Your favorite non-Dead shows you attended

Rude

• Forum MVP

I'm curious to see what some of your favorite or random shows you have ever attended.

No order to these at all. My top 5 would be my 5 dead shows lol.

1. Nirvana in Akron OH 1994 was pretty sick.

2. Tool in 2002 Nashville. Had no clue about them and had free tix and those 3 guys blew my mind.

3. DSO 2-2011 Chicago. My 1st DSO show. Got the fever.

4. Saw the Cult at a private show of 100 people in 2001 in Nashville. That was amazing. Working at a radio station had its perks.

5. Rolling Stones steel wheel tour in 1989 in Louisville. 17 yrs old and drinking beer in an overnight line of 5k peeps for tickets was a blast.

6. Metallica in 1991 Carbondale IL. Fun time. Went with about 20 friends.

7. Skid row and pantera 1991 Evansville IN. Smoked up with both bands backstage after the show. Their managers taxi was late and he asked us for a ride to the venue in exchange for backstage passes.

Those aren't my fav shows of all time but tossed in some obscure stuff lol

• Forum MVP

Heres a few:

Pink Floyd > September 23, 1987 > Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour > Toronto, Canada

Peter Gabriel > July 10, 1993 > Secret World Tour > Rodemont Horizon

Aerosmith > December 5, 1986 > Guns -n- Roses Opened > Joe Louis Arena, Detroit

Neil Young > September 22, 1992 > Greek Theatre > Solo Acoustic

• Forum MVP

1st concert. 1987ish approx 10 yrs old. Wierd Al opens for the monkees. MC hammer knew how to get it started circa '92ish at 14. Jimmy Buffet at deercreek was an all ages drunkfest. Pretty fun. Saw some dave matthews tom petty and allman bros incarnations that were good. Hank jr and charlie daniels, merle, BB king, willie, Dylan and saw Ric Flair cheat to beat hulk hogan in a razor wire cage. Wooooooo

Willie Nelson

Jerry Jeff Walker / Jimmy Buffett

Pink Floyd

Little Feat

Dire Straits

Jethro Tull

These come to mind today could be different tomorrow order can change at any given moment.

Worst show ever without a doubt: Motley Crue!!!

• Forum MVP

Heres a few:

Pink Floyd > September 23, 1987 > Momentary Lapse of Reason Tour > Toronto, Canada

How did u travel to those shows b4 u were even 16? Super cool parents? My parents let me drive to Louisville at 17 to get Rolling Stones tix b/c I had to get them a pair as well lol.

• Forum MVP

Edgar Winter Group (Brownsville Station opened)  - circa '76 (I was 11 y.o.......my first concert......immediately hooked!)

Talking Heads - '84 (Stop Making Sense)

B-52's  - '84 (the liquid really helped this one!)

Dave Brubeck Quartet - '83

Buddy Rich Band - '79

Pretenders - '84 (Learning to Crawl)

Boston - '79

Molly Hatchett - '79 (more epic than you may think)

so many others, but that's a start......

• Forum MVP

Heres a few:

How did u travel to those shows b4 u were even 16? Super cool parents?

Older brothers + Tired parents :)

• Forum MVP

Willie Nelson

Jerry Jeff Walker / Jimmy Buffett

Pink Floyd

Little Feat

Dire Straits

Jethro Tull

These come to mind today could be different tomorrow order can change at any given moment.

Worst show ever without a doubt: Motley Crue!!!

Hey now TR!  Oh man...Dire Straits!  Mark Knoeffler could really bring the heat - that was indeed one of the better shows I've seen. 

I'm afraid to admit I saw them, but the worst live performance I've ever seen:  Nickelback.  Ugh.  The things we do to try and get laid....EPIC FAIL.

• Forum MVP

That was you're problem. If she likes nickleback, I probably wouldn't wanna sleep with her. I hope it worked at least and she was cute.

I like this thread. Allman Brothers. Eric Clapton. Roger Walters. I've seen a few memorable phish shows but really its all DSO with a couple ratdog, Phil and friends, and furthur shows thrown in. Govt mule has impressed me before. I enjoyed Dylan with my dad but the show was pretty weak.

This thread has sparked my memory. Talking Heads in Portland, ME 1982 comes to mind, as does Jethro Tull at Red Rocks 1988 (first time going to a concert solo). I saw Albert Collins and Koko Taylor at a little Roadhouse Bar in N. Boulder (separate billings) ~1986. I could hear ringing for weeks after Collins (of course, it may have been due to proximity of my head to speaker).  Also, Stones Steel Wheels tour in New Orleans. We drove from Boulder, and I got two speeding tickets in TX: 1 on way there, 1 on way back to Boulder. Those bit me later in life...

My first concert was prolly most anticipated: J. Geils at Cape Cod Coliseum 1977. MY GF's mom drove us in their red Gran Torino 4 on the floor. She looked the other way when we put our Michelob minis (8 oz?) in the back seat! I saw a concert at CCC almost every Sat. during the Summer of '80. Good Times!! It WAS a dump. Dirt parking lot, hotter than hell, condensate dripping on you, terrible acoustics. I didn't know then, so it was all good. Great Thread!

