no free DSO show in Springfield, Oh. this summer

evilive

• Forum MVP

so this all started because of a thread on an Ekootic Hookah messageboard? Who are they??? The only thing I know about hookah, other that their music is incredibly mediocre(to my ears), is that their scene is riddled with nasty drugs. Hey OHIO, give it a break. Y'all should be thankful that DSO graces your state with festival appearances every year.

Where's my free Cali DSO show???

Don't lump all of us Buckeye's with the original poster! We love this particular show for many reasons. Why would you feel the need to jump on us for lamenting it's passing, if true?

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally feel that pretty much all of the music in the 'jam band' scene is garbage, in fact, most of the bands don't even 'jam'. Just lame offshoots of GD, primarily focused on the party scene.

If they did "jam" their music wouldn't be as predictable as it can be at times.

• Forum MVP

I personally feel that pretty much all of the music in the 'jam band' scene is garbage, in fact, most of the bands don't even 'jam'. Just lame offshoots of GD, primarily focused on the party scene.

The ABB gives a good jamming show ... they have their own sound and they jam their old asses off !!! Hot Tuna , still around and going strong ... Kimock comes out with a good jam band every now and then ... Melvin is still doing it old school along with the various members of his bands !!!

• Forum MVP

Parting shot- Tim Walther is the kindest and smartest promoter in this business. Besides being our manager who basically took a struggling band back from the brink, he provides some wonderful summer time fun with ALL GOOD. Those of you who have negative things to say about him are talking out your asses!!! Believe me, I know what I'm talking about and consider him ,amongst everything else, a friend!

And Disco Pizza Rocks!!!:-)

• Forum MVP

Don't lump all of us Buckeye's with the original poster! We love this particular show for many reasons. Why would you feel the need to jump on us for lamenting it's passing, if true?

If it doesn't apply to you than don't take it personally. There has been common theme of Ohio heads coming on here and bitching about this and that. I'm not saying you shouldn't love the show or be bummed that it might not happen, but don't come out attack the manager of the band(which I realize you aren't doing).

• Forum MVP

The ABB gives a good jamming show ... they have their own sound and they jam their old asses off !!! Hot Tuna , still around and going strong ... Kimock comes out with a good jam band every now and then ... Melvin is still doing it old school along with the various members of his bands !!!

I love Derek Trucks. Warren Haynes, not so much. But to me the ABB don't improvise in the way the Dead did...most bands don't, unless you want to step into the wonderful world of Jazz.

• Forum MVP

I understand that he is loved by many, and I respect that. To me, there isn't a single sound he makes from his guitar I enjoy. I describe the one sound as a chain saw cutting through glass. Really my biggest issue with him is that it doesn't seem like he is listening to the other band members. I acknowledge that this may not be true, perhaps I am just projecting....but I don't like him. :lol:

• Forum MVP

To me, there isn't a single sound he makes from his guitar I enjoy. I describe the one sound as a chain saw cutting through glass.

LOL-----Thats funny. Actually all your words are funny, cause I agree. I was so pissed about the sound "The Dead" produced at the Gorge in 09, that I completely missed the Futher shows---not knowing Warren got the boot, while snagging up Kadlecik.

Many told me that was a great Further tour, so I blame Warren for making me miss that shit, as hearing him play Jerry made me cry for all the wrong reasons!!!

Warren Who? So yea, I agree 100% with you

• Forum MVP

I love Derek Trucks. Warren Haynes, not so much. But to me the ABB don't improvise in the way the Dead did...most bands don't, unless you want to step into the wonderful world of Jazz.

Jazz is the shit , it's my fav music next to Jerry !!! ... didn't like Warren in the Dead either ... Derek is in a league all his own !!!

