Jam in the Sand 2013

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

Wow.  This was it.  We had to book this trip early and make payments months before blast off to Jamaica for 4 nights of DSO at the Breezes Grand Resort in Negril.  This trip was a pricey one.  Any vacation to the Caribbean with all inclusive drinks, at least in my experience, leads to one parting with a good deal of cash to be apart of the trip.  Unfortunately, we had some weather issues, as we always seem to do when the Dark Storm Orchestra comes to town.  Man, the weather I've seen, drove through, and stood in all for the love of this music and this band would definitely be one of the checks the therapist put on the "he's crazy" list.  Don't get me wrong, my friends would tell you that my loss of sanity goes a lot further than that.  

I must admit that, due to the price and the adult nature of the resort, this party certainly isn't for everyone.  I have a few friends that I thought about this weekend and that were sorely missed.  A select few of you will receive a hard push in the right direction if we happen to have this party again.  I've heard through the grapevine that their is a chance we might do this thing again.  

I have a lot to say about this trip.  I have some friends that are certainly tired of me rambling, but I am certainly not done sharing.  Therefore, left to myself to talk I figured I would put my thoughts about the shows, the resort, and the journey that was "Jam in the Sand" in an essay that I am choosing to share with the forum community.  I imagine some of you can't wait to get the goods about this one.  Like I said, I have a lot to say.  If you don't generally like my reviews or anything I post that is longwinded.  Please, skip this post and await for someone else's short and sweet review.  I am sure a few other members of this community have some things to say about their trip and their experience.  

We left Denver on a redeye on Thursday night, the day before the party was set to begin.  Our connection was in Fort Lauderdale and I had chosen to cheap out on the flight, accepting what should have been an 8 hour layover in Fort Lauderdale, FL.  We were set to arrive in Monetgo Bay, Jamaica at 3:47 PM.  A little later than some, but still plenty of time to get on island time, enjoy dinner, and get some drinks.  Unfortunately, the trip got off to a rocky start.  I guess you get what you pay for and when you cheap out and fly Spirit Airlines, I guess one can't expect to arrive on time.  Man did my emotions get boiling after they said our flight was on time up until about a half hour before our flight.  At this point, we were informed that our plane had made radio contact, but wasn't going to be on time.  After the plane arrived, we found out the plane had some mechanical issues and the real waiting game started to begin.  As the thoughts of missing some music and having my plans for dinner and pre show drinks thrown off, I started to pace the airport, give employees dirty looks, and generally make myself look thoroughly pissed off.  I did manage to not blow up on anybody and we did eventually board our flight and arrive safely in Jamaica about 2 hours later than we were scheduled.  

I have to say I had some mix feelings about having an unknown roommate.  I have to call you out one last time good ol' teacher.  You sure put me in a bind, but however, after just a few minutes of meeting my roommate, I realized that everything was going to be just fine.  In fact, I feel I have made another life long friend and party partner on this trip.  The teacher surely missed out because this was definitely the type of party that I know he seeks. I must thank my roommate for bailing me out of my bind, partying with me, and dealing with my antics with a smile and good cheer.  

I am just so grateful for all the people I've met along this journey learning and growing with the music of the GD and the best of friends anyone could ever ask for.  A special thanks to each and every member of the DSO, their road crew, and those working for management behind the scenes.  My life could not possibly be the same without all you do to provide us with this music at such a high level and in some of the coolest places one can visit.  This community means so much to me.  When surrounded by it, I am in the only situation I truly feel I can be myself.  I get it; I can be a little much.  I realize I am not liked by all of you and some that liked me, don't anymore but I definitely feel like all of you accept me or at the very least tolerate me.  Although Frankl would argue, that man's biggest or greatest goal is the search for meaning.  In my case, I received so much resistance for the way I behave, think, and feel from the greater society we live in that my biggest goal, at least to date, was and in some way continues to be the search for acceptance.  It wasn't always easy to find.  

Thanks to the delay; I arrived in Jamaica with very little time to spare.  In fact, if one of Jen's best friends didn't hold the shuttle to the resort for us, we may have ended up on the next shuttle and not made it to the resort before showtime.  Her friend deserves a special thanks. She went above and beyond the call of humanity and she ensured that I didn't miss any music. 

My trip got off to rocky start and in all honesty, I feel the music got off to a pretty rocky start. In my opinion, it felt a lot like a soundcheck set.  The band admittingly had some technical difficulties.  I've actually heard that Baracco may have had some trouble with the arrival of his keyboard and its equipment.  This may be hearsay, but whatever it was, the sound wasn't great and the first set was a little choppy and disjointed in my opinion.

