10/6 El Ray, LA

Island Bro

5-2-1970, Harpur College, Binhgamton, N.Y.

Set One (Acoustic):

Don't Ease Me In

I Know You Rider

Friend Of The Devil

Dire Wolf

Beat It On Down The Line

Black Peter

Candyman

Cumberland Blues

Deep Elem Blues

Cold Jordan

Uncle John's Band

Sete Two (Electric)

St. Stephen

Cryptical Envelopment

Drums

The Other One

Cryptical Envelopment

Cosmic Charlie

Casey Jones

Good Lovin'

Set Three

It's A Man's World

Dancing In The Streets

Morning Dew

Viola Lee Blues

We Bid You Goodnight

Awsome show. Lisa sang backup vocals on some of the songs. Candyman was pre-announced to be the shortest in history, maybe ninety seconds. This was an epic show they recreated and just nailed it. Crowd not as big as the last El Rey show but for an obvious reason. More later, perhaps, I gotta get to Santa Anita by 8:30. See some of you in Solana Beach.

• Forum MVP

They didn't ease us in, despite the acoustic setup to start. it was magic from the first notes. i will say i was there in front of the lovely venue with key shaped dance area as soon as doors opened and maintained a clear and sober mind throughout the night (no doobies in LA, wtf? whatever...) and THAT WAS THE BEST SHOW EVER. Easy.

They have really gotten the acoustic thing down at this point and they kept it lively even when they did the super slow rider with the muddy water lines (gorgeous!) FOTD got most of those that showed up for their date with destiny this night dancing and as i looked across the rail at noah, riley and mango and realized they band recognized every face in the front on this special night as usual faces I knew that the promises would be kept and we would get THE SHOW.

DSO is so dependable. *sigh* LOVE! (is it appropriate to say this show was orgasmic? like rainbows vibrating through everyones body into a continuous experience of ecstatic breakthrough?!?!)

DIRE WOLF! we went to the la brae tarpits on Dino's suggestion (ok, guys, I did it for all of us, I went up to ever band member at some point this night and told them how much them playing this music means to me and thanked them!) and it was awesome to get our pic taken with the dire wolf exhibit and then dance along the front row to it that night! yay!

I heard them say "16!" and i knew biodtl was coming and it was marvelous! the black peter was.... *still swooning* that was special! beautiful! the verse of candyman we got was quite lovely hehe and that cumberland got it GOING that is how it's done!!! very sexy deep elem and Lisa came out for cold jordon and it was just the BEST TO GET TO DANCE TO THIS ONE so special and a first and THANK YOU! wanted to weep during UJB even though it made me dance really hard.... emotional and tumultuous like the ocean taking these children home.

St Stephen..... damn! really????!?!! that was amazing!!!!! straight away we get cryptical which Jeff has always shined in by the Other One I couldn't stop staring at Eaton because he was making music that was nearly incomprehensibly great!!!! WHOA! i get chills thinking of jeff's finish to cryptical, he really captures us with this one, ya'll know! cosmic charlie was sooooo much fun and the band realized they were playing one of THOSE shows at this point for sure because the faces in the crowd were reflecting so much light back they couldn't help but feel the glimmering shine they were creating.

casey jones was absolutely ridiculous silly fun! good loving made my feet almost hurt i danced so hard and they were so tight and Rob B's good lovin's are just so great every time that when they said they were still going and the KEPT going with MAN'S WORLD (sometimes, ask and ye shall receive, even if you don't know when!) blew my mind for the year.... for my life. AWESOME!!!!!! keep it in rotation! sooo great! right into the song DSO played that made them my fave band and made me start learning about the Grateful Dead DANCIN with our sweet hypnotizing jamming we love and my gosh it doesn't get any better than this third set played at the end of their second set.

dew was MASTERFUL and they summoned the dead in EVERY way, apocalypse or not. Viola was just beyond words. my face is still on the venue floor. wtf just happened?!?!? THAT was not human, jeff! NOT HUMAN! you ARE an ALIEN! feedback like the WIZARD you are..... my oh my.

Bid you so sweet and jubilee memories so fresh and we are all right back where we belong.

we had to come home but will be at nevada city-reno!

best show ever.

• Forum MVP

there was a lot of build-up to this show...not always a good thing. I recall a sold a show in NYC last year where the boys played 4-29-71 and announced that they were going to before hand. The show sold out quickly and I missed out on tickets, ended up paying 100 bucks on stubhub!! Show ended up being one of the weakest that I've seen from DSO since Jeff joined. I wasn't upset about it and I had a good time but also recognized that the music was just not that strong. The succeeding shows were much better.

so when I saw the build up happening with the whole furthur thing I was interested to see how it all panned out. once again they selected a legendary setlist but this time they killed it. the first set was really fun. laid back and unlike any other acoustic set i've seen, having the feeling of something way bigger and weirder to come. second set blasted off with the first notes of st stephen and really did not slow down until the Dew. There are too many highlights to recall but I'll say that it was a real treat seeing Baracco sing 'its a mans world"(had we not heard the soundcheck I would have been very surprised...). The Viola jam takes the cake of all Viola jams....Dancin Too!! oOO and not to mention Jeff raising the dead during feedback...it was all superbly awesome and i'm sure as shit glad I was there!!

THANK YOU

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

I didn't know this one came off the books. They had it in their holster and bam....out it comes for LA. Hope the Man's World was awesome and the Viola epic.

listening to the soundcheck is fun cause it may or may not tell you something...... in this case...... :)

Not really relevant for this night but for me...I NEVER, ever want to know ANYTHING about what even MIGHT happen that night. EVER, EVER, EVER.

I've been known to run away from people who saw soundchecks as they approach me and run past the door (covering my ears) of a soundcheck when it's happening.

I always want the dopamine to be sent on its journey in the most powerful and electric way imaginable and that way is when you don't know what's coming. At least for me and my frontal cortex (and limbic system).

So I would tell you to stay the hell away from them if you can...you'll be happy you did on those nights where the dopamine is TRULY flying.

Archived