no free DSO show in Springfield, Oh. this summer

evilive

Read this on another forum, wow that is a real bummer! I cant imagine this show would actually hurt attendance at either show, if anything it might actually get a few more people to the jubilee. This Walthers guy already has a shady reputation and there was much talk around Ohio when he moved All Good here that he would destroy the existing local music scene and replace it with his own while filling his pockets. I never met the guy, but sure does look like things are headed in that direction. It seems quite contrary to the ideals of the GD and everything DSO is trying to recreate/ keep alive. Jerry is looking down shaking his head I'm sure.

NO FREE DSO SHOW IN SPRINGFIELD THIS JULY

icon_post_target.gifby koko » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:17 pm

tim walthers has decided the free annual dark star orchestra show in springfield will no longer be happening. it would hurt attendance at the dark star jubilee and the all good festival. after their upcoming newport show, if you want to see DSO in ohio you'll be paying tim walthers to do so.... for the time being.

^^ according to the all good festival facebook page(which actually says the jubilee is their only ohio appearance this summer)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not complaining about the lack of a free show. Just wondering what changed that the band and/or management no longer wishes to support a charity (springfield arts council) that they have been supporting for years and then claiming that it would take money away from all good/jubilee. I just dont buy it. As far as all good, i will never believe that one single person would be swayed to attend or not attend by just dso or many other bands that play there

• Forum MVP

I'm thinking that the band and management want to focus all their energy on the jubilee to help make it a successful annual event in Ohio ... its music , its fun for all , and its a business that has to be successful in order to continue .

• Forum MVP

I spend so much money to go to shows, and will spend more and more years to come.

Most of the tickets I have bought have only been about $25.

So I am unsure of your complaint. Do you not think DSO is worth $25 a ticket?

Honestly----I would spend up to a $100 a ticket to see these guys play!!!

Hahaha you guys bust people's balls like Rick. Yeah shit man, it's not cool to lose a free concert and nor are profit savvy robber barons. I'll make some guy richer so he can go wife up a beautiful woman half his age and ride a segway around his estate. He may even get a yacht too someday. But I assure you I am having way better time than he will ever have.

• Forum MVP

I respectfully have to disagree with Aaron, Chuck, Mike, and Taper Ron on this one ....

In regards to the show in Springfield, Ohio that has been going on for years and brings a crowd in the thousands to enjoy a beautiful venue for free I am sad to see it go ....

with that said ..... I am not going to get into the "Why it was cancelled" argument...

and I hope it is not true and this person who started the thread may just have an axe to grind ....

But the Springfield show is the best DSO show each and every summer .....

hopefully it keeps on Truckin on ...

Actuall, i have spent 25 dollars to see dso many times. It was just nice to see the band giving back and supporting the community and a beautiful venue. It was also nice seeing them in a family friendly enviroment. Yes i know thhey have "family camping" at the jubilee, but i still would never take my kids there, too much going on at festivals i would rather not expose them to. Mailny my original point was about walther and how he has damaged the scene in every area he has been to. How welcome do you think he is at marvins mountain these days? Legend valley has always been my favorite venue and in a few years when walther moves on I bet they wont have any shows at all there because the locals wont tolerate it. He has done this before and will do it again. I guess what mostly gets my goat is the fact that he blatently states that it is about money(ticket sales). For the record, if i just wanted to stir up shit, i would have been in here a long time ago bitching about dso being a cover band, which they are, albiet a very good one who always puts on a good show and I do have a good time whenever I get the chance to catch them.

Hahaha you guys bust people's balls like Rick. Yeah shit man, it's not cool to lose a free concert and nor are profit savvy robber barons. I'll make some guy richer so he can go wife up a beautiful woman half his age and ride a segway around his estate. He may even get a yacht too someday. But I assure you I am having way better time than he will ever have.

Lost me on that one!

I'm not sure I would consider Tim a "Robber Baron" If he is providing you with an opportunity to have more fun than he is, well then I guess he's earning his money! Isn't capitalism the American way.

Thanks for your hard work Tim!

• Forum MVP

LOL----DSO gives back every time they play---no? No one would support these guys if they sucked:} But they don't suck, they rock, and give us the most beautiful tunes to be played. I see them not as a cover band, but more of an extension to a continuing era----This past Philly show was one of the best performances I have ever heard----Dead or DSO----the songs the same, but the personality behind the music is different------(does it erk anyone else to hear or read DSO as a cover band?)

