GD 50TH Reunion

August West

• Forum MVP

My personal excuses for not going are just excuses of my own.They boil down to the fact that I gave a fuck load and it is a lot to give a little bit more. Now, if I'm around for the GD Centennial, that will be something I won't miss.

• Replies 497
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

In a sense I contradict myself; I say all opinions are allowed and then declared devotion as 'bs'...this too is an opinion, I suppose....

...oy vey...

Let me just say that I really don't care. Jerry is dead so there is no Grateful Dead. I hope they don't call it that. there are a multitude of quality dead bands out there....that seems to be the future of GD music to me, a variety of takes on the original idea. 

Frankly, I have my doubts that a reunion will even happen. Bobby can't keep his shit together, Phil is making loads playing at his cozy little venues at 150$ a pop, and the drummers are well past their prime. And Bruce Hornsby...didn't that already fail once? Please...not knockin the guy, I think that he is a fantastically talented piano player but he kind of just doesn't get the Dead. I agree with the sentiment that if he is involved then so should Donna(who was in the band for way longer). TC? Nah~

blah blah

back to my homework. Writing a research paper on the effects of Toxicity on Obesity and weight loss.  Fascinating stuff~

• Forum MVP
Phil is making loads playing at his cozy little venues at 150$ a pop...

A technicality, but Phil shows are typically only $80 a pop now.  I guess he figured since he owns the place than $80 was sufficient.

As for the 50th reunion, a stadium show sounds grotesque.  And frankly, as does any guitarist short of JK.  Other choices, for one reason or another, just don't make sense.

I could not disagree more with the majority sentiment of this thread. I am not a huge Phish fan but I do think that Trey is the most accomplished player and will pay homage to Garcia with respect and reverence.  But frankly I really don't care who the Guitar player is I will be there for the Core Four out of love for the music and what it has given me.  There is no bigger DSO fan than me but it is comical how critical some DSO fans are about some so called "money grab" it's ridiculous.  Who gives a shit if they make some money in the process.  The criticism is over the top and embarassing  for fans of a band (DSO whom I love) that would not exist if Weir, Lesh Etc were never around....Get over yourselves...Jeez....Why so cynical? I was there in Chicago at the Uptown in 1978 and will be there in Chicago in the Summer of 2015....Those that don't think these show will sell out are delusional. Garcia is gone but his spirit is strong. 50 years later.  The other thing is that my respect for Bob Weir is through the roof. That Cat deserves an incredible amount of love  and support and he will get it from me for fighting the good fight all these years. A working musician.  

Why attribute cynicism from DSO fans. I for one am a fan of Grateful Dead music and I will not pay to hear the Grateful Dead music butchered the way I have at most post Dead shows. It is true that I think DSO presents the music better than any other band or reincarnation today but my feelings come from a desire to have it brought right or not at all! I have seen the Grateful Dead since Roosevelt 74 and caught the bug in 76. I have respect for the music that was created and played for years. As a Grateful Dead fan the idea of possible EXTREME capitalizing is offensive to me and should be for every deadhead! On another note, the possibility of phil singing Jerry songs smells like ego and is an insult to the beauty of what Garcia brought to this music. This is equally offensive to me. My statement “I’d rather sandpaper my eyes” is an exaggeration but I would rather pay a $125 traffic ticket than pay $150 to be offended.

Ever try to go back to your hometown to remember the goodtimes only to see the rustic swamp/pond turned into a manicured park? Go to your favorite fields you played in as a kid to see condos? 

• Advisory Board

It all comes down to your definition of "50th Anniversary" and what that should mean.

To me that is the time to look back and pay tribute to where you came from and what you achieved. In this context it means honoring those gone such as Jerry, Pigpen and Brent, all of which shaped the sound beyond measure (some may add Keith here and I would not object). It means honoring the contributions of those still around yet marginalized since the bands demise such as Donna, Billy and Mickey.

Honoring would mean including those still alive and tastefully playing the music of those gone in a way that connects to their essences.

To me what it does not mean is another Phil and Friends romp where Phil does the reinterpreting of everything, including Jerry's voice. It does not mean some experimental take on Jerry's playing style, only a Garcia style guitar such as Mattson, or JK would pay homage. It certainly doesn't mean overlooking the massive Pigpen and Brent footprints on the true Grateful Dead.

Whatever. It seems that if rumors be true this is just an opportunity to use the name "Grateful Dead" while continuing the evolution of Phils gig and throwing Billy and Mickey a bone. But that I guess is the price to pay for using the name "Grateful Dead". I don't care about the cashing in part or even the stadium aspect, I really care about what it all represents and to me it should be a celebration of where the band came from, not where Phil wants to take it. 

Dr. B  B)

• Forum MVP

From Bill Kreutzmann's Twitter Feed:

bk_web_normal.jpgBill Kreutzmann@BKreutzmann · 12 hrs12 hours ago

Between Billy & the Kids, Deal, other new projects, and an anniversary, it's shaping up to be an incredible 2015. Let's make it grate!

More gasoline for the fire.

Carry On....

EDIT: 

It's official:

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/123767/Grateful-Dead-Celebration-With-Anastasio-and-Hornsby-In-Chicago

Have at it

• Forum MVP

Here comes the hype machine.  I think it will get worked into a pretty good frenzy:

982365.jpg

I can't believe that Shappy is billing it as the Grateful Dead - and that the band was ok with this, WOW.  It's all about the 'brand' I guess....  