Night 1 of "Jam in the Sand:" August 30, 1978 Red Rocks

Set 1
Promised Land
Sugaree
Mexicali Blues
Mama Tried 
Stagger Lee
Looks like Rain
Deal

Set 2
I Need a Miracle
Brown Eyed Women
Estimated Prophet
The Other One
Eyes of the World
drums
If I had the World to Give
Iko Iko
Around and Around

Encore:
US Blues

Filler 
Mr. Charlie

Despite the difficulties, DSO worked their way through the set and provided some decent tunes for us to start to feel out our dance spaces and get our heads in place.  The music takes place directly adjacent to the beach.  Most of the dance space, especially close to the stage, is sandy.  You can dance with your feet in the water and in all actuality, although I don't think anyone did, one could swim in the ocean while they listened to the show.  Without a doubt a different, beautiful, and wonderful environment to witness my favorite band deliver us some grateful dead tunes.  The first set highlights would have to be the cowboy tune segment and the Stagger Lee, although Jeff did have a slight lyrical mishap probably unnoticeable to the untrained listener.

I didn't realize this until they played If I had the World to Give, but they were recreating a show I listen to from time to time and have some familiarity with.  It's funny; DSO's delivery of the show kind of mirrors the recording I have.  The first set is not a soundboard.  In all seriousness, I wouldn't even call it a good audience recording, but the recording of the 2nd set is superb, just like DSO's delivery of this show on this night.  This night contained several first for the GD, Stagger Lee, Miracle, and of course, If I had a World to Give, which is always a rare treat.  

Whatever difficulty they had during the first set, they seemed to have worked and figured it all out by 2nd set.  The Miracle was solid, Brown Eyed Women danceable, and the Estimated was on point, but for the me, the show really took off during Eyes of the World.  Although a 78 show, I feel they played Eyes in an earlier form or incarnation if you will.  The extended opening jam sequence was fantastic.  It really let my own personal energy build and swell.  By this time, I had realized that dancing on the beach was not for me and had retreated to what would be the area I danced in for the majority of the weekend.  Slightly behind the sound board their was a wooden deck like area that a small group of serious dancers would occupy for the weekend.  We twirled, grooved, and like some around here like to say, flailed all over the place. Jeff flat out shreds the World to Give.  One of the best I've witnessed to date and truly a face melting experience.  What a touching tune and like I said before, a special treat for DSO to share with us on this first night in Negril.  I must admit that the rest of the GD show did not include anymore of my favorite songs.  Iko Iko and Around and Around always fun and danceable, but not anything that blows my mind.  US Blues is just never a tune I got into, although the book Growing up Dead did change my perspective a little bit.  Conors states that US Blues for the kids on tour was definitely a get to the car and get out of dodge before the masses tune.  The dance was over and it was time to go, but he did have an interesting take on the "change your act" line.  According to Conor's, Jerry and the boys were being sarcastic and issuing a warning as they knew that none of the tour kids had any plans to change their act.  The Mr. Charlie felt quick to me, but Baracco always delivers on that tune and tonight was no different.

Okay.  Certainly not the greatest Dark Star show I've ever seen, but some real treats, including a fantastic Eyes and a World to Give and as someone else on the island would share with me later in the week, "there is no complaining in Jamaica." This whole thing would turn out to be one of, if not, the best experience of my life.  Tonight, I would play through the night.  Hang out with my roommate and a lot of familiar friends.  I was setting up for a major mind explosion the next night and I definitely wanted exhaustion to be apart of the equation.  I had great plans to get weird.  

I really need to stop making plans.  They just don't seem to ever work out the way I want and thwarted plans lead to disappointments.  If you have no expectations, it becomes much more easy to avoid disappointments.  Despite a beautiful day in Jamaica and getting to spend sometime on the beach with great friends, there was an island storm on the way.  Although DSO would start the show outside and in grand fashion, the wind and rain would not allow them to finish the first set and we were told that DSO would do everything in their power to get the show back on tonight.  Although they started to recreate the next night from Red Rocks 8/31/78, I, unfortunately, was not to witness that magic tonight and the show was moved in doors.  I can't help myself and I must share that Eaton once again managed to mess up lyrics to El Paso.  Love you brother, but you certainly seem to be cursed on that tune.  I am sure I or some else will get the set list up for you (the reader) as soon as DSO posts it, but I can not recall all the songs that were played this night.

I would be amiss not to admit my utter and sheer disappointment at this point of the night.  All my friends were asking me if I was all right and in fact, despite my pleas that I was fine, they continue to ask me so much that my disappointment was coupled with annoyance related to the constant inquiries into my state of being.  Like I said, I played through and I was in a rare head space.  As it turns out, I got what I was seeking.  I wanted to get to a spiritual place this night and although my plans changed, I feel the struggle to accept what we could not command and witnessing the hard work put in by those that could sense my disappointment and I am sure had quite a bit of disappointment themselves to still deliver us some music meant so much. Truly, an experience through which I grew as a person, but man did it get rough and dark for a second.  However, DSO and the music would like always take the blues away.  I know I thanked them already, but Nicky, Will, Cotter, Bryan, DSO, and all the other people that were involved with setting the band up on the stage in the large indoor dining area deserve more thanks than they know.  Despite the exhaustion, sleep would have been next to impossible and I certainly needed to hear some tunes to help me through the journey.  

