We're getting "Bugeyed"

Pdxhead

Take another step back!

Man I love you guys so much and you consistently blow me away every time I see you. Just got back from NorthWest tour and I have to say that your playing seems to improve with each year. Jeff is just a monster and such a fine addition since losing John.

My only issue is the space at these shows. Friday night at Seattle and Saturday at the crystal were just packed. There were points where it was getting to hard to have a good time because we were sardined so close.

I don't know if there is a solution to this or if its just the fault of your understandable popularity. All I know is Eugene felt incredibly sweet because I could finally dance (not to mention the really sweet vibes of the peeps there.)

Anyhow I seem to remember having more space...is it time to play bigger venues? Or maybe add a couple more shows. I always loved seeing the boys when they played three shows in a row...would that work to thin out the masses?

• Forum MVP

Take another step back!

Man I love you guys so much and you consistently blow me away every time I see you. Just got back from NorthWest tour and I have to say that your playing seems to improve with each year. Jeff is just a monster and such a fine addition since losing John.

My only issue is the space at these shows. Friday night at Seattle and Saturday at the crystal were just packed. There were points where it was getting to hard to have a good time because we were sardined so close.

I don't know if there is a solution to this or if its just the fault of your understandable popularity. All I know is Eugene felt incredibly sweet because I could finally dance (not to mention the really sweet vibes of the peeps there.)

Anyhow I seem to remember having more space...is it time to play bigger venues? Or maybe add a couple more shows. I always loved seeing the boys when they played three shows in a row...would that work to thin out the masses?

Before the economy tanked, John left for Further, and aforementioned band started touring, we used to do 2 nights Seattle, 2 nights Portland. We had to switch to one night each once a year. Now that things seem to be back on track, maybe we can do 2 and 2 or come twice a year once again!!! I hope!

Thanks Rob- I was right up front in Portland when you were playing Jude- Fantasy....very sweet....

You know its funny- I couldn't groove on any post-Dead incarnation and my friend had to drag me to a DSO show a number of years back. I was truly astonished and started crying from the opening of Jack Straw. I know it may be cheesy to say but y'all are healers. Its got to be hard to be on the road so much and just to let you know we really really appreciate what you give.

And yeah- I think its clear that you are very well loved up here in the PNW- so more shows please!

• Forum MVP

I'd go for 2 Oly and 2 Eugene to take care of us in the NW but I know that isn't where the $ is at. Just don't leave out Eugene whatever you do---that's some serious heart and soul that I know is good medicine for all involved...

Switching to the Moore theater in Seattle would be another sweet consideration as it is slightly larger and better vibe all around than the showbox (drinks only out in lobby, balcony, more space to spread out, gorgeous old theater, etc.)

I don't know what the best venue upgrade for more space would be in Portland...do you PDXhead?

Yes, and I agree with Rob that it would be VERY nice to back to the twice a year NW hit...I still miss the October shows!!

Yeah we loooove it when you play small town shows- Olympia and Eugene especially. And yeah I get that you can't make as much money there- but man....it lights us up.

I'd agree with you Island that the Moore theatre would be an upgrade- the Showbox was just packed to the rafters om that friday show and the staff can be pretty surly there. Great sound though...

In Portland, its tough because the Crystal is such a sweet old theater. Besides that would be the roseland perhaps- just a big box but good sound...just not much soul. And actually I think the capacity is about he same----1500.

Furthur is playing out at Edgefield McMennamins and I know the capacity out there is 5000 which might be too much for you guys. Too bad- that place would just be awesome. It would be great to see you at more outdoor spots.

Yeah I'd say the answer to Portland is just to play more consecutive shows at the Crystal. Just like you said Rob.

• Forum MVP

Sounds good!!!

Since I'm not a big city person, I dream of a NW tour that goes Bellingham, Oly, Eugene (2shows), then Ashland and on to Arcata.

But I'm also realistic and really see how the Seattle thing really helps the band/crew get paid, which I feel good about even when we get scrunched in there...but I think the Moore theater would have a good shot at striking the balance with success for the band AND space to dance with a chill scene. The first night Showbox this year was great for space, though (not sold out), and I like the sound in that space...

But outdoor DSO in the NW one of these summers would sure be a welcome hit...

Fun to dream...

Guest L~Cat

Sounds good!!!

