GD 50TH Reunion

August West

• Forum MVP

Solider Field may not sell out due to the prices but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. As PC correctly pointed out The knucklehead factor will be high and there might be upwards of 200K folks (50K will have tickets) descending on that place. For that reason alone - no thank you.

As for the musicians: Stu, JK, Warren, Kimock? Trey is talented but not the guy for this unless you like your GD music whimsical.

I'm sure it will be a good time but the music and aspects of the scene could end up in the train wreck category. No matter - I'll be sitting this one out.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

In addition to inevitably sky high ticket prices, I would also point out that most Dead related gigs that have happened post-Jerry has been smaller in scale with more intimate settings (than large stadiums). Going to a show with over 60,000 people is just a complete turnoff now and not part of something I am ever interested in recreating from the 'good ol days'. And as uninterested as I am in this potential lineup I also admit that I would likely put some energy into streaming it, out of curiosity...while doing the chores around the house,, as gr8fulpair said.

• Advisory Board

Every post Jerry iteration of the Phil and Bob show has left me deflated.

Mattson or JK would have been fabulous (as long as they sang Jerry's songs).

Donna may have not been "core" as in a founding member, and was annoying at times, but was a card holding, red blooded, full fledged member of the Grateful Dead (and the Jerry Garcia Band) and I would have loved to hear her in any true reunion. TC in his one year (1969) more than earned his place in any reunion. And what about Crew? Healy, Cutler...

And regarding Keys/Organ, who else but Barraco? Who else could lend vocals to Pigpen and Brent?

To me this is not just another Phil experiment taking the Grateful Dead to some other level. This is the 50th anniversary. A time to go back to roots, not grow new branches. Not for me anyway. Sadly, this is exactly what I expected from the "management". I hope when something official is announced I will be happily surprised.

Dr. B B)

• Forum MVP

This will be the last go around for both the boys and us. So, no matter what shape the band takes I'll be at as many shows as possible. There is a preferred group that I would like to hear (core 4, Bruce, Kimock), but I'm not calling the shots. It's either take it or leave it. I just hope that some shows happen this summer and I can go on my merry little way with fond memories.

• Forum MVP

I love your attitude cmhayden. I'm usually on the stay positive and support track. If it's trey, I will have to find my own way to make peace with it. I'm not leaving colorado to say goodbye. I would go if I thought it was possible for them to take me there. They didnt do much of that over 9 shows in 09. I feel worse about trey than I do about Warren and I like niether.

Trey would be a safe play and would sell a TON of tickets. After all, that appears to be a major focus of this all goes down. The economics of it all.

I personally think JK has earned the spot and that would be my preference. I love Trey (and Phish for that matter). 100x better than other guitarists and shows would be interesting.

That being said, I'll be on the beach with my kids that weekend.

I think Trey is a excellent choice. He can sing well and plays a magical guitar. Listen to Phil when Trey played lead. Took me years to get Trey. Then I did. I love Kimock, Warren, Matt, and JK. They are all fabulous guitar players. If the Dead picked Trey it was with good reason. Contempt prior to investigation keeps a man in everlasting ignorance.

• Forum MVP

Ignorance is bliss. My opinion on trey is well founded. I've seen phish over 20 times. I saw GRAB. I've listen to shows he played with phil. I don't really enjoy any of it. I certainly don't think it pays homage to the past. A lot of people like his playing. Not going to change my mind on it. Ticket sales may be the driving force. I know a lot of people are going to go and get down. My attendance won't be missed.

• Forum MVP

Torn between Mason's and cm_ attitudes. Really difficult decision but in the end if Trey plays Jerry I am out. Any other mentioned above would change my mind.

Besides not particularly enamored with Trey guitar playing I refuse to let anything "Phish" ruin another party of mine. When their fans started attending Dead shows the scene detoriated quickly. IMHO no coincedence.

I could not disagree more with the majority sentiment of this thread. I am not a huge Phish fan but I do think that Trey is the most accomplished player and will pay homage to Garcia with respect and reverence.  But frankly I really don't care who the Guitar player is I will be there for the Core Four out of love for the music and what it has given me.  There is no bigger DSO fan than me but it is comical how critical some DSO fans are about some so called "money grab" it's ridiculous.  Who gives a shit if they make some money in the process.  The criticism is over the top and embarassing  for fans of a band (DSO whom I love) that would not exist if Weir, Lesh Etc were never around....Get over yourselves...Jeez....Why so cynical? I was there in Chicago at the Uptown in 1978 and will be there in Chicago in the Summer of 2015....Those that don't think these show will sell out are delusional. Garcia is gone but his spirit is strong. 50 years later.  The other thing is that my respect for Bob Weir is through the roof. That Cat deserves an incredible amount of love  and support and he will get it from me for fighting the good fight all these years. A working musician.  It's been well earned.

• Forum MVP

Let everyone have their opinion without putting them down. I certainly don't think that there is anything wrong with disagreeing with the guitarist selection. No one is obligated to go just because 'the boys' are playing. I go to shows to enjoy the music and dance, not because of some sense of obligation or devotion or any bs like that.