I never said dso sucked, in fact i said i have enjoyed them everytime i have seen them. However you are delusional if you think they are not a cover band. There is no need to be offended(or irked) by that. They are very good at what they do, but they are what they are. If it makes you feel any better, furthur( who has been sounding amazing lately) is also a greatful dead cover band. In any case, that was not my original point or topic of this thread.

Actuall, i have spent 25 dollars to see dso many times. It was just nice to see the band giving back and supporting the community and a beautiful venue. It was also nice seeing them in a family friendly enviroment. Yes i know thhey have "family camping" at the jubilee, but i still would never take my kids there, too much going on at festivals i would rather not expose them to. Mailny my original point was about walther and how he has damaged the scene in every area he has been to. How welcome do you think he is at marvins mountain these days? Legend valley has always been my favorite venue and in a few years when walther moves on I bet they wont have any shows at all there because the locals wont tolerate it. He has done this before and will do it again. I guess what mostly gets my goat is the fact that he blatently states that it is about money(ticket sales). For the record, if i just wanted to stir up shit, i would have been in here a long time ago bitching about dso being a cover band, which they are, albiet a very good one who always puts on a good show and I do have a good time whenever I get the chance to catch them.

Maybe you have been in here before under a differnt name. Most of your attack on Tim sounds very familiar. As far as DSO being a cover band, do you also consider the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Buffalo Philhamonic or the Cleveland Orchestra cover bands? Sell crazy some place else we're all stocked up here.

Nope, never posted here before. As far as cover bands, from wiki:

A cover band (or covers band), is a band that plays mostly or exclusively cover songs.

So yes i guess i would consider them cover bands. Would you prefer if i said dso, furthur were tribute bands?

• Forum MVP

I never said dso sucked, in fact i said i have enjoyed them everytime i have seen them. However you are delusional if you think they are not a cover band. There is no need to be offended(or irked) by that. They are very good at what they do, but they are what they are. If it makes you feel any better, furthur( who has been sounding amazing lately) is also a greatful dead cover band. In any case, that was not my original point or topic of this thread.

LOL---Again----Never said you said they sucked:} Say that with a buzz 3times!!! My point being was that DSO rocks. They are only supported because they are the real deal. If they were not, they would be another "cover band" giving free shows away. GD played for free tons back in the 60's, but the only free shows I got into in the 80's/90's were the ones I snuck into!!! And towards the end, the ticket prices were starting to climb!!!!

I am sorry you think of me as delusional. It usually takes most people a good drop or two around me to come up with that shit, but what ever....I mean no harm, and fogive me if I seem harsh and confrotational. Just sharing an opinion, and asking questions!!

Anyhow, DSO is blowing up---- There is a point that genuine quality becomes recognized, and should be compensated!! As good as DSO is-----I can not believe they were still playing free shows!! I was acutally suprised to hear that, even more suprised someone would complain now, rather than expressing how THANKFULL they are to have got to expereince DSO at a free venue with the Kids.

All of us unfortuanatley knows nothing is forwever:{ 95 proved that to me with heartache------I never bitched, but celebrated what I got to experience----It might help if you see the passing of this free event in that way. Be Greatful For what you have had, rather than what you now want----I think Jerry would be more pleased with that---but what do I know:} I am delusional---hahaha

• Forum MVP

Maybe you have been in here before under a differnt name. Most of your attack on Tim sounds very familiar. As far as DSO being a cover band, do you also consider the Boston Symphony Orchestra, Buffalo Philhamonic or the Cleveland Orchestra cover bands? Sell crazy some place else we're all stocked up here.

Mr. C------Please hook up with me at Jubilee!!! My first thoughts about the cover band thing was exactly what you just wrote!!

Wow------put a smile on my face---

• Forum MVP

Ok wow, I wasnt trying to be confrontational either and I guess we both kinda came off that way. Again, i wasnt bitching about a lack of a free show. Gonna climb off my soapbox now and go back to quietly lurking

its a tough room sometimes ... step back , count to ten , come back in and try again ...

Lost me on that one!

I'm not sure I would consider Tim a "Robber Baron" If he is providing you with an opportunity to have more fun than he is, well then I guess he's earning his money! Isn't capitalism the American way.

Thanks for your hard work Tim!

Yeah damn, I have no idea who Tim is. Was he the guy who kinda gave the speeches at the Jubilee? Well not really speeches, more so stage announcements.

Archived