Jam in the Sand 2013

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

Loved looking through the waiting transfer bus and seeing the magical and vividly colorful Fred smile just minutes into this jamacian adventure .... I ve been freded..... See you soon sweetie

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Yes. There is apparently now a new verb. Fredding=Dong something that you know is a bad idea and will be very bad for you, but you're gonna do it anyway.

I did some Fredding in Jamaica, for sure. And I brung some sunglasses.

it took a while to get my head space together after Jamaica, hence not posting or reviewing. i had to go straight back to 10 hours of work on Thursday after almost a full day of traveling on weds. most of you know that since settling down to a steady and demanding grown up job, ive had to do far less shows and in turn far less partying. i took a few friends with me from my old college days, met up with a bunch of you folks, and made a ton of new friends (special shout out to d-no - so glad you were ricks roommate). i managed to take fun and partying to a level i havent seen in a while... "free" drinks are dangerous.... so is hanging out with herdy :)  i was in a complete state of bliss from the moment we checked in to Breezes. although the storm frustrated a few, i thoroughly enjoyed it. the storm took with it some of the humidity and left us with absolutely beautiful weather and some clouds to block some of the powerful sun rays.

it was so nice going to shows with mostly hardcore star heads.. lots of dancing and very little talking and tons of love all around. there was only one moment during terrapin when i had to make a comment about no one talking until the end of the song, but that song has special meaning to me and the comment needed to be made. JITS was special enough for me, and to get my terrapin on the sandy beaches of the caribbean was the icing on the cake and made it worth all the moeny i spent. ** to all those who are wishy washy on the price tag of this trip... just freaking go. it was the most amazing trip ever, and with a whole year to save the money and pay in installments, there are no excuses. i make no money working for a not for profit and i made it happen :) chuck, most of all im calling YOU out. you were in our thoughts all week about how much you would love it. i

rick did a really fantastic job reviewing the music and i dont think i can top it. i will mention some favorites though: terrapin- obviously, who was john, help slip darkstar frank sandwich, estimated other one eyes, world to give, from the heart of me, shakedown, black peter, easy wind, scarlet fire.

i usually am not a fan of most acoustic shows, but the rain induced acoustic was one of the best ive seen in my opinion. rob k dino and barraco looked especially blissed out. their energy was contagious throughout the crowd. BIG dance party

the whole band deserves a big thank you for blowing it out of the water every single night. WOW. the crew also deserves a lot of love for their hard work and always allowing the show to go on, despite all sorts of adversity.

all in all, i had too good of a time to put it down in words. what happens in jamaica stays in jamaica.. ive already pre-booked for next year, its a must-go.

love is real.

• Forum MVP

I had one issue with talkers all weekend as well.  The area I chose to dance in was very well-lit.  The wooden area served as a walk way from the beach to the dining area and to the other side of the resort.  They had several lights, for good reason most of the night, to light the way.  However, the lights were stingingly bright and unnecessary during the show, in my not so humble opinion.  Therefore, I tied several T-shirts around them to reduce or eliminate the light.  The next night others would follow suit and we would create more suitable lighting for the dance party.  I had a couple stop to have a very long extended conversation right where I had tied my T-shirt off on the light to dance.  I mean within 3 feet of the light.  Thus, after getting agitated, but also lacking any real gumption at the moment to say anything.  I hurriedly removed my T-shirt from the light they were standing in front of and tied it off on another.  I think they got the point.  I did concede to a friend at the time and I still feel now that I really shouldn't let things like that get to me, but it did and I am glad I found a non-confrontational approach to the situation.  My delivery on telling someone to shut the fuck up while the band plays has gone awry before and I just don't feel I get the same results that some other kind folks do when making the same request.  It's probably my delivery.  

"** to all those who are wishy washy on the price tag of this trip... just freaking go. it was the most amazing trip ever, and with a whole year to save the money and pay in installments, there are no excuses. i make no money working for a not for profit and i made it happen :)

their energy was contagious throughout the crowd. BIG dance party

the whole band deserves a big thank you for blowing it out of the water every single night. WOW. the crew also deserves a lot of love for their hard work and always allowing the show to go on, despite all sorts of adversity.

all in all, i had too good of a time to put it down in words. what happens in jamaica stays in jamaica.. ive already pre-booked for next year, its a must-go.

love is real."

Ditto to that, Jenn, Scott and I make crap for $ but this was so worth it and we HAVE TO go back next year.  Save, save, save....

Peace,

Kris

THANKS RICK! Reading you review has my hair standing on end. Really bringing back some super fine memories of a most amazing time. Seeing a few old friends, dancing to some of the best Dark Star energies and partying with some of greatest people I now know! Love ya Guys (you know who are)

Can’t wait till next year and (most likely) secured my attendance at the Jubilee 2013.

.....I too am riding that Jamaica high, just got back my math skills today. kinda-ha

• Advisory Board

so is hanging out with herdy :) 

what happens in jamaica stays in jamaica..

I keep hearing that hanging out with me is TROUBLE.. why is that? :)

And yes... What happens in jamaica stays in jamaica!!!!!! PERIOD!!!

