Forum MVP

Maybe there are 3 things that nobody wants to see made > Legislation, Sausage, and now Festivals.

If this is true, I feel bad for the Hookah camp. They played a small festival I orgainized back in 1993 and seemed like good folks. While I understand that tradition is importnant and also that things eventually change, I am not in favor of lead-pipe cruelty and creating such adversarial relationships. I know business is business but this is way over the top for me.

There are likely many layers to this situation and I am not so sure it is as cut-and-dry as what has been presented here. I am not saying its patently untrue, but it's still only one side of the story. I am psyched for the festival but wish the circumstances sourrounding its orgainization could have been a bit different than they appear to be.

I am in no way trying to antagonize the band or the fans, but in regards to those of you asking what is the point in me posting to bitch about things the fans have no control over-- I know that at least a couple of the band members read and post on here... I want them to know JUST how much information is out there spreading around, and even if some of it is exaggerated or slightly misquoted, there is some truth at the core of it. At SOME point surely they're gonna get tired of defending their manager, and if they never do anything to change how he does things, then they must be okay with it.

I normally try to keep business and music separate, and I have SUCH a huge appreciation for the MUSIC, though it may not be apparent here, and

I have seen DSO probably about 70 times. But you can't say that they have NO control over the executive decisions made for the band.. If SO, then they are complete sell-outs. Because why else would you relinquish all control of decisions except for money?

I know some bands who may sell less tickets but have a little more integrity. And I know which way my support goes.

remember when 3Gs moved to Ohio for a minute... and all the drama in between... sigh

jeez, I've been outside doing yardwork since about 9 this morning and it hasn't gotten my heart pumping nearly as much as folks who like to rile other folks up... job well done... I'm all riled up

well, this thread has surely seen it's ups and downs... wonder how this will go :wacko:

Hello Delia DeLion, oh sweet Delia D. Welcome to a forum that usually carries good vibes held by fans of DSO. Welcome, indeed. My name is Michelle, as you can tell. I imagine we must know each other as I've been going to see ekoostik hookah since around the time they played Dover Lake Park after the Dead show at Richfield Coliseum... musta been '92. I went to the first Hookahville. It was only over night, the first one, at the property of Dave Katz and Jeff Spencer. I think it cost $7 to get in. It was the day before the Floyd played the horseshoe. The played on the bed of a semi trailer... with a string or two of Christmas lights around. My friend and I carried our cooler up, standing in front of the band in the woods. We still giggle about our lantern being the main stage lighting. They played Songbird a few times and various other venues. Alpine Hills (in Ohio) with Merl Saunders... oh Merl... what a sweet guy. I've seen the band go through many changes over the years. From a very small band, who were fans of the Grateful Dead, playing smokey basement bars, to a much larger band with huge overhead. API grew and at some point, after buying lots of things and who knows what not... the overhead became too much to support (employing lots of friends, giving tons of people vip passes/free entrance to every show... over 100 passes at Hookahville). I've always tried to be a positive light in the ekoostik hookah scene. And I still love them to this day. I don't know the two new guys, really. But, I hope the very best for them.

I like how, in one of your posts, you wrote, "Bash away." That was cute. I'm compelled to ask you, did Steve tell you that Mr. Walther threatened to kill Hookahville? That doesn't make sense to me, pardon me. Ekoostik Hookah has been around for decades and have a faithful following. Hookahville has featured some fine musical acts that draw numbers, in addition. It always depends on the notariety of the act. Hookahville has seen some big names acts (Bob Weir, David Crosby, Arlo Guthrie, John Bell, Ricky Skaggs, George Clinton... I could go on). It's also featured some acts that should've drawn a crowd but didn't or the musician acquired more fans after playing the 'ville. As for killing Hookahville, maybe the point was not to have it on the same weekend... because it would split the crowd with the festivals being ten miles apart. I noticed you said hookah's booking agent... is that Dave or Jeff? or someone else ?? pardon me for asking... just curious

Also, can you comment on the (recent historical) rights to the name Hookahville, please?

