Furthur 2014 hiatus!

Alabama Getaway

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Hello good people of the DSO boards. 

Hope this shout out finds each and every one of you well.

REAL good last show at the Greek, at least to my ears.

Word is that the second set with Branford was the best set Furthur 1.0 has done thus far, for whatever that's worth.

Hope to be able to see some of you in 3d at the Fillmore--not sure which one I will be able to attend but hopefully one.

Cheers everyone !

:)

• Forum MVP

Hey Stone!  Good to see your post :)  The Zone is strong with this one.....

Got through the Eleven on the stream last night before the EST caught up with me.  Don't be a stranger...

• Advisory Board

Would you feel the same about DSO if Eaton was up there fooling with his gear, changing guitars, blowing lyrics, steppin on peddles....

You mean he doesn't? Guess I must be hearing/seeing shit that isn't happening... lol...

• Forum MVP

I had prepared a much more long-winded response to support my opinion but thought better of it.  Thank me later. 

If my criticism of Bob’s current abilities are an untouchable subject for some because of his role in the creation of music that has transcended generations and is now so much more than the sum of its parts - I apologize to you. I am a fan of the music that Bob was instrumental in creating and I dedicated my life (right or wrong) to following this sound and the community it engendered from 1988 until 1994. I’m also fully aware of the fact that there would be no DSO without Bob. Period.

Sufficed to say, Bob Weir is one of my heros and it's difficult to see his age cathcing up with him.  My comments were not an indictment of his contributions as a pioneer in the pantheon of GD history but merely to express why I'm having a harder time appreciating the quality of what Furthur's doing when compared to DSO.  That's all. 

Would you feel the same about DSO if Eaton was up there continually fooling with his gear, changing guitars, blowing lyrics, steppin on pedals, and otherwise producing tones that often don’t flow with the rest of the bands expression?  I wouldn't.  But because it's Bob Weir it's different?  Ok > your opinion.

I'm done making waves, happy?  Here's to someday:

red_rocks_trey.jpg

EDIT: Can the IT braintrust behind this board come up with a DSO RED Rocks emoticon?

:dsorocks:

Tea, I concur completely. These types of "arguments" are ultimately futile for the reasons you delineated. I was reminded of Weir's brilliance when I attended the local screening of "Sunshine Daydream". Clearly he is a legend. It's just that I have little interest in attending present day Weir shows. Easy for me to say having banked 35 or so GD shows during the '80's, and subsequently 50+ DSO shows.  For those younger folks who didn't have that privilage, it's awesome that Weir is still out there carrying the torch.

• Forum MVP

Would you feel the same about DSO if Eaton was up there fooling with his gear, changing guitars, blowing lyrics, steppin on peddles....

You mean he doesn't? Guess I must be hearing/seeing shit that isn't happening... lol...

LOL Herd! 

Hey > Maybe it's Rob just doing his best Bobby impression when they're re-creating, right?  It never happens during originals..... :)

• Forum MVP

The modern day Weir can definitely be a frustrating experience, there's little doubt about that.

And for a myriad of reasons: tempo, song selection, volume and tone being some of them.

That last example is probably one of the hardest to take, although I remember people complaining about his tone starting at around '87.

I'm also reminded of an interview Brent did when he was asked about Weir's songwriting that I've probably talked about here years ago. Brent said that he asked Bob a question that went something like this:

"(Hey Bob) how come you put a note in that place when another note would fit perfectly in there, and go much better?" Brent said that Weir told him that THAT was his signature. That that made it his. That anyone could use that other note.

Obviously, Weir was talking about originality and it's my bet that if one of his good friends asked him about the tone he's getting from his guitar at times, he would probably answer in a similar vein. And probaly with the other things too.  It's only a guess but to me, that's where I think he's coming from.

I still go check out Furthur from time to time (I saw the Fri and Sun shows at the Greek). And while it's much more of a roll of the dice with this band verses other bands (because of the X factor which is now Weir) the payback on a good night is still there, at least for me.

I saw two of the Sweetwater shows and on one of them, I caught Weir on a great night where he was playing such creative guitar, leading the band in some really inventive ways at points. He was singing great and playing well and it was pretty awesome. Same thing happened, to a lesser degree in a Weir sense, on Sunday at the Greek.

