Jubilee 2015

Dead duck

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I miss the ledges too. I don't want to go back there. I want to party in a safe environment. We all know that place wasn't safe anymore. Add a 3rd day to pocahontas a few,more bands. Great campgrounds to go with great venue. Too bad the park services won't go for that. Not to mention virginia isn't too safe either. I miss real camping with the festival.

• Forum MVP

Pardon my ignorance on the subject but I'd never heard of the ledges until DSO had already stopped playing there. Beautiful place. Other than a good percentage of people not caring about the music im not sure where the bad reputation came from. I assume there was some kind of a po po problem in the past?

• Forum MVP

All festivals have horror stories.  If you don't cooperate with authorities, they will do what they did to Jimmy T to you.  A child of a cop died - not at our event but with drugs from an event there.  Things changed.  Its all on the internet.  I'm not trying to paint the place in a negative light.  Beautiful place with beautiful people and some of the best celebrations of life I've ever participated in.  

• Forum MVP

I was late on the dso bandwagon so never got to go to the ledges but the scenery looked pretty amazing for a summer fest. On Memorial Day, Prob not so epic. 2013 jubulee at the ledges would have included ice skating which could have caused some injuries.

• Forum MVP

All festivals have horror stories. If you don't cooperate with authorities, they will do what they did to Jimmy T to you. A child of a cop died - not at our event but with drugs from an event there. Things changed. Its all on the internet. I'm not trying to paint the place in a negative light. Beautiful place with beautiful people and some of the best celebrations of life I've ever participated in.

Eek. 13 were arrested 1st day of grategul fest 2010, 17 total on drug charges.

• Forum MVP

Last year up there on the 4th of July the high temp didn't hit 70. The boys still swam in the quarry. Crazy. That shit was cold. The lineups seem to be less and less spectacular each year but with the beach and all the boys love it up there. I always just assumed that once DSO signed on at legend valley it was a territorial thing. Business stuff.

• Forum MVP

Evan at the Ledges just did not have things tightened down like he needed to.  While it sucks that DSO had to leave the Ledges behind, I believe the that if they had decided to stay, they risked being associated with something that would have changed where they could play - and how the band and its fans were treated.  Not only that, their fans were at serious risk of having their rights infringed upon.    

Don't mess with the po-po in that neck of the woods.  They don't pick their battles there - they go looking for a fight 100% of the time.

That palce is straight-up money tho...

grateful_fest.jpg

• Forum MVP

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks

I guess because I'm toting children and beach toys instead of sobriety enhancers and flat billed hats I've been given a free pass thus far. Haha

Im getting all the guys at our campsite "Grateful Gangsta" Hoodies and hats!!!

• Forum MVP

the 1st time I saw the thug heads I was sort of shocked. They didn't exist back in the day. being a grategul gangster is the antithesis of being a dead head. The music is about sun and love and nature. It's not about wearing all black and being a thug. I get that many of those are there for completely different reasons than us but still.

Edit: ok yes many dead songs are aboit being a thug but still..... Lol

• Forum MVP

I hope we can keep the theft element down this year. You see someone doing something fucked up. Speak up. Believe me a thief won't have much support in this community.

Everyone needs to be on the lookout. the bigger the group the safer the site. It was just me and a buddy at jubilee 1 and they watched us walk down and rummaged through our tent. Nothing of value stays in my tent and I kept my wallet in my sleeping bag as I slept. That's sort of sad that u can't be safe in your tent with thieving scumbags around. Last year we had no issue with a larger group together.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

While my Jubilee plans aren't really important other than to myself, I am posting them for cathartic reasons.....

My new boss (same as the old boss) had voiced much concern over my request to have the Friday before Memorial Day off from work.  First there was talk that since this has become a recurrent request for me that I should acquiesce to the other managers.  It was also noted that, "You asked for this day off in October!?!  We usually don't approve vacation days this far out since we don't know what our needs will be in May."  Then it was, "I'd like to let you go but I'm concerned that the leadership will think you're not a team-player."  (Read:  They are all planning to be off anyway and need someone to steer the ship while they commence with their respective martini-benders at the Carolina coast).  It morphed into, "As a leader of your teams, it's important to lead by example and show them that you are willing to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them during a traditionally busy period."

Like usual, I just kept my head down, worked my face off, took on projects and duties that I didn't have to, and landed a couple clients that had been chased for years.  My reward:  I'm bleeping all in for Jubilee!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It might be best not to ask for adddtional time for the 4th and push my luck for Fare Thee Well - not to mention the current 1,500 price-tag for a 100 level seat.  It is indeed interesting that these tickets are already for sale through ticket brokers <_<

Anyway....Continue with your regularly-scheduled DSO banter.

Archived