Wolf Trap 8/3

topher44

my 1st time seeing dso..i was blown away...dmfaoff (again:-) when i closed my eyes i'd swear it was bobby & jerry singing, and phil walkin' the bass:-)8-);-) and seeing so many people who'd never seen the dead (or were even alive then;-) groovin' along w/ us boomers who had (altho i never saw pigpen)-: restored my faith in the music:-)

0803042024.jpg more pix @ http://airdrummer.dontexist.org/music/dso3aug14

• Forum MVP

Venue was absolutely fabulous! !! Beautiful spaces. Plenty of spinning dresses, but best if all great sound, and plenty of room to see, hear, and well.... of course dance. 85 kaiser show. Diamond d...minglewood...been eyed...hell in a bucket...than something else? 2nd set trucking terrapin women smarter..drums space....throwing stones touch of grey... I forget the rest. Accept for filler.. help slip and sick ass tangled. Sisters and brothers. Beautiful fay...rain held off till last minutes. Others will fill in my musical spaces!!

Lots of police..federal agents I guess. NJ it they had a good time and I danced with a couple of the female staff!!

Great venue again. Seats not packed but lawn was...and though a lot of concert goers than jamming heads...There was a great vibe. And all were kind!! Beers were 10 bucks. But u could bring ur own if u liked. Good time...short 85 set...but the fillers made up for that!! Smoking hot music!!

Hope they come back....A well worth it venue!!! Thanks again for a great jerry weekend even if it rained most the time. C yall at Blk mountain! !!!!

• Forum MVP

Besides half the crowd sitting was lots of fun. Help slip tangled made my run. Finally got my 1st tangled. Loved it. Got to dance around Sudds and August west. The ushers luckily let us dance in the aisles. Was great to meet many new people at the shows. That venue was beautiful.

• Forum MVP

It was super duper fun ....

and the people of Northern Virginia/Washington DC showed up in full force ....

I would say 3,500 easy .....

beautiful venue ...... the weather was perfect ... got a little rain the last 20 minutes or so .... then a downpour while most people were already in the car heading out ..

For someone like myself who started driving the Teacher Honda Civic as far back as 1999 seeing DSO all over the country I had to make sure I made this watershed moment of a show ....

bing bang boom it was worth it ...

• Forum MVP

DSO set list page notes this as the highest attendance for a non-festival appearance. Sweet! Way to bring it VA! Hate my job forced me to bail on the run after sat nites barn burner. I think once masons child becomes rich and famous I'll try to get a job with him. He'll understand.....

• Forum MVP

I had a great time, near the front thanks to a friend who is a Wolftrap benefactor. I was initially concerned that the attendance was sparse, but by the second set the crowd filled in.

I live 10 minutes from WT, so this was practically in my back yard. The band did not dissappoint (as usual), and everyone in attendance appeared to be having a blast. The crowd was fairly buttoned up and sedate during the first set (typical DC), but everyone began to let their hair down after the sun set. I got a kick out of Barracco suggesting that everyone enjoy a glass of wine before announcing the set break.....perfect suggestion for a Wolftrap crowd.

As much as I loved being front and center, I don't think the mix was great up close. I could barely hear Skip, and that bummed me out as he has blown me away in the other shows I've seen since he stepped on the bus. I also was wishing that the overall volume was louder, but I assume that WT has strict Db limits, since the venue is surrounded by pricey neighborhoods.

I am so, so hoping that WT becomes an annual stop for the DSO bus. I am so proud of the band and the crew......I love you guys and gal so much......thanks for doing what you do and for bringing it full force each and every night.

Not sure when I'll be back for my next helping, but I can hardly wait.     :shakehandhug:

Besides half the crowd sitting was lots of fun. Help slip tangled made my run. Finally got my 1st tangled. Loved it. Got to dance around Sudds and August west. The ushers luckily let us dance in the aisles. Was great to meet many new people at the shows. That venue was beautiful.

The ushers were super cool and kicked people away that were crowding us too much and let people stay that felt the groove.  That one usher had her eye on Brian's bare feet and he would run from her :rofl:

• Forum MVP

02-19-85 Henry J. Kaiser Convention Center, Oakland, Ca. (Tue)

1: Jack Straw, Dupree's, Minglewood, B. E. Women, Esau, Bird Song, Bucket> Might As Well

2: Truckin> Terrapin> Woman Smarter> Drumz> Throwing Stones> Touch E: Johnny B. Goode

felt lucky to be at this one. what a big beautiful venue for Dso. was nice to see so many people show up!

