A place for thanks and show comments

jljbirdq

First and foremost, THANK YOU DSO and TIM & STAFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Second, THANK you all those in attendance!

Third, a special thanks to the Ragbirds for getting things going with the VIP stage! Without their brave can do attitude I am not sure when the VIP stage would have become the New Jubilee stage. Special moments were a plenty and those in VIP sure didn't have to do much to enjoy the unplanned for benefits of their tickets!

What and amazing festival, even with many, many challenges from Mother Nature. Let it be known that this years inaugural Jubilee was a success and can only get better!

To Rob E., Jeff, Dino, Rob K., Lisa, Kevin, Rob B. and Tim, THANK YOU again and see you next year!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First of all - the positives:

The Band - a big ol thanks for an awesome weekend of music. You guys really rocked it out and had a great time - all things considered!

Keller - always a ton of fun.

Vendors - both food and merchandise - 5 Stars

Now the Negatives:

• I arrived at 2:00 PM Saturday afternoon and handed over $100 x 2 for what I thought was going to be a stellar weekend groovin to some of my favorite bands. What should have been taking place though as I was handing over (2) $100 bills to the "cash man" (who didn't think twice about blowing smoke into my vehicle as he was putting our writsbands - thanks but i quit 9 years ago) was this conversation - "hey we appreciate your cash but I need to tell you that the Main stage was basically washed away and because of this - some of the bands won't be perfroming". DSO is good - but my decision to come this weekend was based upon seeing Mickey and Billy.
  • Camping next to the road? Really?
  • And as long as I'm bitchin - is it really necessary to keep the lights and generators running in the "campground" all night long?
  • Port a Johns.....ummmm...just so you know they aren't connected to a sewer line and need to be emptied once in a while

Definately a memorable weekend - but no way in hell could you pay me a $100 to come back to that place....rookieness written all over it. When I come to a festival I expect good music, good vibes, good folks and good accomodations. Remove anyone of these items and you have a major disaster taking place.

Bring the festy back to NL next year... Just my .02

Cooz...

• Advisory Board

Definately a memorable weekend - but no way in hell could you pay me a $100 to come back to that place....rookieness written all over it. When I come to a festival I expect good music, good vibes, good folks and good accomodations. Remove anyone of these items and you have a major disaster taking place.

Cooz...

Ummm ... where were you all weekend??? The music ROCKED, the vibe was AWESOME , especally since Mother Nature gave us an ass beating, I never ran into ANYONE who was bitching and complaining, and everyone I met was super nice! I made alot of new friends that weekend, and I had the time of my life...everyone who I talked to, said they LOVED the festy, and can't wait for next year...

As far as the Port-O-Potties, what do you expect? I thought they weren't that bad... The Ledges has always been much worse then that place as far as the toilets are concerned.. You know, the festy was SO CLOSE to being shut down since mother nature gave us that ass beating, so I'm grateful for the KICK ASS CREW who pulled magic out of their hats and got the ball rolling so all of us who drove long ways to get there would be able to stay and enjoy the music...

Not trying to argue with you at all, but this is the first negative comment that I've heard about that festy all weekend... Like I said, everyone I met, went with, bumped into, or whatever all said that The Jubilee was one of the best festivals they have ever been to...

Just my .02

• Forum MVP

OK so the portable toilets were probably older than the music we all gathered to see and that was gross because almost 50 years of people dumping their waste in the same toilets is gonna leave an unmistakable rankness....

HOWEVER, they did keep them cleaner than at most festies. We even got pulled over and searched by Ohio's finest and we pretty much laughed through it and enjoyed watching the cop go thru dirty underwear. I told him to think positive thoughts when he started opening my Tarot bag and he told me if i spoke again he was gonna put me in his car. FUNNY. We were all just doing our jobs.

Enough potty talk. This was the best festival I have ever been to BECAUSE of all the odd little first festie and weather issues. I met a lot of people saying the same thing. Usually rain like that (especially as a vendor) nearly ruins the weekend but instead it inspired everyone to exist at their highest levels of being and it was marvelous to behold. Sure it was a bummer that I didn't get to see Mickey Hart Band, but whatever, two and 3/4 DSO shows plus every magic moment was worth it 10 times over.

I wasn't attached to the Ledge like others, only having been to Jeff's first, and I am honestly SO GLAD it is not there anymore. NLQP was cool that it had water and woods on site to play in BUT the ATTITUDES of the people there SUCKED. AT LEAST HALF of those that go to NLQP for Gratefulfest do not even LISTEN to the Grateful Dead and it showed. At LEGEND VALLEY you couldn't find anyone that wasn't just a deadhead but was there to SEE DARK STAR ORCHESTRA. Star head paradise.

I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO A PLACE THAT I FELT MORE AT HOME AND NORMAL. No one really even much danced at the other shows, I mean, they did, it was all GREAT MUSIC, but you could TELL that people were saving it for DSO and when the played the crowd was blown away.