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

This thread has sparked my memory. Talking Heads in Portland, ME 1982 comes to mind, as does Jethro Tull at Red Rocks 1988 (first time going to a concert solo). I saw Albert Collins and Koko Taylor at a little Roadhouse Bar in N. Boulder (separate billings) ~1986. I could hear ringing for weeks after Collins (of course, it may have been due to proximity of my head to speaker). Also, Stones Steel Wheels tour in New Orleans. We drove from Boulder, and I got two speeding tickets in TX: 1 on way there, 1 on way back to Boulder. Those bit me later in life...

My first concert was prolly most anticipated: J. Geils at Cape Cod Coliseum 1977. MY GF's mom drove us in their red Gran Torino 4 on the floor. She looked the other way when we put our Michelob minis (8 oz?) in the back seat! I saw a concert at CCC almost every Sat. during the Summer of '80. Good Times!! It WAS a dump. Dirt parking lot, hotter than hell, condensate dripping on you, terrible acoustics. I didn't know then, so it was all good. Great Thread!

:dsorocks:

My 1st concert was cheap trick at like 10 years old. My granddad took me to see them. I still remember that 2 neck guitar. I'm guessing their total show lasted like 50 minutes lol.

Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick Tour - Nassau Colliseum 1972

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here Tour - Nassau Colliseum 1975

ABB - Telluride 7/90, Santa Fe 8/92, Red Rocks 2004

PLQ - 10/24/00, 7/4/01, 5/24/02, 5/26/02

DSO - Fox-Boulder 2005, 10/09/11 (CO Springs)

Clapton/Winwood - Phoenix 6/09

• Forum MVP

Top 10--

The Who at the Rosemont Horizon, Chicago 1982

Stevie Ray Vaughan at Alpine Valley, Wisconsin 1990

Johnny Cash at the Frost, Palo Alto 1995

Bob Dylan at the Warfield, San Francisco 1995

Tom Waits at the Paramount Theater, Oakland 1996

Neil and Crazy Horse at the Old Princeton Landing Bar, Half Moon Bay 1997 (9 shows !)

Lou Reed at the Berkley Community Theater, Berkeley 1999

Richard Thompson at the Fillmore, San Francisco 2003

Stevie Wonder at the Paramount Theater, Oakland 2005

Patti Smith at the Hardly Strictly Music Festival, Golden Gate Park 2010

• Forum MVP

Top 10--

The Who at the Rosemont Horizon, Chicago 1982

Stevie Ray Vaughan at Alpine Valley, Wisconsin 1990

Johnny Cash at the Frost, Palo Alto 1995

Bob Dylan at the Warfield, San Francisco 1995

Tom Waits at the Paramount Theater, Oakland 1996

Neil and Crazy Horse at the Old Princeton Landing Bar, Half Moon Bay 1997 (9 shows !)

Lou Reed at the Berkley Community Theater, Berkeley 1999

Richard Thompson at the Fillmore, San Francisco 2003

Stevie Wonder at the Paramount Theater, Oakland 2005

Patti Smith at the Hardly Strictly Music Festival, Golden Gate Park 2010

Jesus Stone! Some hallmark shows amongst that docket. Choice.

• Advisory Board

Simon and Garfunkel - MCI Center - Washington, DC - 2002

Tom Petty - Nissan Pavillion - Bristow, VA - 2005

Phish - Cap Center - Landover, MD 1995

Metallica - Nissan Pavillion - Bristow, VA - 1997

Michael Franti - McDonald Theater - Eugene, OR - 2007

Donovan Frankenreiter - The Funk Box, Baltimore, MD - 2003

Pretty Lights - The LC - Columbus, OH - 2012

Roger Waters - Susquehanna Bank Center - Camden, NJ 2008

The Word - JamCruise - Caribbean Sea - 2009

• Forum MVP

Gosh darn you for seeing tom waits. Are you seeing him at the bipridge school benefit later this month?

Going to try to get back from NYC in time to catch that.  The instant this Waits' quote hit the air waves--

"I had every good intention to stay home and work on my JD Salinger Halloween mask, but when Neil told me yesterday he was serving burnt cow's eyes on a flat tire and it's all gluten free, I invited myself!

--that Sunday ticket became a very hot one and has everyone scrambling like crazy.  I've seen him perform at the Bridge before and it was pretty special and you just know it's going to be again.

• Forum MVP

Jesus Stone! Some hallmark shows amongst that docket. Choice.

In terms of singers, that Stevie Wonder show in Oakland was pretty hard to believe.  I've never seen anyone like that in terms of voices, it was kind pretty unreal.

And Patti Smith also has that same kind of power. 

Two of the great vocalists I've ever seen.

• Forum MVP

John Prine (5-6 times, but one at spirit square theatre with his son, circa 2003)

Dave Grisman Quintet (5-6 times, but one at great aunt Stella center - old converted church in downtown Charlotte, sitting in pews - seemed appropriate, circa 1996)

Stevie Ray, Taj Mahal, BB King - blues on the rocks, red rocks, 1988

Neil young, solo acoustic, red rocks 1989

Little feat, base of beaver creek mountain, avon, co with about 500 people, 1988

Doc Watson, in a tent with about 75 people at Merlefest, N.Wilksboro, nc circa 1991

Iron maiden, number of the beast tour, Charlotte, 1984 or 85 an absolute spectacle.

Stephen stills, neighborhood theatre, Charlotte circa 2008

As TR said, that's my list today....

Archived