Acoustic impromptu  Set (One long set, missing a lot)
Deep Elem Blues
Friend of the Devil
Mona
Bye and Bye
Stir it Up
Bird Song w Keller
Ripple

I hope the set list makes it to the public.  I asked a band member and a member of the crew if they had a copy of the setlist and I got a no and I didn't write it down.  Hopefully, somebody wrote it down.  

I can not remember all that was played.  DSO did have Keller sit in for a few tunes, which I must admit I generally don't care much for.  I find Keller to be extremely talented, but not one of my favorite shows.  Tonight turned out to be different though.  I really appreciated his input and take on Bird Song, definitely a highlight of the acoustic set.  I also had my first extended conversation with Keller and I must admit my preconceived notions were confirmed.  That dude is cool, chill, hip; however, you like to say a fantastic and funny guy; he's it. Some other highlights included Friend of the Devil and a very spirited Stir it Up; very fitting tune considering our current location.  I may have more to say here once I get a chance to see the set list, but its pretty blurry to me right now.  There was certainly more tunes worth mentioning here.  Most importantly, I was just happy that DSO didn't quit on the night and we got to hear some music well into the morning.  Bravo boys, bravo.  

The music had solved everything and tonight would be another long night and good times with great friends.  I can not emphasize enough how much I love each and every one of you.  This was a special, special time for myself and everyone.  We we're certainly fortunate to be here..  I would imagine they feel the same way.  After catching a few winks on the couch, I heard my roommate stirring about, apparently because the snoring freight train woke him up, and I decided to get up on 3 hours sleep and get back to the party.  Just didn't see the point of wasting my time on sleep in Jamaica.

DSO would try to pick right up where the rain delay left off and although they had to add some songs to fill out the set, DSO would return 8/31/78 Red Rocks.  Like I said before, things are pretty blurry right now and I may not remember the additional songs played, but I will try.  

Night 3 "Jam in the Sand" August 31, 1978 Red Rocks

DSO played the night before
Mississippi Half-Step
El Paso
Peggy-O

in continuation 
New Minglewood Blues
Candyman
From the Heart of Me
Jack Straw

some of what was added in no particular order
Lazy liightning > Supplication
Tennessee Jed
Uncle (?) > Big River (they definitely added a a cowboy segment)
There may have been more.  Thinking playing but 2nd set.  I'm sure this set list will pop up in its entirety real soon.

Set 2
Shakedown Street
Good Loving
Ship of Fools
Samson and Delilah
Terrapin Station
drums
Nobody's Jam
Not Fade Away
Black Peter
Sugar Magnolia

Encore
Johnny B. Goode

Some more Grateful Dead firsts on this night.  They would break out Far from Me and Shakedown Street.   All in all those 2 nights in August were special at the very least for their additions to the GD catalogue.  I've heard it said that Disco and Shakedown St. saved the GD from Jerry or maybe everyone's growing boredom.  Could be a false rumor.  I saw DSO recreate the 2 previous shows which are also from Red Rocks July 7 and 8th I believe during a run at the Nokia theatre, when it was still called the Nokia.

This was the best show of the trip for me.  Some very big dancing ensued and the sound and delivery was topnotch from start to finish.  The first set was very strong with great versions of Minglewood and Jack Straw.  A mind blowing Lazy Lightning > Supplication and for me the real highlight, a fantastic Candyman.  These boys and lady really know how to deliver the goods and although the wind was still howling, we were spared the rain and the show went off without any noticeable hitches.  

The 2nd set was smoking hot.  The Shakedown was killer and gave me and what seemed like everyone else and great rush of excitement and energy.  They just kept delivering the goods with a fantastic good lovin'.  I am sure everyone will agree that here in Jamaica we definitely felt a lot love.  For the most part, everyone smiled, laughed, and got to know one another a lot better, but at the very least, mostly everyone followed momma's age old advice, "if you got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all." I heard a few stories and I unfortunately on set break this night experienced myself a situation where I know that this rule was not followed to a T, but who knows why the insulter felt the need to insult.  I love all of you anyway even if you had malicious words or feelings towards me or my friends.  I hope someday we truly can all be together forever and ever.  Fortunately, no one really let the negativity dampen their spirits and we just kept on dancing.  The Samson was phenomenal and full of danceable energy.  Fantastic Terrapin.  Some really do rise, fall, and climb to get to Terrapin, but tonight I feel like all in attendance had made it to the station.  Black Peter was a real treat and Jeff just shredded it.  I mean face-melting.  The rest of the show kept us dancing and smiling.  What a show and what a night.

