Dark Star Jubilee 2013?

jljbirdq

I'm more of a sandels person, but the rocks pebbles, etc get caught in my sandels just as bad as if i had bare feet. And yeah, I stepped on a nail at the camp I work at in summer once with those same sandels and it went right thru. Not too protective, but comfort is always my main goal with shoes and life. :)

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I get gravel for erosion purposes. Sort of? Plenty of other methods for erosion control, espcially at a dance site!! (but that is a broad stroke---every peice of earth is different)

I have never been, I know nothing of the terraine, but what I do know very well is turf and errosion control. Do you not realize how thick of turf you can grow in OH!! If I ever was to dance bare foot again.......it would only be on dense grass!!!

I know I post lots-=----but at this point I am so hyped for DSO, that I read my own words a day later, and get excited!!!!

I wonder if that is considered forum self love:}---lol-------made me laugh---but I am 5 IPA under jamming DSO on my laptop at a Whole Foods!!! Never been shopping here, but the beer is good and cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

reviving ...

http://www.xtranorma...3/dso-itinerary

"hubby informs wife of plans for dso shows"

hope this helps some of you explain to your significant other about your show plans

:dsorocks:

How come that wont play for me? Anyone else have problems.. Please quick, I still might get to make Jamica if I can get her to agree!!!! Someone show me how to get your wife to understand!!!! If I could work a roommate----and the wife, I could work this!!! Still!!!

• Forum MVP

How come that wont play for me? Anyone else have problems.. Please quick, I still might get to make Jamica if I can get her to agree!!!! Someone show me how to get your wife to understand!!!!

Since I made that I guess I could tell you, of course then I would have to kill you. ;)

This link should work....

http://www.xtranorma...3/dso-itinerary

• Forum MVP

As soon as saw bought.  Yea..  Have not looked at lineup yet, as it does not really matter, but going back soon to see.  Just really happy about the next step to going.

Spent the extra buck on VIP-----really for showers----and perhaps the tent, maybe--at times----its as fun now to run through the crowds as was than. Even more fun to watch now that I am not a kid, at least in appearnace!!!!!!

I really had to talk myself out of Jamaica yesterday.   Oh the repercussions of doing something like that, was acutally going to buy....but when I called to talk about purchasing, the double occupancy killed me, and no way to explain that bill to my other half!!!!!!!!!!

But hey this is going to start my summer with a blast, and my summers now are very work intensive:{

• Forum MVP

I dont really mean run.....lol....my version of just crusing through to different places, differnt worlds, expereinces, all in one area.   Not hard to explain, but hard to get into my mind for to understand the explanation:}    

And I never have jumped over people.  I do not like getting hurt---lol------I was always phil zone, or tunnel dancing:}    Sorry guys-perhaps my words seem overly enthusastic, and sort of like a crazyed personal contact person-----not in the least:}   I like space, I just close my eyes a lot through dance, and weaving in and out of crowds during breaks, or a travleing song surely could never be discouraged!!!!  I mean, trips to the bathroom seems like hours, with the happiest, strangest, and funniest faces seen along the way:}

My hear skips with anticipation.  My hope is at leasat a 10' by 10' area of dance room, but have manged with 1sg ft:{  

It tickels me you though I meant jumping on people:}   Who ever does that anyways?:{   Hopefully not the big MF from up North----I got size, but those fu..ers  keep storage for winter if you know what I mean.

Peace, out, and see yall dancing:}

• Forum MVP

Btw guys I would recommend just a regular tic. At least last year didnt justify the extra money that I saw. Best spot in the venue is top of the hill IMO. And showers? What's that :). Definitely not needed last year lol. My shower was running to the port a John Saturday morning in the downpour.

• Forum MVP

Figured the extra bill was not needed to  be spent, as things most always work out better than expected.   But a bit older now, and can afford the lil extra.   It goes to the band, and now saves my conscious mind from sneaking into places I should not be----as I have done so many times in the past!!!!

I also love the renewing effect of a shower after a show!!!! --------I am not sure what is offered with the showers, but even in back country I maintain some sort of semblance of hygene:}!!!!!   This is also coming from a person who had stinky as a nickname-----and currently pigpen---which relates neither GD, or my house cleaning skills!!!!

