GD 50TH Reunion

August West

• Forum MVP

Rumors are rampant that this is going to happen with an announcement coming shortly. Hornsby and Trey plus the core four. Soldier Field July 4th.  I'm not really a fan of Trey or Phish, and The Treyful Dead doesn't excite me. Especially with no Kimock. I'm sure Trey will sell alot of tickets though, I guess that surely matters. What are your thoughts on this "reunion"? I think it's a shame that it looks like TC or Donna won't be involved.

Alot of people will like this lineup I'm sure. Myself....I'm out.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I won't go see Trey play Jerry, period sorry.  I'm going to wait for the official word before I take rumor for truth, but if it is indeed 3 nights Soldier field with Trey over the 4th.  You can count me out.  I hope DSO plays somewhere else then.  

• Forum MVP

Thanks for the update.  The reunion fire has been stoked pretty good over the last couple weeks and now it does look like 'something' is taking shape.  Looks like Kimock and Warren are officially 'out' for the lead and that it's now Trey's if he wants it - which it appears he is very interested in.

It would be a total nostalga play for me - nothing else.  The amount of rehersal (or lack thereof) is likely to diminish the final product to a point that it would probably be tough to take.  That coupled with a Stadium scene keeps my interest-level very low.  There will be plenty of folks who will be all in - I'll leave it to them I guess

The flame burns as bright as ever with DSO and for that I'm so very thankful - they fill my cup and then some.  The GD changed my life forever but if I had a 'pass' for the 4th, I'd much rather consider the DSO circus - it's my kind of zoo!

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Ugh.  Well I got reminded just now that 4th of July week I will be at the beach in Carolina.  Im out :(. The Soldier Fiend 7-8-95 show was when I really got into the dead.  The previous shows were more about the experience, but by that show I was more committed to the music(yes I know that Jerry forgot half the songs that day, but it was still the grateful dead).  It would be fun to have a 20th anniversary run at Soldier Field and stay at the Congress Hotel again which was about the cheapest hotel in downtown Chicago.  That hotel holds good memories as we were 1 ticket short and put a sign on our room that we needed an extra.  Of the few people even on our floor we got a knock at 10am the day of the show and were like who the fuck is waking us up at this time of the morning.  The guy sold us the needed ticket at face and we were set.  At that point it was next to impossible to get tix in front of the venues with the 10's of thousands of people trying to get into the shows.

Im sure Trey would jump at the chance as he was a huge deadhead and they were the inspiration for Phish, but there are better and worse choices.  Warren is my least fav.  Trey would play much more of a Jerry style than warren as would several other choices.

Soldier Field would not be in the cards for me.

However, if the show were more "local", I would have to gauge my level as "somewhat interested".  It might just be fun to go for a nice summer party!

I have seen most of the Grateful Dead reincarnations over the years, so I do not feel stoked by the nostalgia bug to see this next one.  Unfortunately, the last few times I saw Further were a little disappointing for a variety of reasons not relevant to this conversation.  Just let it be said that since finding DSO, I haven't even been checking tour schedules for Further, Phil and Friends, and/or Ratdog. 

My interest level may move up a notch if they promise that neither Phil or Bobby will be singing any Jerry songs.  I love Bobby as a vocalist....but not on Jerry songs.  From a style standpoint, they are far too different in the way they delivery a lyric and I find that Bobby's style does not suit Garcia songs very well.  As far as Phil singing the Jerry role.....Phil's voice just gets in the way of my enjoyment of the music way too much.

I am not a huge Phish fan......but I think Trey is a GREAT guitarist.  If they are looking for a different approach to the Garcia role, I am sure he will do an excellent job.  That guy can flat out play.  If they are looking to make the best possible "Grateful Dead" music, why not ask Kadlecik?  No one is more schooled in the nuances of Garcia and no one would stay truer to the course (with the exception of Mattson that is).  I think he has fit in much better than Warren Haynes, or any of the other lead guitarists they have used over the years. 

If they happen to give me a call and ask my opinion of what their line-up should be......I say ask Joan Osborne or Susan Tedeschi to sing Jerry songs.  I thought each of them did an OUTSTANDING job when they toured with the band about 10 years ago, respectively.  They each gave a fresh approach to the lyrics without sounding out of place.  I fear that Trey as a vocalist excites me about as much as Phil. 

All that being said.....I made a promise to the heavens many years ago that as long as they keep showing up to perform, I will keep showing up to listen and dance.  I owe them at least that in return for all the of the enrichment they have added to my life.  Do you think they heard me?  I guess I must attend regardless of my interest.  Oh well. 

Anyways, there is no need for nostalgia in this community.  The music is alive and well.  It is the hands of some very responsible stewards.  Keep going DSO!

• Forum MVP

Huck, thats the problem.  

Jerry's credo was never lets get the biggest crowd.  The 50th anniversary should show love to the old timers, those that came long before me that have been supporting this music and all its incarnations since before I was born.  Kimock and Warren would not put on a show I truly want to see, but at least they would be people from the Dead's generation.  Having Trey play guitar is a complete slap in the face to old school fans, the purist.  It's saying fuck the 40/50 years old we only care about the 18 to 30 crowd.  Trey will bring in a very large crowd of the type of people I wish would stay on Phish tour and throw trash in their parking lots.  Trey has nothing to do with the 50th anniversary of the dead or keeping Jerry's spirit alive and please don't give me that bull shit he played briefly in Phil and Friend.  Do you want Ryan Adams on lead?

• Forum MVP

Hey Donna used to annoy me most of the time back in the day, but there were some nights that I enjoyed her also. She was a member of the GD, as too was TC albeit for a shorter time. How can they have a so called reunion without them? Let TC play a song, and let Donna do her thing. I think it's a slap , especially to her. They are probably out because they don't want to pay them. Like Rick said, Trey will bring a lot of fans.

• Forum MVP

For all the reasons, set forth above, I'm out. Way, way out. Not only does this have the potential to alienate if not disenfranchise the 40/50 crowd, but also those of us in the 50/60 crowd who are still ambulatory. As long as I can walk I'm sure I will try to dance, but not to the sounds of this incarnation known as the TD.

Hey Donna used to annoy me most of the time back in the day, but there were some nights that I enjoyed her also. She was a member of the GD, as too was TC albeit for a shorter time. How can they have a so called reunion without them? Let TC play a song, and let Donna do her thing. I think it's a slap , especially to her. They are probably out because they don't want to pay them. Like Rick said, Trey will bring a lot of fans.

I have to agree with this as well. Pretty sad if it's about the $/ Tix sales concerning who is in/out.

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Is money really an issue for these guys? That would pick the guitarist based on this?

Opinions are opinions... None are right or wrong.

That being said, I'm not going if Warren or Trey are in. In ok with Kimock; his guitar playing is innovative and electrifying at times. I like his sound in ratdog. Jerryb liked him too, fwiw. The downfall here is no voice... Meaning Phil and Bob splitting the Jerry songs.

JK... Sure, works for me. Makes sense. I'm personally more excited to see his 'wingmen' band.

I would pick Stu Allen. He's got the voice. Maybe throw in Kimock as well.

No messing with DSO so Jeff is out.

I don't really care, though. Short of Jerry being revived from the dead I will not be going to Chicago

• Forum MVP

Donna not being invited was a no brainer. The band was happy she was gone and let's be honest she was in the band b/c Keith. I do prefer a Playin with her but she was never a core member. I'm not trash talking her btw. This isn't a tribute to the dead. This is The core 4 playing together. She wasn't involved with the other ones or The Dead so why would she be invited now.

Archived