Tonight would be my fullest night of sleep while in Jamaica.  I called it pretty early around 4 AM and I binged slept until around 3 PM.  Unfortunately, I missed out on what I heard was the best beach day of the trip, but I definitely needed to catch up on some sleep and get some much needed rest before the last night of this epic party.  

Night 4 "Jam in Sand" Elective (Probably not complete, may be out of order)

Set 1
Chinacat Sunflower >
I Know you Rider 
Box of Rain 
Cassidy 
Mission in the Rain
Lost Sailor >
Saint of Circumstance 
Who was John
The Music never Stopped

Set 2
Scarlet Begonias >
Fire on the Mountain
Help on the Way >
Slipknot >
Drums > 
Space >
Dark Star >
Slipknot >
Franklin's Tower
Morning Dew

Encore
Turn on your love light (w/ Keller Williams)

What else can I say? Just another stellar show.  Lots of our favorite combo songs.  The first set start started strong with the China > Rider.  After a playful prance, we did a serious and somber spin during Rider. Okay it wasn't that serious and somber; after all, we're in Jamaica and here to have fun, but the early first set Box of Rain came close to throwing me into an emotional bender.  I had to go sit in the sand and let the water rush over my feet.  Man I just miss him so much and I know the adage "time heals everything," but I just don't feel like this type of thing heals or even if it should.  My father was such a great man that I feel pain and sorrow for his lost must exist forever.  I know its important to share the good times and smiles about the most important man in my life, but I also feel the sadness and grief helps to preserve his memory as well.  Fortunately, there was no way for me to stay down or dwell on the moment as I know "love will see me through" and I felt a lot of love from those here in Jamaica and received on a more personal level a lot of love from those that truly know me and love me.  Cassidy relit the dancing spirit in my feet and I proceeded to do some serious dancing/spinning for the duration of the set.  Jeff's take on Mission was beautiful.  Lost Sailor > Saint of Circumstance made it clear that it was an elective.  Mission was only played in 76 and possibly post 91, I lack a lot of familiarity with post- Brent Grateful Dead.  Either way the elective was in.  Lisa on stage, Mission played, and Sailor > Saint is all you need to know.  I love sailor > saint.  Great song to dance to and in my opinion, fantastic lyrics and instrumentation.  Those songs make me smile.  Well, I am now one of the lucky few to catch a DSO Who was John.  Only played by the Jerry band in 76 and a few times in 77 and it is a very moving piece of music.  I might call it gospel blues.  They closed the set with Music Never Stopped and as the song goes, I am sure that I am going to keep on dancing long after the band is packed and gone after this extended weekend.  

I feel like a lot of us were feeling a Help > Slip opener to the 2nd set and although it was not to be, it was coming.  After a very strong opening Scarlet, DSO ripped through Fire, as they channelled the spirit of the GD and Jerry's heart and soul spread like a wild fire all over the beach.  DSO has been killing Fire since the day Jeff took over the reigns of the DSO bus.  I mean killing it; some of the best fires I've heard to date, including the real thing (you know with Jerry and stuff).  I still think my favorite was from Huntingdon, WV on the waterfront, but this one was up there.  Now, here comes the help > slip > franklins.  I'm not gonna lie I was actually feeling a Help > Slipknot > Stranger > Franklins to start the set, but we ended up getting the Help on the Way, three songs in and from there it got spacey and weird.  I don't think I've ever seen Help > Slip end up into a Dark Star.  I know from previous posts that Dark Star can be too spacey for some and is not a favorite of everyone's, but come on, Dark Star in a lot of ways defines the GD and is definitely one of their most important pieces of music they ever wrote and in my opinion, that was ever shared with the world by any band or musician.  After we really let the mind get out there and maybe even a little confused, it was once again time to listen to the music play.  DSO returns to the natural progression and pulls off a stellar Franklin's Tower.  From there, the band decides that it is time to get real serious and shares a monumental take on Morning Dew for us.  This song captures so many emotions for me.  I know the history.  The use of an atomic bomb whether it ended the war and eventually saved lives or not; I just refuse to believe it was necessary and there wasn't another way.  I find it to be a damning scar on the history of the United States, but I guess this topic is best fit for another section.  Tonight I spent a little bit of time thinking of war victims, but the song had a different meaning to me on this night.  I couldn't help but think of all the friends that chose not to make this trip or simply, could not swing it.  In this case, most importantly, Mr. Vegas.  This may sound weird but I've spent time at shows getting lost watching Mr. Vegas dance to this tune.  The seriousness of which he puts forth energy during this song is truly inspirational but of course, as the song goes and we can learn so much from these songs, "I guess it doesn't matter, anyway." The band decided that we needed a break to reflect on what just transpired and took a break. Then they set us on our way and ended one of the best weekends of my life with a take on Lovelight where Baracco and Keller traded versus.  I think I would've liked a straight up 69 love light better with a big Pigpen rap, but it was definitely a playful and fun way to end a great extended weekend here in Jamaica with my favorite band.  