Off topic question---why do women/wives say its ok to do something, and than start cuasing problems as the date approaches?  If anyone has a remedy for this issue, and it works----I will gladly buy your Jubilee ticket!!!----Need to know before next week!!!!!!Sooner better:}

Enjoy the day-----off to go battle the world

Not that I need a ticket from you, though I will be there , but just to let you know, that most wives, etc.  say it's OK but don't 100 % mean it and hope that you, the husband, will make the right decision, which usually means "I don't really want you to go somewhere without me, but you'll do what you want if I say no and now I will remind you of your error in decision to get my way in the future".  Sounds bad for me to say and I am a woman, but was brought up by one of "those" women and it frustrated me to see what my mom does to my dad, so I vow to try as hard as hell not to do that to my husband.  If I don't like him to do something, I'll let him know and vise versa.  Luckily we both love DSO, met at a GD show in '89 and are best friends that love to do everything together.  Hopefully I didn't offend anyone, it's just my opinion and figured I would enlighten you.

Peace, Kris

• Forum MVP

Btw guys I would recommend just a regular tic. At least last year didnt justify the extra money that I saw. Best spot in the venue is top of the hill IMO. And showers? What's that :). Definitely not needed last year lol. My shower was running to the port a John Saturday morning in the downpour.

Not sure about that, the showers felt pretty awesome and the port o lets were fairly clean. Not sure they needed to park the sun overhead throught the night though, those lights were very bright!

Not that I need a ticket from you, though I will be there , but just to let you know, that most wives, etc.  say it's OK but don't 100 % mean it and hope that you, the husband, will make the right decision, which usually means "I don't really want you to go somewhere without me, but you'll do what you want if I say no and now I will remind you of your error in decision to get my way in the future".  Sounds bad for me to say and I am a woman, but was brought up by one of "those" women and it frustrated me to see what my mom does to my dad, so I vow to try as hard as hell not to do that to my husband.  If I don't like him to do something, I'll let him know and vise versa.  Luckily we both love DSO, met at a GD show in '89 and are best friends that love to do everything together.  Hopefully I didn't offend anyone, it's just my opinion and figured I would enlighten you.

Peace, Kris

Bingo! It's all negotiation. Just make sure you give the right answer when she wants to do something! My wife is not into the music but knows how important it is to me, so she doesn't complain when i get out to a half dozen shows or so a year. However,  she would definately put her foot down if I said I wanted to go to Jamaica.

• Forum MVP

the closet I've ever come to showering at a festival was swimming the Ledges quarry(no soap allowed tho)...not that there is anything wrong with showering....

Bring back Jazz Is Dead....now THAT would be a cool show. Jimmy Herring shreds.

• Forum MVP

The Jubilee ticket was a sort of joke:}     But will offer goodies at Jubilee, and if anyone who rspesonds(ed)   really needs help--ya know:} no worries:}

The wife thing is good!!    Just gets frustrating  to be told I can not do things.  My parents did the same thing in the 80's, which led me to run away and tour GD.   Can not run from the kids, so peace is essential!!!   

I guess my question should  be------how you get your wife into the music?    It takes a certain openess---ya know!!!

Couple questions guys and girls. First, the NEWS on the home page says they won't be selling beer, BYOB! Is this true? I read an FAQ somewhere else which implied beer vendors. I usually like both options but this seems like an important piece of info. And no l'm not a drunk beer spiller.

Next, bs69 says something about bright lights, and "parking the sun". I really hope this is not true. If anyone else remembers last Aug. at the Rock Hops near Princeton,NY, the audience was surrounded by huge overhead floodlights, quite a buzz kill l thought. I cant imagine Legend Valley would have such a thing but l had to ask. This was my first DSO show and l took up space under some tree branches to block the intrusion. Its concert for Christ's sake and supposed to be dark except for the show. A little Gestapo- like l thought.

• Forum MVP

BYOB-------------I prefer---------no glass----   easy for shows, but not for campsites.

Yea---someone clear that up if you do not mind.

In my my mind.  anything you want goes at your site, and while walking around.  When in the festival grounds-----music/dance area, its all plastic.

Am I right?  I would have to be.  Who checks cars for glass going in!!!

Coollers---at the music grounds.    Let me ask you first?    Is there a seperate place from music grounds and shakedown/vending.  I assume..dumb question, but would love a clearification!!

