Dark Star Jubilee 2013?

jljbirdq

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year's DSO Jubliee was amazing, we managed to keep our tent dry, and had a perfect spot up on the hill. It became known as "Dave Hill" because of the number of Daves around us (actually I named it, and I was only one of 3 Dave's, but one Dave had a tent-peg hammer, so he was the most popular on the hill!). I would like to give props to the crew, the staff, and merch/concessions for braving the storms too!!

Biggest downfall? Lot-seen punks. "Grateful Gangsters" is their title, I believe? Self-given title, I'd imagine... Anyway, the second day they threatened/bullied a nearby couple out of the venue, claiming she was "a snitch," and that whole experience set in place a rather negative vibe on Dave Hill for the rest of the weekend, but we prevailed and ignored them as much as possible. But... guys picking on girls dancing up front, for no apparent reason? Angry dudes drunkenly falling through the crowd? It sucks for us all, because we love having little to no security, but I hope there less of a "punk presence" this year and more positive folks dancing with me! Hourly countdown for NYE has begun!! :dsorocks:

Hey now ~ sorry to hear that you had a few bad vibes. I didn't happen to experience anything like that, at all. All the folks I encountered were really good family. Although you may not have seen many security people... they were there. In fact, it takes all of us to take care of the scene. And some of the things you mentioned, I do believe, seem to happen at a lot of shows, no matter the music (rudeness, too drunk for the good time, etc).

I'm looking forward to the springtime festival, fo sho

:dsorocks:

• Advisory Board

And Michelle, I'm looking forward to some more DISC-O-PIZZA!!! YUM YUM!! :)

This coming year, I hope to have some time to stop in and say hello besides grabing a few pizza's and running (well driving) back to feed the rockstars.. Love ya and love that pizza!

Last year's DSO Jubliee was amazing, we managed to keep our tent dry, and had a perfect spot up on the hill. It became known as "Dave Hill" because of the number of Daves around us (actually I named it, and I was only one of 3 Dave's, but one Dave had a tent-peg hammer, so he was the most popular on the hill!). I would like to give props to the crew, the staff, and merch/concessions for braving the storms too!!

Biggest downfall? Lot-seen punks. "Grateful Gangsters" is their title, I believe? Self-given title, I'd imagine... Anyway, the second day they threatened/bullied a nearby couple out of the venue, claiming she was "a snitch," and that whole experience set in place a rather negative vibe on Dave Hill for the rest of the weekend, but we prevailed and ignored them as much as possible. But... guys picking on girls dancing up front, for no apparent reason? Angry dudes drunkenly falling through the crowd? It sucks for us all, because we love having little to no security, but I hope there less of a "punk presence" this year and more positive folks dancing with me! Hourly countdown for NYE has begun!! :dsorocks:

that was mangosteen - he doesn't mean it

Yeah I was one of the Dave's on the hill and saw those guys reminded me of the old late night nitros scene but I think this is the must do festival of the summer it's not to big and overall the people are great I'm counting down the days and I'm very grateful for DSO for giving me something to look forward to again

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pulling for an acoustic set this year at the Jubilee. I've never witnessed a DSO acoustic set, so for those of you who have, how do you feel about them?

acoustic shows can bring rarer or less often played songs to the setlist. and sometimes its nice to hear a different version/take on some of the songs you hear dso rock out hard to. I've been to a lot of acoustic shows and used to really love them. maybe my tastes have changed.. Maybe I now prefer to dance big at the rock shows... who knows the reason... but I do definitely now love the electric shows way more than acoustic shows. as always though, dso nails the acoustic shows and the playing is just as exceptional. I think it boils down to personal preference. I know people that live and breathe for that next acoustic show.. and I know others that will skip the acoustic show. then there are those of us that don't care WHAT Kind of show dso is playing, we will be there no matter what :)

• Forum MVP

I'm thinking of the jubile as a stop off point on my way to NJ this spring , if things line up ... camping is probably the best way to go , back and forth from a hotel probably sucks , right !?!? ...

actually I stayed in a hotel for the first time last year ,only 4 miles away and yea ,that nice hot shower and un rocky bed was really sweet ,never had a problem camping at the ledges with the quarry there but I guess I ve turned into the hotel type.

• Forum MVP

actually I stayed in a hotel for the first time last year ,only 4 miles away and yea ,that nice hot shower and un rocky bed was really sweet ,never had a problem camping at the ledges with the quarry there but I guess I ve turned into the hotel type.

No problem getting a shower at Legend Valley last year,.................. just wasn't hot..

• Forum MVP

Camping whether an RV or tent always seems to be the clear choice to me, but then again, there are those hotel hippies that swear by the ac and the shower. Would love to see ya at the jubilee mike.

Rick , even though the weather was somewhat angry last year , all accounts tell me I missed a real good time ... :) ... when I travel across county one of my stay over nights is in Camebridge OH right off interstate 70 ... I'll be coming from Abilene KS (stopping in Topeka to pick up Taper Ron ;) so we can show you all how to really party) , I think its about a 3 hour less drive to the lake from Abilene KS than cambridge ...

Thanks Rick , it would be good to see you and the rest of the gang at the jubilee ...the last time we hung for a three day tour was at the Dancin' IN The Streets festival in Denver Aug 09 and that was lots of fun !!!

Steve , that sounds like the way to go for me and I'll talk to you a little down the road about this ... are you going this year ???

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

I don't know about you guys, but I'm pulling for an acoustic set this year at the Jubilee. I've never witnessed a DSO acoustic set, so for those of you who have, how do you feel about them?

I luckily got to see one in Nashville this year. Too bad not enough people showed to warrant another trip to Nashville this year, but besides the Jubilee this was the best show of DSO I ever saw. They destroy early 70s dead!!!

Please Rob post the Nashville show!!! 3 sets of amazing music!!!!! People need to hear it!

I'm thinking of the jubile as a stop off point on my way to NJ this spring , if things line up ... camping is probably the best way to go , back and forth from a hotel probably sucks , right !?!? ...

Hotel is silly. You are like 300 feet from the stage on the hill. You can walk back and grab water between sets and chill in your chairs.

• Forum MVP

don t know yet Mike ,if i could get the friday off from work,but I just booked a 2 week dive trip at the end of feb to bonaire so we re pretty excited for that!!!

Let me know if you can do it and I'm goin see if it can work for me ... if its a go we'll get rooms at the same place ... bonaire sounds like a really nice break from the nj winter and a great place to get your diving fix , enjoy and I'll talk to ya soon !!!

I'd like to see them actually put a second stage where the second stage wound up being. In the middle of the crowd! That was really cool!

Would also love an acoustic set as others have mentioned.

Despite the weather and as some people mentioned a few negative people I thought it was a killer fest. Small enough you could really enjoy the music up close and not get pummeled!

I' think it would be cool though that rather than parking people who wanted to camp from the top down like they did last year, if they would park them from the gate out across the field there so you'd be closer to the gate.

• Forum MVP

We were lucky to be one of the 1st 10 cars there and were literally the 1st car on the left by the gate so our car got out semi easily. I suggest a pulley system in case it rains so the cars can get out better LOL. Was funny seeing backhoes pulling cars up that muddy hill. There were lots of cool peeps that helped push cars up that hill too. Man those car campers must have had a hell of a time getting out where they were parked.

Archived