I hope you don't mind that I've commented this much on a topic that maybe be better left alone. I'm Ohio Grown, too. These are all my friends of which you speak. While I don't know Mr. Walther at any length, he's always been very cordial. I do know a few members of the DSO family/crew/band and they all seem like fine folks. I try my best to be good family... wherever I may be. I try to contribute well to the music scene in Ohio. Of course, I'm always looking for wisdom. You've come to this forum, not necessarily to spread love and kindness, but to enlighten us of the horrors of the music scene. I appreciate your concern. We should all strive to be good folks, spreading kindness and love, watching out for each other and making things better and better all the time. Sometimes, in desperation, folks do things they wouldn't normally do. Sometimes, messages and intentions get skewed or misinterpreted. Sometimes, if the thunder don't get ya then the lightnin' will ~

I'll say just a little bit more here, pardon me. I'm not sure what you expected to achieve here, sharing your thoughts and worries. Pardon me when I attempt to speak for more than myself when I say that we're fans of the band DSO here. Mostly, we're loving folk trying to do the best we can and enjoy life a little bit, sharing some of our very favorite music together.

Thinking this over... I'm wondering how we know each other... because I'm almost sure we do... and I'm wondering who you are LOL and I'm scared that I know exactly who you are LOL sigh

Alright, I'm totally weirded out now and I've said plenty. I'm looking forward to both Hookahvilles and the Jubilee. And I'm looking forward to things working out wonderfully for everyone ~ much love to you all

:grouphug:

:dsorocks:

No positive progress was ever made without some feathers getting ruffled. Not to EQUATE it with something more serious than it is, but I get just as fired up about matters of civil equality and the like; I am an advocate of all things positive, good, wholesome, truthful, respectful, and equal.

Again, goodness never conquered ill intent without SOMEONE gettin "riled up".......

Y'ain't gotta tell me I'm cute, I already know. :)

All Good Things in All Good Time.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, enough is enough already, why in the HELL are you giving sausage a hard time Texas? What did Jimmy Dean ever do to you, HUH?

To DeLyons credit, if I were a Hoohkaville fan, which there are plenty of, I'd probably be a little miffed myself...just saying.

I just don't understand the sentiment to "kill hookahville." Doesn't make sense to me. And I'm sure I know too much about all the dirty laundry regarding the Ohio music scene... too much.

I'll put my head on the chopping block and say... all that spew from Miss DeLions... is from one guy that's got his panties in a bunch... whom I've know for decades. He's even written extremely harsh words to me in the past when I was only expressing concern for choices being made... only to turn around and recant his rage after realizing I'd sent a second email asserting that I wasn't taking sides, simply concerned for the situation and all involved. And the concerns I'd expressed have indeed come to fruition... and I wonder if he ever thinks about that.

To come on this forum and try to turn folks against their own is just shifty and underhanded. Believe it if you need it or leave it if you dare. I just got off the phone with someone close to the decisions being made regarding this lame topic... and the words I say are true... these accusations are blown out of proportion and are stemming from a fella that should known better and shoulda been a better person than that. It goes to show, you don't ever know

and

don't believe everything you hear / read

peace to you all ~ and no scuttlebutt no no

no scuttlebut?

no scuttlebut?

Please accept my apology. I let this darn thread, those comments, suck me into the drama vortex ~ dang it! I shoulda thought of something better like

http://youtu.be/dTj6AkrSVHQ

I do know the truth to those claims and it's disappoints me... and only slightly surprises me... and I shoulda went with my instincts that those claims were exaggerated... and I shoulda not said anything instead of getting sucked into the whole riling up attempt. To clarify, I don't mean that Mr. Walther did anything like the accusations suggest. Rather those accusations came from a disgruntled individual attempting to tarnish Tim's reputation. I feel like editing all my comments and am bummed that I got sucked in to that whole crazy mindset ~ wah wah waahhhh

:dsorocks:

Guest Rob Eaton

What a bunch of horse shit...... Tim Walther saved us long ago and he is our friend first and foremost. If your gonna sling muck under the guise of a fake name you get no credibility in my book... Maybe the owner of Legends Valley made the decision ? Just sayin.... There is room for everyone here. At least in my book...

• Forum MVP

It's actually "Mudslinging" ... but that is usually used just in politics .... and wild because I did a President shout out earlier in this thread

the term "Muckraker" is associated with journalists who actually wrote truthful reports to combat all the yellow journalism that was taking place in the 1890s and early 1900s ....

the old Rough Rider Teddy Roosevelt was not a fan of them there Muckrakers ...but what President actually wants the truth printed :rofl:

• Forum MVP

I was really hoping this would be a thread about how cool the Jubilee is going to be, warm weather, grassy fields, campfires, barefooted, sun dresses, butterflies, ....... oh well..... we could get back to that if you want.

Guest L~Cat

nahhhh I'd rather wallow in the depths of despondency and negativity. 3 nights of dso and other hot bands in the summer outside? whatever....

madcat.jpg

Archived