Furthur 2014 hiatus!

Alabama Getaway

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but Bobby is more of a liability musically.

I love these types of comments....at 66 Weir is better than most people at their jobs.  Not to mention he had a big hand in the creative mojo and arc of arguably the best American Rock Band of the 20th Century...There is no DS0 without the existence of Bob Weir.  Bob certainly does not need me to defend him, but comments like these are just  idiotic.  It's just my opinion but if you truly love DSO (as I do ) by definition you love Bob Weir.  He's responsible for 35 percent of the songs DSO plays on stage on a daily basis. 

Oh and I defintitely think DSO could pull a one offf at RED Rocks and have respectable attendance perhaps paired up with one other very good band for 5 or 6 hour show with an early start. Maybe with someone like Greensky or another band that has a solid following.  Also I think they would draw particularly well if they marketed in advance that they were recreating a Red Rocks show of the past.  Similar to what they did with Cornell. I would not say "which" show at Red Rocks as to to keep some element of surprise.

• Forum MVP

It's just not gonna happen. Sorry for your parade. And music is personal opinion. I love both bands but in my own opinion if I want the energy I think Further has a little more. And Bobby being a liability musically is just not true.

Alright....first of all, who the fuck are you to say what is possible and what is not possible? And then you say "music is personal opinion" and then "...being a liability musically is just not true" - don't your statements contradict each other here?

Dark Star RR will happen...maybe not next year....but It will...and I'll be there....and so will you.

Everyone comes to these show for different reasons. You like the crowd vibe....I am the crowd vibe. So are you...so make it. There are aspects of going to Furthur shows that I might like more than DSO but musically, for me, DSO blows the roof off. This is an opinion...I am not attached to it but It is the basis for my decisions concerning travel. For me, the soaring energy created on stage by DSO is unmatched, not even close. Furthur is cool, it's amazing those boys are still pulling it off. And I think they do a pretty good job. I don't fully prefer their approach to it but I respect the continued Evolution of the music. My feeling on it all is that the Dead peaked out in the late 70s and were never as good again. This ties straight into Jerry's use of Heroin. Once again, this is my opinion so don't freak out. DSO captures the balls-to-the-wall intensity of the eras of GD that I love.

What good does it do you or anyone to squash the dreams? Does it make you feel good? because I can't see why it would.

that all being said, I'm off to Berkeley tonight for three nights of Furthur. Going to be a big party, friends coming in from all over. I think their dedication is an amazing thing- so long as they don't become dogmatic about their beliefs. I, of course, have fallen prey to the same mistake. Just remember that there truly is no better or worse....no matter how strongly you feel about it. I've gotten shit for it before...I don't care if i'm a 'good deadhead'. Don't care about the labels, the baggage, I just love communally dancing. nuff said.

Probably not - I've always been a dreamer though. To each his own on band tastes.... I love Bobby and not tryin to hate but he's washed up by my standards - no matter how rich his history. 

I was in attendance at the Weir/Lesh/Russo acoustic performance for a smallish group at Lockn'  Bobby was great carrying the melody and most of the vocals.  If he is not what he once was, who of us in our 60's are, he was still was able to give all of us a great experience.  Sure, I think DSO is more vital and give an overall better show, but I don't ever miss a Furthur show if they are within a few hour drive. 

• Forum MVP

I had prepared a much more long-winded response to support my opinion but thought better of it.  Thank me later. 

If my criticism of Bob’s current abilities are an untouchable subject for some because of his role in the creation of music that has transcended generations and is now so much more than the sum of its parts - I apologize to you. I am a fan of the music that Bob was instrumental in creating and I dedicated my life (right or wrong) to following this sound and the community it engendered from 1988 until 1994. I’m also fully aware of the fact that there would be no DSO without Bob. Period.

Sufficed to say, Bob Weir is one of my heros and it's difficult to see his age cathcing up with him.  My comments were not an indictment of his contributions as a pioneer in the pantheon of GD history but merely to express why I'm having a harder time appreciating the quality of what Furthur's doing when compared to DSO.  That's all. 