I want to thank everyone once again.  The crew, the band, and all of the fans.  Without all of you, this little boy wouldn't know where to go.  I am so thankful for the love and light that you guys have shared with me over the last 7 to 8 years.  Outside of my parents, this community and music has done more than anything else to help shape the person that I am and through this music, I find it possible to continue to learn and grow.  I feel you guys have made me a better person and taught me better how to love and how to accept love.  I owe all of you more than I can possibly express in words.  I just hope to continue and strive to be a better man and help facilitate a better world for all of us to live in.  I know that a better world starts with me as an individual and I must lead by example.  As much as everyone says they want peace and a better world, no one actually wants to listen to those thinking outside the box to make it happen.  They say one thing while at the same time accepting, supporting, and facilitating the continuation of the status quo. But I digress, Thank you DSO.  If you do this again, I will be back.

Love is real

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always appreciate the longwinded reviews Rick. Glad to hear everything worked out for you, and I'm also glad that Jeff tore it up on Black Peter like he did first night of Jubilee. I have to agree with you on Dark Star. A monumental song, with it's intricacies and numerous thematic jams that have been included in it. It gets weird, but I like it weird. You know it's all about the journey, and Dark Star is a song that takes you on a journey. I'll see you in a few weeks buddy.

P.S. A recent interest of mine has been U.S. history from the atomic bomb to present day. I've been doing some research, so I'll be sure to chat you up about it when I see you.

• Forum MVP

Thanks Rick, we've all been waiting for word and you gave more than that. Wish I could have been there...we'll see about next year. If money were no object it would be no question- but it's a lot of money and I could do a lot of shows, eat a lot of quality food, etc, and at this point in my life i'm livin' month by month.

"I know from previous posts that Dark Star can be too spacey for some
and is not a favorite of everyone's, but come on, Dark Star in a lot of
ways defines the GD and is definitely one of their most important pieces
of music they ever wrote and in my opinion, that was ever shared with
the world by any band or musician."

Fuck yes. My single favorite musical concept/theme. It simply does not get any better(listening to one right now, 5-4-72...). I mean, I love a good Russian Lullaby, but Dark Star takes the cake. And fancy it that my favorite touring band has the same name. Well chosen.

Speaking of Russian Lullabys, I was fortunate enough the other night to catch Stu Allen & Mars Hotel play both Russian Lullaby and Love in the Afternoon in the same show...among other jgb greats.

http://archive.org/details/StuAllenAndMarsHotel2013-02-27.flac16

actually worth listening to, imo.

My feeling on Jamaica was it's to expensive but as time went on I think I was being short sited.  The convenience of the band being at your hotel for 4 nights is worth top dollar right there.  Comfy.  No travel days between shows.  Hot weather during the winter for us Northern peeps.  

Anyway, thanks for the nice long review Rick.  I really appreciated it as we got nothing all weekend.  No wifi at the resort or no desire to plug in?  Someone needed to send Tea for Texas just for daily setlist reports.   I love it when people write long reviews.  I want to know what happened.  You gave us that.  Especially for something as big as this.  4 nights in Jamaica with DSO is special and I still can't believe I dismissed it so easily.  

On the Dark Star front.  I used to be bored by long "out there" Dark Stars so I get it when an obviously sick dead head doesn't like it.  Now I love it.  I need to find every Dark Star.  Yea it gets too weird sometimes.  The payoff is so much sweeter when it comes back around (if it does) the weirder it is though. 

• Forum MVP

Rick > your words were exactly what I needed to hear.  I know I am a setlist slut but how often does that give you much of a clue of exactly went down?  This music is very personal to me and it's obvious that it is for you too.  I appreciate you providing important color-commentary - and especially describing the emotions and introspection it often creates.  Your description is the kind of review that I yearn for when looking for some vicarious livin :)

I'm so glad that this was 'IT' for you and hope I'll get the chance to feel the sand between my toes as I plug into the music that takes me exactly where I need to go.  While I am saddened to have not been in Jamacia, I'm hoping the Jubilee will deliver me (us).

Thanks a ton for the sharing!

"I am sure everyone will agree that here in Jamaica we definitely felt a
lot love.  For the most part, everyone smiled, laughed, and got to know
one another a lot better, but at the very least, mostly everyone
followed momma's age old advice, "if you got nothing nice to say, say
nothing at all."