Anyone knows what I do if I show up a day early?   camping good then, or?

Not even sure why I am preparing...dont you find things go easier when you flow rather than plan.  I mean at the show/s :}

"Where we should go, we just ride" !!!    Words tell me, chill, let it happen, and no worries:}!!!!  My age tell me to allow for no distraction.

For a comment above-------- i never mind living " From the land in the Midnight Sun"......Night into day, and day into night is sort of the ironies of this music.   Hate for people to see what I do when I go bumb in the night!!!----however if you ever slept in "the land of the midnight sun"   than you know how to protect your sleeping world from the outside elements!!!!!!!!

Sun...everything is very close together..vendors almost encircle stage and dancing area. A lot of festivals check for glass now a days. I cant recall if jubilee did or not. You dont get swiped to enter stage area you just move freely about, that's what almost leads me to think they do check when you arrive but im really not positive. There was no camping a day early but I'm sure you could find a hotel somewhere close enough..see you there :)...cant wait!

for those first timers :cheers: this is what I posted last year while we were discussing legend valley  ~

Hey now ~ I've tried to look up some pics that may offer the layout for the venue.... but no luck. So, I found a
few that may offer some insight into the layout. So, typically when you first arrive, you'll be walking into the venue, downhill, with this type of view (yeah, sometimes inclusive of the playful cops... the owner of LV has a good rapport with the local officials and they're generally pretty jovial and mellow... the state boys, on the other hand, will do what they want to and may not be very nice at all... so don't commit two crimes at once
;)  ). You can see the owner of LV's houses and horse barn in the background. The stage will face this way and the production crews come in on Kindle Road (for those of you that peruse maps).  And the pines that you may hear about would be to your left (with this view). Also, camping will be to the far left from this view.     

HOokahville_06.jpg

See the pines?? lol typically (like during hookahvilles and other fests) one would park behind the pines at the top of the hill. Typically, you could park there and bring in your belongings and camp where you please.
Sometimes, if 5,000 people show up... it flows over into the neighboring lands ...which is across the road of SR 13 (like at All Good or, for those of you that remember, at Grateful Dead shows :)and yes, trees are there, too! ) To the left, in this view, would be the stage.  Where these vendors are set up is at the edge of the gravel and behind them is the grassy field. At the back of the field and to the right of this view are groups of trees.
I believe that's where VIP was set up last year... with the showers, etc, to the right of this view in the picture shown below. Also, just because you see an rv in that pic... don't be misled.  You won't be able to rv park down there.  lol That pic was from a cabin fever early show. 

legendvalley-featured.jpg

So, to the right of the stage (if you're standing on the stage)  you'll see some woods/ groups of trees where
you can camp, usually, when camping is permitted in the venue.  You can see some campsites in the picture.  Should be about the same for the Jubilee.
Straight back from the stage is the vendors row, then grassy field, then trees.  

DSC_0161-15.jpg

Well, that wasn't as good as actually having a map of the place. But, it may give you some idea of the layout.

As for the weather, storms sometimes blow in and out of that place so I'd bring at least two pairs of comfy shoes. Since we'll be in the rolling countryside, it might get pretty chilly at night and sizzling hot in the daytime.  

As for the beer question... sometimes your cooler may be looked at ... it's easier to bring cans, mini kegs, or liquor (liquor?  I don't even know her!)

I think All Good offered beer/alcohol vendors in the concert area. 

The music area and camping area are pretty much the same thing. 

Floodlights.... yep, sometimes they do have floodlights that shine all night long... presumably for safety reasons.  Scope it out when you arrive and plan accordingly... and/or bring a tarp for shade. And, the sun rises behind Steve's house and sets behind the pines... so you know when you're setting up camp.

If you show up a day early... you'll have to spend the night someplace else.  I think some folks went to Buckeye Lake (right down the road, you can find it on a map) ~ that place is sweet and sort of reminds me of a coastal region... worth a drive by. It looks as though the KOA is about a 1/4 mile from the water's edge of Buckeye Lake.  I've never stayed at the KOA, but the lake was nice. 

Oh yeah, don't bring your dog unless you have a service dog pass thingy. 

Well, that's enough rambling for now.  Hope that helped a bit. 

Tell a buddy, bring a friend ~

:dsorocks:

:wub:

Archived