Would you feel the same about DSO if Eaton was up there continually fooling with his gear, changing guitars, blowing lyrics, steppin on pedals, and otherwise producing tones that often don’t flow with the rest of the bands expression?  I wouldn't.  But because it's Bob Weir it's different?  Ok > your opinion.

I'm done making waves, happy?  Here's to someday:

red_rocks_trey.jpg

EDIT: Can the IT braintrust behind this board come up with a DSO RED Rocks emoticon?

:dsorocks:

Those are all fair points re: Bobby, but I have to say every time I have seen Weir in the last 5 years he has pretty much been on his game, and perhaps I overlook an occasional lyrical flub or musical misdiirection because I have so much respect for him. Having said that  I just think he still is pretty good.  He may not reach those levels too much anymore but a handful of years ago he came in to St. Louis on a scheduled Ratdog Tour stop shortly after Johnnie Johnson (St. Louis Legend and former Ratdog Keyboard) died.  He dedicated the show to  Johnnie. Weir's performance that night was one of the top 5 muscial performance I have seen in my lifetime and I'm 50 now.  I just love the guy...It's probably a fair point that maybe my admiration for his musical legacy and deep footprint in my musical DNA  clouds my judgment a bit.

• Forum VIP

I had prepared a much more long-winded response to support my opinion but thought better of it.  Thank me later. 

If my criticism of Bob’s current abilities are an untouchable subject for some because of his role in the creation of music that has transcended generations and is now so much more than the sum of its parts - I apologize to you. I am a fan of the music that Bob was instrumental in creating and I dedicated my life (right or wrong) to following this sound and the community it engendered from 1988 until 1994. I’m also fully aware of the fact that there would be no DSO without Bob. Period.

Sufficed to say, Bob Weir is one of my heros and it's difficult to see his age cathcing up with him.  My comments were not an indictment of his contributions as a pioneer in the pantheon of GD history but merely to express why I'm having a harder time appreciating the quality of what Furthur's doing when compared to DSO.  That's all. 

Would you feel the same about DSO if Eaton was up there continually fooling with his gear, changing guitars, blowing lyrics, steppin on pedals, and otherwise producing tones that often don’t flow with the rest of the bands expression?  I wouldn't.  But because it's Bob Weir it's different?  Ok > your opinion.

red_rocks_trey.jpg

EDIT: Can the IT braintrust behind this board come up with a DSO RED Rocks emoticon?

:dsorocks:

I love the line above about Bobby " fooling with his gear changing guitars, blowing lyrics, steppin on pedals, etc....THAT"S BOB WEIR and he has been that way since the beginning, and that is why we love him...he is confused yet makes magic...as he said once "sometimes you catch a bass other times its a catfish"......now the big difference today is no Jerry to cover for him... Jeff and JK do their best but sometimes we all feel bad for him. But make no mistake it happened in 87, 88, 89, 90, etc...its just not 2013. I love the passion in all the comments, thats why we all go....I do wish Booby would slow down going on the road and work out of TRI more , but again the road is where he is happy and its all he knows after almost 50 years ...wow think about that. 

I do not go see Furthur any more, its not my thing...I prefer DSO...thats not say I understand why people go...its just my choice...I still remember Bobby fans are people too....haha.....peace ...Dr. V

• Forum MVP

Night one at the Greek was a real success. Though the band sounded good tonight, good setlist. Chimenti and Russo absolutely killing it. round two tomorrow

Agreed.  I had a blast.  And I had a "throne" which if you're familiar with the Greek is real estate gold.

Furthur's sound can be choppy and uneven (for which many reasons speak to things that Tea has delineated upstream in this thread), but when they put together a coherent jam, or carve up a flowing trippy space, then make no mistake - there is power to be had, and in spades.  And these moments often flow on each other's heels.  For example, when Phil came in for the "gotta go to Tulsa" in Jack Straw the transition made me cringe.  But minutes later they were sending the Greek bowl into orbit with an incendiary closing jam.

