Jubilee 2015

Dead duck

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I think doing a massive potluck forum brunch on Saturday or Sunday would be awesome.  A group of people used to run a little camp area called camp kitchen at the ledges.  We would have massive meals together.  I'm not sure we could replicate that feeling or that community, but we should try to do a community meal of our own.  Be wary of the fruit.

• Forum MVP

Ya'll may think you are funny with your anti-veggie talk...but...don't even get me started on the deleterious health effects of a diet low in colorful, NON-starchy vegetables. You wont be laughing when you develop some degenerative, inflammation based, and/or autoimmune disease. Protein is vital, meat help humans develop bigger brains, but humans have always eaten vegetables. The balance in the Standard American DIet(read, SAD), is pathetically off and it shows in our poor health. Interesting too, albeit maybe only somewhat related, that US ranks very low on the rankings of world happiness. 

Don't like vegetables? You probably suck at cooking them. and maybe your mom did too. Let me cook you a meal and see what you think. I will include meat in it's appropriate proportion, 25% of the plate. 25% whole grain or some starchy veg(yes, potatoes), and 50% non-starchy veggies. A meal rich in vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. What are phytonutrients? Things you don't get when you eat the SAD diet.

Ok, I'm done. I know i'm not going to change any of your minds. Unfortunately, most people don't seek change until they develop health problems. Most health problems are developed as a result of poor diet, lifestyle, and toxicity (from non-organic food, poor digestion, environmental factors, cleaning products, etc....)....and then are treated with drugs that cause more problems and seldom do much to really help. Do you want to support the pharmaceutical corporations who feed off of you being unhealthy? Do you want to support the meat industry that treats animals miserably, feeds them unnatural diets that then require use of antibiotics(which yes, you are then eating), and poison the environment? Do you want to support industrial farms who poison the soil (which runs off into waterways), produce low mineral/vitamin vegetables, and are wholly profit-driven and unsustainable? Is convenience more important to you than quality? Just remember that it affects more than just your health.

Ok, guess I wasn't done.

Note: this is not aimed at anyone in particular. Just the "average" american. We are destroying our beautiful planet and ourselves. We don't have to go to hell in a bucket to enjoy the ride~

• Forum MVP

I buy locally sourced organic meat. We eat vegatables with every meal. Fruit essential in my breakfast.

I just like to break your balls.

I buy all organic vegetables too. Not trying to support any of the evil corporations. Unfortunately sometimes I do. I've been to Walmart this year.

Buying rat traps at home depot.

Living long isn't my goal.

Enjoying life is. Sometimes eating poorly is enjoyable. Had a dq blizzard last night. No regrets.

I think we all know that your diet if living long and always feeling tip top is your goal you are doing it right.

At the jubilee, I think short term food goals will exceed long run health concerns. I may even have some of that dreaded alcohol.

Trust me I speak out against the age of convenience and greed. You eat eggs? I will have home raised this summer.

• Forum MVP

The gf spends an hour making these 30 ingredient veggie salads. considering it costs over 100 calories of energy to make that salad with barely that many calories in the salad, to not starve Id have to make round the clock salads. A pork pull sandwich, chips and pickle will fill me up with calories in 10 minutes allowing me to experience life vs the vicious cycle of food prep taking my precious time and energy. One day I expect Many healthy eaters to look back and say "where has my life gone. if Id spent less time cooking and more time living, I could have lived a fulfilling life"

• Forum MVP

for quick veggies on the go may I suggest an amazing powder, "Green Vibrance", lots and lots of good stuff .... you can order it online .... or pay a little more and get it at Whole Foods, etc

Also wheatgrass in a powder form ....

I make myself a shake consisting of Green Vibrance powder, Wheatgrass powder, Protein/Greens SuperFoods powder (GNC product), Apple Cider Vinegar, Cayenne Pepper Powder, and good old H2O

• Forum MVP

My biggest point on the food rant is a strong belief that all humans should produce more of what they eat themselves. By ideals really mean nothing unless put to action. Got to start at home.

Home and community veggie gardens rock.

• Forum MVP

Rude, it takes five minutes to make a good salad. I enjoy every minute of food preparation and consumption. So no, I"m not going look back and say "what did I do with my life?".  Nor am I suggesting that you shouldn't have your pulled pork sandwich, but it's all about balance. 100 calories to make a salad? Come on bro, don't just throw bullshit out there to make a point. I'm school for nutrition, i'm passionate about food, and I know what I'm talking about. Do you want; it's you life, your health....but don't try to make knowledgable claims about shit you know nothing about.

Nice on the chickens, Rick! I eat eggs daily. Used to have chickens and loved them, great creatures. When i moved my new location didn't allow for them. I spend 8-9$ a carton on pasture raised eggs because they are nutrient packed, the chickens are happier, they are local, and because it matters to me.

There is a huge mental/emotional component to eating and being healthy. Definitely important to be at peace with what you choose to do. Additionally, it's very important to be a peace while eating- stress/distracted/rushed eating is bad for digestion. Bad digestion, no matter how well you are eating, is bad for you. 

