Furthur and DSO in LA on the same night, and Dylan the same month

busybeingborn

I guess when it rains it pours. Furthur is playing the Greek in LA on Oct 5 and 6 and DSO is at the El Rey on the 6th. Bummer. Maybe they could switch the DSO show to Sun, the 7th. Both the El Rey and DSO are open.

But for this old Dylan/Dead fan October is shaping up as a feast. Dylan in SF twice, in Berkeley once, and at the Hollywood and Santa Barbara bowls (SB my 60th birthday). Plus several Further shows beginning with Shoreline on Sept 30th, and several DSO as well. And all my favorite venues too: Hollywood and SB Bowls, LA and Berkeley Greek theaters, Bill Graham Civic, Shoreline and best of all the Fillmore. LA's El Rey ain't bad either, nice small ballroom with general admission and lots of dancing room.

Maybe I'll hit them all, get seriously energized for my sixties. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah...it would be great to play El Rey on Sunday, 10-7. Not sure why both DSO and Furthur would be playing the same city on the same night...my wife and I were just discussing the other day which one I would go see if it ever came to it. Thought long and hard and came to the conclusion that I can't miss Phil and Bobby. Can't imagine not going to see DSO at the El Rey (or anywhere I can drive to), but Furthur would probably be the only reason... :-(

• Advisory Board

Well my opinion would be to see DSO... that's a no-brainer to me...

to each their own tho...

COURSE.... Go see Furthur on the 5th and DSO on the 6th... if I were torn between chosing the two, you could have the best of both worlds... One night of Furthur and one night of DSO...

• Forum MVP

Lost the interest to go into a coliseum or huge entity for music a long time ago. Started back in 1990 with the loss of Brent and the discovery that great musicians can be found at local bars and countrysides. Ummmm, Hunter, Emmylou, JJ Cale, Lanois, BCE, Lucinda, even caught a Dylan show at Bogarts in 2000, (which ultimately ruined seeing him in big, cavernous sites). Still enjoyed going to the Wiltern and Warfield for JG. It seems as though the solution is real with Further one night and DSO the other if the Desire is there for live music, no matter what the circumstances. Can't seem to get "I Never See You" (from the Rock Columbia album) out of my head. Hunter nailed a whole bunch of the gathering experience in that grouping of words

Hmmm...spoke to a buddy last night and he suggested Furthur Friday and DSO Sarturday. As I've already got tickets to both nights, I'm leaning toward Furthur both night...but I KNOW I will love the DSO show while Furthur is hit or miss. I guess it is an iteresting topic...which one would you go see on any given night? I feel like I must go to Furthur almost out of a sense of obligation (as silly as that sounds). Who knows how many times they will come around...and the guys in that and have brought me so much joy over the years...but is that a reason to go to a potentially (probably) less-enjoyable show? Not really. Just kind of a bummer that the two groups I really would make the efforet to go and see (one comes once a year, the other, twice) and they both are in the same town (less than 5 miles apart) the same night...we'll see.

• Forum MVP

We've had this discussion before and a lot of us did stay at Jeff's first Gratefulfest instead of leaving for Furthur. THAT was a no brainer for those of us that stayed.

Its not about loyalty. Its not even about the venue comparison. What it is about is what we were talking about with Improvisational music.... DSO has it. Furthur is "controlled" on far too many levels (band doesn't pick set, this is Phil's band and he steers in musically) from fewer people than I would prefer. I feel DSO is actually a band with a group effort towards greatness whereas Furthur is just another band in a long chain of bands that the members of the Dead have kept going with and this IS GREAT because you get to hear each guys take on the music now,

but give me some good ol' grateful dead EVERY day of the week.

at the Ashekenaz here in Berkeley last night I spent a good deal of time talking about DSO and how they "do it for me" as opposed to other acts. also was plugging David Nelson Band, as they are my fave west coast act- its in the Improv.

when you talk loudly and proudly about DSO on the west coast you used to get REALLY freaky looks but you know, now its pretty damn friendly since Rob B came and played with Phil.

It's love again. maybe it never left and was just hidden. you don't ever know.

we might come to LA that weekend just to have the choice laid before us to choose in the moment. but we ALL know where mango and I would be

cause i'd rather be with YOU, dear DSO family and band.

they played like a road last night and I thought of penns landing and REALLY missed you guys.

when you get confused.......