• Forum MVP

I really understand I will be there for the core 4 and what the music has given me. That's my only reason to go. Give us a colorado date and I will be there. Otherwise I will satisfy my curiosity via stream. More money that they will get. I don't give 2 fucks if they make money. They've earned that right. I've earned my right to have an opinion and spend mine where I want. I'm surprised you see a vote not to go to be so disparaging to the core 4. So many are clearly torn by this. I won't see trey period. The core 4 makes me think about it. I don't do stadium shows. Core 4 makes me think about it. The funny thing is I will probably show in chicago for one of the nights but that's cause I can't get over myself and my ego feels the need to say goodbye. If I can get over myself, I know I can do that my own way.

I think mango said it better.

• Forum MVP

The fact is there is NO replacement for Jerry. Trey was a legitimate deadhead who formed a band with other deadheads making their own music. And it wasn't Phosh heads who "ruined" the dead scene. It was the people who followed with no intention of buying tickets and just were there to deal or scam or otherwise make money off the deadheads. It was gate crashers and thieves and the mentally ill who ruined it.

• Forum MVP

I wasn't there when phish and the dead coexisted. I know from my experience today that the scene and community at dso surpasses that at any other show for me. Even furthur. I hate to say it because I trash on my generation but young hippies today 18 to 30, I'm in that group, in general don't seem to have the requisite respect for their community, neighbors, and environment. Phish brings in this element but so would any stadium show. It comes down to his playing and limited funds. Definitely agree with mango that for me devotion to this music would be a silly reason to go but is still why you may see me there.

• Forum MVP

It was the people who followed with no intention of buying tickets and just were there to deal or scam or otherwise make money off the deadheads. It was gate crashers and thieves and the mentally ill who ruined it.

I thought those were Phish Heads, in any case they resembled Manson young hippies of today. And like them, in all honestly go just for the spectacle (except with ticket!) and core 4 respect.

At least the reunion was at Alpine Valley! Memories of Soldier Field more melancholy

• Forum MVP

This ‘THING” has more layers than I was conscious of when I first heard the rumors.

On one hand:  This music is a huge part of my life now and during my formative years as well.  I can tell you that it will be a part of my life until I breathe my last breath.  I never would have travelled all around this country and seen so many amazing places and met so many amazing people if it weren’t for the GD.  Just like everything in life, it came with a cost but faced with a chance to do it over, I’d take that ride again.  There were so many moments where I said it can’t get any better than this – and it did.  There were so many moments where I thought it can’t get any lower than this – and it did.  It was the ultimate thrill-ride and at the center was this musical narrative that seemed to be telling me the story of my life – down to the most personal detail.  The GD (Read:  Jerry) was able to tap into an energy that was so unique, so vast, so expansive but also was so comforting and transformative.  I tried to find IT other places but never found the right wavelength.   Not even close, actually.

All of this to say:  A part of me wants to be a part of the Last Waltz.  It is apples to oranges with Jerry gone but I do have a profound respect for the rest of the band and their roles in making it what it was for me and so many others like me.  Some real nostalgia is fluttering through me and I think it might be nice to circle-back with some old friends and see this iteration give it one final go – one final bow.  I have so many excuses why I wouldn’t go:  Stadium show, knuckleheads, tickets prices, travel cost, spousal exasperation, family demands, and work demands – the list goes on-and-on.   Then there’s the question about the quality of the play.  Whomever leads the ship (Read: Phil), it might be more enjoyable than what I think is possible.  I’ll probably convince myself that I can’t make it work and then be scrambling for a stream just to keep even the smallest connection to what might unfold.

I could give one rat’s ass about what it costs or how much the band is being paid to do it.  If they want to do ‘something’ and people want to be a part of it, the sky’s the limit.  My idealism over artists being economically compassionate to their fans was shattered a long time ago.  Case and Point:  Bob Dylan is a Chrysler fan.  I think the shows will be a good time but the days of Stadiums, HUGE crowds, rows of nitrous tanks, fake tickets, legions of wooks and gangsta's are over.  I’ll leave it to those who either don’t mind or don’t care.

Thank heavens for DSO and the level at which they express this music.  They fill my cup much in the same way the GD did and keep finding another gear.  If it wasn’t for them, I would be cultivating my plans for the 4th of July weekend. 

Sorry for the blog.

• Forum MVP

It was the people who followed with no intention of buying tickets and just were there to deal or scam or otherwise make money off the deadheads. It was gate crashers and thieves and the mentally ill who ruined it.

I thought those were Phish Heads, in any case they resembled Manson young hippies of today. And like them, in all honestly go just for the spectacle (except with ticket!) and core 4 respect.

At least the reunion was at Alpine Valley! Memories of Soldier Field more melancholy

The Phish heads tended to be a little nerdier. Panic heads a little more agressive.

• Forum MVP

I'm pretty much in Tea's camp (or too lazy to write that much) but I don't feel I have to attend to pay respects. As with many things I'll relate this to sports and say I love watching football at the highest level (pun intended) regardless of who's in the uniforms. Everybody does this for their own reasons so at the end of the day FOR ME I just want to hear this music played live at the highest level. I gave the Grateful Dead my love, respect, money, devotion and they gave me unadulterated bliss for 10 formative years in my life. I don't owe them anything I haven't already given them, and they don't owe me anything. I've rediscovered that bliss through a band called DSO. I wouldn't pay/travel to go see Joe Montana give it one more go when I can stay local and go see Cam Newton light it up at a high level. I spent an ass load of money in 2002 to travel to Alpine Valley to see the first reunion, only to hear Phil sing Morning Dew. You get the analogy. No lack of respect, no lack of love, just doing what feels good.

Archived