Finally, it's important to note that everybody is biochemically unique, meaning that what is healthy for one person may not be for another. Factors include allergies, genetics, where our ancestors came from and ate(perhaps same as genetic), and preference. That being said- we all need vegetables. We al need protein ( and animal proteins have complete amino acid profiles). We all need healthy fats, ie nuts/seeds, avocados, unrefined vegetable oils, coconut products, cold water fish, and yes, some meat ( though that fat causes more of the negative things associated with fats). Processed foods, in general, are not good for us. They frequently contain low quality, easily oxidized fats, excess sugar/sweeteners, and a utter lack of fiber. We all like that holy grail poop that requires little to know wiping.... ;)

Have a good day, ya'll. Enjoy your meals, whatever they are. Be at peace, find a way to love all that you encounter. Let the words be yours, I am done with mine~

• Forum MVP

I've got a raccoon problem. I need to turn them into food. Thanks for the advice MC. I have all the meat I need trying to rip into my attic nightly. Those baatards keep ripping down my soffit to get in.

• Forum MVP

The gf spends an hour making these 30 ingredient veggie salads. considering it costs over 100 calories of energy to make that salad with barely that many calories in the salad, to not starve Id have to make round the clock salads. A pork pull sandwich, chips and pickle will fill me up with calories in 10 minutes allowing me to experience life vs the vicious cycle of food prep taking my precious time and energy. One day I expect Many healthy eaters to look back and say "where has my life gone. if Id spent less time cooking and more time living, I could have lived a fulfilling life"

Sorry mango if u thought I was trying to make a knowledgeable comment above.

Id love to eat better. We do cook a few nights a week. Rare seared Tuna, salad, some rice dish and sautéed veggies or green beans is a weekly standard. Sams has decent Tuna. Not easy to find good sea food in my town so that suffices. I rarely eat red meat besides smoked pork which is done to perfection here. But that being said I consume way too much in sugary drinks. Luckily no diabetes in my family and im a stick figure so I'm Prob ok there.

• Forum MVP

mango, I love you and would gladly enjoy one of your meals. I can't cook for shit, I'm more of what you call, an eater or consumer. I fall more in the MC line of thinking and that includes busting your balls.

• Forum MVP

if they had this thinking in the late 60s it would be the electric wheat grass acid tests and likely the participation would have fallen and no telling if we'd all have turned out dead heads or if the band would have gotten the following they did. Score 1 for Sugar.

• Forum MVP

Ya'll may think you are funny with your anti-veggie talk...but...don't even get me started on the deleterious health effects of a diet low in colorful, NON-starchy vegetables. You wont be laughing when you develop some degenerative, inflammation based, and/or autoimmune disease. Protein is vital, meat help humans develop bigger brains, but humans have always eaten vegetables. The balance in the Standard American DIet(read, SAD), is pathetically off and it shows in our poor health. Interesting too, albeit maybe only somewhat related, that US ranks very low on the rankings of world happiness.

Don't like vegetables? You probably suck at cooking them. and maybe your mom did too. Let me cook you a meal and see what you think. I will include meat in it's appropriate proportion, 25% of the plate. 25% whole grain or some starchy veg(yes, potatoes), and 50% non-starchy veggies. A meal rich in vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients. What are phytonutrients? Things you don't get when you eat the SAD diet.

Ok, I'm done. I know i'm not going to change any of your minds. Unfortunately, most people don't seek change until they develop health problems. Most health problems are developed as a result of poor diet, lifestyle, and toxicity (from non-organic food, poor digestion, environmental factors, cleaning products, etc....)....and then are treated with drugs that cause more problems and seldom do much to really help. Do you want to support the pharmaceutical corporations who feed off of you being unhealthy? Do you want to support the meat industry that treats animals miserably, feeds them unnatural diets that then require use of antibiotics(which yes, you are then eating), and poison the environment? Do you want to support industrial farms who poison the soil (which runs off into waterways), produce low mineral/vitamin vegetables, and are wholly profit-driven and unsustainable? Is convenience more important to you than quality? Just remember that it affects more than just your health.

Ok, guess I wasn't done.

Note: this is not aimed at anyone in particular. Just the "average" american. We are destroying our beautiful planet and ourselves. We don't have to go to hell in a bucket to enjoy the ride~

There is another continuum the other direction.

http://www.salon.com/2015/01/30/were_clean_eating_our_way_to_new_eating_disorders/

• Forum MVP

ugh....salon.com? is this where you get your latest info on diet?

agree to some extent...not good to worry, be stressed about food or anything. I don't think that article really relates to what i'm talking about. The 'eating 4 health' program we are taught at Bauman College is not that restrictive, in fact it's quite flexible; includes meat, dairy, grains, veggies, fruits, legumes, nuts...lifestyle choices...the focus is on quality and distribution.

Just eat vegetables, damnit!

:rofl:

• Forum MVP

Wow, Mango. That opened with a lot of judgement. No. I do not. I thought you would be interested in the other extreme of healthnut.

I pulled it because that is a reality that is happening. If Good Housekeeping reports on it, you can bet it is an issue in America. Right? How many people are freaking out over X-rays that CBS reports on as being unnecessary the next two weeks? 9/10 to whom I say I could take 30 dental X-rays and it would be the equivalent rads of walking around Denver for a half day.! I know a lot of people who work on the other side of obesity., other eating disorders. Size 00? What the hell does that even mean? The idea of feminine physical beauty is warped. My buddy who photographed for Versace and with Bruce Weber agrees.

Fats, Carbs and Protein are the building blocks of our body. Veggie and fruits are great for micronutrients and necessary.

I have parents going grain free in family meal planning. There is so much misinformation about good nutrition in America. Your brain doesn't function properly without fats and carbs. Good nutrition begins with making choices that include a wide variety.

Ugh back at you for the judgement.

Archived