Drums

Fire on the mountain

Why don't we do it in the road

Throwing stones

China doll

Around and around

Ripple

Original

Cool, misty, foggy - not as bad as it could've been. Great run through NC, thanks DSO and crew!!

• Forum MVP

2 blowouts! Awesome times..

+1. Was great to get to hang out and meet other guys like sun, gr8tefulpair, tea, Jammin and many others. Had an amazing weekend.

Amazing crowds too. So much energy and the place was packed on a rainy night. 2 rowdy shows to finish off the summer!!!! Gimme SBDs!!! :)

Loved the drums into fire. Grate songs to dance to. Love that Pisgah is family friendly. Saw a young boy maybe 7 at the most dancing and really into the music. How awesome is that to feel the music at such a young age. That gives me hope for the future younger generation.

Lovely community vibe at the campground. Good to meet you Rude. Hope to catch you at some more shows

• Forum MVP

"Saw a young boy maybe 7 at the most dancing and really into the music. How awesome is that to feel the music at such a young age. That gives me hope for the future younger generation."

In a lighter moment during Ripple it appeared that Nick's dog, followed quickly by Nick, got loose and "rushed" the stage running between Barraco and Eaton. Man's best friend also liked the show!!

• Forum MVP

Saw a young boy maybe 7 at the most dancing and really into the music. How awesome is that to feel the music at such a young age.

This kid was getting....DOWN!  I had my fair share of frenzied flail moments and this little rug-cutter was right there!  Big smiles from this kid - mom and dad looked pretty proud.  Quite a sight :)

• Forum MVP

I saw many of FHA's dancing both nights.   There is a description above about a family that I watched as well.  Brought a little tear to my eye.   What family fun, perhaps a bit green with envy, but more so, happy to see generations of fun!!!

There were old and young smiling and dancing!!!   I met one ole feller from Gratefulpairs camp, and he had the biggest smile on his face during drums!!!    Made me smile even bigger!!  

Both nights were blow outs, and DSO produced some mind blowing music.  1st night my favorite!!!!!  2nd night my nuggets came in beautiful ways.  So many Roads has always been special to me.  The Fire was good for the soul.   Most of all, the China-->Rider!!!  Yes, yes, fucking yes!!!!!!!!!     My calves hurt for two days after this event, which is a good measure of how well they jammed!!   Oh yea, the stranger and its all over now were also very nice highlights.  

Going though after show depression, as I guess we all do in one form or another.  

Once again, it was very nice to see so many people dancing.   The rain held off till right after the music, but it did not matter, we would of all danced in downpours!!!   

Thanks Starchild for the second night water, and thanks to all those that let me chill and be myself.   Thanks for the swisher sweets, the bacon (meat:}), the beers, the chairs, smiles, and laughs:}!!!!     Thanks rudedog for not making me feel like the hyper one:}!!!!LOL----It was wonderful meeting you!   GreatfulP, T, Flair, Jamming, and several others,    thanks, thanks, thanks!!!   Would not of been the good time it was with out ya!!!!    

Peace brothas......hope we cross paths again one day:}!!!!!

• Forum MVP

As a witness to all the festivities mentioned I will attest to the worthiness of this venue for a 3 night extravaganza.

There is nothing healthier for young children then to watch the older folks "play" i.e. dance

• Forum MVP

Here Goes:

Man was I sore from the nite before!  I sure was rejuvenated in spirit but I was limpin around like hobbled old man.  BIG breakfast spread at the KOA.  Gr8fulpairs sausage McMuffins, a pile of bacon, jet-fuel coffee, ibuprofen, fresh squeezed OJ > just what the Dr. Ordered.  Sun decided he wasn’t sleeping this weekend so the preparation for the evenings exploits just continued on :)

As showtime approached, we were totally geeked although also wondering if raingear was going to be needed.  It was indeed misty on the mountain-top but wild horses were not going to drag us away.  Surprised to see as many hearty souls as it looked like the threat of rain wasn’t going to deter them either.

Hot Women to start (mmmm….hot women)!  Thought it might drop into an Iko instead but Eaton stepped up and off we went!  That opener and the stage setup assured we were going to be having original recipe for our dinner.  As it finished up, it was clear that the band was picking right up where the 2nd set left off the night before.  A hard-charging Alabama was a welcome sight as was the Hell in a Bucket that followed.  Eaton made it clear that at least he was enjoin the ride – as was everyone else too.  Then came So Many Roads.  This offering tugged at my heart a good bit and got flat out serious as it began to crest.  Jeff also made it known that there are so many roads to ease his soul!  Just flat-out yelling (in tune no less) this proclamation!  Craziness.  I thought Eaton was gonna blow out his pipes during All Over Now!  Again, impassioned statements that it was over and that everybody knew it!  Very good – the 80’s styled-original was in full swing! 