Other high points included So Many Roads, always a JK tour de force, the spacey center segment in Unbroken Chain (how is it that for 4 years Furthur has continued to take that song more and more out there each and every time??), and a ripping 2nd jam in Fire.  There was no closing jam however, as it went straight into Rider.  At the end of night though, much of what made it a satisfying show for me is that there was no Weir-led Garcia ballad.  That is sad, not to mention a tenuous position, to feel like one is there dodging bullets.

As has been mentioned, one of Furthur's greatest assets is the crowd.  There is a sense of primal power at a venue like the Greek, filled with kind like-minded folks, when an explosive jams rocks the bowl.  This is something that DSO simply could not achieve, as it would require them to put 5,000 people in there for it to happen.  What a magical venue, especially on a perfect Berkeley night.  For me, it had been way too long...

China Cat->

Cassidy

The Wheel

So Many Roads

Jack Straw

Eyes of the World

Throwing Stones

Dark Star jam->

Terrapin Station

Unbroken Chain ->

The Other One ->

Mountains of the Moon

Scarlet Begonias ->

Fire on the Mountain ->

I Know You Rider

(Encore:)

Touch of Grey

• Forum MVP

ok, just to catch up really quick...... if stupid PRETTY LIGHTS can SELL OUT red rocks, I don't think DSO would have trouble filling the seats.  maybe not for 3 nights, but for one good night on the Rocks, all of CO+ would come out.  you east coasters are spoiled by there being so many of you and so many shows close by to see, but out here we do NOT fuck around when GD music comes around cause it doesn't as often so WE WILL BE THERE (and we is a pretty BIG WE).

seriously, a cover band could NEVER fill up red rocks, but THE band, DSO, CAN and WILL ;) i mean, DUH!

if you think diff, maybe you should think about how much this music is a part of your life (or not) and exactly what that means. DSO is not just some band that is doing what some dead guy started.... they are the torch holders of a lineage that has changed and is still changing the culture of America and DAMN the fat man would be happy to see em!

LOVE! KISS KISS, enjoy the Greek, Mango.

• Forum MVP

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA>>>>>>>>>>>>HA   I am not the only wave maker:}!!!!!  Such heated discourse among fellow GD lovers:}

I can honestly say, and would put Vegas odds that there is not any frequent board member on here that does not love cherish and idolize in some fashing Bobby.   No way.   GD means to much.    But Furthur has slowed down compared to GD, maybe not 95, but I did not hear bobby messing up to much than.  

I enjoyed interlocken...locken, but I danced hard all nights,...only to Furthur, and some after shows:}...  Bob did mess up a lot first night.   Second night, he was good.  Third night I danced, but I still stopped at times when Bob made the big mistakes.  I cried when I heard Jerry do it too!!!!   Being younger, many times, well some, I yelled, lay of the H, please!!!!   Remember one time some hiippy chick, I thought was pissed, came up and hugged me after yelling that!!!  I still dance my ass offl, and I always do to GD.  But my dance only goes as far as the music.  No alternative enhancements change that.....I promise. 

DSO, first time I head them, and several months, I join these boards, I shared with TR that DSO in RFK./Giants in 10 years!!!   Red rocks, fuck,, only a couple.  It will hit.  This I know.  These guys bring it on like the ears love it.  Have listened to decades of the music, so have many of you, but I can say.....opinion......DSO brings much more energy.

However, I never once got video taped, to my knowledge at Interlocken.   I get filmed and funny pics taking of me all the time at DSO.   Needless to say,,,,,,,,i am too am the energy that makes people feel ok to move with the music.   I got two pics sent to me from Interlocken.    I  helped my dnace area love the sound through motion.    But......many around me were not feeling it.   So far, Black Mountain has been the closest I have seen as far as energy and dance.    930 has energy, but the dance sucks.  Jerry always belived in the dancing feet!!

I hope you guys all find that this is all subjective.  I love DSO, but still critique them as I feel.    Got a response, not so perfect from my favorite band member over 2nd night of performance.   Well....it is subjective, and feel and write as I do.  I hope you all can do the same with out retribution.   We all love Bobby, but after the daisy dukes shorter than daisy, and the pink polo colar up!!!   Come on, there is always a teas guy in the band!!!  