I will mention Chimes of Freedom here because it shows the power of this band. When they started it everyone was confused and didn't know what it was or what to do to dance to it but by the end the band had snuck into everyones mind (listen to the music play!) and Lisa reached out with her voice and grabbed our hearts and we were all flung to another universe by the end and the crowd EXPLODED with cheers. THIS is why we all gathered to see DSO. Everything else was just welcome bonus.

I will write full reviews when I get home to Cali tomorrow, we are still in a sleep deprived state from staying up from the rain. I am so grateful for the time I spent with each of you and next year we'll just let it grow!

• Forum MVP

The band and crew did an acapella 'bid you goodnight'. there we're very few of us in attendance.

the porta-potties were gross, i mean come on those doors barely even locked.

The main stage falling apart was amateur, I don't care care how much rain they were or weren't expecting.

but despite these these downers and some others, the festival was amazing. just imagine how sweet it would have been with good weather! better luck next year on that....

I had an amazing time and i'll be back.

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

First of all - the positives:

The Band - a big ol thanks for an awesome weekend of music. You guys really rocked it out and had a great time - all things considered!

Keller - always a ton of fun.

Vendors - both food and merchandise - 5 Stars

Now the Negatives:

• I arrived at 2:00 PM Saturday afternoon and handed over $100 x 2 for what I thought was going to be a stellar weekend groovin to some of my favorite bands. What should have been taking place though as I was handing over (2) $100 bills to the "cash man" (who didn't think twice about blowing smoke into my vehicle as he was putting our writsbands - thanks but i quit 9 years ago) was this conversation - "hey we appreciate your cash but I need to tell you that the Main stage was basically washed away and because of this - some of the bands won't be perfroming". DSO is good - but my decision to come this weekend was based upon seeing Mickey and Billy.
  • Camping next to the road? Really?
  • And as long as I'm bitchin - is it really necessary to keep the lights and generators running in the "campground" all night long?
  • Port a Johns.....ummmm...just so you know they aren't connected to a sewer line and need to be emptied once in a while

Cooz...

Sounds like a fun guy to critique a festival with......

what a good time...great neighbors, clean place, awesome energy in what could have been a wet, muddy bummer. personally, i really enjoyed nlqp, and wsn't expecting to have so much fun at buckeye. cant wait to go back. ok so the whole deal with the main stage was kinda bush but wtf? how bout the way the bands condensed their rigs and played on platfiorms, under tents, behind food counters. really, the only big issue in my mind was that the bands or promoters must be getting killed by the lack of bodies, and would they be willing to come back and give it another shot. i dont know if labor day weekend is the right time for this, maybe too many people back at school or with other committments. oh yeah, its aslo my anniversary, and believe me, ittook some serious dancin for me to get away ffrom the house. lets reconsider july, whattaya say

Only bad thing about the whole weekend was that the last show couldn't be finished. It's like we didn't get to say goodbye :(

First time hearing Donna the Buffalo and I was very impressed...Also enjoyed The Stringdusters

Donna was on top of their game with that set. Loved the new songs.

We just LOVED this Jubilee!! The vibe was so positive, friendly and great family feeling. So what about the weather (storms help me sleep), daytime was at least pretty good. The sound was incredible, great problem solving with the stage issues, loved how colorful the night was with the neon toys. And a huge thank you to not only DSO and the other bands, but to our hosts, Steve and Laura (I believe that their names), and thank you for a great warm welcoming from Cap. Toast and Doria at the Family campsite. Hope to have this happen again next year and everyone bring more great vibes.

Peace,

Kris and Scott

what a good time...great neighbors, clean place, awesome energy in what could have been a wet, muddy bummer. personally, i really enjoyed nlqp, and wsn't expecting to have so much fun at buckeye. cant wait to go back. ok so the whole deal with the main stage was kinda bush but wtf? how bout the way the bands condensed their rigs and played on platfiorms, under tents, behind food counters. really, the only big issue in my mind was that the bands or promoters must be getting killed by the lack of bodies, and would they be willing to come back and give it another shot. i dont know if labor day weekend is the right time for this, maybe too many people back at school or with other committments. oh yeah, its aslo my anniversary, and believe me, ittook some serious dancin for me to get away ffrom the house. lets reconsider july, whattaya say

I hear you. I kept thinking that I was having so much fun not getting shaken down coming into the stage area, not getting pummelled by the crowd that I was worried they wouldn't make enough money to try it again.

After going to All Good over and over it was so nice to go to a smaller festival but with high quality bands. I loved the bands playing down in the crowd.

Really my only let down was not being able to see Mickey Hart band well but discovering the Ragbirds made up for it.

I think being Labor Day, and also the fact some of the bands were repeats from the All Good contributed to low attendance.

Would be cool to have it in late Sept or Early Oct.

I chose to start this topic by not mentioning the downsides as by far this was a great and memorable weekend. Yes, I would agree that the port-a-johns were from another time and place and were pretty beat up. Yes, the main stage should have been build sturdier but I have to ask, would we have had a more intimate headline stage or special VIP back up stage? How many people remember Mickey Hart's Band's drum circle VIP performance as THE HIGHLIGHT of the weekend? The Ragbirds probably lost 5 pounds a piece sweating in Saturdays sun! Come on now who didn't enjoy Vince lounging in a VIP chair taking a mandolin solo (and a rest)? The Ark Band worked the VIP stage too, Wasn't it cool to see 7 Walkers, DSO, Donna, Cornmeal, ...... all downsized to a more intimate stage? The sound did not suffer......OK it was a little low early on when they were trying to figure out how to set up the VIP tent as a stage but it all got worked out.