Itelling someone to shut the fuck up

I believe I told you numerous times to SHUT THE FUCK UP... course this was at 7 in the morning, while we were trying to sleep and you just kept babbling, and babbling, and babbling :)

:)

• Forum MVP

In some cases it is not about the cost of the trip .... it is when the trip is ....

some of us have jobs that do not allow us to make a trip to Jamaica in early March ...

for example - me - as a high school teacher you just don't take a week off in the middle of the school year....

so just like this year ... next year is almost for sure a no go as well ... bummer but reality ....

• Forum MVP

Yeah, the timing may be tough for many. But the timing was also perfect for a lot of us in that many people left a yucky, cold, snowbound reality to arrive in Jamaica. Some of us were getting pretty fed up with enduring wintertime. Although the weather could have cooperated a little more, it was still a pretty amazing break.........

• Forum MVP

It doesn't have to be a whole week off.  You would have to take friday, monday, and tuesday off, but it is very possible to be at work on Wednesday morning.  We stayed a day late in Jamaica, but Jen, like the trooper she is, made it to work around 7 am Thursday morning. It would suck, in my mind, to work anywhere that you couldn't get 3 days off in exchange for loyal servitude the rest of the year.  I know this may be the case for some.  In the case of a teacher, I think Jamaica is a tough trip for you.  Alaska could work great, but no one wants to do the Caribbean thing in the summer.  Too hot, too humid.  Like Fred said, the winter can be long and towards the end of our winter is a great time to visit the Caribbean.  The weather on average will be even nicer than the weather we saw this year.  

• Forum MVP

It doesn't have to be a whole week off.  You would have to take friday, monday, and tuesday off, but it is very possible to be at work on Wednesday morning.  We stayed a day late in Jamaica, but Jen, like the trooper she is, made it to work around 7 am Thursday morning. It would suck, in my mind, to work anywhere that you couldn't get 3 days off in exchange for loyal servitude the rest of the year.  I know this may be the case for some.  In the case of a teacher, I think Jamaica is a tough trip for you.  Alaska could work great, but no one wants to do the Caribbean thing in the summer.  Too hot, too humid.  Like Fred said, the winter can be long and towards the end of our winter is a great time to visit the Caribbean.  The weather on average will be even nicer than the weather we saw this year.  

People are saying it ain't a cheap trip. What would you say is a realistic amount of $ to make this entire trip happen with just a day or so on either side of the music...including airfare (I know that will be more from west coast, etc, but approx)...curious, and maybe will be helpful for others to know, too...

The reports of the experience have been dreamy...inspiring to hear what a good time was had and y'all sure are making it sound worth all the effort and $ to make it happen.

• Forum MVP

If we're talking strictly bottom line.  About $1600 per person per room with double occupancy assumed.  If you travel alone, you pay for two.  Let's say another 500 dollars in airfare per person.  That is probably high, but I think will reasonably cover you coming from just about anywhere in the US, if you book well in advance.  We're only going to look at the brass tax here and not worry about party favors, favors from staff, or buying island trinkets.  I think everyone going should bring a couple hundred dollars for pocket money.  Thus, with my estimations, the trip is going to run you about $2300 per person or $4600 per couple.  To be honest, I would probably round that to an even $2500 per person and $5000 per couple to error on the side of caution.  A frugal traveller may be able to price it out for as low as 2100 per person.  

I hope that was helpful.

• Forum MVP

Well, you just thoroughly convinced me Not to go. 2500$$ thinkin' of all I could do with that money, to make a positive Lasting difference in my life. Some deadheads are the resort types, and there is nothing wrong with that at all, but It ain't for me. But knowing myself, I wouldn't count me out.... :blink:

• Forum MVP

Well, you just thoroughly convinced me Not to go. 2500$$ thinkin' of all I could do with that money, to make a positive Lasting difference in my life. Some deadheads are the resort types, and there is nothing wrong with that at all, but It ain't for me. But knowing myself, I wouldn't count me out.... :blink:

I'm not really sure this is an event for you.  I certainly wouldn't call all those who attend this event resort types.  I know a certain someone who has spent the extra money to hotel it when camping was an option.  Albeit some pretty shitty camping.  This party had your entire array of heads.  Yes, some resort and money types we're present.  Others for whatever reason felt that this was not to be missed.  I have to defend many of my friends who I know over extended themselves in order to make this trip possible for themselves.  Many of us had to make cuts.  We will talk in person soon.  I certainly don't want to discourage you from coming.  Everyone that went that I've talked to says they loved it and hope to be back.  I definitely don't want to call you different.  We shall meet at the Crossroads.

• Forum MVP

And oh ya, the soul cleansing I received listening to my favorite band on the beaches of Jamaica in all my estimations has and will make a positive lasting difference in my life.  I forget many shows and the majority of many stops in many towns.  I will never forget Jam in the Sand 2013 with the Dark Star Orchestra.  Thanks again for a real good time.

• 1 month later...

Not sure this post will get much airtime as the thread is pretty inactive, but we will see.

Jamaica can been done pretty cheaply.  We did a festival trip to Negril a few years back and besides airfare, we did real well keeping our cost down.  The issue (IMO) is the price for the all-inclusive resorts.  The festival we did had both package deals and festival tix only.  We ended up staying at some awesome places (for 4 extra days) and ate extremely well for less than half what the all-inclusive packages were.  You also get to see and experience the people and culture of Jamaica, without feeling like your losing money by leaving the resort.

Maybe they will offer a ticket only package this year?  Did anyone who went see any people attending the shows that were not staying at the resort?

Archived