NITROUS OXIDE-whats the deal?

MY UNCLE

• Forum MVP

some people want to raise and clarify their consciousness, and some want to just get fuck up. Simply to change the way they feel out of lack of pleasure from life. Drug users and non drug users exist in both categories.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never passed out at the supermarket, however I did on more than one occasion pop the top off a Redi-Whip can. 

I was a hospital Corpsmen in the Navy.  At one of the hospitals I was stationed at they stored the empty tanks on the loading dock.  When the tanks were to low for use in surgery they still had quite a bit in them.  One night I thought I would take a little whiff, just a little buzz!  So I carefully removed the cap from one, placed it gently on the steel rack holding the tanks.  Not a sound.  I hooked my arm around the rack and cracked the valve, just a little bit.  Suddenly the dead quiet was shattered!  The cap had fallen from rack crashed to the loading dock rolled and crashed to the parking lot and was rolling merrily on it's way clanging lustily directly in front of the hospital.  I discovered later that I, apparently, had inhaled a little more than I thought - I had abrasions from the crook of my arm to my wrist.

Last thought - people in glass houses shouldn't get stoned.  Oops I mean throw stones.

I've yet to have a negative experience with a nitrous vendor. And as far as I'm concerned, as long as they follow the rules of a civilized transaction (no scams, intimidation, or violence) they have as much a right as anyone else providing a service or product to make a buck off the scene.

To say you MUST be into the scene in order to profit from it is silly. You could be excluding everyone from taxi drivers looking for fares to the owners of the venue you just saw the band play at, if you insist on that criteria.

I agree Scott. I also believe we as a community have a right to urge those around us to behave accordingly. Just because I have the right to yell doesn't mean I should or it is the right thing to do.

I think this sums it up. I don't think anyone is trying to police what each person does at the show, just that it needs to be done right and keep with the spirit an vibe of the people who are at the show. Promote a positive vibe!

• Forum MVP

I agree Scott. I also believe we as a community have a right to urge those around us to behave accordingly. Just because I have the right to yell doesn't mean I should or it is the right thing to do.

I think this sums it up. I don't think anyone is trying to police what each person does at the show, just that it needs to be done right and keep with the spirit an vibe of the people who are at the show. Promote a positive vibe!

Well said.

Ducats, you bring up a good point, but I think historically its been proven relevant that sometimes the minority needs to speak up and help direct the course of the majority.  The majority are not always right.  True democracy is not an ideal form of government.  The minority that remember to respect this music, each other, and the Earth need to remind the majority who have forgotten.  I believe it was Edmund Burke that stated "the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing."

i gaurantee in Burke's mind evil could never be the majority

some people want to raise and clarify their consciousness, and some want to just get fuck up. Simply to change the way they feel out of lack of pleasure from life. Drug users and non drug users exist in both categories.

if the latter category includes non-users how do they get fucked up?

Nitrous at the dentist is totally different cuz he has two tanks one oxygen & one nitrous going through your mask. First you breath pure oxygen for a min. Then he slowly increases the nitrous and blends the two together. That's why you can get off for 30 minutes at a time. The balloons you take a single breath and after a minute your done.

I really like nitrous, and other dissociatives for that matter. But I don't do it at concerts because of the sketchiness that does go in certain circles.

And as far as health effects go, it is very safe. It is just a simple NMDA receptor antagonist. The danger comes with impure gases like in certain industrial tanks or crackers. Chronic (daily) use can cause vitamin B deficiencies. And people freeze their lungs because they don't know how to do it.

I'm actually surprised that their aren't more people dying from tanks flying across the lot or exploding. Pressurized tanks like that are very dangerous, especially in the hands of intoxicated and irresponsible people.

Homemade Nitrous Recipe*    

Do ten deep knee bends

exhale

clap cupped hands over ears

*as with authentic NO2 it is recommended to have a spotter.

Skipped school in 8th grade and did this exact thing. I think we called it a Hypo (hyperventilating?). Well, no one was ready (spotting), or anticipating the result: I fell into the doorway woodwork, and woke up in a puddle of blood-completely knocked out w/ huge gash on top of head. Had to call ambulance to go to hospital. Pretty sure I didn't even get caught skipping!!

• Forum MVP

if the latter category includes non-users how do they get fucked up?

drugs aren't the only thing that change the way you feel. then again, I don't really feel like getting in the discussion of what is a drug and what is not..and what it even means to "get fucked up"...I try to accept all paths to enjoyment the best I can, but it is my preference to be fully engaged in the show and to be with people who are also fully engaged. Elevates the whole experience. No judgement of other behaviors just know what I like. And don't fuck with my crew(guy from Penn's peak, if you're reading this.... :rofl: )....fortunately, I usually never see people doing balloons inside the show.

