Vibes for Bob Weir

Tea

I really hesitate to engage...Ducats...you must be a compassionless asshole...one that gives humans a bad rap...One's sense of humour is often indicative of ones innate character...or lack thereof...

r u saying i have no sense of humor?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Ducats is being Ducats...nothing new there.

And Sun1869....you have serious Diarrhea of the Mouth. I'm sick and tired of your uncensored, sloppy, drunk posts. How do even expect people to understand what you are saying? How about putting some thought into your posts instead of just spewing out whatever crap comes to mind? You are abusing your right to free speech.

This really is sad. I hope that Bobby, who is one of our heroes, can get himself back on track. This is clearly a sign of bigger things in his life, I don't think it was an isolated incident. I have in the past bashed Bobby for his shortcomings but have come to realize that I have no place doing this....the fact is, it IS amazing that he is still up there doing it. But if he is going to go out on the road he has got to take care of himself. Shit, did Jerry ever fall over on stage?

Love and Support to Bobby. :grouphug:

• Forum MVP

Regarding Dead lyrics taking on new meanings, here's the 2nd verse from Built To Last:

There are times when I can help you out,
And times when you must fall.
There are times when you must live in doubt
And I can't help at all.

And as an aside, an interesting comment from Jerry in a 1989 interview:

The song is a great piece of ambiguity from Hunter. He's very good at being able to make something sound like it almost says something. The song almost says something and it has places that are clearer than others. It's my favorite kind of song. You listen to it, but you don't know what it's about. The more you listen, the less you know.

There are times when I can help you out,
And times when you must fall.
There are times when you must live in doubt
And I can't help at all

​Who knows if this was the pre-existing encore..but it seems to be very poignant regarding Bobby...and any of us at certain points of our life for that matter..

• Forum MVP

I have not seen the video , and I think I may avoid it ... I would be embarrassed to see some video of myself in that state , and I have been there many times ... not so long ago , actually !!! life is much better with some sort of control ...

• Forum MVP

And Sun1869....you have serious Diarrhea of the Mouth. I'm sick and tired of your uncensored, sloppy, drunk posts. How do even expect people to understand what you are saying? How about putting some thought into your posts instead of just spewing out whatever crap comes to mind? You are abusing your right to free speech.

You certainly have the right to share your opinion but I was sharing mine (and still am) that I thought you were being a dick. 

Really----So not only am I a dick, but you are sick and tired of words that I share.   Thanks for the personal attacks guys.....getting bullied on DSO forums---wow---because i thought it was funny that Bobby took a spill.   Honestly, any of you really think I hope B is hurt.  I actually thought he was the professional, and did not have the problems that plagued the others, and maybe just had a one time slip.  

So thanks for the correction, and the informing me that Bobby does a lot of Jerry songs.  Did not know that, and no, have not followed Furthur, or much music at all for the past 15 plus years!!!    Did not even know these jams were around till about a year ago.   So no, not as cool as some of you other Deadheads:}   

Star Child-----spent many years working through a reading and writing disorder.  I have managed well, and am fairly well educated.....at times, specially in the evening when i am run down, or if I have a drink or two, my words do get jumbled.   They do make sense to me, but perhaps not to others.   Did not think i would have to work as hard on here as I did in my graduate studies.   All future post will try to meet your personal standards-----as I would hate to think my presence is making you sick and tired:{  Actually that really bums me out.  

Did not mean to creat so much negative vibe thinking Bobby took a drunk fall.  I had no clue the extent.  If any of you that said its not funny, ever laughed at a drunk friend that took a fall, than WTF----shit happens.    But the more I read, yea, not funny.   Not funny, they kept playing through it, not funny they did not Cancel the Show.  

They are proffesionals, and to put someone on stage that can not even walk.   Yep, your right not funny---hope some of these words can be understood.   Not sure, as I say they make sense to me.  

Like Mike said, we all fall down and with a little help from our friends we get up again.  I'm grateful that Bobby's been willing and able to keep playing for us after all these years and I wish him nothing but health and strength, a song in his heart and peace in the night. 

You who choose to lead must follow
But if you fall, you fall alone
If you should stand, then who's to guide you?
If I knew the way, I would take you home

Apparently John K posted this on Facebook but then it was deleted some time after...

"if Phil, the crew & management couldn't talk him out of it, you think i have some magic power? This wasn't overpartying, btw, it was accidentally taking an ambien instead of a painkiller... the shoulder injury is real, & the white guitar just showed up the last couple of shows because it only weighs 3 or 4 lbs."

• Forum MVP

It's a concert. Bob is an older man. He was not oriented. He fell. Stop the show, show some love and concern for him. Help your brother then continue if it's ok, possibly without him.

