Black Mountain 8-4-12

gr8fulpair

Guest Rob Eaton

Well I can only say that being singled out on such so a small mistake in the context of praising everyone else gets old after a while. We rise and fall as a band and if we suck we suck together and if we are great we are great together. Making a point to let others know I missed a 10 sec section of El Paso while saying the show wasn't as good as the night before was an attempt to make me personally look lesser then the rest. I can't remember a post from Jen that ever said anything but praise for band members even if the show was not up to par. Have never understood why Im the punching bag. As a friend almost posted but told him not to post was I'm always blamed for things. Some with merit some without but when a review is posted and all are praised for a great show and I'm called out for a small line mishap in El Paso it certainly makes you wonder the motivation. We are a group so please tell us when we suck as a band because it's healthy and helps us get better but calling out one has it's own agenda. Because in reality we all make mistakes every day and always will. We are still Dead Heads and human beings and sometimes personal jabs do hurt.... It means I'm still alive..... Till my next mishap

Rob

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest crazy digits

personally, I am pretty sure she wasnt taking a jab at you buddy...shes not like that...she was giving a jen review and she prolly wishes she hadnt said that now....no worries mate...lets move on and open up the next ten shows with el paso...dont ask bobby to sing el paso...the nokia thing will haunt him for years, actually he has prolly long forgotten that night.

• Forum MVP

on one level this is silly cause its true what the say but the shine is what im in it for anyway so its easy to feel that missed lines are just some grandma's gold that thank goodness this band keeps polished perhaps better than she did.

I got called out for being negative by ppl in person and on these forums since I staryed seeing more shows and hence running my sweet and sometimes sour mouth and fingers and it did a world of good for my head to know that we are that close as a family that we can dance near people we don't like or point out who missed a line and at the end of the night it still took each and every one of us, even those not present to create this highly functionally dysfunctional family the reality that makes our lives so great.

I sincerely appreciate that Rob E felt comfortable enough w us all to express his feelings about missing lines and it would be silly to intrperet his posts as so directly against jen and realize that maybe as dead heads we get off on the bobby guy fucking up cause it makes us feel smart though we all know its this lil ego that makes us forget to listen to the music play.

so there.

my goodness you guys are getting way out there...my advise is to have another beer & enjoy...we are just FANS you know...I for one am just thrilled that the band exists & is so damn good; what a treat for us all night after night after night!

PS: thanks guys for coming thru my beautiful home state of NC, hope you enjoy as much as we like having you...see you next time thru...thanks again for making sure the music never stops...

• Forum MVP

When it comes down to it the reviews section is for remarking on the 'highlights' of the show....and we're all together to share how great this music is....so let's all be together, forever and ever....this is the promised land....transmission out :dsorocks:

I was only able to catch the two nights in black mountain, north carolina. I think someone who has the audacity to call out any band member for such a minute mishap is pathetic. I don't ever post but this I found to be ridiculous on many levels. I can see why Eaton posted. The fact we are talking about El Paso is mind blowing. I actually thought it rocked. Enough said and it was a great two nights. Can't wait to see the band again soon.

recent lurker/long time fan here.This is much ado about nothing. I interpreted TerrapinJen's post as a statement regarding a missed lyric and not any personal attack. She felt the show the night before was stronger for a number of reasons and she actually stated that this show was solid. A couple of members stated about focusing on the positive, yet Mangosteen, you criticized another band in making your point and Rob Eaton, you did not seem to take into account the other very positive reviews she has written. If you all want this board to focus on the positive, then criticizing someone for writing an honest review does not seem to correlate. I disagree that a place for reviews is only to mention "highlights" of a show. What is the point of a review then if it cannot be honest? No one in this discussion is claiming to be perfect, but if you all want perfect reviews, you better be prepared to play perfect. Is that true to GD music? No one should get hung up on a missed lyric OR a statement about a missed lyric. As Supplicated Velvet Thunder alluded to, mistakes make a show real. Jerry was real. He fucked up countless times. We still love him, but I'll be damned if people didn't mention his mistakes. Get over it people. Have fun. And most importantly, listen to Jerry every day. NFA.

