"Grateful Dead" to tour in 2015?

Rude

• Forum MVP

Tea, your negative vibes are hashing my mellow. Stand down

Yeah, and have you noticed that he has begun speaking using arrows? I think there are too many setlists weaving through his thoughts. :rofl:

Back off of Tea!!!!! So what if within a few years the only job he will be able to function at properly is an intern for Setlist.fm.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Yeah, and have you noticed that he has begun speaking using arrows? I think there are too many setlists weaving through his thoughts. :rofl:

Back off of Tea!!!!! So what if within a few years the only job he will be able to function at properly is an intern for Setlist.fm.

Have your fun - yuck it up bitches.  Don't make me bust out (>>) or the (~). 

There are worse afflications > Trust me.

• Forum MVP

How bout " THE DEAD" real big up top with the slogan "Celebrating 50 years of the GRATEFUL DEAD" underneath. Nonetheless if the core four are there, i dont care what they call it i'll probably hit a few, providing they dont completely leave middle america off the sched. As far as lead guitar, id prefer it not be warren. Im not a warren hater, just when hes with the dead hes not the one I came to see

I am getting my first real live taxpaying job to get a car and tickets...I'll work all year for this even if it is Warrens big belly failing to fill the vacuous hunger of our ancestors for peaceful retribution   J.K. definitely throws em a bone

• Forum MVP

Have your fun - yuck it up bitches.  Don't make me bust out (>>) or the (~). 

There are worse afflications > Trust me.

Soooooo I was perusing the DSO site and look what I stumbled upon:

Jam in the Sand > Spring Tour > Jubilee

Posted on: March 07, 2014

Obviously the Band's down :)  Haters = Bite my ankle B)

• Forum MVP

Lol. Don't be bashing tea. Us old guys need to do stuff to fill our lives with joy and escapism seems to be very effective. Plus being married with kids and a wife who hates him touring means he gets next to no booty so ease off my brother!!!!!

• Forum MVP

The ramblings of all on this site are highly engaging. I hope everyone keeps on keeping on like you do.....as for seeing a GD show, for the music experience>DSO, for parking lot entertainment a GD reunion would be a nice vehicle to bring people together. I just don't get any energy or meaning at coliseum or stadiums shows. It really was Garcia bringing me to the shows by 1995. Wish he could of finished that Fire on the Mountain they started at Deercreek; however, they cancelled that second show. I went to bed after that first show psyched to see if the Fire would be completed. So, if there is a GD reunion at Deercreek, they better damn well finish off the Fire they started back in the summer of 1995 (or else I'm awaiting the crossing of Jordan to see what Jerry is up to on high)

• Forum MVP

Pardon my ignorance on most things 1995 Grateful Dead (I do my best to block 99% of it out), but what happened to the Fire on the Mountain?  Was that the song they were playing during the gate crashing (which I believe led to the cancellation of the 2nd show)?

• Forum MVP

https://archive.org/details/gd95-07-02.aud.ball.587.sbeok.shnf

I'm pretty sure they played Fire although I didn't lsten to it to see if they finished it or not - clocking-in at 12 minutes suggests you got what you got.

References to '95 DC and the gate-crash debacle brings up difficult memories.  Even though I had already seen my final show, there were times where I didn't respect the scene or the music like I should have.  Shows began to run together and I was focused just a bit more on surviving than the music.  I vended, I bartered, I begged for $$$, I commonly used the ticket stubs of others to try and fake my way into shows (or looked for elderly ticket-takers).  I was 'kind' to people and helped others when I could.  But ultimately, I was looking out for ME and how I could get what I thought I was entitled to after seeing so many shows. 

It was people like me that would have killed the GD if Jerry didn't beat us to it.  There were some great times where the scene still had a palpable remnant of community and there was magic in the air.  People loving each other, people treating strangers like long-lost friends, people sharing, real people helping each other with no thought of themselves.  I loved that aspect so much - it was a feeling of home that I thought I might never find. 

I realize that when I jumped on, it was well past the point of being any semblance of what it was back in the day.  But I plugged into a network of kind, humble, honest, fun-loving people.  As time went by though, you could just see the whole thing falling apart.  People screwing each other over, people fighting, fake tickets, young kids overdosing, cocaine, heroin, elitism, greed, envy, the list goes on and on.  I know that same shit was going on when I started, but I felt somehow insulated from it then. 

As the music began to decline, it seemed like the attitude of many people within the scene moved right in lockstep.  As this was going on we had 'new' fans coming in for the 1st time and I think they just took on the personality of what was going on around them.  I became a selfish prick along with a good many other people and this anxious, dark, agressive vibe just seemed to take over.  I'm not proud but it taught me alot about myself.

I wouldn't trade my expereince for the world - that includes the good AND the bad.

Carry on.  therapeutic moment.

• Forum MVP

I was at the gate crashing show .... but did not partake in said activity ..... had a killer seat about 5 rows back from Phil ...

and rudedog - I thought once you got married and/or had kids the booty ran dry ..... I think they use the touring aspect as an excuse .... you know like a headache ...

A GD reunion show would have its own unique qualities some good and some bad ( we all know that they would all be sold out and tickets above a lot of our range) but I can only speak for my experiences. I missed he GD but toured Panic for years and even found my wife and mother of my children on tour. That said when the old group gets back together to go to a show it is missing something, seems that some of the group want to step back to what they remember which often is the scene and not the music. Fun as that scene was we are older and "wiser" so the old ways kinda hit them hard and to put it Blount it kinda fucks the show for me to have someone piss drunk or passed out needing a baby sitter. I feel you would see a lot of this at a GD reunion show and to each their own. This is why DSO is my little thing away from the wife, family and a lot of the old crew b/c I can go for the show and dance and continue new growh rather than spend a evening hearing about how it was back in the day.

Peace,

AG

• Forum MVP

I was at the gate crashing show .... but did not partake in said activity ..... had a killer seat about 5 rows back from Phil ...

and rudedog - I thought once you got married and/or had kids the booty ran dry ..... I think they use the touring aspect as an excuse .... you know like a headache ...

I was at that show too. Did u stay at Glowood campground?

The band name isn't terribly important to me, but if I were the one making the decision I would just call the band "Grateful Dead 50th Anniversary." It lets you know the intention without detracting from the distiction between the Jerry and post-Jerry years, maybe.

You're very mature Tea. I guess experiences like that would do that too you. I like to consider it just a small blemish on the celebrated history of this enduring music; I'm certain you do the same.

• Forum MVP

Pardon my ignorance on most things 1995 Grateful Dead (I do my best to block 99% of it out), but what happened to the Fire on the Mountain?  Was that the song they were playing during the gate crashing (which I believe led to the cancellation of the 2nd show)?

Jerry only sang the first verse and then played all kinds of leads, even pulling out the slide; however, it was cut short by a Victim

I have heard two rumors from fairly reliable sources and HOPE they both are wrong. Warren or trey to play the lead guitar for reunion. If JK doesnt play with them, I doubt I will see even one show..We'll see? Kimock will NOT be the guy, no way no how.. Both Trey and Warren make sense because the drummers like them both. Plus, it really doesnt matter who plays, the shows will probably sell out either way...Trey plays and they all sell out...The drummers may have a problem with JK which is not fair to him and may be more of a Phil/Bob/Furthur thing? I believe they will NOT use the Grateful Dead as their reunion name but go back to the Dead....in light of the fact that there was only one Grateful Dead and it involved the master....having said all of that, I am probably wrong on all points....Hopefully I am wrong on the lead guitar part...Without JK, game over.

Archived