Great and true statement, Rick.  Scott and I loved flailing with you, Steve and Emma,  GREAT VIBES

:grouphug:

• Forum MVP

Herdy, 

Love ya too buddy.  So glad you made it and we got to rage Jamaica together.

Mike, 

I'm not looking for Cavey.  I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I actually find most of the Cavey stuff to be childish, although sometimes childish humor is the best kind.  Sometimes it is good for laugh.  I guess what I'm really saying is that Cavey and I may have danced together, but Cavey certainly doesn't want us to know who he really is and is more of a shadow character.  He probably has another forum name or at least if you meet him in person, a different less in the gutter persona to share with people.  I never found it important enough to ask around or investigate into the person behind the mask of Cavey.  I'm not sure I would have success, after all he lives in Cave.  It might even be you, as you seem to be one of his biggest fans.  Love you Mike.  I can not wait to see you again at the Crossroads.  I hope you stay in NorCal through Great American.  We should really catch up.  Time for some Tommy's joint.

TomW,

They had WiFi.  I think the reasons for no set list posts or words from anyone are certainly different depending on who your talking to, but for me, I simply wanted to take in the whole experience before I shared anything.  I knew from the start that this experience was going to be one to remember.  DSO wouldn't have dragged me down to paradise just to deliver a so so experience.  After all, these guys are consummate professionals.

To everyone,

You are all welcome and I can not thank you enough for your responses.  It feels good to be appreciated and to receive some of that appreciation.  I'm really just bubbling over with love after this weekend and you guys here are like a faucet that just keeps pouring water into my overflowing cup.  My cup stays full while also having excess to share with others and for that I thank you. 

In general, I want to further clarify my point that this party is not for everyone.  The price tag is high.  I started doing serious tour around 2007 with a great friend of mine that unfortunately for us doesn't make it to many shows anymore.  Just in a different place in life, but I always appreciated what he brought for me and for us to the table.  We slept in the car or in tents.  We used to go to KOA's after the office closed.  Set up and tear down before the office opened.  We did whatever it took to be at as many shows as we possibly could.  I managed to get my degree from Georgetown, but I couldn't really tell you how or why. It was definitely by the skin of my teeth.  Unfortunately, some of my life decisions have put me in a place where I must now choose for my own safety to pick and choose what towns I go to and where I allow myself to be seen.  Some that know me well will tell you I have some serious character "flaws" (although I wouldn't call them that).  I certainly have personality,  I like to have a raucous good time.  Make noise and possibly bother others.  It certainly becomes a scene to create.  I've always felt that if someone was truly bothered they would stop me and say something to me.  Man to man.  We could handle this like adults and if you let me know I was bothering you, especially a stranger, in all likelihood, I would stop, quiet down, and shut down the party.  Unfortunately, for the most part, we live in a call the police first society.  We have outsourced the responsibility of teaching one another to be better people and more respectful of those around them to the police, courts, and when young, the schools.  We live in a dual income society or at least for most, both parents must work and therefore, our kids don't get the guidance some of them need to mature into functioning adults and positive forces for the world.  

Once again, I have had a serious digression, but the point I'm trying to make is that less shows are in my future.  I may make the Capitol shows (I've been once, but I'm drawn to the history there and excited DSO is getting to play 2 nights in a truly historic place for the GD) and I will be at the Jubilee and almost guarantee Penn's Peak, but I live in Colorado now and you won't see me up and down the East coast in May as you might expect.  I also have a great woman in my life that just couldn't do the shows with me anyway.  There is always more than one reason, in my opinion, for any decision you make in life.  However, when I make it out, I want to party big and get wild.  I want to be surrounded by like-minded, accepting individuals.  

If you feel you can still do whole tours and you feel comfortable doing that, then, by all means, you may want to skip Jamaica.  Very expensive.  You play your cards right; you can do a whole tour on the East or West coast for the money your going to spend to do "Jam in the Sand," and do it comfortable with some hotels and quality food.  However, I know most can't do whole tours for whatever reason.  They got kids, jobs, wives, etc.  Whatever the reason they choose to carry the burden of real responsibilities and a lot of them do so to the betterment of society.  They should be applauded and appreciated for their sacrifices and I bet they don't even see it as sacrifices. Good people pay their own bills, positively impact society, raise/support their kids, and listen to the demands of their wives even when it kills them to not let the DSO or GD bug take hold of you and shaft all your responsibilities to spend time living on the wild adventure that is tour and road life. It certainly gave me an adventure and continues to provide me an outlet to seek out adventure that the society we live in today denies and discourages.  If your in the boat that can't give up weeks of your life at a time, but could possibly swing a nice vacation and yes, this is a vacation to the Caribbean plus 4 nights of your favorite band.  I would definitely encourage you to do it.  Look into an all inclusive trip to the Caribbean at a nice resort with no DSO and you will find that it is still pretty pricey.  