Guest Rob Eaton

I guess Im sensitive. I've been accused from a band member of ruining gigs before and it's been upsetting and to be honest I don't really understand why. I play from the heart. As a self taught musician I'm well behind the others in the band musically. I can't speak the musical language others can which is frustrating to me. In reality I don't know what I'm doing while playing most of the time. I play by feel and what sounds good to me. Ask me what a d-dim chord is and I have no idea. To some it's self deprecating but in reality it's a by product of teaching myself by ear. This alone puts me at a disadvantage and self conscience of my ability to keep up with the schooled. I've never thought of myself as a musician but rather a lover of music. I earned three Grammy awards being on the opposite side of the glass recording and producing records and making them sound good. I'm proud of that. It's something most don't accomplish in this world. I play in DSO because I'm a Dead Head. it's shaped the entire direction of my life. As a college dropout after one year I've lived on my ability to understand sound. Never in my wildest dreams did I think of myself as a musician, I go out and play every night. I try sometimes to go for something different and at times I fall flat on my face. Sometimes it's just brain farts. The point is my hearts in the right place. I know Jeff and Barraco are the stars of the band. I'm hear to help build a foundation for their greatness. I actually thought I played good on night 2 of Pisgah. Still don't know why I get singled out when there were much more egregious errors on that particular night. I'll let it go.... Last post...... Peace

• Forum MVP

Musical education? Do I sense musical elitism being felt on some levels in THIS MUSIC? Ha. Sounds like an age old who's dick is bigger contest to me and we all know by now (I would hope) that it's what you do with it not what you got that counts. Seriously, the comment from Jenna was not necessary and neither was her comment in the penn's landing review but she is damn well entitled to her own opinion of when a show doesn't do it for her or when she thinks someone is being a downer. we're ALL CONFUSED. what's to lose!? she would be the first to admit that!

Eaton, do you not realize that it is hard for people to get close to you either personally or on a musical level because you are so fucking amazing?!?! Every dude in the room secretly wishes they WERE YOU and every girl in the room fantasizes about you. YOU ARE THE ONE PLAYING IN THE BAND, man, cause you are THE DEADHEAD of DSO and we all know that without your life deadication we would not have DSO the way we have it now.... which is how I like it.

So, thank you for sharing your insecurities with us, I think it helps us all look inside and see that man is just a man indeed. Besides, it's the drummers that get ignored! ;P

I love you guys so much, band and fans, and can't wait to spend a weekend with you in the same place.

I know Jeff and Barraco are the stars of the band. I'm hear to help build a foundation for their greatness.

No disrespect to them, or any other band members, but I actually think you are the star of this band. I need all the parts but I always try to find a spot right in front of your sound. My friend Chris and I spent the 2 hour drive from Kalamazoo after the show talking about how amazing your guitar playing is.

• Forum MVP

Thanks for sharing that, Rob. It is inspiring to me as I am a young musician(kinda hard to really call myself that yet..) who has been teaching himself the piano for the last couple of years. Aside from learning some chords and a few scales it's all been by ear for me. It's frustrating at times and occasionally I wish someone would just show me some magic trick that will change it all LOL...but seriously you guys(and gal) are my musical hero's and please don't ever let some pointless little comment as such bring you down. I don't know about Mattson and Barraco being the stars of the band....what about LISA MACKEY!!??

-Reckoning- the point i was trying to make is that their are dead bands who make frequent enough mistakes that it actually pulls you out of the zone and strongly effects the music in a negative way. I've seen DSO over 200 times and I don't think that this has ever been the case.

I am incapable of knowing who is musically the leader or leaders of the band. Is it possible that some other current band member can perform and improvise the Weir role/part in the orchestra as well as Eaton? I doubt that. What I do know is that energically and vibe-wise all band members are EQUAL parts. It takes courage for what you have shared in this thread and is yet another reason why I love you and the band. Thanks Rob for you all do.

