DSO Jubilee - Labor Day 2012

gr8fulpair

• Forum MVP

Business is business. I'm sure that being a concert promoter, and manager is not an easy thing to do, and not everyone is going to like you. Not many people liked John Scher either. But Tim has to look out for his interests, it's a dog eat dog world out there. Everything can't be peaches and cream all the time. I have no idea whether or not what you say is true, and frankly I don't give a damn. You're not going to garner any support here by bashing the bands management. It's none of our business what goes on behind the scenes. I'm going to the DSO Jubilee for the music. Peace.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

What Greg said. I have no idea about the behind-the-scenes maneuvering and tactics in promoting on this level. But I have had the pleasure of meeting and spending social time with Tim on more than one occasion. He was always a gentleman and very interested in our perspective on this side of the rail.

I doubt Bill Graham was a saint either

This is not a unicorn and rainbow world, however many of those we may chase at shows. I promoted several shows here in LV, to include one for DSO, and it was very very illuminating. It increased my respect for all those in that end of the business. And clearly it is just that - a business. I'm not sure many are in it for their health. And while winning friends does help influence people, the former probably is just not always possible.

I appreciate the fact that those quoted above were not engaged in DSO bashing as such. But the position of certain folks regarding the Jubilee and how it has come to be where it is on the summer calendar has been made very clear. Did it serve any useful purpose to flog this horse again? This is a public forum and Jerry's tent is big. But because something can be said doesn't mean it must be said.

Yep, let's stir the pot again.....Why must this crap keep coming up? Why can't we all just be psyched about the Jubilee and that DSO is able to accomplish a Fest. of their own with cool bands? And I'm glad it's happening and during Labor day weekend makes it easier for my husband and me to take off.

• Forum MVP

Maybe there's a concert promoters forum out there somewhere where everyone fixated on who does what to who can quote all of their "sources" and lay out the "facts" of the sinister plans of the evil promoters so we can get back to our unicorns and rainbows. I'm sure my ticket money will end up screwing somebody, but until I decide to become a promoter and overhaul the whole dang industry, I'm keepin my mouth shut and feet dancin!

Hey, y'all questioned the sources and credibility, so I was just fulfilling that demand.

Again, it's not just a behind-the-scenes promoter thing, it's the fans who are affected in the long run.

I have no intention of pot-stirring, but when I am accused of "slinging muck" and spewing bullshit, I feel the need to back it up.

Like I said, I know it makes no difference to people who aren't affected by it and knew that no one would care.

But I'm a lady of integrity and wanted to back up the information I presented.

Carry on folks :-)

Obviously it's all about you folks' good time, so I hope it's a great one! And I mean that in all sincerity. The original posts were never to tell you to boycott the festival; it was always about making the band aware of how many people were upset by their manager's dealings in the hopes maybe something would change, to PROTECT the band that I love. However they clearly care more about money than their manager's ethics, so... There it is!

Seriously...have a blast guys!

Lolz ^ Really? You don't say?

3 nights of dso, that's gonna be fun. The three, four, even five night runs they did at Gratefulfest at Nelson Ledges were always stellar. For sure.

They used to do an entire night of all fan request-by-raffle songs (fans would buy raffle tickets and "vote" for songs they wanted to hear, and all the proceeds would benefit Rhetts Syndrome.). Those shows were always awesome because of course people voted for lesser-played Dead songs. I have very fond memories of some of the songs they played during those shows.

Do they do that anywhere else? I have no idea. But I will always treasure the Gratefulfests spent at NLQP.

I'm sure you all will create similar fond memories of the Jubilee.

Though Legend Valley is like a desert compared to NLQP so it could never be quite as amazing..lol. At least it won't be QUITE as hot as it's gonna be there during All Good. Phew.

• Forum MVP

Some of us always bought raffle tickets for them to play Eye of the Tiger, but it never happened. I think it got confused with that other Eyes song.

The Recipe family cookout and Flashback fests were fun, too. I even miss the quarterstick of TNT nights. Time to make new memories...

• Forum MVP

IMO DSO has deserved a festival like this for a long time. While they always headlined gratefulfest, this one is theirs'. I'm very excited and plan to help make this festival be the best it can be. Bring goodness and it will all be good.

Guest Rob Eaton

It will take time to build but we are very glad to finall have our own festival. Not gonna bite on the hearsay but rather focus on the great family weekend with some great music.. I for one can't wait... Thanks Tim for helping to make our dream a reality!

Im trying to find out if we need a VIP ticket. We are taking our friends VW bus up and would really like to be camped next to it. I wouldnt care with a regular car, but it has an awning and a cooking setup. It would be nice to be able to camp right next to it. Could we get 1 VIP and the rest regular tickets or are only VIPs allowed to camp in that area. If anyone knows, it would be greatly appreciated. I went to The Dead at Buckeye in 94, but I know thats a different setup. Plus that day went from 95 to 65 degrees in a hurry during that storm and all I remember about the whole thing was buying a bloomin onion to hold in our hands to warm us because there was no coffee. That and I bought a new tie-dye that day from a vendor and it bled all down my shorts and down my leg during the rain storm. Everyone was pointing because my whole body was tiedyed. My friends were cracking on me saying something about did you get that tiedye at Walmart. Felt a little insecure considering we were tripping balls lol.