• Forum MVP

The current crop of vendors are neither inexperienced or intoxicated. They have a crew of guys with secret service type ear pieces with spotters looking for cops with several replacement tanks hidden. The guy filling the balloons never stops. They gas flows constantly. There's no worry about losing gas. They are organized well and from the ones I saw at the Panic show they obviously are not heads. They are thugs.

Lively topic or maybe Deadly topic. I have had many experiences with many drugs, many of them were taken repeatedly for spiritual enlightenment. I will never deny that the 500+ lsd trips or 200+ times a year for a 10 year period of my life taking mushrooms has given me a different, beneficial perspective on life that I still carry with me today. I believe Alcohol, Speed and the fewer –25 times of excessive Nitrous use was the most mentally destructive causing permanent brain damage. Injecting Cocaine and Heroin for many years was the most dangerous and potentially deadly experiences I have had in my life both from overdose and dangerous activities to obtain more.

With this being said, I believe the most dangerous and deadly threat to the Dead way of life, scene, this thing of ours, or any other labels you can think of is the abuse of non enlightening drugs that distract from the harmonious communion of the spirit through a very special experience that I call the Dead experience. Along with the aforementioned threat are the people that prey on the scene. I have no problem with people making money from the sale of clothes, food, stickers, jewelry or any other goods that are for the enhancement of what is good. When I see the Nitrous people, the miracle people (the ones with a pocketful of money with their finger in the air trying to get a free ticket at EVERY show) or the drunk fist pumping college kids at shows (yeah I know, you west coasters don’t have to tell me you don’t have that kind of stuff where you live) I see a decline that at one point in my life I couldn't overlook and I stayed away from Dead shows for a year or two.

The problem is never the assholes in the world it’s how I respond to them!

Wherever people are in their journey is where they are and I despise some, have great empathy for some, am indifferent to some and love and respect many regardless of what choices they make in their lives.

As a side note I have not taken any mind or mood altering substances stronger than espresso in many years and have been blessed to the point of bliss from the music at most shows I go to today.

• Forum MVP

I love DSO family.  You guys are so kind and pretty much just plain get it.  You get that having a tank at home with your friends (or whatever it is you have) is your own biz, but that once we enter the scene and go to the show we are all there to make each other have the best night ever, bringing our best vibes (and drugs lol) to enhance the magic and share with one another.  

it is by far the organized crime aspect of the mafia that makes it so disgusting.  and all the fans that support them (which is why they show up and us dork stars can't seem to have success in running em off for good) really make me sad cause one minute you meet a cool stranger the next they are on the ground and that is disturbing.

buy patches and jewelry and stickers and tshirts, but don't buy gas! if I was to give advice about going to shows to people, that is pretty much the only thing I would tell them.  if you like gas, go get a medical tank it is cheaper, kills less brain cells (that food grade shit ya'll legalized out east is really gross and hurty!) and when you do it at home in a room of pillows no one gets hurt! (AND TANKS ARE really CHEAP!!!!!)  

even worse, I have chatted with some of the low level sellers and lots of em are immigrants and other super disadvantaged people who are roped into a gang-like/mafia-like experience and follow the "head guy" because their very LIVES depend on it.  I have trouble having compassion for the "boss man" in these scenarios cause he is little more than a slave driver, but the kids that work for em are pretty miserable and don't like what they are doing either and I think it does us as Dead heads a lot of harm to hate on them when they are in such an unfortunate position.  and even the boss man is just trying to help his own position and help those they care about in the only way they know how.  a lot of these people are blocked outta the mainstream economy and are just struggling like all of us.

oh yeah, and alcohol is sold IN THE VENUE and often is more destructive to the show vibe (a lil is good, lots is scary!) i like the idea of the venue selling the nitrous to destroy the mafia ness of it, though, cause like i said, its never the substance, its the intentions behind how that substance got there and how people treat it that do it.  have a nitrous lounge at shows on the east coast since some ppl there are SO ALL ABOUT IT (we don't have the same issue everywhere) so ppl can be cozy and happy and silly and love each other as they get all outta body.  sounds fun! lol

maybe soon the east coast will start legalizing the stuff we LIKE to do at shows, like we have here in colorado.  word of warning though: if a kid has x's on their hand for being under age, don't hand em your pipe, THAT is still illegal and will get your shit confiscated (devil makes three halloween was interesting....)

Exactly SVT.... we should not talk bad of them until we walk a mile in their shoes.They are just trying to make it in this crazy world...You're right. Ultimately we do not have to support them. The most convenient solution to a problem isn't always the best choice in the long run. Example

choosing fast food chains rather than supporting local farmers/businesses...sure its cheaper and more convenient, but the long term effects are far more devastating

Archived