This may be a little hard to look at:

982367.jpg

Ticket Info

Tickets will be offered through Grateful Dead Ticketing mail order, internet presale, as well as a public on sale via Ticketmaster.

• Grateful Dead Ticketing mail order begins January 20th click here for more details.
  • Dead pre sale begins Feb 12th @ 10 a.m. CST via Dead Online Ticketing. Pre-registration is encouraged, but not required. Before checking out, all users must create an account after tickets are added and before completing the transaction.
  • Public on sale is Feb 14th @ 10 a.m. CST via Ticketmaster.
  • We are excited to team up with CID Entertainment to offer VIP and Travel packages to enhance your experience in Chicago! VIP Experiences include amazing seats and amenities. Travel Packages offer a wide range of hotel choices in the Chicago area with your choice of ticket package and round-trip transportation to Soldier Field.

There will be a general admission pit directly in front of the stage ($99.50). Reserved tickets range from $59.50-$199.50. See seating chart.

All mail order and Dead Online Ticketing purchasers will receive commemorative Fare Thee Well tickets, designed with art selected by Grateful Dead Ticketing from the mail order envelopes submitted by fans.

If you attempt to purchase tickets from an online ticket reseller prior to February 12th they are likely to be counterfeit.

http://www.dead50.com/

It's all good...however and wherever you want to celebrate the music  is up to that individual.  I do believe there is a vocal minority of DSO fans mostly younger that haven't a clue and that is ok too.  I would not expect 20 somethings to have a historical context but it is embarassing to hear them start riffing on Bobby, Phil etc. It's just in poor taste.   I just think the band Dark Star Orchestra has much more respect for the Grateful Dead (all of them) than do some of the younger fans of  the band. And I think proper respect is appropriate given the nature of what Dark Strar Orchestra is.   Flame me if you will, just one persons opinion.  Usually it is those that believe that all the Grateful Dead ever was and ever will be was and is  Garcia.  A fair opinion, but one that does not historically hold water in my opinon. I believe Garcia if he has not gotten his due already will go down as one of the top 5  impactful artists of the 20th century. But I aslo believe Bob Weir is one of the most important figures in music in the last 50 years.  An incredible musician actually.  So even it  is Weir alone on the stage saying farewell and fucking up his lyrics I'm there to tip my cap. But that's just me and me alone.

• Forum MVP

It is billed as "Celebrating 50 Years of Grateful Dead" Not as the Grateful Dead......With the names of the players underneath.

Just saw that - thanks for taking a longer peek than I did :)

• Forum MVP

As I stated in previous posts I completely agree with you Randi. If it isn't a "money grab" where the hell is Donna? She was a full fledged MEMBER of the Grateful Dead!

And Muddy I really don't give a rats ass what you say. I am no kid. I have been seeing the Dead and it's offshoots since 77'. I have given alot, and then some. I have ultimate respect for those guys and the joy they have brought me throughout the years, but I owe them nothing.  

You all have a grand old time with The Treyful Dead. I'll be in my happy place with DSO.

• Forum MVP

I feel like insult aside, Donna may have sang for free if that was the condition. Maybe I'm wrong. Randi would know better than I but I just feel like to be apart of this money wouldn't have been the sticking point on Donna end.

I also totally agree Donna should be on the bus...I'm a rare breed (lol) a big Donna fan......And I will repeat I  think the money thing is way overblown...

If they really were going after the gold hard....They would milk the 50th for a spring, summer and fall tour and do 50 shows on the their 50th.....Come on Man it's 3 gigs!!!!!!!!

Money is not front and center here...Sorry....

• Forum MVP

From reading these articles online it seems that the dead should have just fired Jerry and replaced him with trey a long time ago b/c this is a "match made in hippie heaven". The hype machine is running full speed. They are trying to make this like its a combo of the 2 biggest jam bands but ita trey doing Jerry, not You enjoy myself>Stella blue>maze. Refardless I want to go so....not sure if I can say fuck the beach but that sentiment is in my heart atm.

• Forum MVP

I think that to say money isn't a factor is a little naive.  If this was about the music and honoring the fans plus Jerry, I feel you would be playing slightly more intimate venues in all the major dead demographic cities.  Yes, overall the band would probably make more money doing a full 18 gig 10 city tour, but they would also give more fans a chance to share in the experience.  They would make way less per gig and they would have to show true camaraderie and brotherhood by traveling with each other for 4 weeks.  I'm not saying this is feasible.  I don't think Phil will ever tour like that again.  He's old.  The money aspect doesn't bother me.  I hope they can cash in for themselves and their families.  I want everyone to get theres and to do well.  

I'm going to stay out on this one. 

Maybe even throw in a free Golden Gate park show, that seems in the spirit of the Grateful Dead.

• Forum MVP

From reading these articles online it seems that the dead should have just fired Jerry and replaced him with trey a long time ago b/c this is a "match made in hippie heaven". The hype machine is running full speed. They are trying to make this like its a combo of the 2 biggest jam bands but ita trey doing Jerry, not You enjoy myself>Stella blue>maze. Refardless I want to go so....not sure if I can say fuck the beach but that sentiment is in my heart atm.

I don't think Shappy or Phil are keen on a set of Gamehenge each nite.

Archived