Will Trade my ONE Phish at Santa Barbara Bowl for DSO at TxR either night...

1vibe

• Forum MVP

I really don't think of Phish as a dance band...

then again i've never been to one of their concerts...

kind of imagine people just bopping around a little a partying, singing along obsessively....

I think phish studio work is superior to live. It's too complex to allow much improvisation. Plus it's sort of "nerdy" dead like if Trekkies at comicon decided to start a jam band.

I really don't think of Phish as a dance band...

then again i've never been to one of their concerts...

kind of imagine people just bopping around a little a partying, singing along obsessively....

I think phish studio work is superior to live. It's too complex to allow much improvisation. Plus it's sort of "nerdy" dead like if Trekkies at comicon decided to start a jam band.

I see your point, but I definitely think there a quite a few exceptions to that. I'll give you an example.

The studio (okay I admit this is not the studio--apparently they decided not to release that version, but this is what it sounds like without improv):

Live and very much improvised version with a really good ending:

Phish and the Dead couldn't be further apart, yet still be considered part of the same music genre, that is if you consider jam band a music genre.

I'm actually going to Santa Barbara to see Phish, which for those of you who know me is quite a journey. I like seeing DSO more, although I won't be at TXR, more so by choice if anything. What am I doing, right? I really have no have idea, I just like variety. And don't think for a moment that switching between JGB and GD is not considered variety to me, because it sure is!

• Forum MVP

I saw phish in 96 in Louisville. Was looking for a replacement for the dead. Epic fail. I like phish don't get me wrong. Familiar with most of their material and I still listen to Junta regularly but I chose seeing DSO over 3 shows in Chicago for phish and I'd make that decision every time.

• Forum MVP

Here's an analogy that my friend who is both a phish and dead head gave me years ago. don't know if I totally agree but like it anyway.

"listening to trey is like having sex with a supermodel. listening to jerry is like having sex with your best friend"

I don't dislike Phish, per say, there are songs and moments that I do like. I think that there singing is awful, talent and soulless.

I agree with what Rude said, songs are so complex that actual improv seems to be limited.

I do respect though that they grew out of love for GD and went on to create their own thing. Many people clearly love it and I don't want to devalue that at all.

rock on!

I think someone would be hard-pressed to say that the timing Jerry's death didn't help with their fame.

Even though I am excited for Phish in Cali and DSO on New Year's, what I'm actually most looking forward to is Medeski Scofield Martin & Wood, a band that has been on the bucket list for some time. I get my first show of theirs early December. Cosmological jazz-funk!

Santa Barbara bowl is a really awesome venue (complete with Garcia hand sculpture).  It's so cool how it butts up against the corner of town.

The rows seem to rise steeply though - I wonder how it is for a dance band like Phish. 

I find it a very easy venue to dance in, what's more they seem open to the crowd (at least for the furthur/bobby shows I've seen there).  Best thing is it's small, outdoors with views and the sound is usually perfect, although not super loud, as they have to limit it for the neghbors.

• Forum MVP

I think someone would be hard-pressed to say that the timing Jerry's death didn't help with their fame.

Even though I am excited for Phish in Cali and DSO on New Year's, what I'm actually most looking forward to is Medeski Scofield Martin & Wood, a band that has been on the bucket list for some time. I get my first show of theirs early December. Cosmological jazz-funk!

LOVE MMW....still good with Scofield but prefer their vibe without him~

Archived