At this point, the misty cloud had fully-descended on the area.  Not really wet since the dancing was causing evaporation before it had much of a chance to soak in.  The band then informed us that they sometimes play some songs that they don’t do very often and to give them a break if they are a little rusty.  This ushered in Push Comes to Shove which I didn’t think was that rare but they did a fine job on a song that has never really tripped my trigger.  Loved the bluesy tones of It Take A lot to Laugh and it did a number on my ailing knees.  I was slowin down a bit by this point, but pushed through it because the music was telling me what to do and where to go.  What I thought was going to be the highlight of the 1st set came in the form of Sailor>Saint!  I mean wow!  It started innocently enough but built into an absolute monster at the end of Sailor only to grow in stature as Saint got cookin.  SMILES as far as the eye could see!  So thirsty…..beer lines 10 deep…..water was the path of least resistance.  I’m glad I over-hydrated here because the DEAL that closed the set was one for the ages!  HOLY FUCKING MOTHER OF GOD!  It had the makings of a barn burner and it blew past that label in a hot-minute into a realm that begins to defy explanation.  It would build…build…build, then bonker-time!  Look:  I know the drill with Deal well.  This sucker kept coming in wave-after-wave of fanning, bass bombs, crazy keys, and drums that sounded like 100-lb boulders in the dryer.  You are just gonna have to hear it to believe it.  All-Timer.  {{{archive/live download}}}  That closing shot got me right between the eyes.  Totally exhausted, yet totally refreshed!  Time to get right for set #2.

China > Rider was a perfect selection!  Flat-out overdrive!  The band mates were extensions of each other and the crowd and the resulting tight jam was a sight to behold.  Not a loose note anywhere, nothing wasted!  A sick stranger ensued.  Again, Eaton threw his vocal health aside and just ripped his way through this one.  I absolutely loved the unique build-up on this one!  It went some interesting places that were decidedly less-stranger-esque, until the band brought it back around with the final notes and just hammered it home.  WOW!  Smiles….smiles in the misty cloud!

I got faked out with the She Belongs to Me.  I just knew it was Visions of J, until instead of “Ain’t it just like the night” we got “She’s got everything she needs”.  I won’t lie  - I was mildly bummed.  This is of course until Jeff began to belt it out.  I have never heard his vocals so clearly!  Deliberate and enunciated all the way through.  Perfect timing, inspirational delivery!  The band found another stride here!  Then came Playin.  It didn’t have the length I was hoping for but it sure did cause the hairs on the back of my neck to stand up.  The chaotic part was like a melodic version of a fork in the disposal.  It wasn’t noise, it was a blissful assault!  Knees failing, a young kid nearby dancin in the zone, the misty cloud was getting thicker, I was getting lost in the music and myself.  Drums saved my shit.  I love to groove out to the rhythm, but I had to have a seat.  Period.

The brief disappointment from getting a single Scarlett the night before turned into pure joy when Fire melted out of Space!  Fuck Yeah!  I always think you need the precursor of Scarlett to make Fire really go but the band had no problem taking this all the places it needed to go!  The place was jammed with folks grooving hypnotically in the mist.  It was freaking perfect!  This shuffled its way into WDWDIITR!  Shit, why don’t we?!  No one will be watching us!  It somehow got louder here and everyone was hummin!  No respite during T-Stones.  None.  Nada.  Deal with it.  This version was crushing people into a frenzy!  I was thinkin that this might be the highlight of the 2nd set although I knew we had at least 1 more to go so I would reserve judgment.   My sweet China Doll.  Just like She Belongs to me, Jeff was singing as clearly as I’ve ever heard!  This masterpiece just crested with heartbreak and triumph.  Misty eyes and misty skies.  As awesome as that China Doll was, and the fact that Around x2 is not always my cup of tea, I was ready to begin my ascent.   Not so fast!  This rendition got white-hot and I was blinded by pain, joy, and confusion.  Bombs going off, getting a bit wetter now, and the place was liftin off into the clouds!  The final note put me on my hands and knees.  Laughing, yelling, crying – all that.

That Ripple was exactly what I needed to hear.  Oh man, yes indeed.  As this came to a close, the rain started in earnest but I could have cared less.  All I knew was that Black Mountain was IT.  That place and the people  there 'goosed' the band and I feel like we saw something really special as a result.

Such good times at KOA to boot.  I was lucky enough to share this weekend with the perfect group!  I’d like to take that ride again next year – this time 3 nites!  Sorry for the long wind – I needed to say every word :)

• Forum MVP

Sun decided he wasn’t sleeping this weekend so the preparation for the evenings exploits just continued on :)

T---banking is not for you----I think your the next editor of Diamond Dupree----bring it back!!!!!

I tried sleeping, I really did, but the first night had shock waves going through my body, that my mind would not allow for rest.   I did forget about the lack of sleep, and now its clear why I sat more than usual second night---though my rest were short!!.

T---awesome review!!!  

• Forum MVP

I blame all those rowdies in the campers for not letting anyone sleep. The normal people playing drums all night were not the culprits. Also I blame that security noob in his loud gold cart yelling at people all night. Someone was banging on a keyboard at 5:30 am too. That was really annoying to listen to.

• Forum MVP

Beautiful! I had been wondering how these shows went while off in the mountains contemplating emptiness and holding the container of allness.  Thanks for the sweet review here, Tea, and to everyone's reviews from this run and the high school shin dig.  

I miss all you guys an awful lot! Summer that's not jammed with DSO is not quite what I think of as summer.  Darkness falls, seasons change, but we will still have a full car coming out to MT and WY in a few weeks (so, its more like a month, but calling it "weeks" seems to make it seem sooner, which has to be better....) so even though we can't come to Cali this year, I feel like my same old friends the wind and rain have been calling to me, so maybe a promising new career will blossom over the next few weeks and I will get hired at the dharma retreat center and be able to save all my money for extensive treks out to DSO... if all goes well I will put a deposit on Jamaica before you can say "30th birthday DSO vacation!"

kiss kiss, friends, may you all be headlights!

• 3 years later...

Archived