I stayed an extra day and got to see the place filling up with the Little Feat/Hot Tuna crowd coming in for next weekend.  Little Feat has been doing this for ten years and the majority of the people I met were repeat offenders.  Most of those that came for Dark Star say their coming back.  Many of us pre-booked.  I would imagine this will sell out this time and rooms will fill up fast.  I hope that a few more spinner/dancer types make the trip and I would love to see more of the stay up until the sun comes up crowd make the trek.  I spent one night alone with my thoughts for a few hours because I couldn't find anyone awake to ramble with.  My strategy on two of a few of the nights was to get the breakfast (starting at 8 AM) before heading to bed not after.  I got to have breakfast and I know getting up after I go down before closing time (11 AM) may be impossible.  

I also, as I am sure you guys can tell, am getting a serious jones to start writing and discussing serious philosophical questions and political matters again.  It probably won't happen until next Spring, but some more schooling I think is in my future.  I'm thinking starting with one or two classes non-matriculated somewhere close to home and then going from there.  Don't really got money for school, but I still believe I have another great women in my life, my mother, that in exchange for As/high marks would help pay for the classes.  No one has ever loved me more.  I know that at just about any university in the country that if my heart and soul are in it and not on the road that I can deliver these marks.  Call me over-confident if you want, but I have no doubt.  

Okay.  Time for bed.  Thanks for listening and letting me share some of my story with you.  It's not real easy for me to do this knowing that some of you are strangers and that hell, Cavey might be lurking and getting ready to write a new song with me as the butt end of the joke.  I've certainly gotten personal with you and in any environment, but especially an internet forum, one runs the risk of humiliation, mistreatment, and attack for sharing their thoughts.  I have chosen to take this risk and a lot of that is due to how comfortable this community has made me feel.  Some of it has to do with an overriding sense of positivity I feel right now after this fantastic weekend and some more of it has to do with simply feeling comfortable with myself and happy with the current direction my life is headed, despite the many bumps I've hit along the road.  Goodnight, peace, love, and light to all.

• Forum MVP

Mike,

I'm not looking for Cavey. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade but I actually find most of the Cavey stuff to be childish, although sometimes childish humor is the best kind. Sometimes it is good for laugh. I guess what I'm really saying is that Cavey and I may have danced together, but Cavey certainly doesn't want us to know who he really is and is more of a shadow character. He probably has another forum name or at least if you meet him in person, a different less in the gutter persona to share with people. I never found it important enough to ask around or investigate into the person behind the mask of Cavey. I'm not sure I would have success, after all he lives in Cave. It might even be you, as you seem to be one of his biggest fans. Love you Mike. I can not wait to see you again at the Crossroads. I hope you stay in NorCal through Great American. We should really catch up. Time for some Tommy's joint.

I'm glad you danced with Cavey , although you probably didn't know it ;) as he is a Neanderthal Man of Mystery ... and as far as San Francisco , we'll have plenty of time catch up and party , me and Cavey are staying with you !!! :grouphug:

getting sserious for a second here - you might get to see Tony ( jawdoc ) for the TXR show ... he'll be down here for the SoCal shows and is thinking to run up to TXR with me ... I want to stay for the GAMH shows and I am planning to stay for them , but TXR is a stretch with work and all that stuff  , so I'll be happy to just make the TXR show ... should be a really good time and will be really good to see you buddy ... come on down this way to SoCal for the shows if you can  ... if I'm by myself in SF , I'll have an extra ticket for  the TXR show   :cheers: 

Guest crazy digits

Rick, reviews cannot be too good but yours was exceptional my friend,,,straight from the heart....another thing, after my comment to Cavey last week, I received a text from him which was very kind. He has and always will be my friend..I just didn't feel his poem, at all......he was with his female counterpart at the JITS and made very little noise... Below is the post I put on Dark Star's facebook page, thinking there are many who do not stop on this side of the tracks, so I will copy it from there and post here as well..

