Questions about DSO?

GoingBackTo Where....

• Forum MVP

So many questions I have the more I get into these guys!! Been going through set list and venues!!! Some things pop out some things I wonder.

Anyone know how DSO picks their setlist. Seems like they do more originals now than shows, but that seems to trend. Anyone know where I could find some info on the inner workings of DSO?

I heard some talk of "no offense" could you play a GD set. I understand that request, but at the same time, I have been blown away by originals. Are these guys not good enough now where they can call their own shots and still pack the venues?

There is no doubt DSO is tight and well recognized!! Music talent well apreciated, and sought for!! I just wonder where they want to go----are they happy? I am happy, but I have not actually witnessed any so said cross roads, or changes.

I do see some of their favored songs entrench the sets they play, but I wonder if thats my eyes? Would be easier if I asked specific questions, but just hoping some could share some of their witness and speculation on where you see DSO in 10 years?

I am a long hauler, and ready for my 2nd long strange trip}

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob Eaton pretty much handles planning tours. He would take in to consideration what they had done in the past elective or GD & I suppose what time frame, I don't know all of his criteria. I think he will start using my database, I didn't have it quite finished for this tour.

I'm not sure people go to shows solely on the premise of a recreated setlist. I know a lot of folks enjoy trying to figure out what show it was (personally, I never memorized 'Deadbase'). I prefer Electives - or even better Terrapin Nation.

They seem to be happy, don't know their plans for the future - guess I never thought about it.

• Advisory Board

Chripes, you crack me up:-)

i'd like to request that no one mix terms like "algorithms"--let alone complex ones--into the free, happy, twirly thoughts of my favorite music in the world. terms such as the aforementioned tend to give people like myself anxiety. thanks.

love and miss you guys!

xx

lala

• Advisory Board

Oooh jeez, sorry Blythe. I wasn't aware that you looked at these forums or even went to shows anymore....didn't see ya over new years... :)

oh, hush. haven't you noticed? i like to lala-swoop back in right before you all forget about me entirely, see.

bigtime love coming at all you crazies (you know who you are) from the land of the 20 foot snow bank...

kiss kiss,

b*

• Forum MVP

Algorythms would be ok with me, but for some reason, i think NASA computers and any complex set of algorythmes have nothing on this type of music. 

Honestly, I met a couple of old heads that work out at JPL.   Its funny,   their is a reason some of the smartest and brightest dig this music.  Its more complex and satisfying than most people can and will ever comprehend. 

Thanks Ron for those words!!   Actually suprised to hear its "all"  Eaton that takes on that role. 

And yea----I have read on forums where people are saying "no offense, but please play a GD set and not an original"!!

I was suprised to read that myself....but others feel as they may.   Anyhow---thanks for the reply-----and thanks for the starbase link. 

I have been having fun during the early morning hours---when even late night sleeps!!

• Advisory Board

Actually, I am the man behind the curtain... I make up setlists, send them via mind control to Eaton... I am the puppeteer.. I control everything.. yes, they are very happy, cause if they weren't... I'd make them be happy with my Jedi mind control stuff... yeah...

You can thank me later :)

• Forum MVP

Is it that easy for these guys to just see a set list and play it?

That is a serious question!!!    I know music is like a third arm for the members of DSO!!! But is it that easy to just see a set list, and jam through it?  

Is there not more than that?   Some of these questions may sound green, and some may laugh, who cares----thats always been my love of the scene----who cares:}      Do these guys even practice together, or is that on stage.  I can answer a lot of questions about structures, building, codes...etc...bla bla bla....but these questions I ask, are very mysterious to me. 

How can you get that loose with the music, and come back that tight? It is amazing to me!!!  I am asking questions about a world I do not know, but I am so thankful it happens!!   Perhaps not knowing makes it that much more mystic and ethereal!!!

Cant help but to wonder!!!

They have a lot of years of experience playing this music.  Not only as DSO but before DSO and with their respective side projects.  I don't think they do much actual practicing anymore, I suppose at some point they have.  I never really thought about, I tend to take things for granted.  So the short answer would be - Yes it would be [now days].

