"Grateful Dead" to tour in 2015?

Rude

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I do not call it ambitious .....

I call in positive thinking .... glass half full kind of thing ...

that is how I roll In life ..... and it seems to work ...

bing bang boom zing zang ... and a double giddyup !!

I'm a glass always full person myself. Have my cake and eat it too. Never really got that one. I mean who cares about having a cake u won't eat just lying around your house. I mean yes, your friends will all be so jealous with u having a cake. Maybe that was an expression in an area where cakes are rare. Maybe in very high elevations where it's hard to bake b/c cakes don't rise well. Maybe in Nepal owning a cake is like being royalty. Was this thread about cake jealousy. Well it is now!!

• Advisory Board

Touring with the name the "Grateful Dead" would be a travesty no matter who is in the band. Since Jerry left there has been no line up even remotely close. That name has been rightfully and respectfully retired.

The only person so far who has had what it takes to fill the massive role has been JK. Unfortunately he was not let to perform to his full ability, much to the harm of the band.

Any reunion giving homage to the name of the Grateful Dead without Billy or Mickey would make me sick. 

Give me a break.

Dr. B

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Touring with the name the "Grateful Dead" would be a travesty no matter who is in the band. Since Jerry left there has been no line up even remotely close. That name has been rightfully and respectfully retired.

The only person so far who has had what it takes to fill the massive role has been JK. Unfortunately he was not let to perform to his full ability, much to the harm of the band.

Any reunion giving homage to the name of the Grateful Dead without Billy or Mickey would make me sick. 

Give me a break.

Dr. B

Yep.

• Forum MVP

with all going on ....

why the heck did Mickey and Billy pick the Disco Biscuits to play with at the VIbes ??

From Rolling Stone interview:

Mickey Hart and Bill Kreutzmann had a few things to say about their upcoming collaboration with the Disco Biscuits at this year’s Gathering of the Vibes.

Kreutzmann, who is best known as the longtime drummer for the Grateful Dead, told Benjy Eisen of Rolling Stone that, “It’s going to get weird. It’s going to get far out. And it’s going to be something completely different…Exactly what all involved parties are known for.”

Hart also added that, “Any day playing drums with Bill is a very good day… The Disco Biscuits seem to prefer trance/space, moment music. Bill and I are quite familiar with the genre. Let the fun begin!”

Disco Biscuits keyboardist Aron Magner also highlighted the similarites between the Disco Biscuits and their musical forefathers, noting that, “though our music is quite different, the ethos is the same – both on the improvisational level as well as in the sense of community that our bands have created with our fans.”

I'm happy that they are going to be there - but really - The Disco Biscuits?!?  Some people like them but that band is SOLIDLY in the Novelty category for me.  SOLIDLY.

I'll say this > playing with the DB takes any and all pressure off of playing a trancendent performance with HUGE expectations.  Playin it safe and havin fun I guess.  To me it's just another wasted opportunity.  Just sayin.

To be clear > I'm coming at this solely from the desire to see former members add additional fuel to the flame that is the future of GD music.  They desire a different creative expression for GOTV.  To each their own - Not tryin to hate.

• Forum MVP

I'm going to agree with Dr. Barry. I do not want them to use the name grateful dead. Jerry was the grateful dead and using his legacy anymore than they already do to sell tickets would be an insult. Let the music stand on its own. No need for fancy nostalgia names.

• Forum MVP

Tea, your negative vibes are hashing my mellow. Stand down

Awwww, bless your heart found.  Apologies from the official "Negative Vibe Merchant" of the DSO forum community.

This will get your mellow back:

SPN_0311.jpg

Feel Better? :)

• Forum MVP

And oh ya. The Disco Shitkicks suck. And the community they speak of doesn't appear to be a community I want anything to do with. No respect for the land, their bodies, or their elders. Foster community. What a load shit. Give me a break.

• Forum MVP

Didn't say anything nasty about anyone either.  No names mentioned. I will be skipping the Vibes and seeing DSO as well.

Let's remember the KKK is a community too.  I wouldn't say anything nasty about those individuals either, but their community is ignorant.  

My two cents. The core four has every right to tour under the Moniker of the "Grateful Dead" whether a money motive is part of it or not.  It matters little to me if they do or if they don't but they certainly have earned their keep on this planet and have the right to do whatever they want with their music.. To somehow imply that it would do dishonor to Garcia is ludicrous.  All these guys have been doing for the last 19 plus years collectively and individually  is honor the guy they love the most on stage EVERY NIGHT.  A Tour next year would be no different.

• Forum MVP

Didn't say anything nasty about anyone either. No names mentioned. I will be skipping the Vibes and seeing DSO as well.

Let's remember the KKK is a community too. I wouldn't say anything nasty about those individuals either, but their community is ignorant.

The KKK has bad musical tastes but have big bonfire parties.

• Forum MVP

Not denying their right. But whatever they want to call it that band isn't going to be the grateful dead. Call it whatever they like. The guitar player matters way more to me than the name on whether I will attend. I wasn't trying to imply they have dishonored him. I bet they go with furthur or the dead. Maybe the other ones but I doubt the grateful dead.

• Forum MVP

anyways .... we are putting the cart in front of the horse .... or is it the dawn before the dusk ....

let us wait until we have something to disagree on .... BUT IT WOULD BE AWESOME IF THAT WAS OUR PROBLEM...

"Hey man ... I hear they are getting the band back together - but can you dig it - going to be called the Grateful Dead"

I think we all get it .....

PLAY THAT ONE SONG !!!!!!!!

Archived