What does the GD/DSO experience mean to you?

Cosmic Mike

Hello fellow space cadets, my article I wrote got published in the school newspaper. I have just now found the time to scan it and upload it. The school newspaper changed around the wording a lot to shorten it up, which is understandable, but they also changed the title, which was originally "The Music Never Stopped." Anyways, thanks again for all of your thoughts, I even quoted Mango in the article. http://bayimg.com/OaHlBAaED you just click on the yellow square in the link.

• Forum MVP

I didn't post because everyone else did so well expressing different opinions I share. First and foremost, its always been about the music. An emotional journey that those that don't understand can't begin to fathom and I can't really begin to explain. Then of course the family; the camaraderie shared amongst like minded individuals is incredible. I think many of us here have accepted that were different, strange, weird. However, you want to put it; we didn't fit in elsewhere. We needed a place to go where we could truly be ourselves. In many cases, I couldn't even be myself with my own blood family. My parents and family have stuck beside me through thick and thin but they always have and still do wish I would just snap out of it and return to their regularly scheduled program for my life. The grateful dead community and more importantly the dso family have provided me a place where I can be myself without fear of judgment or reprimand. I feel truly loved for who I am, completely accepted. Its an amazing feeling.

Thank you for let me by myself again

See ya soon for what will surely be one hell of a party.

Listening to this music makes me feel centered. No matter how bad life may get at times, the music of the Grateful Dead can always make me smile and forget about the trials and tribulations of life. Just knowing that I have a DSO/Furthur show coming up keeps me going, like a carrot dangling in front of a horse.This music is my true north.The feeling of love and acceptance at live shows is palpable and I dont think any words could ever do it justice. The atmosphere at the Jubilee or on tour is a testament to what we are capable of as a species. If only the rest of the world could behave the way the family does when we gather, the world would truly be a peaceful place.

• Forum MVP

Have read not a word of this thread but thought I would let you fine folks know that Miller has dumped a lot of new sources on us this month, lots of 77s as well as others, so go to your favorite sites--one of mine is lossless legs-- http://www.shnflac.net/index.php and get 'em while you can.

:)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

I have experienced many things in this world, and my time in it. Been to many differnt countries, some remote, some grand, some poor, some rich. I have seen the Coloradoe Platue in all its glory, and witness the birth of my beautiful babies. I have experinced emotional and physical love, married, well, and have good eductional and carreer accomplishments------All of this after 95' cause nothing else mattered---------

I have always said-----"I have never felt more free than I have spinning to the beautiful music of GD" Been on top of many mountain peaks, free from most of civilazation, but I have never felt more free than spinning to a wonderful Peggy-O or a heart felt played Morning Dew.

The highs the lows, the meaning of the music into your own personal experience, all compacted down to a emotionally moving, and physically jarring several hours!!!!! I dance at DSO shows harder than I ever did with the Dead. I am older, and the world has more meaning to me than in my youth, so when I go to a DSO show now, after having lost "The Boys" for so long, the music is now even more meaningful, and the expereince is now even more sacred.

Fogive me if I bump into you while dancing at DSO, it is my only oppertunity to feel completely free, and unworried----so the energy is represenative------

Both GD/DSO--------thank you thank you thank you--------------You are the Tounges of my Bible!!!!!

Love you forever

• 2 weeks later...

When I am uncontrollably dancing as hard as I can and connect with the people around me, its a feeling I get nowhere else. I dont dance like that anywhere else either. That music hits some hidden magical button that makes me wanna bust a move. My friends that dont understand have never been in the dance pit of a Dead show. We left a Cosmic Charlie show last week riding on a natural high, my fellow traveler turns and says " Man thats like goin to church"

• 2 months later...

Through the combination of chemicals and this music I was transcended to a spiritual place that I never knew existed. I was hooked since the beginning at Roosevelt stadium many years ago. Since then I have had many feelings about this microcosm of society. At one point I decided to stop going to shows because my perceptions were that the majority of the people following the dead were there for the scene and not the music. By the scene I mean it was about the drugs, how many shows they've gone to, naming that tune in two notes meant that you were headier than others etc. It accumulated in Rhode island when before a show I stopped into a fine italian restaurant for a nice veal dinner wearing tie dye, shorts and sandals. While waiting to be seated, a group of dread heads, lot rats or whatever you want or don't want to call them came in barefoot and yelled to the maitre d' hey where's the bathroom. 

This would not have happened on the west coast because they are much headier than east coasters (sarcasm).

I found a distaste to be a part of this society, this lasted about a year and a half when I realized that the problem was that I focused on what I perceived as undesirable.In about 1993 my travels brought me to a dark place and shows were not a priority anymore.

Since dso I have been able to recapture that spiritual place when all time stops and all the petty importance I put on unimportant things seems to vanish. There is a spirit of love brought about by the music that I cannot ignore.