The modern day Weir is especially difficult for many and I think, speaking for me at least, hard because of how much I adore him as a musician with the GD for most of their tenure. I don't use the past tense of that verb because I listen to them all the time (at ear splitting volume!) and am brought to my knees at points to some of his guitar playing and lifted to the ski at points with some of his vocals. So there are times, like after the Sunday Greek show, where I almost feel as though I don't want to roll the dice any longer with him because I want to go out on a high note, because of how much I love the guy as a musician. Having said that, I seem to always be drawn back, probably because of the possibilities.

I'm not sure what this post was trying to accomplish cept for getting some of my feelings out (a valid reason to post?), but this modern day Weir thing is definitely a tricky issue for lots of folks, and we all handle it in different ways . I think for those of us who saw him many times with the GD, it's even harder and for those of you who saw him tons early on in the 70's, it's probably even more difficult. Or not, I'm not sure. Maybe it just has to do with the person and the GD thing doesn't have as big an influence as I'm suggesting.

In the end though, I think it comes down to him wanting to be true to himself. So ultimately, for me, I take the strange stuff with the good stuff and, so far, I find myself still going back.

• Forum MVP

So ultimately, for me, I take the strange stuff with the good stuff and, so far, I find myself still going back.

Agreed, I consider myself a tolerant music enthusiast. To me watching Weir play these days is kinda like watching one of my kids play a sport they love. Even if my kid is not the star of the team, I get great joy watching them smile and laugh and be intense. My love for what Weir has meant in my life makes me proud of him and proud of his initiative to continue doing what he loves. 

If this doesn't make you melt and fall in love Weir all over again your heart is made of charcoal. It's one of those "possibilities" DStone mentions in his post above. http://www.tristudios.com/videos/bob-weir-black-throated-wind

• Forum MVP

Since I was screwing around on Weir's TRI studio site to get the link for above post, I couldn't help but browse around. 

All I can say about this is........ Holy......Fucking........Shit....... One of my favorites played in one of the coolest arrangements i've ever heard!!

http://www.tristudios.com/videos/fog-bob-weir-china-doll

Its kinda sad if you think about it. But the more I hear peoples thoughts on the whole situation, the more im learning from it.

The fact that we are discussing Bob's good and bad days makes me realize how special the Dead, and what they truly meant to people really was.

This might sound selfish, but I want my last DSO show to be just as good as my first was. And if its not, I want to be able to accept and understand the differences.

• Forum MVP

to clarify..... I was referencing awesome ladies I have met on the road touring (many of them are Bobby girls and many of them are Brent girls- ya'll know what I mean, here, come on.) I myself don't consider myself ANYONE's "girl" as I think my constant change in partnership makes clear.  I think the main diff has to do with ERA and age, of course, as Bobby girls span generations and the Brent girls are era specific phenomena and are HIGHLY FUCKING AWESOME for some reason- maybe they learned it there towards the end and had LOTS of teachers so they are really WITH IT..... so that was what I meant.  Bobby girls are hard to pin down, as I said, they span generations and are generally amazing as well, just a lil different than the Brent girls and you can tell, that's what is kind of funny about it and why I made this silly categorically untrue statement that I have observed.

I think it is funny that people bitch about specific members or idolize specific members of the Grateful Dead.  I mean, other than Jerry, cause we all see him in the rainbows, clouds, trees, and whatever else our kaleidoscope gaze happens upon. I get that.  But it doesn't go both ways even with Jerry, you just aren't culturally allowed to say anything but positive things about him.  Not that this is bad, it is just an observation.  I have been very amused by many posts here and elsewhere in deadland that poke fun at various members cause that's what it is all about, but those that meanly just bitch all the time don't seem so well received.  Hmmmm, def know that from experience! 

anyways, I hope the break is good for all so that this music can go on and on and on.....

meanwhile I will do what I have been doing since I saw furthur and dso 30 times each their first year and GO SEE DSO (and JKBand now that it could be a viable option, which I hope it is.)

kiss kiss!