Since I'm not a big city person, I dream of a NW tour that goes Bellingham, Oly, Eugene (2shows), then Ashland and on to Arcata.

But I'm also realistic and really see how the Seattle thing really helps the band/crew get paid, which I feel good about even when we get scrunched in there...but I think the Moore theater would have a good shot at striking the balance with success for the band AND space to dance with a chill scene. The first night Showbox this year was great for space, though (not sold out), and I like the sound in that space...

But outdoor DSO in the NW one of these summers would sure be a welcome hit...

Fun to dream...

weren't you saying the Neptune was the new best place in seattle? Isn't that where RRE played?

Moore holds 1500 people...may be too big for 2 nights....not sure, just saying....and can they get the seats out of that place? last thing we want are seats to deal with .

Neptune holds 900...can do GA with no seats... little smaller than showbox

Whats the deal with the showbox sodo? that place is bigger than the other showbox.... but I'm sure they employ the same mean security guards..... that is what makes the place a drag for me....

• Forum MVP

Ventura County fair

We will always play Eugene! Hornings has been discussed as a possible west coast festival site(maybe one day!!) I've heard a lot about that place in Seattle. Who knows? RB

I have wonderful memories of some 2 and 3 day events here in SoCal at the Ventura County Fairgrounds !!!

Irvine Lake could work also , camping and a lake , what more could you want !!! ;)

• Forum MVP

weren't you saying the Neptune was the new best place in seattle? Isn't that where RRE played?

Moore holds 1500 people...may be too big for 2 nights....not sure, just saying....and can they get the seats out of that place? last thing we want are seats to deal with .

Neptune holds 900...can do GA with no seats... little smaller than showbox

Whats the deal with the showbox sodo? that place is bigger than the other showbox.... but I'm sure they employ the same mean security guards..... that is what makes the place a drag for me....

Yes the Neptune would be the ideal, but since it is smaller, I'm figuring not as good for the band(?) although maybe they could sell out 2 shows there and it would all pan out well......but since the Moore is a bit larger (and groovier on many levels) that's why I've gone back to that suggestion (I've been harping on this concept for years now!!) as a way to loosen up the vibe in Seattle/Showbox...But the Moore has fixed seats although plenty of dance space up in front of the stage, out on the sides and in the aisles (and the staff there don't care what you do!!) and much of that is flat so it's good.

But, overall, yes, the Neptune (which opened last fall after a major renovation--it's an old 1920's theater) would be an incredible fit for the vibe if DSO were to play there...mellower neighborhood, too....

Bottom line....wherever they play I'll be there enjoying myself,,,but I'll probably continue to analyze the pros and cons of the various venues in search of the ideal........you should see my wife and I picking out a campsite---we spend quite a bit of time getting it just right!!! Deadheads picky???!! Nahhhhh........!

Guest L~Cat

Yes the Neptune would be the ideal, but since it is smaller, I'm figuring not as good for the band(?) although maybe they could sell out 2 shows there and it would all pan out well......but since the Moore is a bit larger (and groovier on many levels) that's why I've gone back to that suggestion (I've been harping on this concept for years now!!) as a way to loosen up the vibe in Seattle/Showbox...But the Moore has fixed seats although plenty of dance space up in front of the stage, out on the sides and in the aisles (and the staff there don't care what you do!!) and much of that is flat so it's good.

But, overall, yes, the Neptune (which opened last fall after a major renovation--it's an old 1920's theater) would be an incredible fit for the vibe if DSO were to play there...mellower neighborhood, too....

Bottom line....wherever they play I'll be there enjoying myself,,,but I'll probably continue to analyze the pros and cons of the various venues in search of the ideal........you should see my wife and I picking out a campsite---we spend quite a bit of time getting it just right!!! Deadheads picky???!! Nahhhhh........!

Oh we are the pickiest of them all. And I'm a venue snob as well.... I have never not gone to see dso because I don't like a venue... Well maybe welmont one time but there were other circumstances involved. But I have gone to great lengths to get to a show because I love the venue.

• Advisory Board

I have gone to great lengths to get to a show because I love the venue.

+1

Last time DSO played at Penn's Peak, it took me almost 7 hours to get there (usually takes me 2.75 hrs) because of a major traffic SNAFU... I refused to turn around, and even though I missed the first 4 songs of the first set, it was well worth it.. the show rocked, and that venue is just amazing!!

Archived