Thank you DSO !!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

Excellent post Brian!    Makes me feel inspired to write…

Unlike a lot of Deadheads, I was not blown away by my first show.  I went with other friends who were already on the bus to a Richmond Coliseum show, but it didn’t resonate w/me.  We got there just in time to go in the doors, take our seats – the sound wasn’t great, and all in all, not a big impact on me.

Later, I burned out a cassette rewinding to an acoustic version of Cassidy.  Looking back, this particular version wasn’t outstanding – but it was memorable because I was paying attention to the lyrics.  Until then, music to me was about melody & rhythm, lyrics just gave vocalists something to do.  Of course, if you don’t pay attention to what Hunter & Barlow have to say, you’re missing a big piece of the Dead.

So I was looking forward to my next show at the Spectrum.  Got there early to hang out in the lot, which was both exciting and frightening to my teenage soul.  I didn’t venture too far away from the car.  This didn’t look like the Black T-shirt REO Speedwagon crowd – yeah, they were the big attraction at the time.

A wild-eyed guy holding a piece of cardboard comes up to our group by the car.  Just staring…not saying anything.  I’m the first to notice, but I’m frozen…what the hell does this freak want?  Then, once the rest of my group notice and are looking at him, he flips the cardboard – and on the other side written in marker “Bring on the Orb!!!” (Google for explanation if you don’t get it)  We cheered like crazies and couldn’t stop laughing!!!  He smiled, and slowly walked away down the lot aisle.  I watched as he stopped at another group.  The same scene…group caution…then flat-out bliss.

Is that a deep, meaningful story?  No.  But I couldn’t possibly recount how many entertaining and memorable moments happened at dead shows…collectively, a lifetime of good times.

Furthur tomorrow @ AC, DSO@ DE & Penn’s Peak next month.  The adventure continues….

• 3 weeks later...

Wow reading this seriously brought a tear to my eye. I'm glad I am not the only one who feels the same way. I'm so grateful to have been led towards the bus and to be on it the way I am now. My life would be so different had it not been for this music and the people and things I have encountered. Now while my original experience and on so many more levels, happened with FURTHUR, I'm glad to know DSO will carry this love and music on for more generations hopefully the dark star orchestra never ends and they keep bringing in world class musicians to continue to make this music once they can longer do it as well as they can.

The best post I read has to be "You meet people for the first time and its like yo've you known them for years and years...." This is so true. Those who I have become closer to at shows then others it feels like we've been friends for years, even the people I meet just at one or two shows on a smaller level I feel the same way. I may not have met most of you yet but our time will come, and I know we already know each other and have met before, in another dream in another day. The grateful DEAD, you either get it or you don't and its so true. I wish more people got it like my friends that don't go to shows, I'm glad they accept me and respect my love for this music. But they are only my friends that come and go while the true dead heads are my FAMILY

Sorry for ranting. You get the picture ;)

The Grateful Dead is an angel band. Furthur keeps it going today. And I'm pretty sure the dark star orchestra does the same spiritual wise. Furthur brought me closer to god and made me realize a lot of things, so I didn't experience it first hand with DSO. Not sure if they play music or are spiritual mediums as the members of the grateful dead family were. But regardless the same message of peace, love, and unity is still being spread, along with this good music, so lets keep it going for many years to come once my beloved Phil and Bobby are no longer with us.

Sorry in advance about this ramble but here it is:

August 26, 1971, Gaelic Park, the Bronx – A Friend asked me to go but I said no – what was I thinking?

I had Working Man’s Dead and American Beauty in my dorm room collection like every other college student in the 70s.  I watched the December 31, 1978 closing of the Winterland – It wasn’t what I expected – I was used to the studio albums and did not appreciate the jam. I turned it off.  Again, what was I thinking?

Bonnaroo 2008 Thursday Night, I had a choice – Dark Star or Lez Zeppelin – you guessed it – Again?, what was I thinking? (You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink)

But alas, after my ill-advised choice, on Saturday night I caught Phil and friends and alas the fire took hold but yes I never saw Jerry L.

Since then I have seen Furthur, Phil and Friends, The Dead, Rat Dog and every chance I get DSO (about 15 times and counting) .  I spent my 60th birthday at the Birchmere experiencing a DSO acoustic set.

I never experienced firsthand, the Grateful Dead experience, but DSO lets me understand John K’s quote about Jerry “He was into seeing what, collectively, were the highest possible results he could get from spontaneous collaboration. And when you’re doing that there’s no forcing it. You’re creating an environment where it might happen, hoping it will happen, and when it does it’s sort of like rubbing sticks together, catching a little flame and trying to nurture it.”

Yes - And what can I say about the people you meet.  We share the visceral experience of being captured by the music - for a short amount of time nothing else in the world matters

DSO – THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU -  It’s not the original but to the extent that DSO is continuing the Grateful Dead experience  - I am experiencing the vibe for the first time. – So I am Late to the Party, but I’m here – see you in Ohio!!!

Archived