Your favorite Pigpen Song!

gr8fulpair

• Forum MVP

So often I think what the Grateful Dead would've been like if Pig hadn't died. I, for one, revel in the thought. The combination of Pig, Jerry and Bobby was a utopian trifecta. While this for me is like saying which of your children you like best, I'm curious if one son will stand out among the many greats. I just f'n love every one of them, particularly hard to handle, king bee, good mornin Iil schoolgirl, love light, etc. For the full on Pigpen experience I gotta have a smokin hurts me too. His full vocal range coupled with incredible harmonica is the real deal.

• Forum MVP

H to H was seared into my musical consciousness through the likes of 4.28.71 and my personal favorite:  8.6.71.  While the Palladium show came at a time where Pig was obviously hurting physically and his vocal acuity was suffering, he still inspired some of the best ever delivered by the GD.

• Forum MVP

When I was first introduced to the music of the Grateful Dead via DSO and the Deviled Egg, I fell in love w Lovelight bc no matter how moody I got in my homeade Pisces concoction of emotion or from him being a dick to me, I could ALWAYS turn on Lovelight and feel better. It is my fail-proof always cheer me up song by the Dead (absolutely has to be Pigpen, though!)

Two souls for the sweet side as ya'll have mentioned!

And I also agree about smokestack lightning bc its only great w Pig singing and that reminds me:

Rob B I STILL haven't seen you do smokestack!!!! Pretty please?!?!

I actually prefer Lisa doin Hurts me Too, which I am sure is plain wrong of me to think, but whatever, its true. I listened to her version from JKs last show over and over on repeat when I cried in the bathroom all the time when the Egg or that insane couple I was with in Humboldt abused my sensitive feelings..... Take his fucking mess, indeed, Lisa.

Love!

• Forum MVP

I LOVE Lisa on Hurts Me Too. Not that Rob B couldn't totally do that one justice, but Lisa..... Come on now..... she's got the pipes to lay it down!!! Gives me damn chills just thinking about her build up to "cause when things go wrong...." WOW!

H to H was seared into my musical consciousness through the likes of 4.28.71 and my personal favorite:  8.6.71.  While the Palladium show came at a time where Pig was obviously hurting physically and his vocal acuity was suffering, he still inspired some of the best ever delivered by the GD.

I attended 8/6/71 (and 8/5/71) -- Hard To Handle reached it's peak that night as an ensemble experience -- however diminished Ron's voice was, Jerry made up for with his historic guitar work.  It is the most played song in my iTunes playlist, and 8/6 was the night that made me a deadhead forever.  That said, I can't really point to a Pigpen tune that I don't cherish. I still miss him.

• Forum MVP

Very surpised that Lovelight only got two votes. I vote for the 27-35 minute Lovelight. If its less than that, then 2 Souls followed by Lovelight. The monster, long, huge Pig rap Lovelights are about the greatest thing I have ever heard. But frankly, any Pig is simply marvelous.

• Forum MVP

H to H was seared into my musical consciousness through the likes of 4.28.71 and my personal favorite: 8.6.71. While the Palladium show came at a time where Pig was obviously hurting physically and his vocal acuity was suffering, he still inspired some of the best ever delivered by the GD.

I agree Tea, the 4-28-71 is one of the best versions I've ever heard. It has IMHO one of Jerry's best guitar solos ever. What a roller coaster ride of euphoria.

• Forum MVP

Last Sunday we went to a barbecue and had some fun.  We endured our friends crap music and by second round late at night, we had the chance to steal the speakers and put on Jerry.

We made it through three shows, and the one we fell asleep to was 9.2.68, the Raspberry Farm show.  

ALLIGATOR has not made it to this list and that is just WRONG. SO, there is my new vote.

What about Caution: Do not stop on the tracks!!!!???? ALL YOU NEEEEEED!

Both of these BLEW MY MIND listening to that show that night, and as Alligator was the first song I heard DSO play after I "got it" during dancing, I had to revote and laugh at myself publicly for not mentioning these two before.  Seriously, when will DSO do a 68? Like this one? ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

This is the era when Jerry decided that bluegrass pickin wasn't going to take hold in the SF free love culture, but he couldn't let go of the passion for acoustic. He was f'n awesome in these years and had a raw sound that was influenced by jazz, bluegrass, folk, rock, dawg, etc., etc. the flower was blooming and ohhh, did it blossom into something beautiful. Thanks Jerry for loving acoustic and for Pigpen capitalizing on it!!

Archived