Jamacia #1

Tea

The music surpasses that of Egypt. No Jamaica isn't nearly what I imagine Egypt to be historically or culturally. More referring to the private party for band and friends. The trip isn't about money its a celebration of this music unlike any other. And ya did miss out but we can't make them all. Sorry if you missed my point. If your choice is Egypt or Jamaica with no DSO, my money is on Egypt being more life altering. Unfortunately, I dont drop everything for a week unless GD music is involved.

In my opinion It's just disrespectful to the Grateful Dead who created this music. We can agree to disagree. Peace! And can't wait for Boulder!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As soon as my internet service is restored, I will be uploading night one for ALL to enjoy. I kinda feel lucky to be a taper, but I'm sure it's taking away some of the enjoyment I used to have at shows.

• Forum MVP

As soon as my internet service is restored, I will be uploading night one for ALL to enjoy. I kinda feel lucky to be a taper, but I'm sure it's taking away some of the enjoyment I used to have at shows.

Thank you for your service to humanity!!! You are spreading the joy to others, which is greatly appreciated.

I am a simple person, so a lot of this academia stuff goes right over my head:}!!!!

I can see the GD trip to Egypt as being very special to those who attended.   I am sure very few got to attend.   If people remember the politics and economy during that time, then they will remember how hard it was to  get gasoline to fill your car on certain days, inflation was rampant, and interest rates were sky rocketing.  

To make it to Egypt, you would of had to be either connected or really well off!!  I imagine the people that went to Egypt no matter the quality of the music, was and were some of the most dedicated.

For MC to compare JITS to Jamaica is not a far swing.   Two different bands, two separate places, but perhaps some of the same feeling.

Same Same but different!!!!!    Actually I will take it a bit further, as I have beliefs about GD and DSO that transcends the typical post show discussions.

If anyone knows about (and this is a smart crowd)  Quantum Entanglement, and has the ability to apply it to GD/DSO than it is easy to understand relationships between venues, and how a person today at JITS, not even alive during Egypt, can still experience Egypt while at JITS!!!!!!!

The concept is more simple to me than the music, but I really try to keep things light, and stupid simple since I have a hard time verbalizing my thoughts======especially at shows!!!

I was going to keep some of these thoughts to myself, but if anyone has ever seen me dance, you will realize I keep to much bottled in anyways, and just let it out when I feel safe and comfortable.

No matter the venue, when the music plays, I feel safe and comfortable.   I don't know all the shows you guys know, and I really do not know GD as much as many of you.   But I love it just as much.......if not more!!!!!

I see DSO as my modern day GD.   I dance to DSO harder now than I think I used to dance to GD.   Like fine wine, the music seems to only get better----in my mind.

The discussion of how JITS is spiritual, and "family" orientated is absolutely the TRUTH!!!!

To compare Egypt and JITS is not apple and oranges for me.     Its pure "Quantum Entanglement", realized on a larger scale.

JITS is about the DSO Family.    I know I am just a visitor when it comes to this family, but for 4 days, and 3 nights I got to be a part of something special.  I met people in Jamaica that despite my shortfalls, were as kinder to me than most in my normal life!!!  

I never consider myself a groupie, but how can one not be somewhat blown away by the intimacy of JITS.   No names included, but I had one band member come up to me and actually introduce his self to me and shaked my hand.   I was too "star struck" to utter anything of value back, but the experience is something I have replayed a million times in my head.    I had another chance, thanks to some very kind souls, to allow me to hang out and just listen to another band member and his wife sit and talk.  I just sat and listened like a silent statue----absorbing and listening trying to understand how this person can produce such soulful sounds, but yet be so normal!!!  

I have a hard time separating DSO into separate components, as together they are MAGIC!!!!!   However, meeting, listening, and on occasion, talking with these guys and gal in a setting like Jamaica is about as good as it gets.  

Yea.......the intimacy of JITS is something bigger than anything I have experienced!!!  This was my Revival, my resurrection of the beauty of music and all the spiritual meaning behind it!!!

A last thought, before I go take care of sick kids, and try to go make some money today!!!

There is not a GD recording that I would prefer over a live night of DSO!!!!!     We are all so very lucky that DSO was formed, and that they give us as much as they have to give!!!!

DSO is no longer just a band, but its a concept that will continue to last for decades if not centuries to come!!!!   I for one am so very thankful for DSO bringing it back, and even more thankful that generations to come will be able to move their feet and shake their souls to music that forces us to learn about ourselves, others, and the world around us!!!!!

Oddly enough, I usually get Post DSO Depression really bad.  Really bad!!    Not this time.    I am still smiling, after I finally got some sleep!!

NYE run, Jubilee, and other runs have left me with a sadness when its over.  I don't have that feeling about JITS.   Why, because it was that special, that I only have smiles!!!!!!

A BIG thanks to DSO, its crew, and all those that have kept it going.   I for one am eternally grateful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just had to quote this because I feel like it's a really A+ post from our man sun.

I feel like a lot of these thoughts and feelings you could have ripped straight from my head. The inability to stay calm, cool, collected and express coherent thought the verbal speech in such a whirlwind atmosphere. The need for such big wild dance to express what I can't otherwise. The fact that I certainly wasn't in any inner circle or even knew most in attendance, and I might have stepped on a toe or two, but man I got showed a lot of kindness from a lot of people.

I don't know if stepping up and doing hard work for the benefit of the community is happening because you're lucky, I'd say it's happening because you're a grate dude.

WE are the one's who are lucky to have individuals like yourself.

Thank you.