Everyone here loves bobby, and everyone here, has listened to enough years of music to know what they like.   I enjoyed interlocken, but fist night bobby, was sad.    My dance stopped many times for a shake of the head.  More out of sadness.  I miss seeing Bobys enthusatic package, and we love him as much as many others.  Some of our most intimate moments, have been with bobby singing in the background.  

Hope you all enjoy this discourse about further and DSO.  Its healthy, it keeps us loving GD!!!!!    Just be kind and understanding we all love the same thing, but perhaps with different approaches!!!!    Need not fight a enemy who is really a friend. 

Peace.....DSO will eventually bring themselves into the bigger venues.   Actually, if they had me marketing for them, they would nearly be their, as they are my passion now

• Forum MVP

"I can honestly say, and would put Vegas odds that there is not any frequent board member on here that does not love cherish and idolize in some fashing Bobby."

I'll see if I can get that included as one of the prop bets for the Super Bowl, but I think you are right, sir.

Now, as for Bobby's "enthusiastic package" - I'm not gonna touch that one...

• Forum MVP

Thanks for the morning laughter island and chuck. Tough past couple family days:( so the humor worth its weight in gold. Sorry for a lot incoherent in my last post. Phone typing with zans does not always produce clarity in my expressions!!! But well worth it for the last two messages. Nothing left to do but smile smile:)

• Forum MVP

ok, just to catch up really quick...... if stupid PRETTY LIGHTS can SELL OUT red rocks, I don't think DSO would have trouble filling the seats.  maybe not for 3 nights, but for one good

seriously, a cover band could NEVER fill up red rocks, but THE band, DSO, CAN and WILL ;) o.

For the east coasters we will charter a flight for DSO RED ROCKS and will easily phil a plane or 5!!!

Personally DSO is a cover band like new York symphony orchestra, or the phillharmonic of London. There is a point that classical works of music are reporformed by the best, and deserve that recognition.

DSO, NO MORE A COVER BAND THAN GD PLAYING marty robbins, Johnny Cash, or Dillion. I know u rider was not an original either. Can you think of how many more Gd songs were covers. Good love, baby blue, queen jane...its all over now. Many more knowledge out in forums than me, so u can think of plenty more covrr songs Gd play.

Anyone here c GD as a cover band? ThT is the only thing that has ever erked me on forums. DSO a cover band. Each performance an original thouhg setlist are followed. I hate phone typing sure yall get my point...toodles

• Forum MVP

i talked to a lady when i first got into DSO and she was the only person that ever gave me a slightly satisfactory answer to why she didn't go see DSO.... she said the GD were the best cover band ever so she had no need to go.  I like it.

bobby fans are people too but the brent ladies have always been more fun to be around....... hehehe.

"I can honestly say, and would put Vegas odds that there is not any frequent board member on here that does not love cherish and idolize in some fashing Bobby."

I'll see if I can get that included as one of the prop bets for the Super Bowl, but I think you are right, sir.

Now, as for Bobby's "enthusiastic package" - I'm not gonna touch that one...

not sure if i count as a frequent poster but no Bobby for me. i didn't mind a BTW,  Desolation Row, Me + Bobby Mcgee, etc, but no thank you on the whole package - no pun intended

i talked to a lady when i first got into DSO and she was the only person that ever gave me a slightly satisfactory answer to why she didn't go see DSO.... she said the GD were the best cover band ever so she had no need to go.  I like it.

bobby fans are people too but the brent ladies have always been more fun to be around....... hehehe.

to call the boys a cover band is ridiculous. and you sure (I'm assuming you're a Brent lady-whatever that might be) have a high opinion of yourself :)

• Forum MVP

to call the boys a cover band is ridiculous. and you sure (I'm assuming you're a Brent lady-whatever that might be) have a high opinion of yourself :)

And we all should have high opinions of ourselves!! This world is filled with enogh people to bring us down...and keep kicking when u fall. U should see yourself in hifh regards...self esteem and success in beliving and knowing your great is part of GD'S MEssage.

Archived