Black Mountain 8-4-12

gr8fulpair

e. I know Jeff and Barraco are the stars of the band. I'm hear to help build a foundation for their greatness. I actually thought I played good on night 2 of Pisgah. Still don't know why I get singled out when there were much more egregious errors on that particular night. I'll let it go.... Last post...... Peace

My opinion is you and Rob B. are the soul of the band that will bring me back. I never question your approach to the tunes...I can be a bit harsh when it comes to some interpretations of Dead music...but you got my vote...I LOVE BOB WEIR...and you do do his music justice...I cant say that for any others...keep on keepin on.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I have a few breif remarks. I tried to stay away from this, but like Herdy, I find myself incapable. I have not chosen to read all the responses before my post, but I am familiar with the thread and the directions and tangents that took place.

1. Review is defined as a critical article or report, as in a periodical, on a book, play, recital, or the like; critique; evaluation (dictionary.com). I have always understood the word critical to be objective and include both positive and negative aspects. I also find reviews can be just statements. On an Internet forum if you find one's review to be unclear. You may want to ask for clarification before jumping down their throat. I do not think any harm was meant by pointing out the lyric mishap.

2. I think Eaton overreacted and proved to be overly sensitive in this matter. That is my opinion and shouldn't really matter. The man is a tremendous musician and incredible performer. All of us in our lives experience moments of insecurity. I hope Rob knows that the poster of the comment that sparked this thread was at every show on this short run and has seen over 25 DSO shows since June. DSO is by far her favorite touring act today and she has nothing but admiration and respect for the performances performed by DSO. However, my belief that Eaton overreacted doesn't mean we shouldn't show kindness and respect his feelings. Words of encouragement may be needed. We all know the GD catalogue that DSO performs is tremendous in scope and variety. I, myself, could never remember all those words. Forget about the music. To be human is to error.

3. One has the right in my opinion to share their thoughts whenever they see fit. The banter is sometime even good when it goes back forth. It gives life to the boards IMO. However, I think some of the posts in this thread the poster should have kept their mouth shut. Just because you can do something or have the right to do something doesn't mean you should. Your words effect the way other people can exercise their right to express their opinion. For instance, calling someone pathetic for mentioning a mistake at a show they attended may make people in the future scared to share their true thoughts and feelings about a show. We all have feelings and no one likes to be called names. I hope this thread doesn't prevent people from sharing their thoughts in the future.

4. Let's try to keep these threads as much about the music and show experience as possible. Personal attacks on other posters and reading to much into peoples statements without asking for clarification takes away from the thread developing a clear picture of the show. For example, I was at this show and I have now made a long post that has very little to nothing to do with the music. I will post again later about my black mountain experience. Great fun. I highly reccomend catching DSO their if they play those gigs again.

5. DSO still rocks

I find the dialogue on this board pretty interesting. Here we have thread that seemed to bring up much insecurities around a missed lyric and a band member who seems quite distraught, which in my opinion is barely worth even a discussion as the Dead used to drop lyrics all the time. Then in another thread, we have a discussion around whether its OK to call DSO a cover band or not and a fan who was distraught over another person's use of terminology to describe the band. In terms of music, why does any of it matter? Seems like many insecurities on both sides of the stage. Has everyone missed the point? Is this a competition between band members and between fans opinions of bands playing dead music or the attempt to keep the music and spirit of the grateful dead alive? At the very heart of the music of the Grateful Dead is the absence of Ego. Humility, acceptance, and gratitude seem to be in order. The moment self-righteousness appears, the spirit of the Grateful Dead dissipates. The wheel is turning.

All I can say is that some of the shows I've been to that some mishap happened (or many) which would include a power outage, Rob E. guitar string breaking, Jeff's mic going out or guitar string breaking, Rob B. piano dying, etc. end up becoming my favorite shows cause I really can hear the differences in the band not being "whole" and really miss that special "wholeness". One show in my head and been one of my favorites this year is Burlington night one. Damn, love that show and really found it interesting and totally missed that part of the band that was missing for a bit. Plus you guys come back with a vengeance without missing a beat when anything happens. And now I'm even more impressed with Rob E. being self taught and all....seriously amazing playing, dude. You all rock and definitely please keep showing your sensitivities and normal human reactions.... it's what keeps it real.

Peace,

Kris

• Forum MVP

if a person wants to remember what went wrong, what didn't happen and that they didn't have a great show, that is fine. if a person wants to share those feelings with others they should be aware that negativity spreads like wild fire. when we share negative thoughts and feelings (saying a line was missed is one thing, saying it messed up the show is negative) we must expect those feelings and thoughts to come back 10 fold. that's just how life works.

keep it light, keep it positive, and we all get through life a little happier, which is what this music is about. keep it CRITICAL and SERIOUS and life sucks.... something about short brutish and cruel and screw that!

ALL YOU NEED

Archived