• Forum MVP

They live all over the country , so regular practice is impossible ... they practice new material  individually at their homes during the off time and on tour during sound checks they work on the new stuff together ... as far as how mind blowing good they are every time they hit the stage , we all wonder that  , it's a mystery , they may be from another planet ...

• Forum MVP

I assume that they had to have planned out that Bloomington accoustic show since it was a different style than they normally play and it was so tight.  I know they are brilliant musicians, but that was an original accoustic set with songs the dead didn't do accoustic so there had to be some practice or maybe there really is some jedi shit going on.

• Forum MVP

And thats ok, I dig on aliens, they just look so human like!!!!      Hahaha.

I guess when you get to that level of musical mastery, there is so much going on internally that I will never get it!!  

If they did practice, I wonder  what that looks like?   Is it playing a couple cords and working through things on the tour bus?  Is there a tour bus---I guess there would have to be several?  

I have to admit, after my first show, these guys were instantly elevated to "mythical" status in my mind.  Yes, they play the music that I have longed to hear, but regardless, their talent is so obviously unbelievable, that its hard not to wonder what they do to prepare themselves!!!!

What goes on behind the stage?   Does DSO chill with cocktails before a show, and come out and jam.

I sat right next to Eaton at a Bar in Charlottsville, VA before the Jefferson Theatre show this past year!!

Actually, he got up and left like 10 mins before they were on stage playing.  

Cool stuff!!! 

Even cooler on V day in Richmond!!!     

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, Sun.  Questions are always cool, but the music is way cool and just enjoy yourself at these shows and enjoy the mystery behind it.  Though, I, myself have always wondered who  "babysits" the bus and brings it to next tour (just a wonder of mine)  But, I also enjoy the mystery and magic behind the music without really wanting to know everything.  We as humans like having some secrets and privacy :)

Peace,

Kris

• Forum MVP

Sometimes ignorance is bliss, Sun.  Questions are always cool, but the music is way cool and just enjoy yourself at these shows and enjoy the mystery behind it.  Though, I, myself have always wondered who  "babysits" the bus and brings it to next tour (just a wonder of mine)  But, I also enjoy the mystery and magic behind the music without really wanting to know everything.  We as humans like having some secrets and privacy :)

Peace,

Kris

POTD = post of the day !!! the bus is one of the best kept secrets , but I think Dino drives the bus for the extra pay and takes it home with him after tour and keeps an eye on it ??? ;)

• Forum MVP

Peace,

Kris

I agree Kris.  Been bliss my whole life about so many things:}   Still can not help but to know more about the magic!!  And really------whats the fun of growing old with out knowledge.  Wisdom never came from bliss, and in my years i have gained wisdom from GD, its only natural my wiser curiosities now ask questions too simple for my youth:}  and until a year ago,  i never thought these questions would ever surface----who ever thought the magic was really happening again until their first DSO show? 

Thanks for the contribution, I too like secrets, mystery, and privacy:}  But I too often wondered about GD.  I figured the band Jetlined each show, while the bus train hauled the tools?  

Unless things have changed, The Bus is owned by and leased from a leasing agency. The driver comes with the bus. A lot different from when they traveled around (band and equipment) in two vans. They would make a little hole in the back to take turns sleeping.  Not to worry I won't tell any secrets (if I knew any).

Here's my mystery:  In the notes of old setlists I see the anagram "DSOEKAT" and I have been wondering what it stands for.

• Forum MVP

Smiles---I thought it was rental--smiles----It takes a lot of money to maintain the safety and stuff on buses--plus a sober driver every night!!!

I rather think they cruise in a tyedye hippie 60's style huge airstream---lol-------but I am even more fascinated to hear about sleeing in back of vans.

Good for DSO----thank you guys for riding out the leaner days into greener pastures!!!   Your sacrifice is now my gain!!!   That sounds like a religion to me!!!

Archived