• Forum MVP

Jerry was a dope junkie and by his own daughter's estimation a terrible father. Not all rainbows

Harshest Jerry story, IMO: after being more like a father to Keelin than any of his older 3 daughters, he left one evening, ostensibly to get a pack of cigarettes, and never came back.  He dispatched one of his lackeys to tell Manasha.  And - this is just too brutal to even believe - he never saw Keelin again, despite living 3 or 4 more years.  Jesus.

Okay, that's enough...back to rainbows and roses.  Oh, and some Weir bashing too. ;)

• Forum MVP

For me, I don't ever really confuse someone's music with someone's personality.  Yeah, it's nice when the musician you love seems to be a cool person, but to me, it's pretty irrelevant because we are in the 'not knowing' position, no matter what stories we hear, assuming we don't know them intimately. 

My guess, and it's only a guess, is that Garcia (who was seemingly a pretty cool person in many respects) would have been the first person to admit  he was a bad father and a bad husband.  And to my way of thinking, being a bad father is pretty unforgivable but that's me and the other is the private life Garcia chose to lead.  I love Garcia the musician, just like I love Neil Young the musician, and there is plenty to criticize for both musically speaking if one wanted to, but it's my opinion that someone's music and someone's personality or private life are diametrically isolated from one another.  I've always felt this way about the musicians I love.

If I learned that some musician I adore was a Nazi or something of the sort...then I'd have some thinking to do.

• Forum MVP

Of course he was a not so great dad......the bad ass was too busy giving us the sounds we love, & being a father to tens of thousand other people!! Sometimes the bakers kids go hungry:(

Jerry taught me some things my dad did not.....

Dope addict.....sorry Jerry...we all have our fixes in life....sorry urs was more public...I imagine it was difficult being the leader of the band.

Its tough to judge personal life, when the man's existance touched so many in such positive ways. Its sad, but I do know artist who can not produce their best art unless on some opiate:(

I always thought jerry was very open in his music. " I'd rather be here with you"!!! Hard to be there for two families..and he told us which family he prefered. Might be a foreign idea to most of us, but than again how many of us touched so many lives with as much life changing impact?

Oh yea

Bobby is still alive, try to not speak ill of the dead:)

to clarify..... I was referencing awesome ladies I have met on the road touring (many of them are Bobby girls and many of them are Brent girls- ya'll know what I mean, here, come on.) I myself don't consider myself ANYONE's "girl" as I think my constant change in partnership makes clear.  I think the main diff has to do with ERA and age, of course, as Bobby girls span generations and the Brent girls are era specific phenomena and are HIGHLY FUCKING AWESOME for some reason- maybe they learned it there towards the end and had LOTS of teachers so they are really WITH IT..... so that was what I meant.  Bobby girls are hard to pin down, as I said, they span generations and are generally amazing as well, just a lil different than the Brent girls and you can tell, that's what is kind of funny about it and why I made this silly categorically untrue statement that I have observed.

I think it is funny that people bitch about specific members or idolize specific members of the Grateful Dead.  I mean, other than Jerry, cause we all see him in the rainbows, clouds, trees, and whatever else our kaleidoscope gaze happens upon. I get that.  But it doesn't go both ways even with Jerry, you just aren't culturally allowed to say anything but positive things about him.  Not that this is bad, it is just an observation.  I have been very amused by many posts here and elsewhere in deadland that poke fun at various members cause that's what it is all about, but those that meanly just bitch all the time don't seem so well received.  Hmmmm, def know that from experience! 

anyways, I hope the break is good for all so that this music can go on and on and on.....

meanwhile I will do what I have been doing since I saw furthur and dso 30 times each their first year and GO SEE DSO (and JKBand now that it could be a viable option, which I hope it is.)

kiss kiss!

Can't talk to you without talking to me

We're guilty of the same old thing

Thinking a lot about less and less

And forgetting the love we bring

• Forum MVP

I don't think accepting his flaws and understanding that Jerry had his shortcoming detract from his greatness. It makes him an even more awe inspiring character that he persevered despite his flaws. It makes him easier to relate with and connect with. His flaws help in the delivery of his song and message.

Archived