Hey now friends, my first post on the forum. Getting excited about Jubilee! So yeah I am a Warren fan and loved the tour he did with the boys. It was a different direction and bitter sweet for most people. One thing I respect about his approach was he still sounded like Warren to me. He didn't emulate Jerry like so many guitar players are tempted to do when trying to fill that slot. I love Jerry Garcia and still listen to him more than any other guitar player. I wonder if Warren would have taken more of the approach that John has, would he have been more well received? or furthur ridiculed for not staying true? Its allgood, I love all rehashed GD music! I am dreaming of another Dead reunion within the next few years. So, back on the subject...I have always had to pay to see GD music, even in the small town dives. So if there was a free show before, that alone is cool enough.

• Forum MVP

most bands don't, unless you want to step into the wonderful world of Jazz.

Aaron, we should talk shop on jazz. My vinyl collection if very much going much more in that direction now that I have everything the dead released on vinyl officially or I officially.

I'm particularly infatuated with Freddie Hubbard and lee Morgan.

• Forum MVP

Aaron, we should talk shop on jazz. My vinyl collection if very much going much more in that direction now that I have everything the dead released on vinyl officially or I officially.

I'm particularly infatuated with Freddie Hubbard and lee Morgan.

talk my ear off my friend! would love to do some trading perhaps, i've lost much of my music over the years.

I never saw anything wrong with 'emulating' Jerry. No one ever sounds just like him, so its not copying(its impossible to copy jerry)...I consider it playing under the influence and with respect to Jerry. And Jeff Mattson is my favorite at doing that.

I like the jazz enthusiasm. Truly great music. This is off topic and all now but Mango, Little boy what jazz do you guys like? Bebop? Fusion? All sorts? There is still so so much I do not know of the genre, but I really enjoy Dave Brubeck, Sun Ra, Miles Davis, Horace Silver, Charles Mingus, etc.

Went to springfield for first time last year besides the beautiful Cassidy deadicated to Mr. Puppy I thought it was a great venue.Was looking forward to the trip again.Are dogs allowed at the jubilee?Any word on masontown,I want my dogs in the show enjoying the vibe.

No dogs allowed, but some people definitely smuggled theirs in last year. Are your dogs big? If you do, just please pick up after them. I'd also like to make a request to get a chance to play with them. Does anyone know if this is a common rule to not allow dogs at festivals?

• Forum MVP

Hey now friends, my first post on the forum. Getting excited about Jubilee! So yeah I am a Warren fan and loved the tour he did with the boys. It was a different direction and bitter sweet for most people. One thing I respect about his approach was he still sounded like Warren to me. He didn't emulate Jerry like so many guitar players are tempted to do when trying to fill that slot. I love Jerry Garcia and still listen to him more than any other guitar player. I wonder if Warren would have taken more of the approach that John has, would he have been more well received? or furthur ridiculed for not staying true? Its allgood, I love all rehashed GD music! I am dreaming of another Dead reunion within the next few years. So, back on the subject...I have always had to pay to see GD music, even in the small town dives. So if there was a free show before, that alone is cool enough.

Much more expressive, and meaningful words than I posted, and perhaps some more insight in the playing of Warren with The Dead than I give credit. Perhaps I should be more mad at Wier and Phill for letting Warren play.

No Warren was not a good sub for the Jerry. Yea, keep you personality in tone and guitar, but do not stray so much that it is no longer enjoyable!! Warren on a Crazy Fingers is like me playing basket ball on crack!!! Neither very fun!!!

I admit my pallet---my taste are mine, and can evolve, but not change:} Warren with the Dead was a crying shame!!! Yea, he made it his own, but most of the tunes GD play are not meant for Warrens style!!

So perhaps its not that I do not like Warren's music, but that I do not like it in associate with Garcia/Hunter:}

My opinion, and obviously the same for "The Dead" as they stold from DSO.

I usually reread post, to make sure I try not to offend. Well over 6-7 Dirty Bastards and a couple of Beer Foot:} ssomething? Will follow in morning!!!