• Forum MVP

The music surpasses that of Egypt. No Jamaica isn't nearly what I imagine Egypt to be historically or culturally. More referring to the private party for band and friends. The trip isn't about money its a celebration of this music unlike any other. And ya did miss out but we can't make them all. Sorry if you missed my point. If your choice is Egypt or Jamaica with no DSO, my money is on Egypt being more life altering. Unfortunately, I dont drop everything for a week unless GD music is involved.

In my opinion It's just disrespectful to the Grateful Dead who created this music. We can agree to disagree. Peace! And can't wait for Boulder!

Trust me. I meant no disrespect to the Grateful Dead. I think its a testament to Garcia and the rest of the dead that on some nights completely different musicians can use this wonderful music to transform space and time and reach towards those same heights the dead did on ttheir game. By all means, the best music played all weekend came off an iPod.

• Forum MVP

Sweet thanks!!!!!! I think I heard sunny ordering a red stripe.

AWESOME quality recording. One of the better I've heard. Besides the annoying talkers near the board the recording is stellar!!!! Get to groove out the rest of my work day.

Taper Pet Peeve:  Microphones tend to be conversation magnets!

I'm not one to be rude and tell people to STFU, however in the past I have mentioned to them that I just recorded their conversations to their surprise. That usually gets them to either move or tone it down.

• Forum MVP

I no longer worry about saying stfu. But in New York the dudes were assholes. Even this girl next to me tried to get these meat heads to shut it and they were asses to her as well. They can ruin a show. I'd love to hear DSO tell people to shut it during a show. They would prob get a huge applause.

• Forum MVP

Oh Man - thanks!  HUGE up's to mgtaper for the sweet upload:

giphy.gif

We are indeed not worthy.  Can't wait to give it a listen :)  It won't come within a light year of 'being' there.  But sometimes it's close enough to pretend......

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

This was the strongest show DSO played during this year's Jam in the Sand in my oh so modest approximation.  

The plan was to get good sleep on the first day in Jamaica.  We came a day early to avoid the effects of jet lag and possible delays.  Unfortunately, plans don't always work out or maybe its fortunate that they don't.  Who knows?  At this point, looking back in reflection, who really cares, I rocked the shows and put out all I had to give at the 3 electric shows.  Jamaica truly is a dancer's paradise.  We all know a few venues we feel that way about.  So instead of taking it easy, we fell victim to the Herd and the Caribbean cold.  I didn't have the best of nights.  I truly wanted to sleep, but the blast off at sunrise made it clear we weren't here for sleep.  

I made it through the day collecting my shattered thoughts and finding my balance. I would spend the next 48 hours in loony tune land. I wanted a spiritual life changing experience and I feel I got one.  I hope I can make the changes because I have new wants but I'm not going to get too deep into that.  We will see what changes life brings with the turning of the wheel and spin of the Earth.  I discovered a lot about myself on this trip and more so than I think I want to share here so I will try to focus on the gig.

The show starts off with a fantastic Half-Step.  You can tell the band was excited to be here and although, I didn't hear any sound check, Cotter and DSO got the sound dial'd in a lot faster than they did at last year's event.  The first song didn't even sound like a soundcheck and the energy went through the roof for Jack Straw.  This song has become a vehicle for me to metaphorically settle the score without ever losing my mind or reason and causing anyone of those who chose to do me wrong harm.  We all have our reasons and we all have transgressed, but sometimes the urge to settle the score is strong; it's always great to dance it off.  Peggy-O was beautifully delivered.  Jeff laying out that beautiful story for all to take in.  I can't really speak of El Paso and They Love Each Other as I was unfortunately not present at the show, although one of the songs missed may be fitting to my story.  I made it back for Big River and quickly fell into my groove for Dupree's.  I love that story and we all know its true, some like jelly jelly and some like gold.  Well some like both.  I feel like a spun off into outer space during Let it Grow.  I even found myself shouting "I am," and I am not supporter of the crowd yelling the lyrics.  Sorry I may have lost it there for a minute.  Deal was nice to calm myself down a bit and spin a little bit less frenzied.  All in all, a great first set.  Pretty clear it was 77 and I've always felt 77 was DSO's bread and butter.  They just crush it out the park as the Dead did most nights in those years.  

Samson is always a great 2nd set opener to get the crowd moving and grooving to the music again.  Sunrise would prove to the be just the first opportunity of the weekend for Lisa to show off her vocal chops and those of us that love DSO know this lady brings it.  Every time.  After weaving through the story of Ramble on, the energy is pushed back into the atmosphere with a rocking passenger.  Passenger is followed by sweet and moving Terrapin.  My heart ached during this song.  I felt awful about the shenanigans of last night, but you know how it goes, some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin.  In this case, those of that made it may have been more in a crawl.  The playing was danceable but psychedelic as we twirled towards the closing segments of tonights show.  The Iko Iko was truly a fun surprise coming out of drums, but the wheel was definitely where the music started to once again tug at my heart even my soul.  The Wharf Rat was shattering almost too much to bear so I just spun and soaked it in.  There is certainly no way to put into words what I was feeling at that moment on this night.  I'm sure many here have had Wharf Rats like that.  Sugar Mag is always a good closer to put a smile back on your face.  I would listen to OMSN and Mr. Charlie on the walk back to the room.  

I would be too blown to socialize with anyone this night.  Although I did not sleep, I quietly listened to music outside my room.  I could hear the laughter and shouts of friends over on the beach, but I was in no place to speak and didn't really want to listen to anything other than Jerry.  What an experience and this was just the first night.  Proofread later maybe.

mg taper is absolutely right about the talking during Terrapin.  Excellent quality download, btw.  I wondered why some yenta would be yacking throughout after paying thousands of dollars to get to the shows but then it was brought to my attention that it was probably someone's girlfriend.  Wish there was a filter.

Archived