BASSIST KEVIN ROSEN LEAVING DARK STAR ORCHESTRA NO FULL-TIME REPLACEMENT IN PLACE

Kevin you will be truly missed.Personally not just for the joy of the music but I always enjoyed just talking with you.By the way this is Bob but you probably remember Scruffy my red haired terrier more than me.I was hoping to tell you in person but I respect your decision to help your mom.As someone who has been taking care of my elderly uncle for years it wont be easy.Best tip when it seems like your efforts may not get the result or reaction thought necessary just remember in your heart your best intentions.Best of luck to you and your family.Peace Brother,  bob and Scruffy

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Must have been Hagerstown, MD or perhaps Wilmington, DE when I discovered how wonderful bass is to listen to. I just closed my eyes and felt the rumble, you really made Bass fun again! I'll go forward seeing as many DSO shows as I can, but no matter who steps in I will always be thinking of those magical "Kevin" bombs! Peace brother and take care of yourself and yours.

Joe

New Years Fox Theater 2009? Crazy Blizzard I made it from Fl for the NY Run and Kevin's Bombs are what made the biggest impression and made the trip most memorable.  Possibly my favorite DSO moment.  My feet could not feel the floor and when I closed my eyes and was simply floating there. and carried away to a very far place.  Anyway, "Now what are we supposed to do"?

a16mvrdx2a_fb.jpg

I'm sure the band has already figured out their nominees but I just want to say that Steven Spatz from splintered sunlight is a great bass player and sings....highlight of that band for me.

I'm going to miss Kevin, looking forward to talking to him in Wilmington. Life goes on.

There are far more better players than Spatz out there. Fuck it, since the speculation has begun I'll throw a name out there. Ronnie Penque. He played in a Dead cover band around Jersey called Ripple for 20 years. He is currently the bassist for NRPS. They play so infrequently anymore, it prolly wouldn't take much for him to leave. DSO is a much better gig than NRPS. IMO he's the best guy out there, although Allard can play and his voice is good. I would think that Skip wouldn't want to tour all over the country, at this point in his life. He blew us away at the Dave Tarlowe benefit last year, and he certainly has the chops. I'm sure whatever decision they make will be a sound one, and the train will keep rollin'. I just hope Ronnie gets a shot, he's got the goods, the voice, and the personality. Spatz can't sniff his jockstrap.

With respect to Kevin and how huge decision this is, I hope we do not see a decision for at least a year.  Unless we can contact Lesh's peeps and work something out. ;)

• Forum MVP

Um, Greg, I totally have met Ronnie quite a few times and chilled w him a bit and had NO idea he was such a good player! He is an incredibly kind fellow and was always a pleasure to be around!

Bribe Skip!!!! That benefit left me wanting so much more!

Sorry for posting on an old topic, I am just finally getting back to the forums after a lil life turbulence. Using from phone all the time can be trying!

I'm gonna miss Tobacco Time With Kevin bw soundcheck and show. He was always around to rap with :)

• 2 months later...
Kevin will be playing some shows with Paradise Waits (Chicago Grateful Dead tribute)

8/30 Teddy O'Brian's (Highwood IL)

9/14 Danny's Pub (Naperville IL)

9/20 Warren's Alehouse (Warrenville IL)

9/27 Mackey's Hideout (McHenry IL)

www.facebook.com/ParadiseWaits

www.paradisewaitsband.com

• 5 weeks later...

Archived