Does anyone know much about the VIP for the weekend. I am not sure if I am camping. It sounds like the VIP gets you close to the stage and parking by your car. Can you drive in / out of VIP camping area? Is there VIP parking near the VIP entrance?

Thanks,

Steve

Yes, my understanding is if you buy VIP you get to park next to your car and, yes, have a "private" entrance to that area, and be close to the stage.

Apparently only VIP tickets get the VIP area. Your passengers will need VIPs also.

I think this line up looks to be the best put together for the price. Most bang for your buck. Think the business people did a great job here.

TOTALLY AGREE!!! So lookin forward!

Business is business. I'm sure that being a concert promoter, and manager is not an easy thing to do, and not everyone is going to like you. Not many people liked John Scher either. But Tim has to look out for his interests, it's a dog eat dog world out there. Everything can't be peaches and cream all the time. I have no idea whether or not what you say is true, and frankly I don't give a damn. You're not going to garner any support here by bashing the bands management. It's none of our business what goes on behind the scenes. I'm going to the DSO Jubilee for the music. Peace.

right on :)

we could ... but the ohio festy scene people might want to tell us more about DSO's diabolical plan to ruin their summer ... :rolleyes:

:dsorocks:

Totally. I will be barefooted and dancing. Definitely wearing a sun dress. I don't understand why people are so cranky?????

I'm sure it's just as easy for wealthy republicans to ask "why are they so cranky?" In regards to middle class workers trying to make a change in the economic system.

Again, it's something you DON'T understand because you're not affected by it.

It doesn't make me a negative Nancy; it's doesn't make me a moron; it doesn't make me a non-fan.

I'm just someone who is a part of a small community wanting our voice heard.

I'm not "cranky". I am disappointed by a band who I have loved for years.

So get off of your high horse and recognize that just because you don't "understand" why certain events affect certain people differently, doesn't mean there isn't a valid reason in someone else's book. The funny thing is, I have NEVER done this before in my life. I am a genuinely happy show-goer; a bigger music lover than you can even imagine.. i don't just go around pissing & moaning on forums every time I'm unhappy with something. No, this was one of the most out-of-line and insane stories I heard in a while, and it was enough to make me say something. And if you knew me, you would know that that's saying alot. It's pretty ironic how quickly everyone is to jump on my negative comments and things to dispute, but I get no response when I make positive statements. That says quite a bit about the people on this forum.

Just sayin!

• Forum MVP

" I am a genuinely happy show-goer; a bigger music lover than you can even imagine."

Hey that was a cool positive statement. I enjoyed reading that part. I'm a happy show-goer too.

As for the rest, I'm sure you understand it will be hard to gather a constituency for your cause on a forum devoted to supporting the band. Come here to talk about positive shit.

but I get no response when I make positive statements.

The problem with your positive statements is that they seem sarcastic, especially when you join the forum and start off so strong in your negative feelings, knowledge and opinions. Maybe if you started with positives instead of negatives, the people of this fine forum would be more accepting and respectful to you. Show respect to be respected.

Peace, Kris

:dsorocks: and :crewrocks:

I'm sure it's just as easy for wealthy republicans to ask "why are they so cranky?" In regards to middle class workers trying to make a change in the economic system.

Again, it's something you DON'T understand because you're not affected by it.

It doesn't make me a negative Nancy; it's doesn't make me a moron; it doesn't make me a non-fan.

I'm just someone who is a part of a small community wanting our voice heard.

I'm not "cranky". I am disappointed by a band who I have loved for years.

So get off of your high horse and recognize that just because you don't "understand" why certain events affect certain people differently, doesn't mean there isn't a valid reason in someone else's book. The funny thing is, I have NEVER done this before in my life. I am a genuinely happy show-goer; a bigger music lover than you can even imagine.. i don't just go around pissing & moaning on forums every time I'm unhappy with something. No, this was one of the most out-of-line and insane stories I heard in a while, and it was enough to make me say something. And if you knew me, you would know that that's saying alot. It's pretty ironic how quickly everyone is to jump on my negative comments and things to dispute, but I get no response when I make positive statements. That says quite a bit about the people on this forum.

Just sayin!

I got a positive response to wearing a sundress and dancing barefoot. Why don't you try something like that?

Guest Rob Eaton

It still Amazes me how when we try to do our own festival, with a great line up, for what I think is the best bang for your buck this summer folks still try to look at the negative. Here's the positive spin:

We are bringing a great head friendly line up to the wonderful state of Ohio. Family oriented at less then $100 bucks for 3 full days of music and camping. $33 per day camping and music. Nobody's been hurt. HVille was moving dates anyway... Spikedrivers are on the bill. We thank Tim Walther for helping us and are proud and thankful he's our manager and friend... This is a win win for everyone... Let's start talking about how much fun we all are going to have and maybe even a Thursday check(don't hold me to that) life's to short to keep pounding negative energy to something that's no going to change. I've always said if you can't change history don't wast your time worrying about it. Move on and be happy.. I've had to do that recently and it does work... Forward thinking.....

Archived