I am incapable of knowing who is musically the leader or leaders of the band. Is it possible that some other current band member can perform and improvise the Weir role/part in the orchestra as well as Eaton? I doubt that. What I do know is that energically and vibe-wise all band members are EQUAL parts. It takes courage for what you have shared in this thread and is yet another reason why I love you and the band. Thanks Rob for you all do.

I agree. Each person in the band has a unique role that contributes to the overall sound and vibe. I think each member of DSO is vital to the band. Also, I'm pretty sure it is impossible for DSO to play a show that is less than stellar. I am constantly amazed by the professionalism and talent of this band. Out of all my favorite bands, DSO is the ONLY one that has never let me down. That is pretty impressive considering they tour more than almost any other jam band out there.

I agree. Each person in the band has a unique role that contributes to the overall sound and vibe. I think each member of DSO is vital to the band. Also, I'm pretty sure it is impossible for DSO to play a show that is less than stellar. I am constantly amazed by the professionalism and talent of this band. Out of all my favorite bands, DSO is the ONLY one that has never let me down. That is pretty impressive considering they tour more than almost any other jam band out there.

To begin with, first time poster, and first year DSO fan. I can't speak to the relative quality of Night two at Pisgah vs hundreds of other shows, but I have been a musician and lover of live music all my 50 years and the show that I saw in Black Mountain Saturday night was totally fucking first rate. I did in fact focus a great deal of my attention on Rob Saturday night (I'm a guitarist, of the play by ear variety for 36 years, so I tend to study guitarists) and I was blown away by his stage presence, energy, and expressiveness. I doubt that many of you can relate, but I just never really got the Dead, til my Deadhead fiance moved out from the left coast, and I took her to see DSO at the Fillmore here in Charlotte this February. DSO unlocked the music of the Dead for me, and I just cannot speak enough praise on the effort AND the results that they attain. Rob, you RULE...and so does the rest of the band. Who else was blown away by Lisa's Woman Enough?

Well I can only say that being singled out on such so a small mistake in the context of praising everyone else gets old after a while. We rise and fall as a band and if we suck we suck together and if we are great we are great together. Making a point to let others know I missed a 10 sec section of El Paso while saying the show wasn't as good as the night before was an attempt to make me personally look lesser then the rest. I can't remember a post from Jen that ever said anything but praise for band members even if the show was not up to par. Have never understood why Im the punching bag. As a friend almost posted but told him not to post was I'm always blamed for things. Some with merit some without but when a review is posted and all are praised for a great show and I'm called out for a small line mishap in El Paso it certainly makes you wonder the motivation. We are a group so please tell us when we suck as a band because it's healthy and helps us get better but calling out one has it's own agenda. Because in reality we all make mistakes every day and always will. We are still Dead Heads and human beings and sometimes personal jabs do hurt.... It means I'm still alive..... Till my next mishap

Rob

Once upon a time way back when I had a teacher/guru who laid this gem at my doorstep...She said..."It is equally deleterious to take offense as it is to being offensive"

• Forum MVP

I appreciate your honest humility in your last post, Eaton. I cannot even imagine what it would be like to put out your art night after night in such a public manner. Especially to a crowd of deadheads--who can be rather fussy about musical details at times! Man, there is so much more praise and appreciation for the band and each of its members than anything else around here, that I would hope that it sinks in deep, even when the natural human insecurities show up. I don't know how many times it has been said, "Man, Eaton is at the top of his game right now!" or "Eaton is absolutely on fire". Strangely enough, I think some of your experience perhaps even parellels some of Mr. Weir's challenges when he was younger and feeling in the shadow of Jerry as he maybe faced some musical insecurities through all that. And on another tangent, like Jerry had said, what's going on in the performer's head (aw, this is sounding crappy!) is irrelevant to what's actually coming through musically especially when the overwhelming consensus among the listeners is that it was absolutely ripping!

Anyway, its kind of fascinating for us to hear what it's like for you, Rob, but jeez, lighten up on yourself bro! Not only is the music consistently over the top both as a whole band, as well as your individual role, but the heart and soul you put into it comes through very clearly. Even with all the hard work, sacrifice, and exhaustion that it takes, you are living a musical dream life!