Peace, and I am glad you guys love Warren, keep watching him while DSO plays----more room to dance:} sorry mean---spins and doubles

• Forum MVP

No dogs allowed, but some people definitely smuggled theirs in last year. Are your dogs big? If you do, just please pick up after them. I'd also like to make a request to get a chance to play with them. Does anyone know if this is a common rule to not allow dogs at festivals?

Look at my picture, do you think they are ready for festival?

Always clean up poo......at festival or in forrest----desert or riparian! They impact more than you think!!

• Forum MVP

I like, or can appreciate, all of it for the most part. Now i'm not too big on jazz singing...there are definitely exceptions but I find the instruments to sing very well themselves. Let's see...off the top of my head, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane are some of my standout favorites. Art Blakey, Brubeck, Charlie Parker, Wes Montgomery, Dizzy Gilespie...there's way more I'm drawing a blank. My obsession with the Grateful Dead has definitely stunted my Jazz listening til this point in my life. Maybe it's time to shift the focus a bit.

• Forum MVP

I like, or can appreciate, all of it for the most part. Now i'm not too big on jazz singing...there are definitely exceptions but I find the instruments to sing very well themselves. Let's see...off the top of my head, Miles Davis, Charles Mingus, John Coltrane are some of my standout favorites. Art Blakey, Brubeck, Charlie Parker, Wes Montgomery, Dizzy Gilespie...there's way more I'm drawing a blank. My obsession with the Grateful Dead has definitely stunted my Jazz listening til this point in my life. Maybe it's time to shift the focus a bit.

Love the classics... Miles, Trane, Monk, Mingus, Brubeck, Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea.

Really into Lee Morgan right now. Andrew Hill has a some great albums, get a little bit out there but good. Art Blakey is a boss among bosses. Grant Green is pretty rip shit.

Cannonball, Gerry Mulligan, Paul Desmond, Eric Dolphy, Joe Henderson, Horace Silver, Count Basie, Duke, Fletcher Henderson, Bill Evans, Sonny Rollins, Max Roach, Freddi Roach, Gillespie, Charlie Parker, Rashaan Roland Kirk, Bobby Hutcherson, Freddie Hubbard, Wes Montgomery, (early) George Benson, Paul Chambers, Billy Cobham, Mose Allison, Eric Gale, Joe Chambers, anyone with the last name of Marsalis, Ron Carter, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Lenny White, Dexter Gordon, Maceo Parker, McCoy Tyner, Roy Eldridge, Hank Mobley. I tend to see a lot of those names on the records I own.

As you can see I like a lot of the Hard Bop, BeBop, Cool and a fair amount of fusion (although the fusion stuff can be incredibly cheesy at times.) Bands like Weather Report, which have an amazing line-up, can slay so hard but just fall short for me. Some swing stuff is good, don't care too much for Benny Goodman. I do Like Fats Waller and Jelly Roll Morton though. Also with Mango in that I don't love Jazz singing, but i do have a super sweet spot for Frank.

Not crazy about free jazz. It really needs to strike me as a amazing (as a listener.) Some Ornette is good, I like some Sam Rivers. I guess the best way to explain is like this. I'm guessing that one of best parts of the show for the members of DSO is Drums/Space. They get to go on stage and play whatever the hell they want, which must be super fun and interesting for them. Sometimes i get lost in it and grab a beer and sometimes i love it. There needs to be more going on then 4 guys soloing at the same time. I need some underlying theme or rhythm. But sometimes when i listen to free jazz, it just sounds like a couple musicians masturbating. I want chemistry within the group.

I think the good thing about collecting and listening to Jazz records is being able to look at the line-up and seeing who played what and then looking up who else they played with and making connections all over the place. Really helps me branch out as a listener and it definitely effects me playing at the same time.

I still listen to Jerry every single day, but I also like to listen to a couple jazz albums a day, which is nice for some variety.

Ken Burns Jazz documentary is a great watch.

Archived