• Forum MVP

I will preface this by saying that I really like Furthur and try to see them whenever I get the chance. Their setlists intrigue me sometimes. It is also nice to see Phill and Bobby up there still doing their thing (pretty damn well I might add) even if it feels like they keep JK on a shorter leash than his talent should really dictate.

While this statement may seem like a gross over-simplification to some, it rings true for me: Furthur = GD Lite. I cannot characterize DSO as succinctly. Over the last year especially, DSO is a hard-chargin, punch you in the mouth, dizzyingly beautiful, captivating, filthy-nasty, face-melting, good ole, rock-n-roll band. They are the embodiment of what this music needs to be for me. Me.

If it were me I would take the route that lets me see DSO even if catching Furthur would be ten times easier. Just sayin.

While this statement may seem like a gross over-simplification to some, it rings true for me: Furthur = GD Lite. I cannot characterize DSO as succinctly. Over the last year especially, DSO is a hard-chargin, punch you in the mouth, dizzyingly beautiful, captivating, filthy-nasty, face-melting, good ole, rock-n-roll band. They are the embodiment of what this music needs to be for me. Me.

If it were me I would take the route that lets me see DSO even if catching Furthur would be ten times easier. Just sayin.

So True

All-

I agree that I would more-than-likely derive significantly more enjoyment from the music at DSO that night...just can't really imagine not seeing Phil and Bobby...but I must say that I am leaning that way...especially since one buddy is definitely going to DSO and another is going to see Black Keys at Staples Center that night. Anybody need a Saturday night Furthur ticket or want to trade for a Sunday at Santa Barbara?

• Forum MVP

The Furhtur tickets went on sale months ago. I just wonder why DSO would schedule in the same city on the same night. Are they looking for a showdown???

REALLY?!? Weak sauce.

• Forum MVP

Whos Furhtur?

and wise man once added, "and why are they following DSO?"

know its a lil below the belt but as it's almost Jubilee time and i'm having gratefulfest nostalgia I figured what the hay, lets lay the bales out to dry :)

i have seen furthur about 30 times and love them there are just some things that make me laugh and that bumper sticker was so classic ;)

and DSO announced those dates before Furthur I am relatively sure as Furthur typically announces one tour previous and DSO does several previous for much more advanced warning but I could be wrong

Guest crazy digits

The Furhtur tickets went on sale months ago. I just wonder why DSO would schedule in the same city on the same night. Are they looking for a showdown???

no, actually they're looking for a run around in run down

What I like about furthur...the dancers....and some of you know what I'm talking about....other than that, not that much...it could be really great but they choose to do the rat dog, phil and friends mix of forget where they are in a song, instruct JK to not sound like Jerry and on and on and on...

Last summer, I, like several other folks on here, was presented with the opportunity to see either Furthur in Philly, or DSO in AC on 7/23. I bypassed the Mann, headed straight to AC, and never looked back. Super-fun night filled with good people, great dancing and an ass kicking performance by the best band out there (imo)!!!

Guest crazy digits

Last summer, I, like several other folks on here, was presented with the opportunity to see either Furthur in Philly, or DSO in AC on 7/23. I bypassed the Mann, headed straight to AC, and never looked back. Super-fun night filled with good people, great dancing and an ass kicking performance by the best band out there (imo)!!!

me too......that show was a 3 shirter....back in the left hand corner, rockin it.

and wise man once added, "and why are they following DSO?"

and DSO announced those dates before Furthur I am relatively sure as Furthur typically announces one tour previous and DSO does several previous for much more advanced warning but I could be wrong

Actually, I think Furthur did announce first...and then I thought DSO was originally announced at El Rey on a different night (I seem to remember feeling relieved that they were not on the same night originally?). I will probably end up doing Greek Friday, DSO Saturday, and Santa Barbara on Sunday...I just find it ironic/silly that that they are playing less than 5 miles away from what is probably the one band in the entire world that you would not want to cross paths with. It can only hurt your own ticket sales. I know they come here every April and every October, I'm just surprised/miffed that they couldn't have scheduled their tour a little bit differently and avoided this. Doesn't seem like a good business move, or frankly, very fan-friendly. Oh well... :dsorocks:

Guest Rob Eaton

For the record we had our tour book with contracts signed well before Furthur announced. Even if we had not announced to the public. We actually went back to the El Rey and told them and their response was "we are cool with it". We couldn't change a whole tour because of this one show. We figured we'd take our lumps if that's what it comes to. I will say that because of the show on the same night we've planned something very special for the folks that do choose to come see us in LA. There will be a DSO first at this show!

Archived