Furthur and DSO in LA on the same night, and Dylan the same month

busybeingborn

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty soon DSO will be: "the only game in town". You will no longer have to agonize over "the choice".

I for one have never had to make a choice!

DSO forever

I hope I never see the day I only have one choice because those wizards won't stop playing til they're dead. Might not be furthur but it will be something and I'll be bowing down as long as I can.

GD forever

And thank you Dark Star Orchestra for doing what you do

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

For the public record forever and ever and EVER:

Thank you Grateful Dead for doing what you did. Thank you every fan that made it what it is.

THANK YOU UNIVERSE for ending me last time before it ended and bringing me right back to get it while it is growing again. I promise I will not let it fade away. I promise I will not give even one more drop of sweat to those who seek to go furthur on their own. I will support with my heart, energy, time and money only those musicians who usher in the grateful life through the Dead itself, not those that are content to just keep dragging old bones out on display for personal benefit and creepy group mind control experiements in gloom.

THANK YOU DSO (Johnny K, Furthur sucks, it might be "the boys" but they aren't "boys" anymore they are bitter old men that used you like a damn guitar monkey and those that love what we know you are capable of will be eagerly awaiting your next step because it can't get much worse on a spiritual or musical level- after the initial shock of being "in the band" wears off-you deserve better and are worth more than what they dealt you. BUT THANK YOU FOR PLANTING DSO!)

Now that Jeff is in DSO, there is just NO COMPARISON on ANY level to what DSO is doing compared to any other act "the boys" have ever been in since.... well.......

THANK YOU for letting me be born today. Those of you that think I missed out don't even KNOW what you are missing right now not being at DSO and realizing it for what it is........... rosemary's secret stash just took over the garden!)

THIS IS A GREAT TIME to be ALIVE and I am so happy I don't have to weigh any more options.

THANK YOU DSO for making the dream come true. More than just ashes, through and through. even if it were, we'd just spin in em

• Forum MVP

I guess when it rains it pours. Furthur is playing the Greek in LA on Oct 5 and 6 and DSO is at the El Rey on the 6th. Bummer. Maybe they could switch the DSO show to Sun, the 7th. Both the El Rey and DSO are open.

But for this old Dylan/Dead fan October is shaping up as a feast. Dylan in SF twice, in Berkeley once, and at the Hollywood and Santa Barbara bowls (SB my 60th birthday). Plus several Further shows beginning with Shoreline on Sept 30th, and several DSO as well. And all my favorite venues too: Hollywood and SB Bowls, LA and Berkeley Greek theaters, Bill Graham Civic, Shoreline and best of all the Fillmore. LA's El Rey ain't bad either, nice small ballroom with general admission and lots of dancing room.

Maybe I'll hit them all, get seriously energized for my sixties. ;)

What's the problem of the three I would pick DSO. Last time I saw Furthur, I was thinking I spent this much to hear this, and I had the same thoughts about about Dylan's they'll still come even if I growl instead sing.

• Forum MVP

Furthur is in Vegas tomorrow (Thursday Oct. 4th) ....

cost is $50 plus fees....

If I don't find a scalper with a ticket for $30 or under..... well this teacher is not going ....

DSO is in Vegas the next night (Friday Oct. 5th)....

cost is $25 plus fees .... I shall attend this show...

• Forum MVP

2 for the price of 1 would be a snag and well worth it (Furthur is playing rather well right now--I caught the Oregon shows)

But I generally figure at face value the ratio for ticket prices for DSO vs. Furthur is dang near 3 shows for the price of 1 when the inconvenience fees are added in. And well then there's the quality and consistency of the music...pretty clear where the best value is...!

Have fun down there, whatever you end up paying!!

• Forum MVP

off the old communist russia joke about capitalism: "what did Furthur do for me in one show that DSO couldn't do in 50+?" make me a STARhead.

ha. getting the rental and leaving for vegas today. seriously, that shoreline furthur show was the worst show I have ever seen and all the people pretending it was GOOD from band to fans was sickening to the soul......

THEY MADE ME NEEEEEED DSO RIGHT AWAY so we are not hesitating, see you Vegas-Reno!

• Forum MVP
seriously, that shoreline furthur show was the worst show I have ever seen and all the people pretending it was GOOD from band to fans was sickening to the soul......

I'm far from a big Furthur guy (in fact I turned down a sect 102 row R seat at face value to stay home) but I'm pretty confident the folks who said they liked it actually did - i.e. they weren't "pretending". And in defense of said folks, there was no soul crushing Weir led Garcia/Hunter ballad!

• Forum MVP

I'm far from a big Furthur guy (in fact I turned down a sect 102 row R seat at face value to stay home) but I'm pretty confident the folks who said they liked it actually did - i.e. they weren't "pretending". And in defense of said folks, there was no soul crushing Weir led Garcia/Hunter ballad!

Now i'm an asshole and way over-opinionated but I really can't understand how anyone with a clean set of ears could have thought that show to be of quality. I went in with an open mind and ready to have fun and left, early, disgusted at the state of the music. Looking around most people just looked confused. Those who were dancing looked as though they were trying to make up for the lack of music with maniacal spinning and flailing. Every transition between songs was garbage- total garbage. I'm sorry but if you don't notice Phil orchestrating the changes throughout the show(with his little pedal) then you aren't paying attention. In fact, I don't think many people pay attention at all. But that's fine- I can't change them, or you, or anyone, but I can go where I feel like the musicians play with Love, in the fashion of the Good Ol Grateful Dead. I doesn't matter who is playing the music, it's how they play-Amen!

• Forum MVP

There was some highlights...at one point during the show I was lying on my back and some birds flew over and the lights reflected gold on their bottoms and it looked cool against the stars and moon- oh and the moon was real nice too. Actually, It was a beautiful night in many other ways. I disagree though that we shouldn't say anything...speak up.

• Forum MVP

I'm with Mango. Call it like you see it, presuming you have the cogency to back yourself up.

And “over opinionated asshole” beats “deferral of opinion wussy” most every time, at least in my book. Hey, I resemble the remark!

Although I still don’t know why anyone who doesn’t like Furthur would “pretend” otherwise, unless perhaps they just can’t let go of the “scene”…

• Forum MVP

I considered writing a full review of why I felt the way I did but I decided not to put forth the effort and instead focus my words on the epic music I am about to see tonight and the rest of this month!

I think you are on to something with the "scene" aspect I mean people pretend to live every day but sure don't seem alive.... but this is NOTHING new it sounds to me, I just found more reason to be at home where I am at home :)

Guest crazy digits

if people like furthur, be happy for them..no time to hate

apparently a lot of people like them because they have sold out redrocks 2 years in a row...actually, not really sure if they sold out but think they did?

• Forum MVP
I think you are on to something with the "scene" aspect.... but this is NOTHING new it sounds to me...

This is very true. Many folks couldn't concede that the Grateful Dead, collectively, were a shell of themselves during their last couple years. The scene was still the same (the last summer tour not withstanding) and they woudn't/coudn't let go of it.

Archived