Terrapin was big and Throwing stones was tight as hell. Shockingly short 2nd set. Help> Slip> Tangled Up, Sisters & Brothers made up for it and then some..

• Forum MVP

Fox theatre Atlanta in Oct of 85 was one of my most memorable shows. 29th, before the famous 10/31 Columbia, SC show with werewolves. They did a crazy fingers/drums/space/wheel for the record books. I got into that show on a ticket for the 28th show.... Long story there for another thread. Good year, but Mango is right, Jerry was cooked.

• Forum MVP

Fox theatre Atlanta in Oct of 85 was one of my most memorable shows. 29th, before the famous 10/31 Columbia, SC show with werewolves. They did a crazy fingers/drums/space/wheel for the record books. I got into that show on a ticket for the 28th show.... Long story there for another thread. Good year, but Mango is right, Jerry was cooked.

Being from Columbia, SC the 10/31/85 show was especially memorable. I was 20 years old. I bought about 15 tickets for my friends, rented 2 suites at the Carolina Inn next to the arena and the rest was psychedelic history.

It wasn't the greatest of shows.....way short for one thing. Paled in comparison to the Fabulous Fox shows a couple of nights before and Richmond on 11/1. But I will always cherish the memory of throwing down with my favorite band in my home town on Halloween night.

I agree that Garcia was on autopilot much of that year......it was hit or miss.

• Forum MVP

Any Carcia is good Garcia, but I feel those that defend 85 passionately do so because they were there.  I believe if they got honest with their ears they would easily admit that 85 was not the Dead's best year based largely on Garcia's diminished playing and presence.  As gr8fulpair said, Jerry was cooked.  I will have to listen to that "legendary" Fox theatre show.

• Forum MVP

I admit, despite the often "hurried" nature of '85, I'm a big fan in general.  What was bad was bad (see the half ass attempts at reviving Cryptical) and what was good was transcendent (see Garcia's renditions of She Belongs To Me).  There sure were lots of cool set lists.

• Forum MVP

Any Carcia is good Garcia, but I feel those that defend 85 passionately do so because they were there.  I believe if they got honest with their ears they would easily admit that 85 was not the Dead's best year based largely on Garcia's diminished playing and presence.  As gr8fulpair said, Jerry was cooked.  I will have to listen to that "legendary" Fox theatre show.

MC, I haven't listened to the 10/29/83 show since I heard it live at the Fox. I'm going to revisit the music on the archives now that I'm thinking of it.

What made that show, and probably all Fox shows, particularly special was the venue. Tiny art deco theatre, crushed red velvet seats, illuminated domed ceiling complete with alit stars. Top that off with impeccable acoustics and an understandably inspired band and there you go. I am truly grateful to have witnessed a Dead show there.

The fungus was potent that night, and I recall Mickey's violent treatment of the Beast during drums that night rattling my solar plexus to the point of nausea. Space was downright scary. I don't ever recall being so relieved to hear the band return to sweet melodious music as they came out of space into The Wheel......ahhh.

• Forum MVP

85 was a good year considering jerry was in his state of existance; however, I must admit, 85 was a stellar year. I have listened to the Greeks of that time many times, and have marveled, which means at some point cried listening to those recordings. But, the sets were and are too short. I do prefer the psychedelic rawness of earlier years, and since being turned on to good sounding early years.....I have longed for more youthful GD. DSO tends to play everything on par. No offense DSO....I have heard only 1 night left standing That I Thought U Could Of Gave more. But u still gave everything I had for your sound!!!.because a bad night, Is still better than any night anywhere!!!!

I have never heard anything past 88 with dso. I would even enjoy a 90 ' s show. Would put up with Picasso for a desolation. So many roads...or a built to last. Mumble jumble from reliable mumble Sun. I hate my citiques, as I want the band to know I am always happy to hear them live. I have sat down after nearly, if not more than 30 shows in past 3 years only 3...4 times. I was just too tired and had to rest. The music is that golden, and I know now that many of us on the boards help the dso dancing and grooving scene more than anyone else.

You guys make people more comfortable for others to let loose!!! Pat your self on the back!!!! Dso supplies all the energy, but u guys supply to norm to the crowd!!!!

Again wolf trap was a blast.....3rd set blew roof off!!! Have a good morning dso land. Thanks Ron for giving us/ me a place to throw out thoughts!!!!

• Forum MVP

I'm gonna knock your chiclets through your blowhole MC. Don't disrespect ochenta y cinco. Yes the shows are short but 85 has some of the most interesting and surprising setlists out of any year and more often than not, the band was on.

Archived