Ya
Mon! Jamaica was better than I could EVER imagine!!! Only concerns were
the friends left behind :-( DSO announced after 2nd night ( I believe
) that they would indeed be back in 2014. I am hoping for February in
2014 so I can stay an extra week...thinking about doing the 4 show run
in Negril and renting a house to unwind for another week after
shows....That includes " all of my friends " A couple things took me by
complete surprise this time around in DSO land.....having been to many,
many , many shows in the last 13 years, I knew just a select few that
ventured down for JITS. In fact, one guy there, friends with JJ ( JJ is a
couple form bay area :-) attended his FIRST 4 DSO shows! This blew my
mind...He plunked down the cash for the trip with complete faith that
DSO would be the band everyone said they were...in fact, J & J had
only seen a handful of DSO shows as well ...He was skipping around after
last night of run, seemingly speechless...many people don't give this
band a chance....after all, there are only so many rooms available for
next year's JITS, so let's make sure the ones who do LOVE DSO get
them.....and PLEEEZE KNOW that next year will absolutely sell out!!!!!! I
met a lot of really cool people on this trip..The crowd was a little
older due to the amount of money needed to make this trip happen. Having
said that, go ahead and price out an ALL inclusive trip for 4 nights to
a hotspot like Negril and see what you come up with? Plus, I don't even
drink!!! DSO was an added bonus! For me it is a no brainer with the
music to top off the evening :-) DSO was sooo good too! World to Give
the first night..stop it..I knew we were in for a great 4
nights...getting back to the people who attended. A friend of mine Jen
brought some friends from college.....these gals are young and the
beginning of their careers and don't have excess cash laying around for
trips like this...having said that, I REALLY HOPE they come back next
year, plan for it, etc; It won't be the same without them :-( It says a
lot about DSO to get some of these folks down to Jamaica for the JITS
:-)
The first 2 nights were back to back 78' shows from Red
Rocks...energy was a rockin...2nd night, winds prevailed as storm rocked
the resort and after the first 3-4 tunes was moved inside and they did
an acoustic set to finish night. The 3rd night they continued the show (
2nd night at Red Rocks ) all the way through. I didn't know the set
list from that show but was pretty sure it was the continuation of the
storm interrupted show the night before. I have seen DSO do this a
couple times throughout the years. The last night was the monster ( in
my opinion ).....Throughout the mini vacation, I had the opportunity to
meet and speak with Keller Williams. Not only is this guy an INCREDIBLE
musician but a good father and husband as well....oh, and funny, like
you didn't already know that;) He was in the crowd dancing and mingling
like any other folk...at one point, I had a conversation with him about
certain songs I have seen him perform with DSO, songs like Fire >
Scarlet, Eyes, Don't Let Go and now lovelight, which was the last song
performed this trip ( Keller sat in )...told him it was the first time I
ever saw any GD band to include the GD do Fire into Scarlet..He
immediately said it was his idea :-) Funny guy with great sense of
humor...also, Barraco, Koritz, Dino and Mattson sat in with Keller for
his set on last day...they did a sweet Don't Let Go....He has certain
songs he really likes to do but can play anything he wants dead
wise...after all, he is a dead head as well..He also sat in during
acoustic set and did Bird Song ( thought of Stout family immediately )
with DSO..The guy is a genius!!! All in all, I would recommend this trip
to anyone who wants to get away with LIKE MINDED people, people who
appreciate the GD's body of music, people who appreciate DSO's talent
level, people who like the sun, water, sand and party...I want to thank
the entire band, crew and all my friends who made the trek to
Negril...and to new friends, Jen x 4, Stephanie, Alyn, Scott, Shawna and
old friends Herdy ( my roommate who never spent a night in our room -
you go boy ), my bestest buddy from Jackactionville-Kevin, Rick, Jen,
D-No, Weiss, Barry, Billy, Linda, Mack, Emma and Steve...I KNOW I am
leaving out a few and I am sorry :-( Love all you peeps! Peace. One more
thing, The Negril natives are the coolest, kindest folks on earth...Ya
mon!

• Forum MVP

I fall under the betterment of society group Rick .... hehe

love my job, love the daily interaction with young people.... they keep me "Forever Young"

would love to do Jamaica ... sadly it is doing the school year.... almost thought I was able to pull it off this past year but we got a new Headmaster at my school and those hopes were dashed.... but throughout this school year I have became one of the Headmaster's main guys  for a variety of reasons - my students are engaged and learn - my AP scores are way above the national average - I have yet to miss a day of work this year - etc etc etc .... so I am planting the early seeds for Jamaica 2014 .... without getting my hopes up ...

and as Rick also stated - sometimes the amount of shows does dwindle - like in my case - but the love does "Not Fade Away"

• Forum MVP

.....he was with his female counterpart at the JITS and made very little noise...

While I already had my suspicions, I'm pretty sure I now know exactly who Cavey is. And those other stupid personas too. (dirty harry, Dear abbey, etc...)

pranksters...

• Forum MVP

We've all had suspicions and yes, in my case, the Cat is certainly out the bag and regardless of my thoughts on the Cavey posts, the man is certainly a good soul with an interesting sense of humor.  I certainly respect and love the man behind the mask.

• Forum MVP

Wow. Just wow. Great place. (I've never seen anything like it!) Great music. (Dancing in the sand can be rough!) Everybody was so happy and so kind and so outgoing. It was worth every bit of what it took to get there! 

• Forum MVP

The best time I have had in a long time!! I fell into a relaxed mode immediately and it has not yet worn off! There is going to be lots of fun between now and JITS next year, but I must admit, I am really looking forward to February 28, 2014!

Archived