Rock on,,,,

:)

i always thought it was part of the charm of the dead, and by extension, dso, that this was not some slick overproduced rock show, but more a collection of craftsmen doing their craft. "not the best, but the only"etc, etc. even a master carpenter bands a nail once and again. but i think the bigger point is that if youre seeing a band that can pull off any of one of what, 500 songs, a line or a note might get dropped, and if thats what youre taking away from the show you might be happier waiting for the next rush tour or some similar collection of robots. i think it made the dead, and makes dso that much more fun to be a part of, knowing that these guys are just like me, who flubs a line here and there.

Interesting thread. I was surprised to hear Rob's insecurities. I think that he is a fantastic player. Considering that Weir is such a unique and innovative guitarist, to be able to to capture his sound and approach so fully, while at the same time somehow fresh and non-strictly imitative, is really impressive. I must say that to be able to do this without having the language of what particular chords are, is rather amazing. But it speaks to a special kind of musical intelligence. Mr. Eaton figures out the right approach, signature guitar phrasings (of Weir) and highly effective and expressive improvisational participation in a huge repertoire of pieces, including some very challenging material. Its fantastic, and I always have found him one of the stars of the show.

Wow, I have thoroughly enjoyed reading these post. Especially yours Rob Eaton. Jeff and Barraco are extremely talented musicians, but they are NOT the only 2 stars of this band. Every member is a star and has their own role. A group with a front man like you Rob, that has the attitude and drive to want to be a foundation for the other band members talents to shine is a BEAUTIFUL thing.

Brother let go of the weight of the missed El Paso line comment. Save your strength for the next venue. I look forward to seeing everyone at the Jubilee

P.S. Thank you Jen for the honest review of the Pisgah show. I've learned a lot about the band as a result of your post. I joined the Forum after Pisgah and I am now hooked :)

• Advisory Board

If you all want this board to focus on the positive, then criticizing someone for writing an honest review does not seem to correlate. I disagree that a place for reviews is only to mention "highlights" of a show. What is the point of a review then if it cannot be honest?

I have been trying so hard to hold back on posting on this topic, but this has gotten out of hand a bit... As Reckoning stated, this part of this board is for REVIEWS of the show... I hate to tell you, but if all you want is rainbows and hearts, then it wouldn't be an honest review... Sure, the shows are always 100% off the hook, and yes, mistakes DO happen... Hell, Weir couldn't even remember the lyrics to El Paso half the time, or even worse, Truckin... which if you've played and sung that tune for 30 years and can't remember the lyrics, then Jesus H. Christ.. My point is that NO ONE on here should be afraid to post a review! Jenna LOVES this band, and I know for sure she wasn't personally attacking you, Rob..

Does anyone in the band write to the journalists who write a bad line, or comment about the way the music was preformed? Calling them out for their honest review? I highly doubt it... We are FANS here... As Deadheads, we are extremely opinionated.. I don't understand why some people get so upset over us posting from the heart, and expressing ourselves and opinions.. So what... a line in El Paso was flubbed.. DEFINATLY was NOT the first time it happened, and I'm sure it won't be the last.. I've been following DSO since 2000, and out of 320+ shows I've been to, I'd say 20% of the shows had an error or two in any number of the tunes, vocally... Atleast from what *I* noticed... Who cares? It's what makes it great in my opinion.. Everyone needs to lighten up a wee bit......

This is a section for reviews for us fans.. I think we're allowed to express our experiences... No one was trying to criticize any band member on their playing, it was just a statement... In my humble opinon, it wasn't even a negative statement... it was just a statement...

Now, every get back on track... This is an order from General Herdy... Fall in, line up, and dance your fucking hearts out to some good ol' Grateful Dead... flubbed lines and all..

:herdy:

• Advisory Board

We all write our own story....how do you want it to go?

Sure, we are allowed to say whatever we want about the show, and i'm allowed to say whatever I want back :lol: that's the beauty of it

Perfectly said :)

Archived