My buddy told me that while they did finish the Chain, they left the stage after completing it and then came back to finish the show w/out Weir.

I haven't seen the video and have no interest in doing so but I know you are not alone in your critique of how the band responded in that moment...just wanted to let you know that the show didn't go on w/out interruption.

• Forum MVP

It's one thing to watch your 20yr old college buddy fall down drunk, but a man in his 60's taking a spill can have serious consequences. I watched the video and feel like the crew responded very quickly and because when they picked him up he seemed somewhat ok I don't know that it was necessary to stop the show. It's almost like they weren't surprised he fell. I love Bobby and don't see the humor in him falling, in fact it hurts to see it. I always felt Bobby had his shit together as much or more than any of the band members. Considering the life he's lead the last near 50 years, I'm very proud of his durability, as I am Phil's and Mickey and Billy's. hang in there Bobby, you know we're all pulling for you!!!

• Forum MVP

Okay.  This thread is too hot for me not to say something.  My opinion appears to differ with many of those expressed.  I don't think anyone has any right to judge JK or Phil or anyone else in Furthur for the way they proceeded following Bobby's fall.  I am sure they're measures in place for how to handle an onstage injury type scenario.  They handled it.  I don't know this but I bet Bobby insisted on giving it a go despite his obvious mental state.  Following the fall, the rest of the band was put in a precarious situation.  They face criticism for postponing or canceling the show.  They have taken criticism for not running to Bobby's aid.  I would bet that Bobby would want them to keep playing; I'm almost positive Jerry would want them to continue.  It may be unfair for me to speculate the mental/emotional feelings of the deceased.  I feel casting judgment on someone's behavior in a lose-lose situation is unfair.  I've done it myself.  I was highly critical of dumfounded Bush in the Florida classroom following 9/11.  I wanted a leader who would snap into command and ready the ship.  Now, I'm not sure if he could have done anything by leaving the room other than creating more panic and unrest in the classroom.  I too have made these judgments.  How does the old Native American proverb go? "...Until you've walked a mile..."

I have no actual explanation for what went wrong with Bobby.  I'm not sure I really like or agree with JK explanation that he took an ambien instead of a painkiller.  Bobby's a professional, musician as well as partier.  He knows exactly what he puts in his body, in my opinion.  I never liked Bonds or Clemens saying that they may have unknowingly taken steroids. I would argue that Bobby's mental state was created through a combination of whiskey and painkillers.  Even professionals have bad nights.  Most here no a thing or two about too much too fast, even if it was only in high school and college.  

I hope the rest of the gang in the band are giving Bobby the support he needs as well as a pass for an off night.  I must admit that I would find it highly unprofessional for someone to show up to work so fucked up, but this is rock and roll and it happens.  Phil knows that and I hope he chooses to remember it here and this doesn't create any strife within the band or more importantly, Phil and Bob.  

Let me throw a bone to those facing some criticism on this thread.  I don't laugh when I watch the video.  It doesn't seem funny to me.  Now, if Bobby and I were friends, weeks or months from now, I would hope we could both look back on it and laugh about it.  Unable to dance I will still crawl across it.

• Forum MVP

If you watch closely you'll see that we he goes down he is still strumming the guitar!! He wasn't giving up, just couldn't stand anymore...

now that is kind of funny

Only because he wasn't hurt.  This last trip to Dewey Beach.  Jen, Herdy, and I (possibly a few others) saw a guy wipeout on his bike.  We laughed pretty heartily and he heard us.  We didn't run over to help the biker.  We assumed he would be all right and made sure from our distance that he didn't need help.  When he remounted his bike, he made some comment as he rode off.  I've been guilty of laughing when someone falls.  If he was hurt, I would have felt bad about my laughter.  I also would've offered what limited assistance I could.  At least some company until the proper medics arrived.  He wasn't hurt and I feel no guilt or remorse for my laughter. To be honest, I've always argued that in most cases the fall hurts my ego more than my physical self.  I mostly figured he would want his space after the sloppy riding.  

• Forum MVP

I said to myself , I'm not posting in this thread anymore , I said all I can say ... I said I was going to avoid the video of Bobby ...  I saw the video on FB today , and here I'm posting in this thread ... I agree with Rick , a hot thread deserves attention from the members of the forum , and I also see in the video  what  Aaron said about Bob still playing as he went down ,,, its  true ,,, he was still playing  his guitar ,,, he's a pro  , and so is the rest of the band ... and the music played on ... the show must go on  !!! they were saying on FB earlier today that Bobby is doing good !!! 

Bobby fans are people too !!!

47998_576924908997242_1861030356_n.jpg

Archived