Suggestions for next year:

Better port-a-johns

Showers! Were there really any?

A medical tent/area

Some lighting around the port-a-johns for those without flashlights

Closing off a couple of field camping spots due to their angle. There were a lot of challenged cars getting up muddy "roads".

Closer ice to the field campers

More sand (i.e. less stones) down in the dancing area. Hard on the dancers feet. Besides, did those rocks serve a purpose?

Stage appearance boards showing set times

A drinking water location for refills in the staging area

Better designated recycling locations (more recycling locations)

Improved vendor row. A few seemed off in left field.

A few more positives (besides the music):

The staff was super nice and had great can do attitudes

Ice was reasonably priced at $3

The food vendors were over all pretty good. Props to Disc O Pizza however at the best value!

The ticket prices were a great value

The bands were well selected and diverse enough

Besides the flooding at the stages and a muddy field, the site is beautiful and convenient. Nice to have a gas station nearby!!

Nice turnout.

I hope DSO made some money, or at least broke even and will do #2, with a few improvements. Live and learn!

Comments on bands later. Have to sort through a ton of pictures!

PS, to the guy with the 2 X $100 complaints, you should have arrived Friday and what were you doing as EVERY band performed?

• Forum MVP

my biggest complaint, actually, was the dance floor. they do realize that people dance at these things, right? a seemingly small thing but I and many others found it to be very annoying. as vendors we were well taken care of and we got what we thought was the best spot, on the far left towards the entrance. I imagine this will happen again next year, hopefully sometime other than labor day. i was always a fan of the july 4th weekend....

good times

DSO and crew should be thanked for what they pulled off....that said rain shutting down the main stage is bogus...maybe knowing that rain was coming a lil preparation should have been done...seems very amateur... but......getting everybody their sets in is very commendable... great weekend with great music...keller, mickey, stringdusters, and DSO were highlights for me. Thanks

• Forum MVP

I will keep this short as I had such a good time that today I feel like a truck hit me :)

Turning adversity into opportunity, or lemons to lemonade as they say, is key to long term sucess. A big thanks to all who made that happen.

For example my VIP tickets turned into the most awesome seats at any venue anywhere. Yes I missed Mickey's band but not Mickey and Mr. Schools et al in the drum circle! The intamacy with all the bands playing that stage was incredible. I agree to keep that in mind for future events.

The stage issue is a lesson learned...It could have been a disaster...but "can do" won out and the vibes were all positive from my perspective...well done! Thanks again.

• Forum MVP

We camped in the VIP camping area along the fence by the trees and had a great experience. The port-o-lets were in pretty good shape all weekend (even by the stage, I have seen much worse) and the showers were decent but cramped. I was also pleasantly surprised at how well the area drained after all of the rain. Luckily the worst of the rain came late at night and early in the morning. The only complaint would be the main stage going down, but I think they did a good job of working around it. I had a great time!

• Forum MVP

having the festival on Labor Day weekend is not the greatest for crowds ....

1. many people are already "festival out" from the summer

2. you are getting one hour less daylight in the morning and one hour less daylight in the evening as compared to July 4th

3. and right down the road over 200,000 people were enjoying the opening of the Ohio State football season ..

you all can believe this or not .... but it is the truth ...

• Forum MVP

I think the port a john I went to said last serviced 9-12-1979. But who cares about a port a john. It was amazing. Too bad the fest lost a lot of money. Im guessing the weather scared off at least 1k people but it made it better for fans. I think there wasnt an unfamiliar face by Sunday.

I 2nd the idea of lights near the johns if possible. The "occupied/open" thingamabob would have been much appreciated. The johns to the right of the stage, as the audience flies, or what could be called stageleft were MUCH cleaner than all the rest that I, uh, visited.

Posted schedules -> great idea.

Rocks didn't bother me at all, or very many people to my knowledge. I even saw several folks going sans shoes.

Main stage washing away falls under the "act of god" category. I trust the gravel/rocks/whatever that was washed away, as I'm told is what happened, is standard operating procedure. But if an upgrade can be made to avoid the situation then by all means have at it.

Suckiest part of the weekend seems to be the weather. Just about everything else went really well, and the staff was phenomenal! Looking forward to next year already. Hopefully before Labor Day :)

I saw a drain under the main stage which was clearly removing a lot of water. However, by the time the water got there much of the damage was already done. Maybe they could add a couple of drains BEFORE the water made it that far. That is in addition to better supporting the stage by not having a single support on bare ground. I bumped into a guy who did scaffolding for a living and he thought it was just nuts the way it was done. Thankfully the 2nd stage did not meet the same fate. You could also use the solution you learned from shoring up the 2nd stage; by add cinder block supports in key areas just in case we ever have another monsoon.

PS, I too support moving the festival to another weekend. Even one week earlier should add thousands.

Archived