Questions about DSO?

GoingBackTo Where....

• Forum MVP

Unless things have changed, The Bus is owned by and leased from a leasing agency. The driver comes with the bus. A lot different from when they traveled around (band and equipment) in two vans. They would make a little hole in the back to take turns sleeping.  Not to worry I won't tell any secrets (if I knew any).

Here's my mystery:  In the notes of old setlists I see the anagram "DSOEKAT" and I have been wondering what it stands for.

I'm seeing edbase associated with that anagram ... edbase may have the answer ...

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

the mystery and magic behind the music

I find these two words that Kris mentions to be the bottom line with this band/phenomenon. Even when you know a lot of how it all works behind the scenes, when they are onstage and the music takes over , we are all (band included) immersed in the mystery and magic together...

Lucky we are...

:)

• Advisory Board

DSO owns the bus... The driver takes it home with him after tour.. He maintains the bus while on tour, and takes it to get serviced when it requires something that he himself can not do...

Ron, the driver, is a really nice guy,... if you see him, go on up and say hello... I'm sure he can answer any questions about the logistics of "Pearl"..

• Forum MVP

Sun1869,

The band has a blog (that is not kept up to date as much as should be). ...  you might find some answers to your questions there. Thanks for your interest!

http://darkstarorchestra.blogspot.com

..... Also, there is years of interviews and press out there on the interwebs. You can find links from our website http://www.darkstarorchestra.net/NEWSITE/HTML/dso.php?

• Forum MVP

Sun1869,

The band has a blog (that is not kept up to date as much as should be). ...  you might find some answers to your questions there. Thanks for your interest!

http://darkstarorchestra.blogspot.com

..... Also, there is years of interviews and press out there on the interwebs. You can find links from our website http://www.darkstarorchestra.net/NEWSITE/HTML/dso.php?

Wow---there is a world of info and interviews!!!---  thanks for the direction!!!

Absorbed a lot tonight:    Wow---the humility amazes me.  You guys are much more normal than I thought!!!  Yes, many questions have been answerd--maybe not answered but more light bright on the areas that were once grey:}

Thanks again:}  

• Forum MVP

I know a lot of folks enjoy trying to figure out what show it was (personally, I never memorized 'Deadbase').

I actually have known people back when I was in college who did just that.

But the overwhelming majority of us don't.  We just listen to lots and lots of new stuff we can get our hands on of everything Garcia and have for lots and lots of years.  And after a bit, stuff starts to creep into our Amygdalas.

I've found it unavoidable. 

How the hell are all the starheads doing?

Hugs and love to each one of you.

Emmy celebrating her her mom's B-day while in Tulum last month!

K_tulum89_edited_zps9759aee8.jpg

• Forum MVP

Curious about Lisa.   Does she go to all the shows on the tour,  but only performs during Keith/Donna era---and originals?

.....and that is the prettiest little girl above me!!    Mine makes me melt everytime she looks at me:}   I am sure you have that same problem Dstone!!!

But the overwhelming majority of us don't.  We just listen to lots and lots of new stuff we can get our hands on of everything Garcia and have for lots and lots of years.  And after a bit, stuff starts to creep into our Amygdalas.

I've found it unavoidable. 

How the hell are all the starheads doing?

I never thought I would know a show, but it happened to me in Milwaukee 2 weeks ago.  Even though I knew the date in the first set, I got a bit confused and was expecting something a little different in the 2nd set.  I hope I never completely know, as the surprise is so much part of the fun.  

Life is good!!!  I miss the good old DStone epic post that gets me thinking out of the box.  Obviously your busy with an important job now.  Beautiful girl.  Well done sir!!!!!

• Forum MVP

One of my favourite DSO moments was Lisa singing Dylan's "Chimes of Freedom". 

Got to see her sing that a 2nd time in Bloomington so I knew the song after being clueless at the Jubilee :).  She belted it out again!!!  Lisa FTW!

• Forum MVP

Been going through past show venues trying to get an idea of where they go--or rather where can I go to see them!!!!

Through some conversations however, it seems DSO has  been growing out of venues.  Just with in the past year or two!!

What have you guys seen over the past several years.   Have these guys been filling venues for the past decade?, or is it steadily getting bigger and bigger, or perhaps it goes in waves, as most things in life!!!

Oh yea----Jam Cruize--is that somethign that happens every year?   Does DSO play full shows?    Are there normal people on those things that do not know the cirucus is in town?

When is the next one:} and are those double occuapancy as well?

As always thanks for any input!!!!

The first sold out show was at Quixote's in Denver in 1998. I haven't seen a decrease in their attendance, not that I have been monitoring it.  I don't think I have complete data I don't show any sold out

shows between 2000 and 2010 and I know that is incorrect.

Jam Cruise as been every year for the past 11 (DSO has not been on all of them).  I have not taken one, but I imagine it is pretty much all music fans and musicians.  The next one will be next January.

Double– 2 passengers/cabin
Triple– 3 passengers/cabin
Quad– 4 passengers / cabin

• Forum MVP

Thanks Taper Ron!!!    I can see myself booking The Jam Cruise with out the wife knowing---knowing that its a Jam cruise.  " I am not sure how this happened love?  But since we are here, and the music is awesome.......:}"

That would be a great introduction!!    My conlusion has now commenced:}!!! 

Nice to have the data man close by!!!   Thanks again Ron!!!  

• Forum MVP

Another goof who cares question---but does all their equipment fit on Pearl?   I have been on plenty of busses, and know there is plenty of room below, but all the gear?   It must take at least 3-4 hours to break down equipment---no?   

Is that all the work of the sound guy?   Who is the sound guy?   Does each venue have their own boards?   

WHAT IS THE BEST VENUE FOR SOUND?

Last question--for now?    This past Richmond show--The National....the first two three songs I remember being sounding low.   It seemed like the sound could be turned up a bit.  I did not notice it at the Fillmore in NC, but someone else said they sounded low.   Not the jam, but the acutal sound.  Like they could of turned the volume up to 8!!

Just curious---not a critique-----Thanks

Archived